CANADA Canada - Michael Dunahee, 4, Victoria, BC, 24 March 1991

Discussion in '1990's Missing' started by emma l, Jun 17, 2005.

1. UncoolNegated

UncoolNegated Active Member

The Michael Dunahee lead I was a little optimistic about seems to be a dead end. I got a message from the police and they said there were "significant factors that are not consistent with Michael."

Elainera and dotr like this.

2. CherryKitty

CherryKitty Canadian Sleuth

This case is one that has always haunted my family. My brother is the same age as Michael and has quite the resemblance to him. My mom said the moment the news broke about Michael her heart sank. It could have been anyone. Especially given that my parents went and played baseball all the time, at elementary schools and all - but they never brought my brother.

My aunt and brother were actually brought into the police station once to rule out that my brother wasn't Michael - they took it very seriously (as they should) and of course, my family was more than happy to assist, knowing full well my mom had carried my brother the whole nine yards. Even now, when my mom sees anything on the news, it nearly makes her sick to think of what the Dunahee's have gone through.

I really hope that he is alive and well, and living an oblivious life. It's possible. I'd like to remain optimistic about that. And I feel for the family, who have taken a lot of blame and anger from angry people. I'm pretty sure it's safe to say they feel awful and would reverse time if they could. It's not an uncommon thing, especially in those days, to send your kids over to the park. Especially in a place like Victoria, and the same where we lived in Vancouver. I never understood as a kid, why my mom was so strict about being at the playground with me and my friends when other parents would let their kids roam free. And now as I'm older, I completely understand. Michael's disappearance shook her to her core.

Someone knows something. I wish the Dunahee's could have some peace or a happy ending.

3. JoHyphen

JoHyphen Active Member

I can't help but wonder where you got your information. Michael was not left in the care of a 6 year old sister. In fact, he only has one sister that was a baby at the time of his disappearance. It was a football tournament, not baseball, and both parents WERE not playing in the tournament.

There is also NO width of SPRUCE AND PINE TREES between the field and the playground, which also leaves me wondering if you were ever actually at the park.

I lived in Victoria when this happened and am very familiar with the school yard.

4. tarabull

tarabull Life is a puzzle.

5. Andreee

Andreee Well-Known Member

Wow, I have never seen such a lack of compassion on this site as the bl.cld. poster! As a BCer myself, I like everyone else followed this case closely. I have NEVER seen a hint of the thought that the parents were to blame or didn't deserve sympathy throughout the years. JoHyphen, your comments are so right on! This family no doubt feels continual grief and only deserves support, which they have had in spades.

6. Cagle

Cagle Well-Known Member

7. Help604780

Help604780 Supporter

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    Honey_West and dotr like this.
  8. grannygates

grannygates Well-Known Member

dotr and LadyL like this.
  9. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

there's three different last names in that 'article'
    Donahue, Dunahee, and Dunye

Kittymama and dotr like this.
  10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

11. grannygates

12. Richard

Richard Well-Known Member

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    Left and Center: Dunahee, circa 1991; Right: Age-progressed image of Dunahee at age 17 (circa 2003); Last: Age-progressed image of Dunahee at age 26 (circa 2012)

Michael Wayne Dunahee
    Missing since March 24, 1991 from Victoria, British Columbia Canada
    Classification: Non-Family Abduction

Vital Statistics
      • Date Of Birth: May 12, 1986
      • Age at Time of Disappearance: 4 years old
      • Height and Weight at Time of Disappearance: 3'0; 51 pounds
      • Distinguishing Characteristics: White male. Blonde straight hair; blue eyes.
      • Clothing: Multi colored rugby pants, white Ninja Turtles t-shirt, blue cloth hooded jacket
        with a red zipper and cuffs, blue canvas shoes with red and orange trim.
      • Dentals: Not available
      • DNA: Available
    Circumstances of Disappearance
    Dunahee was last seen at approximately 12:00 PM on March 24, 1991. He was in a school playground in Victoria, British Columbia at the time. Dunahee's mother was playing ball in an adjoining field and his father was watching from a side field at the time.
    No one saw Dunahee vanish. Foul play is suspected in this case. Extensive searches revealed little in the way of evidence as to Dunahee's whereabouts.

