Canada - Niagara police officer shot by fellow officer in Pelham, Ontario, 29 Nov 2018

Wow, I'm super confused now. I have to read back to refresh my memory.. but in looking at that article posted above, it says charges of aggravated assault and assault were dropped against Donovan.. but if you follow the links of past stories, it says Donovan had also been charged with attempted murder... so I'm assuming that charge must've been dropped previously?? But then in this article just posted, it says that Donovan is to testify in Parker's 'attempted murder' charge?? So are they saying that Donovan was originally charged with attempted murder, that charge dropped, and instead Parker was charged with attempted murder?? So confused!!

Det.-Sgt Shane Donovan was facing charges of aggravated assault and assault after Const. Nathan Parker was shot at a rural crossroads in Pelham, Ont., last year.

But those charges were dropped in a St. Catharines, Ont., court on Friday. There was no reasonable prospect of conviction, and time will show that any aggression from Donovan was in self-defence, said Joanne Mulcahy, Donovan's lawyer.

His actions were "fully necessary, fully justified and in defence of his life," Mulcahy said.

Donovan is an anticipated witness in the future trial of Parker, who's charged with attempted murder.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/shane-donovan-1.5370410

Constable Parker, 53, who is charged with assaulting a peace officer, assaulting with intent to resist arrest, and assault with a weapon, is scheduled to appear in court next week.

His lawyer Joseph Markson said he “cannot fathom the Crown’s decision not to proceed [with charges] against Sgt. Donovan.”

“No theory of the case justifies Sgt. Donovan’s discharging of his firearm multiple times into my client’s body,” Mr. Markson said. “My client, who is still recovering from nine bullet wounds, is shocked and shaken.” :rolleyes:

February 10

Argument over restroom break between 2 Niagara police officers led to shooting: fiancée

Const. Nathan Parker, says his future bride, is 'very kind' and 'very loving'

parker3-e1579903875619.jpg

Niagara Regional Police Const. Nathan Parker was shot nine times by a fellow officer who was cleared of wrongdoing. His fiancee, Dana Audet, alleged on Facebook the incident has been whitewashed.

She aired her frustrations on Facebook on Jan. 15 at 5:07 a.m. Audet noted she was “feeling hopeful”.

Audet wrote: “I can’t wait till this is over, and then I can go public with the media on what happened! And NRP is not doing a thing about it. OK to shoot a co-worker 15x over going to the bathroom? This Shane Donovan, better not be aloud [sic] to return to work! Would you want to be pulled over with a trigger happy cop who turned on his own?”

She added: “Seems to me this whole thing is trying to be covered up! Tired of being quiet!”

HUNTER: Shot NRP cop’s fiancee claims shooting whitewashed

Const. Nathan Parker, says his fiancee Dana Audet, is a quiet person, but "he's very kind."

The fiancée of a Niagara police officer shot by another police officer says the confrontation started over one officer having to use the washroom, and that the victim is being put on trial.

Dana Audet, the four-year partner of Const. Nathan Parker, says Parker was shot multiple times at a rural crossroads in Pelham, and has been traumatized and required multiple surgeries since.

A pre-trial started late in January for Parker, who is charged with resisting arrest, assaulting an officer and assault with a weapon during the altercation that led to Det.-Sgt. Shane Donovan shooting him.

The Crown has dropped the charges against Donovan. Parker's trial starts on Nov. 23.

Media coverage after the incident focused on Parker's multiple disciplinary cases, and what Parker's estranged brother described as anger issues. Audet says she's speaking out now to let people know the Parker she knows — a kind person and dedicated police officer.

Audet says Parker, a 30-year veteran of the force, was guarding a collision scene on Nov. 29, 2018 and had to use the restroom.

He radio'd for backup, she said, and for several minutes, no one answered. He left to find a restroom, and when he returned, Donovan was there and was angry. An argument ensued, she said, and Parker was shot multiple times, including once in the face.

Facing trial now, she said, adds to the trauma.

"Nathan has never missed a day of work in his life — ever," she said. "A snowstorm would be hitting and it would be hell outside, and he wouldn't miss work. He's a dedicated cop."

The case of Parker and Donovan has grabbed headlines since that frigid day in 2018.

