Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #12

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Strangeworld, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moonlitnight

Moonlitnight Well-Known Member

What exactly proves they are alive, Otto?

Errrr, sprucetip, Tili and 2 others like this.

2. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

3. 1987

1987 Well-Known Member

in Canada what is the time frame for someone, anyone, not just these guys, to be declared dead after missing, like for insurance purpose or remarriage purpose? I would think a lot longer than a month. why think these guys would be dead this fast? I do see how they could be, but them in fact dead without a body....

PatLaurel, Moonlitnight and dotr like this.
  4. Moonlitnight

If the police concluded they were dead, and this is the reason they left and said their work was done (in terms of the river search), I believe the police would make some statement to that effect, if only to set local minds at rest. (Edited as what I wrote made no sense.]

Last edited: Aug 7, 2019
    steelybird, PatLaurel, dotr and 2 others like this.
  5. KR72

KR72 Well-Known Member

Yes, and I doubt it's related, but some people believe they got out of the Gillam area somehow, and hopefully the deceased isn't a victim of theirs (just thinking that they would have traveled through The Pas to get to Gillam.

6. otto

otto Verified Expert

Every State has it's own way of doing things (e.g.: Sunshine Law, Florida), so it's impossible to compare law and practice in the USA to Canada.

Prosecutors will discuss a case with victims when preparing for trial, but if there is no arrest, there's no case to discuss. I would expect the RCMP to update the families, to maybe release information to them prior to releasing it to the public, but I doubt there would be any inside information.

It looks like anyone can make a request under the freedom of information act.

Making a request under the Access to Information Act | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

7. sprucetip

sprucetip Well-Known Member

To me, the "items found on shore" means they were found ON shore as in, not washed up on the edge of the shore or strewn along the shore. More of a possible spot for these guys to have camped or rested for a while.

8. musicaljoke

musicaljoke Well-Known Member

Could someone please tell me how to pronounce Chynna's name? I've been saying "China", but really don't know if that's correct or not.

9. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Former Member

They did make a statement to that effect, IMO. (emphasis added by me)

"“If we thought people were here, we would not be leaving,” he said. “The only time we would scale down is because at the end of the day, we are of the mindset and the belief that after everything we have done, we don’t see any likelihood of those suspects posing a threat at this point.”"

From: Belongings of B.C. fugitives found on Manitoba shore; RCMP says latest search coming to an end

As far as I'm concerned they basically said they were dead without actually coming right out and saying it.

10. otto

otto Verified Expert

Last week everyone was convinced that they were eaten by bugs or bears, delirious from exposure or hypothermia. On August 2, 11 days after they burned the car and 9km distance from the car, personal items were found on the shore of the Nelson river - something no one expected. Clearly the bugs, bears and weather did not kill them.

steelybird, grannygates, Tili and 2 others like this.
  11. Gina20

Gina20 Well-Known Member

News media pronounce it that way.

12. TristanP

TristanP Well-Known Member

I’d say two words to these people: Dylan Klebold. None of his friends or family would have thought he would become a mass murderer, but having the right personality type and emotional problems that he was having made him perfect prey for Eric Harris.

Please understand I hold Dylan fully accountable for his actions because he knew right from wrong and not coerced in any way, but I think he open to persuasion, and unfortunately it was Harris who persuaded him. It may have been possible if any other friend had persuaded him to do something positive, he would have ended up doing something productive and positive and found help for his depression.

So, it may be true that BS was not a bad person all by himself, but became one with the right encouragement.

13. aphoto

aphoto Verified Photojournalist

We still don’t know they didn’t burn the car and end up drowning in the space of just a few hours. The items being found is not proof that they were even alive the day after they dumped the car let alone still alive a day or two ago.

SteveP, sripey, Stargazer34 and 9 others like this.
  14. Moonlitnight

There appears to be no specific time frame. Presumption of Death Act

otto, PatLaurel, 1987 and 1 other person like this.
  15. scrappinkat

scrappinkat Well-Known Member

It’s been almost two weeks since since the RCMP said they are getting things together to file charges. With the amount of man power they have assigned to the case I’m also wondering why they haven’t yet been able to announce that charges for the deaths of Fowler and Deese have filed, accepted and finalized. The standard answers regarding the lack of charges are basically non-answers.

B.C. RCMP said Thursday its investigators are hard at work on getting those additional charges approved.
    “I know for the investigators that’s a priority for them,” spokesperson Sgt. Janelle Shoihet said. “I don’t have a timeline, but we’re working really hard. We anticipate them, but we don’t know what that looks like.”
    Shoihet said detectives are currently compiling information for the B.C. Prosecution Service to review for potential charges.

B.C. RCMP say they’re still working on charging suspects for Fowler, Deese murders

otto, Gina20 and MistyWaters like this.
  16. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

This was the original RCMP press release, below. It does appear police suspected a possible connection between the damaged boat and the items.

“On August 2, 2019, RCMP located several items on the shoreline, approximately 9 km from where the burnt vehicle was located. RCMP have confirmed that these items are directly linked to the suspects. That same day, a damaged boat was also found along the Nelson River.

Based on this information, RCMP Underwater Recovery Team (URT) were immediately deployed. On August 4, 2019, URT conducted a thorough underwater search approximately 29 metres around the location where the boat was found. The search did not uncover any additional items linked to the suspects...”
    Update - RCMP Underwater Recovery Team completes a search of the Nelson River | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

17. JuneBug67

JuneBug67 Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know if the items found on shore appeared to be left there or washed up there. I don’t think that’s been made clear.

Edit: haha...I see this has already been discussed! :)

steelybird, Tili, grannygates and 4 others like this.
  18. 1987

1987 Well-Known Member

we know they were alive at one point. we do not know they are dead. they may, might, could be dead. they also may might and could be alive.

steelybird, Moriarty, otto and 2 others like this.
  19. Gina20

Gina20 Well-Known Member

One example of how long it took to declare someone dead. It took one year.

Son of missing Alta. couple accepts his parents are gone

otto and 1987 like this.
  20. copkid

copkid Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.