Since Michael's disappearance, there have been alleged sightings of him in the Southern New Jersey / Pennsylvania / Delaware tristate area.

Michael was reportedly seen in the company of a black male, described as 5-foot-10, about 160-180 pounds, with a pockmarked face.

The last possible sighting of Michael Dunahee occurred on Wednesday, June 19, when a black male fitting the above description allegedly attempted to abduct a 7-year-old girl in Berlin Borough, New Jersey.
    She and a companion both described a little boy in the back seat of the man's car as resembling Michael Dunahee. However, authorities have not positively confirmed any of the sightings, either of Dunahee or his possible abductor.

Investigators
    If you have any information concerning Dunahee's case, please contact:
    Victoria Police Department
    Detective Don Bland
    250-995-7654

The Royal Canadian Mounted Police

You may remain anonymous when submitting information to any agency.

Agency Case Number: 91-10349
    NCMEC #: RCMP9107542
    NCIC Number: M-486890823
    Please refer to these numbers when contacting any agency with information regarding this case.

Source Information:
    The National Center For Missing and Exploited Children
    America's Most Wanted
    Crimestoppers
    CA DOJ
    Michaels Website
    The Doe Network: Case File 148DMBC

dotr likes this.
  13. grannygates

this is the first i have ever heard of a sighting in new jersey and mention of a black man. is this correct?

dotr likes this.
  14. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

Those were within the 1st couple of months of him going missing - there were many "sightings"... I think the New Jersey one came after Michael was featured on America's Most Wanted.

"Michael was reported spotted at a highway rest stop in New York; at a convenience store in New Jersey; in a home video filmed on northern Vancouver Island. Every lead was checked out. Someone called in to say Michael, the cherubic, blue-eyed boy from the Missing posters, had his skin dyed black and was living in the United States. That, too, was checked out."

Little Michael Dunahee, gone without a trace

dotr likes this.
  15. grannygates

ahhh this makes much more sense. thank you for clarifying :)

dotr likes this.
  16. kmclaren

kmclaren Well-Known Member

Honey_West, anonymess and dotr like this.
  17. Seratonin

Seratonin Well-Known Member

18. kev_i_f_ont

kev_i_f_ont New Member

As far as I'm aware from what I've been able to find online, the best suspect in the case is late Wisconsin native, Vernon Seitz, who died in 2009 at the age of 62. After he died, it was found that he was a pedophile, had sexually explicit photos and drawings of boys being tortured and murdered and that he had confessed to his psychiatrist that he had murdered a least 2 children and a poster of Michael Dunahee was found in his home. There isn't much else that I've been able to find online, but I'm sure things can be checked... like if he traveled to Victoria, BC in 1991; whether he owned a brown coloured cargo van in 1991.

dotr, Seratonin and Honey_West like this.
  19. dotr

dotr Well-Known Member

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...to-family-of-missing-michael-dunahee-1.786019
    January 8, 2009
    ''A "missing person" poster of Michael was found in the Wisconsin home of the late Vernon Seitz, 62, when local police searched it last month, Milwaukee police have said.''

"The search warrant yielded drawings by the deceased of children in sado-masochistic situations but absolutely no evidence that he was involved in any crimes," she said.

The search was undertaken after Seitz, in his dying days, asked his psychiatrist to tell police that he had killed a boy in 1959 and knew of another child killing.

Among the hundreds of items seized in Seitz's basement were scores of drawings of nude boys in bondage, a video tape reportedly showing the kidnapping of a four-year-boy and books on cannibalism, according to documents obtained by CBC News on Tuesday.''

Seratonin likes this.
  20. ekardh

ekardh Well-Known Member

Seitz sounds like a degenerate weirdo but there isn't really anything to tie him to the case.

Scary truth is that there's opportunistic predators everywhere, just waiting for the right moment to strike and satisfy their perversions.

dotr likes this.