The two were reconstructing the scene of a traffic collision in Pelham, which is about 20 kilometres west of Niagara Falls. Donovan was head of the collision reconstruction unit. Parker, who has faced multiple disciplinary hearings under the Police Services Act, was there to block traffic from entering the scene.

police-shooting-pelham.jpg

Det.-Sgt. Shane Donovan's lawyer says any aggression from her client was self defence. (Samantha Craggs/CBC)
Audet said the two had a scuffle as a result of Parker using the restroom, and Parker was shot in the stomach, shoulder and leg, and another bullet grazed his nose.

Police and the Special Investigations Unit haven't released details about the confrontation between Donovan and Parker.

Asked for comment about Audet's description of the conflict, Niagara police said: "As this incident remain before the courts, out of respect for the on-going judicial process and not wanting to interfere with Constable Nathan Parker's right to a fair and impartial trial, we are not in a position to comment on the circumstances surrounding the incident."

The Crown attorney dropped charges against Donovan of attempted murder, aggravated assault and assault with a weapon in November, saying there was no reasonable prospect of conviction. Joanne Mulcahy, Donovan's lawyer, said then that any aggression from Donovan was self-defence, and time will eventually show that.

His actions, she said, were "fully necessary, fully justified and in defence of his life."

Audet said Parker has a different take on what happened that day, which will come out during the trial. But Parker was in critical condition after the shooting, she said, and is on long-term disability.

He has had a series of surgeries, including one on his leg two weeks ago, she said. He nearly died from internal bleeding, she said, and needed bowel reconstruction surgery.

She said while he was the one shot, he is also the one charged.

Parker is a father of three who loves fitness and animals, she said. The couple live in St. Catharines and have rescued pot bellied pigs.

Parker is reserved, she said, but "he's very kind. He's very loving. We have exotic animals and he loves his animals to death."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/parker-1.5443173

Last edited:
Imo Audet is putting her own spin on what happened - she wasn't there as far as I know.

Her opinion or instruction, whichever she means it to be, has no sway on my view of the incident. I prefer the news from Parker's brother that Parker has used steroids since he was a teen. That's nothing but trouble imo and the lengthy discipline problems with Parker seems to back that up.

If Audet wants to lay blame, imo she needs to direct it towards the top brass in the Niagara Region Police as well as the mayor - they both knew of the long term problems with Parker and let it continue. The brass wants the title, the pay, the perks, but when it comes to making hard decisions, such people are often absent on behalf of the public. Jmo.

Audet needs to address the long term problems with her bf as well as this incident if she wants any credibility imo. Time doesn't erase the memory of every member of the public.

Absolutely. She definitely can't win our hearts over that brute with her ridiculous sob story... They sure are a gruesome and hideous looking couple.

Absolutely. She definitely can't win our hearts over that brute with her ridiculous sob story... They sure are a gruesome and hideous looking couple.

Have been wondering why the gf is putting her spin into the public realm at this point. Prelims for trial have begun - Parker isn't talking (surely the advice of his lawyer) so why is she? Is she now going to be some sort of character witness at trial, or is this her testimony?

Can't help but suspect she is doing this at the direction of Parker's lawyer, or at least Parker - idk just suspecting this to be the case. Does the lawyer feel this is a necessary step to win the case or at least garner some support for the client? Pretty risky imo - the backlash on a media or social media platform could create insurmountable damage. Jmo.

February 2021: An investigation by CBC's The Fifth Estate into Nathan Parker.
https://newsinteractives.cbc.ca/longform/police-oversight-nathan-parker-allegations

November 2020: Shane Donovan files lawsuit.
Donovan files $2-million lawsuit against NRP, Parker
Thank you for posting. Wow. I just wanted to point out there is also a link in the one article to the Fifth Estate episode which did a documentary on the case. It can be watched at no charge currently: CBC Gem

Was browsing my iPad just now for newsy items and came across the full court filing of a lawsuit filed by Det Sgt Shane Donovan. It's on a site called 's3.amazonaws.com' which I cannot now locate using my laptop in order to link here. Hoping someone way more techy than myself can find it and post. Not seeing anything regarding a publication ban.

SD gives his full account of what happened that day - super interesting. Fwiw, agree with every word SD writes regarding the negligence of superiors at NRP regarding Parker. It was only a matter of time before this incident occurred.

