GUILTY Canada - Man shot in the head in suspected road rage incident, Morley, AB, 2 Aug 2018

tarabull

Life is a puzzle.
Reaction score
Snipped...
MORLEY – A 60-year-old man from Germany was rushed to hospital after being shot in the head west of Morley in what police believe could be a road rage incident on Thursday afternoon (Aug. 2).

Cochrane RCMP Sgt. Tom Kalis said the man was driving with his family of three along Highway 1A near the Goodstoney Rodeo Grounds when a single shot entered the driver’s side window hitting the man in the head.

“One of the theories that we are investigating right now is that this was a possible road rage incident,” said Kalis.

Read more: https://www.rmoutlook.com/article/g...head-in-suspected-road-rage-incident-20180802

Reading the sad plight of this German man and the other three occupants of the vehicle along with the possibility of road rage, I can’t help but be reminded of a recent experience on the same stretch of road.

I travelled the 1A route between Calgary and Canmore about three weeks ago. It’s absolutely beautiful, the scenery, the foothills with the mountain backdrop and I can certainly understand why tourists might choose it over the TransCanada Hwy that runs more or less parallel. It’s the original “old” No 1 highway and winds around the north side of the Bow River. The section where the shooting occured that runs through the Stoney Reserve is noticeably narrower with virtually no shoulders, few passing zones, the speed limit is 80km/hr as opposed to 100km/hr with cautions to watch for pedestrians or livestock on the road. And there were pedestrians walking along the edge and therefore I was cautious, particularly around curves where the sight-line was limited.

Three or four times on this route I became aware of what appeared to be a very impatient and aggressive driver behind me, literally hugging my bumper. So very close behind our vehicle that if I had to unexpectedly slow down I feared they’d rear end it. So each time this happened I slowed at the next available place I could somewhat pull over enough to allow the vehicle to pass and indeed, they booted it onward. It seemed as if the Hwy was used as a lesser patrolled shortcut for some and those same users resented anyone slowing them down. Driving it left me with a twinge of an unsafe feeling.

But shooting someone in the head? I sure hope they catch the culprit, that’s absolutely disgusting.

Is there any possibility that it was an accident? That the bullet was not meant for him but widely missed another target? Where I live and guns are not a big thing, we had a case years ago, where two motorcycle clubs were brawling and one fired a gun, missed the intended target and killed a truck driver just driving past.

Is there any possibility that it was an accident? That the bullet was not meant for him but widely missed another target? Where I live and guns are not a big thing, we had a case years ago, where two motorcycle clubs were brawling and one fired a gun, missed the intended target and killed a truck driver just driving past.

Anything’s possible but I’d think the motive of road rage came from information given by the driver and his family.

“RCMP Sgt. Tom Kalis said it appears the suspect vehicle — believed to be a small black car driven by a man with longer brown hair — was passing the family’s truck when the shot was fired.”
Tourist shot in head while driving near Morley, Alta., RCMP investigate road rage as motive

German tourist shot in head while driving in rural Alberta

Alberta RCMP are investigating the possibility of road rage after a German tourist was shot in the head while driving down a rural Alberta highway.

A bullet hole was found in the driver’s window of the Dodge SUV, police say, and the 60-year-old driver was rushed to hospital with a bullet lodged in his brain.

The incident happened just before noon Thursday on Highway 1A. Police say that, moments after the shooting, the tourist’s vehicle veered off the road. Three other family members were inside and sustained minor injuries.

A black sedan was seen leaving the scene, according to Sgt. Tom Kalis. Police are now looking into whether an angry driver may have targeted the family.

9F1490A2-BB53-4A4D-8CC9-443B6DD099EC.jpeg D2B1DFE5-BEE1-4BB7-AFB2-171CD3F8B8A4.jpeg 437FDEBC-3522-482C-A442-D78175799323.jpeg

Tourist shot in head while driving near Morley, Alta., RCMP investigate road rage as motive | Watch News Videos Online

German Tourist Shot In The Head While Driving On Alberta Highway

Surgery successful for German tourist shot in head near Calgary | CBC News

AIR 106.1 FM

Alberta Police Report

German: Kanada: Deutscher Tourist nahe Banff-Nationalpark in den Kopf geschossen - SPIEGEL ONLINE

I think so Jackee....sounds like it to me.

Kalis said the tourist was driving a truck near the rodeo grounds of Stoney Nakoda First Nation when he was shot, causing his vehicle to hit the ditch and strike a pole.

"We have been able to narrow our investigation," he said.

"We can confirm that [a] black car was passing the Durango operated by the German family and that while it was passing it did lower the passenger side window. A firearm was produced and discharged from the interior of the vehicle."

I think so Jackee....sounds like it to me.

So my latest guess is the shooting was gang related, mistaking the black Durango for a vehicle driven by a rival.

What a horrible experience for the German family, innocently touring around. But I’m impressed an arrest was made so quickly!

“Information to this point strongly suggests that this was not a case of road rage, nor a random incident,” RCMP spokesperson Cpl. Laurel Scott said. “None of the occupants of the Durango were the intended targets of the shooting.”

A vehicle believed connected to the shooting was seized outside a home in Cochrane on Friday thanks to tips from the public, and a man was arrested. Police are investigating his involvement in the shooting. The vehicle was towed away from the scene shortly after 4 p.m. and RCMP said it’s been taken for forensic examination.

Police said the investigation is “extremely complex and dynamic.”
German tourists shot at on Alberta highway not ‘intended targets;’ RCMP make arrest

Last edited:
Police make arrest, impound car matching vehicle in German tourist shooting
Mounties in Cochrane have a man in custody after a brazen drive-by shooting that sent a tourist to hospital in critical condition.
“Information to this point strongly suggests that this was not a case of road rage, nor a random incident. None of the occupants of the Durango were the intended targets of the shooting.”
“This was somebody who pulled up beside them, lowered the passenger-side window, pointed a firearm and discharged a shot into his head,” said Kalis.

“This was a very intentional act.”

“The man who was at the property where the detained black Chrysler Sebring sedan was parked and who was detained by the Cochrane RCMP in connection to the shooting of a 60-year-old German tourist yesterday on Highway 1A, has now been released.

RCMP said there are no charges laid in the case yet.

The Cochrane RCMP with Calgary General Investigation Section continue to follow up on leads and are pursuing all avenues.“
https://www.cochraneeagle.com/article/update-arrest-has-been-made-not-a-case-of-road-rage-20180803

...considering cars/trucks/etc are used 24-7 365 by Millions, there doesn't seem to be a lot of road rage incidents or accidents per hours driven
...also consider the crazy/insane/unsafe way people drive......I have people drive on my tail/cut me off/speeding/in a hurry/etc every time I drive

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RSuth07
Back