Canada - Maple Batalia, 19, SFU student, shot to death, Surrey, BC, 28 Sept 2011

Video of the suspect vehicle can be viewed here

Homicide investigators are looking for a white 2011 Dodge Charger seen racing away from where Surrey student Maple Batalia was gunned down Sept. 28.

The vehicle was captured on surveillance video near Simon Fraser University’s Surrey campus right after Maple was sprayed with gunfire about 1:10 a.m.

Sgt. Jennifer Pound, of the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team, said police want anyone who may have seen the vehicle in the area that night to call 1-877-551-4448.

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Po...talia+murder/5521302/story.html#ixzz1a9uX2rmR

(October 14, 2011) -- A Toronto-based performing arts company established a bursary to honour murdered Surrey teen Maple Batalia.

There is a beautiful picture of Maple in this report.

The Police said they are seeking informaton on a white Dodge Charger with a sunroof that was captured speeding from the murder scene.

Read more: http://www.surreyleader.com/news/131889803.html

(This brave woman mentions Maple Batalia and Jamie Kehoe..
Sister of murder victim urges others not to give up hope
http://www.news1130.com/news/local/...urder-victim-urges-others-not-to-give-up-hope
Backs RCMP officers, says some work on cases around the clock

Andrea MacphersonNov 04, 2011 09:52:54 AM
"Some of these police officers are sleeping under their desk, working around the clock," she tells us. "You guys don't know that; I know that because I talk to them. I know Vic's undercover operation alone involved 60 police officers across Canada."

It was 11 years until an arrest was made in her brother's murder and another two spent in the courtroom.

"[People] have to have hope," she says. "I hope that my brother, Vic Fraser's murder will give them hope."

She points to many recent cases, including the murder of Maple Batalia and Jamie Kehoe in Surrey, but also murder investigations that have gone cold. "My heart goes out to all of those families because I know the pain that they are going through."

"There are so many unsolved cases that don't come to this closure and I feel lucky that [ours] has. But I've also had a bit of a mouth all these years and any opportunity I've had... I got out there," she explains

Maple was remembered at this fashion show.
http://thelinkpaper.ca/?p=11607
"The show started with a tribute to Maple Batalia, a beautiful young woman, full of promise, whom I met for a few seconds last year. In those seconds, it was easy to see how her beauty and humility touched so many lives."

Bumping for Maple, looking at the beauty of the Fall leaves right now, I can see why Maple was given that lovely name.

It was a meeting to try to address, in some small way, violence in the city of Surrey. People told their stories and how they thought the city and the public might deal with the challenge of improving conditions and how police could be more effective in reducing violent crime.

It was heartbreaking to hear families step up and tell their stories of grief and of the obvious pain and anger in their hearts. It was made clear that there was nothing that could ever be done to relieve their sense of loss.

Jamie Kehoe's grandfather spoke. His anger was fresh and it was a surprise to some that someone from the family might be out in this kind of venue so soon after the tragic event that took his grandson.

But you could see his need to share his pain, it served as a release.

Then Maple Batalia's dad spoke. If there is anyone out there who loves his daughter more than this man, I don't know who.

Seven times this beautiful young lady was shot in the back.

Her mom sat just in front of me and I had to put my hand on her shoulder... she turned around throughout the evening and just talked about her little girl.

Read more: http://www.thenownewspaper.com/news/Parents+pain+inspires+children/5759617/story.html#ixzz1esF2wsRu

Police seize vehicle possibly linked to murdered SFU student Maple Batalia

Police have seized a vehicle that may be linked to the September murder in Surrey of Maple Batalia, whose family have begun fundraising for a bursary in memory of the former Simon Fraser University student.

"We are not speaking to any of the details surrounding the seizure such as who owns it or when it was seized," said Sgt. Jennifer Pound, spokeswoman for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team. "We are still looking to speak with anyone who may have seen that vehicle just prior, during, or just after Maple's murder."

Pound said the car is a 2011 white Dodge Charger.

5901002.bin

It just doesn't seem right that a 19 year old woman, still to find her way as an adult, has been taken so brutally from her family. We've seen it so many times before, yet it is devastating each and every time.

