CANADA Canada - Melanie Ethier, 15, New Liskeard, Ont, 29 Sept 1996

Thanks for posting this absolutely fabulous video, will bring it forward to the Nation River Lady (also referenced in the video) thread too!
CANADA - Canada - Casselman, Ont, 'Nation River Lady' WhtFem 239UFON, 25-50, May'75

You are most welcome ... I just can't admit the hours spent trying to find it in the archives never understanding why this episode was not accessable and then .... there it is ... big shoutout to the youtube poster .... happy to share, thanks for forwarding to the Nation River Lady thread!

Yes...the one right before the Quebec border, past Virginiatown and Kearns.......
RAVEN LAKE RD.

Now..my question regarding the McGarry Landfill:
The police searched it in 2000... almost 4 years after Melanie's disappearance.
I believe they received a TIP...and they did find “exhibits”.
Why did that not lead to an arrest?
I find that very odd that the tip and exhibits didn’t lead to answers.
Does anyone know which of the 2 McGarry dumps the police investigated?

Yes...the one right before the Quebec border, past Virginiatown and Kearns.......
RAVEN LAKE RD.

Attachments

• menextcall.pdf
    110 KB · Views: 1
!!!Warning!!!!

Ep. 3 dives into severe sexual abuse allegations. If anyone has a hard time with that subject, you might want to skip this episode or cut the last 20 minutes out.

Such well done podcasts….
You know, Jessica….this past year myself and my daughters have brainstormed, visited the area, as we are somewhat familiar with that section of the north, put hours and hours of work, have a binder of notes….and checked out all kinds of people/scenerios….and about two months ago, in our discussions, we finally profiled enough to say it most likely was a friend of the family….and did that person have a hunt camp..cottage…family land somewhere around?
I went as far as saying it would be a friend of Celines….which breaks my heart to think. We were getting close to figuring out what friend it could possibly be and then these Next Call podcasts came out, with way more details.
But I determined that most of the rumours floating around all these years have an inkling of truth…and there has been some disturbing rumours.
I did tell my one daughter exactly how I now feel it went down…and once the truth comes out I will not be surprised with my conclusion.

Now the case obviously still isn’t solved, but on the Next Call…we are seeing exactly where David Rigden is heading and he’s right, in my opinion. Too bad the perp is dead.
I actually have faith now, that this case will be solved…and not by the police.

Such well done podcasts….
You know, Jessica….this past year myself and my daughters have brainstormed, visited the area, as we are somewhat familiar with that section of the north, put hours and hours of work, have a binder of notes….and checked out all kinds of people/scenerios….and about two months ago, in our discussions, we finally profiled enough to say it most likely was a friend of the family….and did that person have a hunt camp..cottage…family land somewhere around?
I went as far as saying it would be a friend of Celines….which breaks my heart to think. We were getting close to figuring out what friend it could possibly be and then these Next Call podcasts came out, with way more details.
But I determined that most of the rumours floating around all these years have an inkling of truth…and there has been some disturbing rumours.
I did tell my one daughter exactly how I now feel it went down…and once the truth comes out I will not be surprised with my conclusion.

Now the case obviously still isn’t solved, but on the Next Call…we are seeing exactly where David Rigden is heading and he’s right, in my opinion. Too bad the perp is dead.
I actually have faith now, that this case will be solved…and not by the police.

I agree and I too have always thought the killer knew her. Back in 2009? I was part of a discussion group about Melanie that was on UnsolvedCanada? UnsolvedOntario? Can't remember. But I distinctly remember an old friend going on and talking about the old rumors that went around town. I know one of the rumors was that somone Melanie knew took her to the mines, and how no one would find Mel because there are numerous mine shafts around. Im not from the area so I'm not sure how accurate that statement is. However, one day someone went on and started talking about how they think she could be near someones cottage and how Melanie's friend might be involved. They said the friend was a male and apparently this friend had a cottage on the ontario/ quebec border, but then the message was deleted and I never got a chance to copy it. I never thought about that being true because Melanie was so young and I doubted that any of her friends owned their own cottage. However, This last podcast has brought up so much dirt, and now I'm frigging so curious as to know where Dennis's cottage is!!!

This episode was really hard to listen to due to the topic of sexual abuse , but I think David is on the right track and it's obvious who killed her.

Warning: my following post will be discussing sexual abuse and talking about what was said on the podcast.

First off, Jocelyn Martell who I believe was a friend? Said that the Sunday after Mel went missing, Dennis came over acting really weird. Jocelyn noticed marks on Dennis arm, but he told her that he recieved the scratch marks while Dennis was looking for Mel in the woods. This story conflicts with the story Dennis told Mels mother and his wife where he recieved the scratches play fighting with Mel. Jocelyn also said after she noticed the marks which looked fresh, Dennis started to tense up and stated he needed to go borrow Lionels dog to look for Mel. (This screams red flags to me)

Next, Dennis's best friend Lionel Martell (Jocelyns brother) confirmed the new story about the scratch marks and how Dennis got them looking for Mel. Lionel said that Dennis was a huge drug addict which had a huge impact on his personality. That Sunday after Mel went missing, Dennis did borrow Lionels dog from him, but told Lionel that he was going to use the dog to help the police search. There is no confirmation that this happened. This is the scary part, apparently Dennis had a huge problem trying to solicit underage girls, and the friend even called him out on his behaviour. Apparently there was an incident where Dennis drugged an under age girl, and as a result was charged and sent to jail. This poor child was not the first girl he had been charged with drugging and raping. Lionel also stated that Dennis use to get really high, and had mentioned to Lionel that Mel and another girl will "never be found, they will never find them". Lionel states, he can't remember the other girls name but that it was a unique name. He never questioned Dennis, and stopped seeing him soon after.

Next Stephanie (Dennis's daughter) talks about her dad. I sympathize with her so much as I had a father like hers, and I totally understand when she says she "grieves two people; the person she knows, and the hurt from the person she doesn't know. Steph was 6 when Mel went missing but she is a huge piece to this puzzle. Stephanie starts off by talking about how Mels family and their family were super close. All of the kids hung out and the parents had been friends for years. Stephanie talks about how her father had a lot of demons and she could literally see him "switch" when he got in a mood. It was found out after Dennis died that he was diagnosed with split personality and hid it from the family. Stephanie then talks about how her dad use to prey on her teenage friends, and that she even had to save a friend from her father at one of her parties. Dennis use to always offer rides, and Stephanie admits that's when he would try to assault these young girls. She states her father was actually charged with sexual assault when he attacked Stephanie's friend and he reoffened in 2014 before he died. Steph was also there before his stroke, and said she thinks it was brought on due to the police and Melissa's mom wanting to re-interview him. Apparently this actually made Dennis appear sick, and Stephanie said he looked spooked. It was then he told Stephanie that he didn't actually go on a fishing trip, he went to a motor rally and borrowed his sister's car; a light blue Toyota tercel. This seemed odd to Stephanie because Dennis owned a truck, so why would he borrow his sister's car to tow anything? Dennis was flustered when she left, and then had a stroke 4 hours later which left him immobile. She also talks about a "dream Dennis had" where he killed Mel, and Steph stated her father was distraught when he told her about this "dream". Later while in a health care facility, the police wanted to talk to Dennis again, and Dennis who was now limited in verbal communication was very VERY upset. He grabbed his daughters scarf with his good hand, and twisted the scarf as if he was going to choke her. He let go when she told him she would get the police out of his room. He died not long after.

I'm not going to say her name, but Mels sister describes helping Dennis where he tried to take advantage of her. He proceeded to take her to a Motel on the outskirts of New Liskard, and used drugs and got naked in front of her. Dennis tried to assault Mels sister, but she texted her boyfriend and told him if she didn't make it back to call the police. Apparently Dennis was describing what he thought she looks like naked, but I personally think he was trying to re-live that awful moment. At the end, David asks what her mom thought of that, and Mels sister states she has never told her this story...

Thanks for the summary of the latest podcast.
What bombshell revelations..I give Stephanie (Denis’s daughter) credit.
One thing niggling at me….when exactly did Denis go to talk with Jocelyn? She says a few days after Melanie went missing and she also said about the scratches on Denis’s arm…and Ridgen says the Sunday morning.
If it was the Sunday morning…no one really clued in Melanie was seriously missing..yet..certainly not enough to borrow and dog and search the bush…I can see searching around the Wabi river…which they did.
And really? The cops let Denis help with his friend’s dog…I highly doubt the dog handling unit would appreciate that.
And if he got his arm scratched in the bush as he said..I would think he would’ve been more apt to actually roll his sleeve up more and show Jocelyn the damage when she commented… , so he could have sympathy….not cover it up with his sleeve.

and, Jessica….there is all kinds of abandoned mines..lots of water…lots of bush in the area…actually amazing how many old mines, and quiet roads.
For Denis to state they will never find Melanie..and even allude to another victim…makes me think a mine…or buried on land very familiar to DL.

I feel that Denis’s dreams were actually flashbacks..real life flashbacks..that’s why he became physically sick. How in hell did he ever think he would get away with it, if he did do something more to Melanie's sister that day in the motel? Had he done more, I feel he would have committed suicide right afterwards..
And they would find two dead people in that motel.
He was a predator.
I can’t imagine what he might have gotten away with overseas.
I’m hoping Ridgen is doing a timeline…maybe other unsolved will be cleared up.
I actually feel sick that it took so long for this info to come out…let’s hope we discover memebers. Those ladies worked very hard exactly where they stayed that weekend. I have good idea but we shall see what comes out on the next podcast. Like I said it a huge area with all kinds of places to hide a body.
Thank you David Ridgen…and also to the Shedding Light Ladies…because of them, Melanies Facebook page grew to over 9,000.

Last edited:
Jessica…it was Unsolved Murders People Missing Canada..I too belonged to that group.
It’s gone now…don’t know what happened.

You're correct!

Do you remember that post aswell?

I hate to admit, but I didn’t follow Melanie’s disappearance very closely until last year, so I don’t recall the post..but I kind of trust your memory…and it actually sounds like that “rumour” is going to turn out to be mostly true.

I’m wondering when he was in the hospital and tried to choke his daughter if it was confession as he could not speak so was acting it out. A deathbed confession.

I’m wondering when he was in the hospital and tried to choke his daughter if it was confession as he could not speak so was acting it out. A deathbed confession.

You know what, that is totally plausible in my eyes.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JerseyLizard
Back