CANADA Canada - Melanie Ethier, 15, New Liskeard, Ont, 29 Sept 1996

But, don't they both have DNA on file IIRC? In same province, so I'd think that the Bowmanville Doe would have been checked against Melanie already.
Agree, but you never know and it gives an opportunity to bump both threads!

But, don't they both have DNA on file IIRC? In same province, so I'd think that the Bowmanville Doe would have been checked against Melanie already.
From what I understand this Doe was thought to have been white/caucasian until recently. I follow closely very similar case in Texas being worked by DDP. Even with DNA on file for either person, would it still be compared to potential matches of different race/sex? I honestly don't know. The case I follow in Texas seems almost obvious if not for the error in initially reported sex.

I submitted Melanie to OPP regarding the Bowmanville Doe when I was on Unsolved Canada back in 2008? 2009? I submitted her because the remains were listed as mixed race or native and I believe Melanie was the only mixed person that was listed back then that fit the age/location . When I talked to the OPP they had stated they would look into it, but again it's been so long I can't really recall the full conversation and I no longer have the email to reference to.

With that being said, Canada is horrendous for DNA and we just recently obtained a DNA system that matches does with unidentified remains. So it wouldn't be a shock if it turns out they didn't DNA test the remains to Melanie. On top of that, a couple of years after they found the remains, they then listed them as caucasian, so there are many variables here that could result in not properly identifying someone.

Melanie left that night by herself. The people who were there were given lie detectors.

I've never heard a description of the car given by police. I should ask.
I don't if since the incident in question, the individuals that were there were polygraphed but according to the podcast that I am currently listening to (the next call, which may be outdated now) they claim they weren't only questioned once about the incident.

I don't if since the incident in question, the individuals that were there were polygraphed but according to the podcast that I am currently listening to (the next call, which may be outdated now) they claim they weren't only questioned once about the incident.
*I don't think the people were polygraph unless since this podcast things changed*

COLD CASE: Melanie Ethier's mother continues the search, 20 years later
attachment.php
*I don't think the people were polygraph unless since this podcast things changed*
Personally I think Dennis leveille was one of the people involved, the main person but I also feel like his brother Andre was involved as well. If u think about it, there were reports a creepy white van driving around in the night of question. Dennis drove a white truck. Now I don't know if it had a cap on the back or not but at night in the dark that could b mistaken for a white van. He kept secrets from his family, he was a sexual predator and was also charged with stuff involving sexual acts and a minor. I've watched numerous shows and other stuff pertaining to crimes and one of the biggest things I learned is that it is almost always involving someone close to the family, Dennis. Another key thing to look for is someone who throws themselves into the investigation as much as possible so they can learn what everyone else knows. He had scratches on his arm that he told some it was from a tree branch and told others it was from play fighting with Mel. I personally think they were self defense wounds from Mel. He told people he was out fishing then later told people he was at a motocross event. Then to top it off he had a stroke the day Mel's mom was going to talk to him bout stuff due to stress. Dennis had a history of drug use and apparently mental health issues according to his daughter who claims that in a medical report it had stated that her dad suffered from multiple personality disorder which is seen through out his life just not known of at the time. I think he had a thing for her. Now this is just my thoughts on the subject and I may b wrong but this is what I think happened. Dennis and Andre both high on drugs were in his truck or his mom's car saw Melanie and offered a ride. Knowing Dennis she got into the vehicle and drove off. Dennis made advancements in which Mel refused and one thing led to another and that's how Dennis got those scratches. Now dennis is pissed and attacks her, he did have a history of violent mood swings, rendering her unconscious. This is when both Dennis and his brother rape Mel. Dennis realizing what he had done to Mel and the fact that not only is she a fam friend but another minor and that if caught he will do lots of time, decides to kill Mel with the assistance from his brother Andre and bring her out to his moms property and disposes of her.

Personally I think Dennis leveille was one of the people involved, the main person but I also feel like his brother Andre was involved as well. If u think about it, there were reports a creepy white van driving around in the night of question. Dennis drove a white truck. Now I don't know if it had a cap on the back or not but at night in the dark that could b mistaken for a white van. He kept secrets from his family, he was a sexual predator and was also charged with stuff involving sexual acts and a minor. I've watched numerous shows and other stuff pertaining to crimes and one of the biggest things I learned is that it is almost always involving someone close to the family, Dennis. Another key thing to look for is someone who throws themselves into the investigation as much as possible so they can learn what everyone else knows. He had scratches on his arm that he told some it was from a tree branch and told others it was from play fighting with Mel. I personally think they were self defense wounds from Mel. He told people he was out fishing then later told people he was at a motocross event. Then to top it off he had a stroke the day Mel's mom was going to talk to him bout stuff due to stress. Dennis had a history of drug use and apparently mental health issues according to his daughter who claims that in a medical report it had stated that her dad suffered from multiple personality disorder which is seen through out his life just not known of at the time. I think he had a thing for her. Now this is just my thoughts on the subject and I may b wrong but this is what I think happened. Dennis and Andre both high on drugs were in his truck or his mom's car saw Melanie and offered a ride. Knowing Dennis she got into the vehicle and drove off. Dennis made advancements in which Mel refused and one thing led to another and that's how Dennis got those scratches. Now dennis is pissed and attacks her, he did have a history of violent mood swings, rendering her unconscious. This is when both Dennis and his brother rape Mel. Dennis realizing what he had done to Mel and the fact that not only is she a fam friend but another minor and that if caught he will do lots of time, decides to kill Mel with the assistance from his brother Andre and bring her out to his moms property and disposes of her.

