CANADA Canada - Michael Dunahee, 4, Victoria, BC, 24 March 1991

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...ing_dna_testing_could_be_michael_dunahee.html
"One DNA expert described this latest twist in the story as “unusual.”

“We usually don’t hear of cases like these,” said Dr. Yuri Melekhovets, laboratory director of Toronto-based HealthGene Corp, a forensic genetics centre. “This case is very unusual. Most of the time police do DNA tests of dead people. They don’t just conduct tests on every person who resembles someone who is missing.”

He explained that Canuckels’ DNA will probably be compared to the DNA of Dunahee’s parents.

“A blood sample from your body will be taken, DNA will be extracted and a DNA profile for you will be generated, which is a combination of different genetic markers,” he said. “Fifty per cent of your markers should match your mother’s markers and fifty per cent should match your father’s.”

I can't figure out what you were responding to with this comment. Did a post disappear? That's the only way it makes sense. What are/were you referring to?

I was probably referring to him being kidnapped for the purpose of filling the shoes of someone else that lost a son. I really can't remember. Maybe something did get left out in that message or another. Because that sounds kinda out there doesn't it lol.

Sent from my C6506 using Tapatalk 2

This article suggests that a blood sample was obtained over a week ago. Depending on the urgency of the matter and method used, results can be available 3-10 business days after a sample is obtained. Sudden silence on the part of LE makes me wonder ......

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/british-columbia/surrey-man-could-be-missing-child-lost-in-1991/article13411269/

Now media are questioning the sudden silence on the part of LE after a flurry of press releases and Facebook statements made by those closely associated with the case.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/police-go-quiet-over-new-development-in-historic-case-of-missing-b-c-boy-1.1384246

My first question would be to find out if there are any pictures of him prior to 4 years old. Second would be to match any birthmarks.

The more I look at the picture, the less I think it's him because of the shape of the nose and the color of his eyes. However, the pic that was posted of the man is from a webcam, so it's mirrored, right? He does have a freckle on his cheek (left, looking at the picture) that matches the freckle that is on the four year old picture of Michael (right, looking at the picture).

Also, my friend has a son whose eyes lightened a lot from the color they were when he was four. Another friend showed me a picture of himself at about four and the nose he has as an adult is significantly different than it was as a child, so it is also possible for facial features to evolve drastically from childhood to adulthood.

The photo shown on the left is digitally composed.

My daughters eyes were very blue until age six or so after which they gradually became more of a hazel colour. Noses can be broken, significantly altering their shape.

The thing that got me was the slight asymmetry of this man's smile - it is IDENTICAL to photos taken of Michael prior to his abduction and age progressed police composites.

I didn't mean the age progression picture, I meant the picture of DNA guy and the picture of 4 year old Michael. They both have a freckle in approximately the same spot, but DNA guy has it on his right cheek (left side when you look at the picture he posted) and Michael has it on his left cheek in the picture of him at four years old.

http://www.1031jackfm.ca/2013/07/24/could-this-be-michael-dunahee/

I'm wondering if the picture of DNA guy is mirrored though, and that would put the freckle on the same cheek.

I don't put much stock in real or purported resemblances to photos of a young child: features, hair colour, eye colour, general physiognomy can change markedly by adulthood (my brother's pictures as a young child look nothing like him as an adult, for instance).

But I do see a strong resemblance between the webcam shot of "Canuckels" and this photo of Michael Dunahee's grandfather as a young man:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ti...rvey-joseph-dunahee&pid=149828532#fbLoggedOut

Of course that is not evidence one way or another -- many people look like other people -- but it is thought-provoking.

I don't see much resemblance between "Canuckles" and Michael. I doubt it is him.

My guess is it's him. The eyes are just the same.

My first question would be to find out if there are any pictures of him prior to 4 years old. Second would be to match any birthmarks.

The more I look at the picture, the less I think it's him because of the shape of the nose and the color of his eyes. However, the pic that was posted of the man is from a webcam, so it's mirrored, right? He does have a freckle on his cheek (left, looking at the picture) that matches the freckle that is on the four year old picture of Michael (right, looking at the picture).

Also, my friend has a son whose eyes lightened a lot from the color they were when he was four. Another friend showed me a picture of himself at about four and the nose he has as an adult is significantly different than it was as a child, so it is also possible for facial features to evolve drastically from childhood to adulthood.

Re your third paragraph, ITA. There are also skin conditions, especially in adolecense, that can thicken the skin which could lead to a larger/broader looking nose. So you can't really go by shape of the nose etc.

I don't see much resemblance between "Canuckles" and Michael. I doubt it is him.

I didn't see that much resemblance to pictures of Michael either, but I think if you compare canuckles to Michael's dad, Bruce, IMO, there is a very strong resemblance:

Attachments

• Bruce Dunahee comparison to Canuckles.jpg
    Bruce Dunahee comparison to Canuckles.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 62
I didn't see that much resemblance to pictures of Michael either, but I think if you compare canuckles to Michael's dad, Bruce, IMO, there is a very strong resemblance:

Oh yea! Wow!

If he's not Michael then these two just have to be related in some way!

I wonder when we'll find out? How long do you suppose it takes to do a DNA test like this? Wouldn't that be amazing if he really was Michael? I don't really see how he could be, but then again I don't understand how he disappeared without anyone noticing, either.

I looked at old articles in this case, and saw that at the time, there was a 10-year-old girl that had been playing with him, and she saw him get into a brown van. But the police said there were problems with her story. And then I read somewhere else that the brown van thing wasn't true at all. But there was that one missing vehicle during the re-enactment. So I'm a bit confused about that.

DNA test shouldn't really take very long. A few days perhaps?

The odds are that beautiful little boy left this earth many years ago. That said, without proof we just cant give up hope. But comparing the shape of the ears, I dont see it. How nice if im wrong!

I would love for this to be him, but I can't get past the different ear shapes. Ears don't change shape like that. The resemblance to the family is odd, as is the fact that he has no pictures or memories from when he was young. I would love to be proved wrong!

The odds are that beautiful little boy left this earth many years ago. That said, without proof we just cant give up hope. But comparing the shape of the ears, I dont see it. How nice if im wrong!

I would love for this to be him, but I can't get past the different ear shapes. Ears don't change shape like that. The resemblance to the family is odd, as is the fact that he has no pictures or memories from when he was young. I would love to be proved wrong!

You're right, the ears do look different. Bummer!

Just reading up about Ear Biometrics, and it's said that "ears have certain advantages over the more established biometrics as they have a rich and stable structure that is preserved from birth to old age and instead of aging they just get bigger. "

bbm - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/10/101010183707.htm

But the eyes, the shape of the face? What a resemblance!

I don't put much stock in real or purported resemblances to photos of a young child: features, hair colour, eye colour, general physiognomy can change markedly by adulthood (my brother's pictures as a young child look nothing like him as an adult, for instance).

But I do see a strong resemblance between the webcam shot of "Canuckels" and this photo of Michael Dunahee's grandfather as a young man:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/ti...rvey-joseph-dunahee&pid=149828532#fbLoggedOut

Of course that is not evidence one way or another -- many people look like other people -- but it is thought-provoking.

Hmmm....this is really quite interesting.

I am going to request that Carl our resident UID expert, have a look at these pictures and see what he thinks.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Bruce Dunahee comparison to Canuckles.jpg
    Bruce Dunahee comparison to Canuckles.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 224

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads