Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Status
Not open for further replies.
in Canada what is the time frame for someone, anyone, not just these guys, to be declared dead after missing, like for insurance purpose or remarriage purpose? I would think a lot longer than a month. why think these guys would be dead this fast? I do see how they could be, but them in fact dead without a body....

If the police concluded they were dead, and this is the reason they left and said their work was done (in terms of the river search), I believe the police would make some statement to that effect, if only to set local minds at rest. (Edited as what I wrote made no sense.]

Last edited:
I wonder how differently a case like this is handled in USA and NSW where Stephen Fowler has experience. Are family members who’ve lost loved ones in a violent crime kept more informed about details during the investigation? In the case of Stephen Fowler and his years of experience if victim’s family are kept more informed this must be a huge frustration for him. Are there rules about putting in a FOI request? Could the Deese or Fowler family do that if they were so inclined or it something you must be in Canada or a citizen to do so?

Every State has it's own way of doing things (e.g.: Sunshine Law, Florida), so it's impossible to compare law and practice in the USA to Canada.

Prosecutors will discuss a case with victims when preparing for trial, but if there is no arrest, there's no case to discuss. I would expect the RCMP to update the families, to maybe release information to them prior to releasing it to the public, but I doubt there would be any inside information.

It looks like anyone can make a request under the freedom of information act.

Making a request under the Access to Information Act | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

“The mayor of Gillam said the stretch of river near where the items were found is very turbulent.

"It would not be a river that many people would survive. It's not something you would go swimming in," said Dwayne Forman....”
https://www.cbc.ca/amp/1.5237174?__twitter_impression=true
To me, the "items found on shore" means they were found ON shore as in, not washed up on the edge of the shore or strewn along the shore. More of a possible spot for these guys to have camped or rested for a while.

If the police concluded they were dead, and this is the reason they left and said their work was done (in terms of the river search), I do not think this means the police have determined they are deceased. If this were the case, I believe the police would make some statement to that effect, if only to set local minds at rest.

They did make a statement to that effect, IMO. (emphasis added by me)

"“If we thought people were here, we would not be leaving,” he said. “The only time we would scale down is because at the end of the day, we are of the mindset and the belief that after everything we have done, we don’t see any likelihood of those suspects posing a threat at this point.”"

From: Belongings of B.C. fugitives found on Manitoba shore; RCMP says latest search coming to an end

As far as I'm concerned they basically said they were dead without actually coming right out and saying it.

What exactly proves they are alive, Otto?

Last week everyone was convinced that they were eaten by bugs or bears, delirious from exposure or hypothermia. On August 2, 11 days after they burned the car and 9km distance from the car, personal items were found on the shore of the Nelson river - something no one expected. Clearly the bugs, bears and weather did not kill them.

There are friends of BS and his family on social media saying he wasn't involved and didn't/couldn't have done it, just as posters here claim.
I’d say two words to these people: Dylan Klebold. None of his friends or family would have thought he would become a mass murderer, but having the right personality type and emotional problems that he was having made him perfect prey for Eric Harris.

Please understand I hold Dylan fully accountable for his actions because he knew right from wrong and not coerced in any way, but I think he open to persuasion, and unfortunately it was Harris who persuaded him. It may have been possible if any other friend had persuaded him to do something positive, he would have ended up doing something productive and positive and found help for his depression.

So, it may be true that BS was not a bad person all by himself, but became one with the right encouragement.

Last week everyone was convinced that they were eaten by bugs or bears, delirious from exposure or hypothermia. On August 2, 11 days after they burned the car and 9km distance from the car, personal items were found on the shore of the Nelson river - something no one expected. Clearly the bugs, bears and weather did not kill them.

We still don’t know they didn’t burn the car and end up drowning in the space of just a few hours. The items being found is not proof that they were even alive the day after they dumped the car let alone still alive a day or two ago.

in Canada what is the time frame for someone, anyone, not just these guys, to be declared dead after missing, like for insurance purpose or remarriage purpose? I would think a lot longer than a month. why think these guys would be dead this fast? I do see how they could be, but them in fact dead without a body....
There appears to be no specific time frame. Presumption of Death Act

Why haven't they been formally charged for the death of Lucas and Chynna? I'm seriously starting to doubt they were involved with those two.

It’s been almost two weeks since since the RCMP said they are getting things together to file charges. With the amount of man power they have assigned to the case I’m also wondering why they haven’t yet been able to announce that charges for the deaths of Fowler and Deese have filed, accepted and finalized. The standard answers regarding the lack of charges are basically non-answers.

B.C. RCMP said Thursday its investigators are hard at work on getting those additional charges approved.
“I know for the investigators that’s a priority for them,” spokesperson Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said. “I don’t have a timeline, but we’re working really hard. We anticipate them, but we don’t know what that looks like.”
Shoihet said detectives are currently compiling information for the B.C. Prosecution Service to review for potential charges.

B.C. RCMP say they’re still working on charging suspects for Fowler, Deese murders

To me, the "items found on shore" means they were found ON shore as in, not washed up on the edge of the shore or strewn along the shore. More of a possible spot for these guys to have camped or rested for a while.

This was the original RCMP press release, below. It does appear police suspected a possible connection between the damaged boat and the items.

“On August 2, 2019, RCMP located several items on the shoreline, approximately 9 km from where the burnt vehicle was located. RCMP have confirmed that these items are directly linked to the suspects. That same day, a damaged boat was also found along the Nelson River.

Based on this information, RCMP Underwater Recovery Team (URT) were immediately deployed. On August 4, 2019, URT conducted a thorough underwater search approximately 29 metres around the location where the boat was found. The search did not uncover any additional items linked to the suspects...”
Update - RCMP Underwater Recovery Team completes a search of the Nelson River | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

Every State has it's own way of doing things (e.g.: Sunshine Law, Florida), so it's impossible to compare law and practice in the USA to Canada.

Prosecutors will discuss a case with victims when preparing for trial, but if there is no arrest, there's no case to discuss. I would expect the RCMP to update the families, to maybe release information to them prior to releasing it to the public, but I doubt there would be any inside information.

It looks like anyone can make a request under the freedom of information act.

Making a request under the Access to Information Act | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

One example of how long it took to declare someone dead. It took one year.

Son of missing Alta. couple accepts his parents are gone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member