He also then tried to do the same thing to her sister...... I'm sure he would have went through if it wouldn't have put the spotlight on him.

Here's a news article on the latest information on the disappearance Melanie Ethier from new liskeard Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/sudb...e-new-liskeard-fresh-tip-opp-search-1.6210496

I really hope they find something this time. If anyone has any information about the disappearance of Melanie Ethier or knows anyone who might please contact the police or Melanie's mom or even crime stoppers. It's been 25 years, let's help bring Melanie home

If they only searched the dump near the Quebec border, they may have missed something... There is a second, older dump, hidden some ways down Raven Lake Road. Mostly used by cottagers, but overgrown now. There were local rumours a man named Freddy admitted to murdering Melanie while drunk at the old bar in Virginiatown 15 or so years ago, but seeing as my knowledge is 5th or 6th hand, I cannot be certain if that was even his name.

melanie_ethier.jpg

April 24 2022
Melanie Ethier disappeared on a short walk home. Does anyone alive know who took her? | The Star
''Plenty of the suspicion in Melanie’s case lingered around Denis Léveillé, a powerfully built convicted sex offender who suffered serious brain damage through a car accident and aggravated things through drug abuse.

Léveillé, who knew Melanie through a mutual acquaintance, died in January 2016 of natural causes.

There was a report in October 2021 of new information that Melanie might have been left in the Cobalt area in northern Ontario.

That tip hasn’t panned out.

When last seen, Melanie was wearing a green Nike jacket, blue jeans, a white T-shirt and black boots.

Melanie’s mother told police she doesn’t hold out hope any more that her daughter will come home alive.

Closure would still mean a lot to Melanie’s loved ones.

“It’s like it’s never ended,” Celine Ethier said. “It’s like a very long funeral.”

May 2022
1652795080206.png
By Luc Rinaldi, Reader's Digest Canada

''With the help of cutting-edge technology, amateur and professional detectives are trying to crack these unsolved mysteries once and for all.''​

The Missing Daughter​

New Liskeard, Ontario | 1996​

A teenager decides to walk home alone and is never seen again

''Nothing bad seemed to happen in New Liskeard, a small lakeside town in northeastern Ontario, until one September evening in 1996, when Mélanie Ethier—a 15-year-old who had recently told her best friend she wanted to become a teacher—went to her friend Ryan Chatwin’s house to watch the thriller Sudden Death. Around 1:30 a.m., Ethier said good night. On another day, she likely would have called home for a ride, but her house’s land line had been cut off; her family was behind on the bill. So she chose to walk alone. It was roughly a kilometre to her house.

According to one unproven witness account, when Ethier crossed a bridge along her route, two men pulled up beside her in a car and, after talking to them, she got in the car and it drove away. The next morning, her mother, Celine, discovered that Ethier never made it home. She reported her missing later that day. The town went on high alert. Police questioned Ethier’s friends and relatives. Volunteers combed the area around her route. A search-and-rescue unit checked the river. No one could find her.

Over the following years, police received 700 tips from more than 500 people. Theories abounded: that her father had kidnapped her (he wasn’t even in town at the time); that she’d been killed by a man named Denis Léveillé who, at the time of Ethier’s disappearance, was dating her mom’s friend (he had allegedly previously assaulted another teen girl); or that it had been white supremacists (Ethier was one of the few Black girls in town).

Yet no suspect was charged. In 2021, an episode of CBC’s true-crime podcast The Next Call inspired a new witness to come forward. For reasons that police won’t disclose, the man pointed them to a wooded area 10 kilometres from Ethier’s last known whereabouts, and in October, police searched it with dogs and drones. Still, no answers.

Celine accepts that her daughter is dead, but she hasn’t given up on finding her body. “Then I feel I’ll be able to move on,” she has said. “I believe Mélanie deserves to be found. She’s not just garbage that you throw to the side of the road.”

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back