CANADA - Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, all murdered, Alaska Hwy, BC, Jul 2019 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That would mean that it was a stolen plate and they were driving without insurance - which is an extremely stupid thing to do. That doesn't sound like something the son of a police officer would do.

It is possible that Lucas wanted to avoid the higher insurance rates in BC so he drove to Alberta to register and insure the vehicle. Again, the problem is that he lived in BC, did not have an Alberta address, and should have used the ranch address as his current address.

There's no doubt that something borderline illegal was done regarding insurance and registration of the van.
If you are using the vehicle for touring, you don't have to register it for 6 months, which I assume also means you don't have to get plates for it because you need to register first, get plates second.

Register a vehicle in B.C.

<modsnip: quoted post was removed>

the one thing (and it the only thing) that they have going for them is that it is summer- lots of light and more warmth than any other time of the year, but they are in a harsh environment, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just focusing on one option you mentioned (bolded)....It would be a long stretch to think that guys who spent their entire short life on Vancouver Island, would know about northern Saskatchewan and northern Manitoba. Of course they could have 'checked it out' ahead of time, but I just don't believe they even knew Gillam existed, 3,ooo km away, with a dead end road.

curious what footwear these guys have, as the feet could be the first to deteriorate if they have burned all their vehicles.

If you are using the vehicle for touring, you don't have to register it for 6 months, which I assume also means you don't have to get plates for it because you need to register first, get plates second.

I thought that only applies if the vehicle is properly registered elsewhere? It's been ages since I've moved between provinces and am not up to date on rules.

I think that means that if you are touring BC with a vehicle that is insured and registered in another province, you have 6 months to obtain BC insurance and registration. It does not mean that you can drive an uninsured and unregistered vehicle for 6 months in BC. That's a completely different situation than what we have here.

Lucas owned the van. That means he had to insure and register the vehicle at his last know address. In this case: the ranch. He did not do that.

He's not a Nazi, dad says:
"Alan Schmegelsky said Thursday that his son took him to an army surplus store about eight months ago in his small Vancouver Island hometown of Port Alberni, where the teen was excited about the Nazi artifacts.

“I was disgusted and dragged him out,” Schmegelsky said. “My grandparents fled the Ukraine with three small children during the Second World War.”

The teens are charged with second-degree murder in the death of one man and are suspects in the fatal shootings of a young couple. On Thursday, the manhunt was focused on the thick and boggy forests of northeastern Manitoba.

Despite his son’s fascination with the collectibles, Schmegelsky said he didn’t believe his son identified as a neo-Nazi.

“He thought he was Russian. Germans are their enemies,” he said.

The father, who is estranged from the teen’s mother, explained that he didn’t see his son between the ages of eight and 16, and during that time the boy came under the mistaken belief that he had Russian heritage.

He enjoys watching Russian rap videos, where the artists “wear Adidas and drink vodka,” Schmegelsky said, adding his son is a supporter of Russian President Vladimir Putin and United States President Donald Trump.

“I argued with him about that, in a friendly manner,” the father said. “He liked strong speakers.”

Schmegelsky said it was possible his son went back to the store later to buy the memorabilia, but it’s also possible he took a photo in the store or it’s staged.

The army surplus store, called Harreson’s Military Store, has since closed and the former owner didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Alfred Bergkvist, owner of “A” Company Military Surplus in nearby Coombs, said he purchased all of Harreson’s merchandise, including some Nazi material, when it closed.

Bergkvist said he didn’t recognize the red Nazi armband in the photograph but his store also stocked Hitler Youth knives identical to the one in the picture.

He recalled that two boys came into his store about three weeks ago and bought one of the replica knives that are inscribed with the German words for “blood and honour.”

“They were really excited about it,” he said, adding he didn’t know whether the pair were Schmegelsky and McLeod and he doesn’t have security cameras.

Schmegelsky allegedly sent the photos to a user of the video-game network Steam. The two suspects most recently logged onto their accounts 13 days ago, about the time they told family they were leaving Port Alberni in search of work."
rest of article: B.C. murder suspect not a neo-Nazi, dad says

Those passenger trains sure don't run often then.

RCMP investigating photos of B.C. murder suspects, Nazi paraphernalia

The pic of BS wearing army attire while standing in a room full of family photos depicts his emptiness, IMO. The pic shows a teen with absolutely no emotion on his face. Empty. There's one of him wearing a gas mask with a Happy Birthday banner behind him. Weird, IMO. The third photo depicts a swastika arm band and a knife.

The victims, Lucas Fowler & Chynna Deese, and Leonard Dyck, were fascinating, accomplished human beings with so much to offer. They were full of goodness and joy.

It looks like the first pic wearing the army attire surrounded by family photos was taken in someone's living room. BS was living with his grandmother, but I don't think we've heard from her. This Dad has done all he can to try to define who his son is and create sympathy for his son, for what purpose I don't know. MOO, he needs to urge those boys to turn themselves in.

ETA - I think the father of BS has been blaming himself somewhat. Every time he gives an interview he mentions not being there for his son. Father feels guilt. It may be too late to save his son. JMO

Last edited:
I found this video posted over on Youtube and it gives you an idea of what some of the terrain and what the wilderness looks like up in that part where these 2 are on the run. Thanks to the gentleman who posted the video on YT.

I think that means that if you are touring BC with a vehicle that is insured and registered vehicle in another province, you have 6 months to obtain BC insurance and registration. It does not mean that you can drive an uninsured and unregistered vehicle for 6 months in BC. That's a completely different situation than what we have here.

Lucas owned the van. That means he had to insure and register the vehicle at his last know address. In this case: the ranch. He did not do that.

Yeah, as soon as Lucas purchased the vehicle, he would have had to register it almost immediately, and if he planned on driving it, insure it. It sounds like it was likely auctioned off cheap because they didn't have the right paperwork for it and thus it couldn't be properly transferred - that's my theory.

Or, Lucas did as many BC residents do, and registered it himself in Alberta. Easy enough to do if you have a PO box there, or have friends or family. Foolish? Yes, because realistically you don't have valid insurance. But something a lot of people do.

I don't think we have any actual confirmation on the status of the vehicle registration and ownership, besides what we think we've heard or read, unless I'm mistaken.

That would mean that it was a stolen plate and they were driving without insurance - which is an extremely stupid thing to do. That doesn't sound like something the son of a police officer would do.

It is possible that Lucas wanted to avoid the higher insurance rates in BC so he drove to Alberta to register and insure the vehicle. Again, the problem is that he lived in BC, did not have an Alberta address, and should have used the ranch address as his current address.

There's no doubt that something borderline illegal was done regarding insurance and registration of the van.

To register the van in BC, there would've been three hurdles. LF would've needed a BC drivers licence (given that it seems the ranch work was temporary I doubt he would've bothered to do this) as well as IBC insurance (provincial regulated insurance) and the van would've had to pass a thorough out of province inspection, which given the age I'm sure it would not have passed without out costing $$$.

Most likely scenario is that LF, or somone from the ranch, owner or co worker, had a connection in AB and registered the van in their name ( or outright owned the van) loaned it to LF and CD for the planned trip.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