Not sure the above link worked but many papers carried the story around 12 Nov 2020 about the filing of the lawsuit.

NP's trial was suspended in Nov 2020 and cannot find if it has resumed since then.

Was browsing my iPad just now for newsy items and came across the full court filing of a lawsuit filed by Det Sgt Shane Donovan. It's on a site called 's3.amazonaws.com' which I cannot now locate using my laptop in order to link here. Hoping someone way more techy than myself can find it and post. Not seeing anything regarding a publication ban.

SD gives his full account of what happened that day - super interesting. Fwiw, agree with every word SD writes regarding the negligence of superiors at NRP regarding Parker. It was only a matter of time before this incident occurred.

Not sure the above link worked but many papers carried the story around 12 Nov 2020 about the filing of the lawsuit.

NP's trial was suspended in Nov 2020 and cannot find if it has resumed since then.
https://s3.amazonaws.com/Christophe...-Police-Board-and-Constable-Nathan-Parker.pdf

The court file no. is - LV-20-00059866-0000 - don't want to lose this. It's a bit scribbly (handwritten), but pretty sure that is the number.

SD and family vs NRP, NRP Police Services Board and NP.

I think Donovan is telling the truth. Parker was a ticking time bomb who went off multiple times and should not have still been on the force or allowed to carry a gun. I do wonder/think that Parker had a roid problem that exasperated is temper issues!

I'm torn now that I can read SD's full account - should he have even been taken to trial for attempted murder?

If a robbery suspect, assault suspect etc was wailing on SD the way NP was, preventing SD from backing away and getting into his vehicle for safety, and threatening to shoot him, seems to me SD has been granted the privilege and right to shoot that person in self defense.

SD claims he knew NP was wearing a vest, so SD knew the bullets would not kill NP if shot in the chest. They would have only stopped him.

I'm of the opinion that the trial only exacerbated the incident for SD and his family and was unfair. Was the trial necessary for the public to learn some details? Idk.

I wish the very best for SD and his family and hope like he** they win every cent of this lawsuit.

SD didn't have to go to trial, the charges against him were dropped in November 2019:

Charges dropped against Niagara cop who shot another officer

By Chantel Grillo
- November 22, 2019, 8:54 pm

The Crown told the courts he thoroughly reviewed the evidence and found no reasonable prospect of conviction.

Charges dropped against Niagara cop who shot another officer - CHCH
------

Det.-Sgt Shane Donovan was facing charges of aggravated assault and assault after Const. Nathan Parker was shot at a rural crossroads in Pelham, Ont., last year.

But those charges were dropped in a St. Catharines, Ont., court on Friday. There was no reasonable prospect of conviction, and time will show that any aggression from Donovan was in self-defence, said Joanne Mulcahy, Donovan's lawyer.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hami...8AL5Rf291pjopalYXw9sqxCNgNtjZAV0L3biIEOvtCltM

Thank-you deugirtni - yes, my wording should have been why did SD have to go through the ordeal of being charged only to have the charges dropped due to no chance of conviction. Shouldn't the crown have realized/thought of/known that would be the case before SD was charged?

And NP still hasn't faced any consequences for his actions that day, or any other day he was actively on the force.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/hamilton/niagara-police-officer-trial-parker-1.6172031

A Niagara Region police officer charged with assault with a weapon is scheduled to go on trial on Monday — despite being shot by a fellow officer in the altercation.

Const. Nathan Parker's trial before a judge in the Ontario Court of Justice begins at 10 a.m. in Hamilton.

He was charged after an unusual daylight altercation between two Niagara Region police officers on Nov. 29, 2018.

'I could not believe what happened,' Niagara cop who shot fellow officer tells court
Sept 15 2021
''A Niagara police officer who shot a fellow cop during an altercation nearly three years ago told his colleague's assault trial that he found their interaction so implausible he feared nobody would believe what happened.''

''Donovan told the court that Parker assaulted him during a collision investigation in November 2018, pushing him hard enough to cause bruising and pulling out his baton and firearm. Donovan said he then shot Parker several times, including once in the torso''

“I could not believe what had happened and I expected no one else would believe it,” Donovan told the court.''
''The trial continues Thursday.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laayla
Back