Canada - Lucas Fowler, Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #19

Status
Not open for further replies.
And the fact that they showed it to multiple members of Bryer's family indicates that it wasn't just about the next of kin thing. Also, it's pretty obvious that the other members of Bryer's family didn't have to sign an NDA, because the information was leaked about the goodbye video within days.

Which members of Bryer's family saw the video? We know his mother and AS have seen the clip, but who else?

A lot of people have assumed Bryer's dad leaked the information about the goodbye video, but that actually makes zero sense. He is specifically legally forbidden from contacting the other members of Bryer's family. If he didn't know already about what was on the video or where Bryer's remains were, then it's clear that he was never in contact with them. He likely found out from the media like everyone else.

To be fair having a no contact order hasn't stopped AS before, he has a ten year history of violating such orders. It's just too coincidental that less than a day after AS sees the video, the media suddenly reports that "two sources" close to the investigation claim that the suspects made multiple videos imo. Also, in the initial report about the goodbye video, it was said that a "family member who hadn't seen the video" leaked the info to the media.

For sure, I agree with you, in principle. Even with recycled news, though, you have to be tuned to the station at the right time. I just don't think it's likely, these guys (probably B because K was driving?) would be fiddling with the radio tuner. I don't think patience, tenacity, or even a titch of focus or common sense is how they rolled...

Unless they were getting off on the thrill of their names and crimes being in the news?? Just a thought.

They may have panicked because one of them realized the RAV4 was picked up on CCTV or a passing vehicle's DVR and decided to chance it and escape on foot. I imagine them being hyped up by this stage, burning the vehicle was stupid.
They may have intended to carjack someone but luckily, for whatever reason, they couldn't manage it. Just some rambling thoughts.

I wonder if FM/AM radio could've been picked up on the car radio in the RAV4? They might have heard news announcements about the discovery of L and C's bodies, and that they were first said to be missing, later updated to suspects.

Could someone local chime in about radio reception in the area K & B travelled? :)

I can't answer to radio reception but they stopped at a few locations known to us and likely a few others. Every convenience store, gas station and small town store sell newspapers and the murders, the RCMP request they contact someone as well as every day they were on the run, was front page news.

I've always wondered if they shoplifted nothing more than a newspaper at Meadow Lake, just to see how famous they were becoming.

Which members of Bryer's family saw the video? We know his mother and AS have seen the clip, but who else?

We don't know, but it said multiple members saw it at the same time as his mom.

To be fair having a no contact order hasn't stopped AS before, he has a ten year history of violating such orders. It's just too coincidental that less than a day after AS sees the video, the media suddenly reports that "two sources" close to the investigation claim that the suspects made multiple videos imo. Also, in the initial report about the goodbye video, it was said that a "family member who hadn't seen the video" leaked the info to the media.

If he had violated the order he would have been arrested. Also I doubt they would have told him anything even if he harassed them. They didn't tell him about any funeral or burial plans.

For sure, I agree with you, in principle. Even with recycled news, though, you have to be tuned to the right station at the right time. I just don't think it's likely, these guys (probably B because K was driving?) would be fiddling with the radio tuner. I don't think patience, tenacity, or even a titch of focus or common sense is how they rolled...

A car radio in a RAV4 isn’t a complicated device and it auto scans available radio stations. It simpler to operate than an iPhone. Two of the three Gillam stations are talk/news - no music - which also broadcast across Canada through a multitude of stations. One of them I’m very familiar with is Corus, which also features many call-in segments, people talking about news happenings. News is cycled continuously.

If he had violated the order he would have been arrested. Also I doubt they would have told him anything even if he harassed them. They didn't tell him about any funeral or burial plans.

Has the family made funeral or burial plans? For all we know the ashes are still in a funeral home in Manitoba.

Has the family made funeral or burial plans? For all we know the ashes are still in a funeral home in Manitoba.

Not that we know of. But they didnt tell him that or where the remains were either. I highly doubt he has had any direct contact with them at all, let alone that they told him about the video.

We don't know, but it said multiple members saw it at the same time as his mom.

How long do these no contact orders or restraining orders last? Isn’t there an expiry of sorts and a person would have to reapply to have them in place after a certain time?

The only person that's every called the short segment a 'Last Will and Testament/directive for their remains, was AS, who had not seen the clip when he had made the statement. The reason for him needing to see the segment seemed to focus on his concerns that his son's final wishes had been met but I also noticed that he and his lawyer made no public statement indicating that he was prepared to share the cost of funeral expenses.

Perhaps I'm projecting, based on my past experience in an abusive relationship but his public statements about ensuring his son's final wishes were met and being allowed to attend a funeral that may not have even been held yet, seemed like another opportunity to manipulate and embarrass Breyer's mother through the media.

Peace bonds and family law protection orders | LSS Family Law

The expiry date seems to be left up to the courts to decide, at time of issue, likely based on the seriousness of the threat. JMO

Thank you. IIRC the last court records were many years ago. Also, I’m thinking if these were in effect now the media would have clearly stated that. They have only referred to past history and not that there is a current restraining order of any sorts.

That's not all:

Pro-Nazi posters discovered at UBC on Remembrance day

The Man in The High Castle is filming at UBC

I've watched some of the alternate history TV series The Man in the High Castle. Maybe "the boys" did, too. It wasn't my thing.

There is a UBC Okanagan as well.. Interesting was this Mark Hecht professor who is at MRC in Calgary is from Kelowna. Small world and when you throw in the commonalities it gets even smaller.

There is a Star reporter who is connecting a lot of dots... can’t remember his name atm. He is pretty active on Twitter.

