Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #16

Discussion in 'Crimes in the News' started by Strangeworld, Jul 19, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cartman

cartman Well-Known Member

When they found the bodies of KM and BS the police said they would be offering help to the Port Alberni families. I really hope that AS is included in that offer and that he has accepted the help.

janewall, superbee, mmsshh and 7 others like this.
  2. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Former Member

I suspect you're right that it destroyed him :( Even for a mentally healthy person, seeing a last goodbye from their son before they killed themselves would be devastating. Especially if the police have said anything about a confession being on the rest of the video. I really hope someone is looking after him.

It still doesn't make much sense though because people would have seen them in the area, so if the police went investigating, it would look suspicious that they didn't go where they said they were going. The better alibi would have been to actually continue where they said they were going.

sandbar, Bluedaisy100 and Zella like this.
  3. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Former Member

DBM

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    Zella likes this.
  4. Zella

Zella Well-Known Member

SBM

I sincerely hope he has been in touch with Victim Services and is getting help. This whole ordeal would be devastating for anyone to go through, and he seems especially vulnerable. And yeah I imagine that any of the relatives who viewed that video were shattered by it.

5. JuneBug67

JuneBug67 Well-Known Member

I think gun ownership really skews north/rural across the country as a whole. Pulling together various stats previously shared here, with a couple other ones added:

-Canada is 7th of 230 countries in the world in rates of guns per capita at 37 guns per 100 people
    -About 17% of Canadian adults own guns
    -With the exception of Calgary, urban gun ownership is around 3%
    -About 82% of the population lives in cities

It’s the 18% who don’t live in cities who make up the gap between the 3% urban ownership and the 17% national average. That paints a picture of guns being very common in the vast geography outside the cities - population distributions that likely echo Alaska, the Yukon etc.

6. cartman

cartman Well-Known Member

I also think about Bryer’s grandmother. This must be quite a shock for her :(
    Obviously it’s shocking for everyone but thinking of his grandmother living alone makes me sad.

7. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

What makes you think she lives alone?

1987, Optics, copkid and 1 other person like this.
  8. Esprite

Esprite Well-Known Member

With all due respect, I work directly with victims of family violence, and other family members involved. Statistics indicate that mass murders and associated suicides, are very common in domestic situations, both in Canada and the US.

As an aside, the trauma involved for family members of the perpetrator is often very deep because of the guilt involved for them that their loved one was capable of committing such violent and senseless acts.

What I appreciate about this forum is that those family members are also recognized as victims, according to the Rules that we are all expected to abide by.

9. sprucetip

sprucetip Well-Known Member

Agreed. I can’t see any of that footage coming out. Especially the goodbyes to the families, it should be private.

I could see the RCMP sharing the info in general but that’s about it.

10. 10ofRods

10ofRods Verified Anthropologist

Excellent points. And they didn't shoot up their school. They chose completely unknown (but happy and self sufficient) people.

I agree that packing all their belongings speaks to a different set of expectations than "we're going to go get ourselves killed/kill ourselves."

janewall, superbee, copkid and 7 others like this.
  11. Schmoosh

Schmoosh Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why you're intimating that I don't recognize family members as victims from a post where I said someone could burn a vehicle without leaving far from home. <shrug>

CanadianMade, MistyWaters and Zella like this.
  12. sprucetip

sprucetip Well-Known Member

Interesting, thx for sharing. Do you find the anti-gun sentiment in Vancouver that someone mentioned here to be accurate? I have some relatives in Van and they are not into guns at all but who knows, maybe that’s an inaccurate generalization?

Zella likes this.
  13. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

Do you remember what gave you the impression the accused families were being harassed by the public? I thought it was due to the media?

Schmoosh, Zella and KR72 like this.
  14. NJSleuth91

NJSleuth91 Former Member

Have you seen any internet comments on this case? Also, the media does the bidding of the public.

15. JuneBug67

JuneBug67 Well-Known Member

If he was paid for the 60 Minutes thing, does anybody know how long their “exclusive” rights might last? He may still be prevented from talking to other outlets at this point.

superbee, cherrytree9, srper2 and 3 others like this.
  16. KR72

KR72 Well-Known Member

My impression was that people in the town were being supportive and were annoyed by the media presence too. I could be misremembering though...

17. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

I have lived in several major cities in Canada, including Vancouver, Regina and Winnipeg. I'm not a particularly sheltered person but I have only ever met 1 person that owned guns, I can't think of anyone else I've crossed paths with that was a gun owner. It was my ex's father so my FIL, he had a huge collection and sadly my DH inherited many of them... I have had exposure to and used a few different types as being a member of the military, even the many guys I knew at that time I don't know that any owned their own weapons (maybe they did, I obviously didn't know everyone's personal inventory of assets).

18. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

That doesn’t answer my question. Where is it stated the Port Alberni families were being harassed by the public so they had to leave town?

Bluedaisy100 likes this.
  19. webbie

webbie On Time Out

Here goes nothing….

phones: If you want to avoid being located through your phone, all you need to do is disable it ie take out the sim card. In order to do that, all you need is a paper clip. Your phone can then still be used as a GPS through offline apps as well as a camera, video, making notes. I suggest that B&K were aware of this and took the precaution, at some point, to remove the sim cards. There’s got to be lots of selfies and videos on these phones, not just their last wishes.

<modsnip: removed drug discussion as there is nothing to substantiate drug involvement>

guns: wherever they got them, I’m sure they target practiced first and had plenty ammo. They knew they were going to use those guns. Probably didn’t know how many people they were to kill but I doubt they skimped on the ammo.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 21, 2019
  20. scrappinkat

scrappinkat Well-Known Member

I think that sentiment was a little too over generalized yes. There’s indoor ranges that hold well attended open nights for example, people can go and shoot in a controlled supervised environment with handguns provided. The ranges that are around Vancouver have long wait lists to become a member. I don’t think it’s something discussed generally, but when/if you do it’s surprising to see just who else is into shooting sports. It’s almost always someone you wouldn’t have guessed just by looks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.