Where is peace on earth?

"Mackay said they will not be filling Maple's spot in the contest out of respect, so the finale will go ahead with 11 finalists, instead of 12.

"We also plan on honouring her somehow in the event," Mackay said.

"We will do something in memory of her, but we need to talk to the family to see how we should do that."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Re...student+spot/5952029/story.html#ixzz1iycoBopy

"Police had said earlier in the investigation that a white Dodge Charger had been seen driving away from the scene, and was believed to be the suspect's vehicle.

Yesterday, Pound said police also hope to speak with two men who might have information about what happened the night Batalia was murdered.

In a surveillance video released by IHIT, two casually dressed men are seen walking into a building.

"These persons are not suspects in this crime, but may have information from before, during or after the crime that could possibly assist IHIT investigators," Pound said."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Po...aple+Batalia/5900987/story.html#ixzz1iydbzzDd

dotr-- thank you for this thread and for keeping it up to date.

i'd followed this story via the news when it first happened and didn't know there was a thread here @ WS for maple.

i cannot believe police still don't have her killer in custody. reading her sister's fb memorial page to maple, it sure sounds like the family thinks/knows who it is... would it really be that hard for LE to put him at the scene?

on that same page is a link to a video made by her sister and it includes a picture of maple on a gurney in the hospital (?) with her parents... even in death she looks so beautiful. she also looks at peace. i hope her family finds this same peace soon.

http://mydeathspace.com/article/2012/01/09/Maple_Batalia_(19)_died_from_gunshot_wounds
""My parents and I can't find any peace," says Roseleen Batalia, the victim's older sister, her voice a blend of anger and grief, and cracked by sobs. "We are zombies."

Fifty officers have been assigned to the Batalia case. A white 2011 Dodge Charger was seen speeding from the scene. Police have seized the vehicle and identified its owner. No arrests have been made — and no suspects named.

"Maple's killer is out there breathing fresh air," Ms. Batalia says. "He is not going to confess. Why the hell would he do that? The police are doing their job. But people are scared, and without the community's help, what are the police supposed to do? Their hands are tied until people speak up. We need an eyewitness."

A fresh break in the case may have emerged this week. Homicide detectives released a surveillance video showing two men entering an SFU building adjacent to the parking lot where Ms. Batalia was killed. Neither is a suspect.
"What you will see on the video is two men walking back into the SFU building, and prior to them walking back they were outside having a cigarette," says Sergeant Jennifer Pound, a spokeswoman for the Integrated Homicide Investigation Team.

"They were out there about an hour before Maple actually was killed, so we just want to speak to them and see if they heard anything or saw anything suspicious."

"MacLachlan stressed that the people in the photos are not suspects, nor are they persons of interest.

"They just happened to be in the general area of where the crime was committed around the general time," MacLachlan said Sunday.

"What IHIT is hoping is that maybe one of them saw some-thing, heard something, noticed something, spotted a stranger . . . anything, absolutely anything that might enable IHIT to put that tiny piece of information together with another piece of information and make another step forward in the investigation," he said".

Read more: http://www.theprovince.com/news/Pol...+Surrey+teen/6001814/story.html#ixzz1jdfvz54b

Bumping for Maple - and hoping her family and friends are managing somehow to cope with her loss.

Bumping for the lovely Maple and hoping her family gets the answers they need.

if the police impounded the white dodge charger they think is related to maple's murder, why no arrest so far? i don't get it!

Family misses 'remarkable' daughter

Candlelight vigil to mark one year since Maple Batalia was shot to death

To mark one year since Maple's death, the Batalias will be at the SFU Surrey campus Friday for the release of Thy Beauty's Doom, a documentary about Maple and her artwork, followed by a candlelight vigil in Holland Park at 7 p.m.

Roseleen said the vigil is intended "to remind everyone that we're still peacefully waiting for justice," and to ensure that Maple is "remembered and honoured in the way that she definitely deserves to be."

"Don't forget her," Sarbjit whispered.

http://www.theprovince.com/news/Family+misses+remarkable+daughter/7312963/story.html

maple-main.jpg

:rose:

Another case that points to only one person but yet no arrest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back