The only person that's every called the short segment a 'Last Will and Testament/directive for their remains, was AS, who had not seen the clip when he had made the statement. The reason for him needing to see the segment seemed to focus on his concerns that his son's final wishes had been met but I also noticed that he and his lawyer made no public statement indicating that he was prepared to share the cost of funeral expenses.

SBM
It was called that from the outset by the original anonymous family member who leaked the information, who is unlikely to be AS for the reasons I stated. Even if he was not under a protection order at the time, I find it highly unlikely that family members would tell him anything given their history.

Northern BC Murder Suspects Recorded a Video Before Suicide: Report

As for his motive for wanting to see it, his lawyer told CBC:
"Sarah Leamon says her client, Al Schmegelsky, father of Bryer Schmegelsky, wants to see the video to better understand his son's last wishes.

"My client is simply seeking access to that video so that he can look at it and so he can get some emotional closure with respect to these circumstances," Leamon said."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-bc-suspects-video-1.5259069

SBM
It was called that from the outset by the original anonymous family member who leaked the information, who is unlikely to be AS for the reasons I stated. Even if he was not under a protection order at the time, I find it highly unlikely that family members would tell him anything given their history.

Northern BC Murder Suspects Recorded a Video Before Suicide: Report

As for his motive for wanting to see it, his lawyer told CBC:
"Sarah Leamon says her client, Al Schmegelsky, father of Bryer Schmegelsky, wants to see the video to better understand his son's last wishes.

"My client is simply seeking access to that video so that he can look at it and so he can get some emotional closure with respect to these circumstances," Leamon said."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/northern-bc-suspects-video-1.5259069

Just wanted to include this part in regards to the last will and testament being considered valid:

Leamon said she doesn't know if McLeod's family have also seen any portion of the video but she said that the battle to get access to the video — like every other part of the case — presented a set of unusual questions.

"Some of those questions have to do with the Wills and Estates Act and what constitutes a will in the province of British Columbia, and whether or not a holographic [video] will could be considered to be a valid will," she said.

Many of those questions are unsettled, but Leamon said by arriving at an agreement with RCMP, Al Schmegelsky was able to avoid litigation.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/schmegelsky-mcleod-murders-video-1.5272080

Just wanted to include this part in regards to the last will and testament being considered valid:

Leamon said she doesn't know if McLeod's family have also seen any portion of the video but she said that the battle to get access to the video — like every other part of the case — presented a set of unusual questions.

"Some of those questions have to do with the Wills and Estates Act and what constitutes a will in the province of British Columbia, and whether or not a holographic [video] will could be considered to be a valid will," she said.

Many of those questions are unsettled, but Leamon said by arriving at an agreement with RCMP, Al Schmegelsky was able to avoid litigation.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/schmegelsky-mcleod-murders-video-1.5272080

That still doesn't seem like the initial motivator was to cause a battle in the media, considering it's his lawyer saying it and she's being vague about it. It's possible that question only came up after seeing the video. I don't think it's unusual at all that he wanted to see the video, and took steps to make that happen especially because it turns out it wasn't only shown to Bryer's "next of kin" initially. It would be weird if he didn't want to see it. I mean, I want to see it and I've never even met any of them!

That still doesn't seem like the initial motivator was to cause a battle in the media, considering it's his lawyer saying it and she's being vague about it. It's possible that question only came up after seeing the video. I don't think it's unusual at all that he wanted to see the video, and took steps to make that happen especially because it turns out it wasn't only shown to Bryer's "next of kin" initially. It would be weird if he didn't want to see it. I mean, I want to see it and I've never even met any of them!

Yes I understand it as you say. I am just highlighting that the validity of the “will” has opened up questions in the legal realm.

Leamon is an abitious lawyer. If she's unsure if McLeod's family had seen the video, I'm not convinced she had any legal reason to litigate to ensure her client viewed something others may have not. It does makes good press and makes her sound so very capable to others who may consider her services in the future.

The RCMP is not one bit afraid of Ms Leamon or her publicity seeking client and both Leamon and the RCMP were fully aware that even if she had chosen to litigate, the final report would have long since been released before her and her client ever stepped into a courtroom.

Ms Leamon had publicly stated that her client wanted to know that Breyer's final wishes were being honored. I'd feel a lot more empathy if either of them had indicated that AS wanted to contribute to burial costs, in order to ensure Breyer's final wishes were being honored. Beyond that, I still feel that AS was looking for another chance to manipulate or embarrass his ex wife and the RCMP.

Leamon is an abitious lawyer. If she's unsure if McLeod's family had seen the video, I'm not convinced she had any legal reason to litigate to ensure her client viewed something others may have not. It does makes good press and makes her sound so very capable to others who may consider her services in the future.

The RCMP is not one bit afraid of Ms Leamon or her publicity seeking client and both Leamon and the RCMP were fully aware that even if she had chosen to litigate, the final report would have long since been released before her and her client ever stepped into a courtroom.

Ms Leamon had publicly stated that her client wanted to know that Breyer's final wishes were being honored. I'd feel a lot more empathy if either of them had indicated that AS wanted to contribute to burial costs, in order to ensure Breyer's final wishes were being honored. Beyond that, I still feel that AS was looking for another chance to manipulate or embarrass his ex wife and the RCMP.

BBM above
I am not sure what you mean by not knowing about the Mcleods viewing the video has anything to do with her clients rights.

She was retained in late August but I don’t know if she pursued him or he pursued her.

I would imagine that AS would like to contribute to his sons burial etc. If he knew where to contact he probably would (doesn’t have to be the family directly to make a payment). It was mentioned he can’t even lay flowers for his son because he had no idea where that would be. It’s cruel. I have much empathy for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Robbi708