CANADA Canada - Nicole Morin, 8, Toronto, 30 July 1985

Thanks for the update and for all your efforts in this matter Chorley8!

Thanks Dotr getting my courage back up let me ask.

1. The recent dig up north that came up empty: does anyone have an impression if the theory relating to that would involve an outsider (not living in the apt.)

2. The list of people living in the apt. of course lots of them don't have apt. numbers or floors. And of course we don't want to harrass the innocent and the many which of course could be everyone living there.

3 "They" have more and I must say that division should be given some kind of gold star the way they are going at this......I haven't seen a det. like L.M. in TO before and hopefully there will be a new generation like this...not to denigrate anyone else there efforts elsewhere....I am not a law and order type but have no trouble coming on here for these terrible crimes... I mean poor Nicole, Sharin etc.....maybe something will work...weird that some of those big crimes of the 80s those two and Jessop are resistant to all efforts hitherto...

4. Let me ask: I think "here" we are pretty well stuck with the within the apt. hypothesis - if she went outside (and there were sightings outside I don't get the impression they were trusted) I don't see what we can do... what do you think? (anyone)

5 We have to go back to the list, who was living there.

6. I wish some of those people would come on...one wrote me VM but never heard from them o/w.....said they lived in N's apt.....

7. Personally I wish someone at Eg. would look at the Mariam Makhniashvili case again (with the kind of focus and talent of the NM case) ... I just think the tragedy with the Dad closed things off which I understand... but again poor Mariam... that shouldn't get in the way. IT DIDN'T GO DOWN THEY WAY THEY SAID IT WENT DOWN..... I am pretty sure..

Thinking about the heavy cologne smell mentioned by LE, what brand could it be?

Thinking about the heavy cologne smell mentioned by LE, what brand could it be?

Don't know we don't know but being pessimistic for the moment I guess one idea would be that it was used to mask the olfactory evidence of a concealed person some days dead being spirited out of the building.

Though of course could be someone wearing a lot of cologne.

I guess we all hope that Nicole case could have this kind of result. Can't say how much I admire these these women (Amanda Berry etc. ) Essentially slaves ad sex slaves for how many years? Incredible.

://search.yahoo.com/search?p=nelly+amanda+berry+&ei=UTF-8&fr=moz35

Every time I am wrong in one of these cases (though what can you expect as an amateur few sources etc) I am getting a bit more pessimistic about the cases I care about and have an alternative even zaney theory about. But you never know as proven here...

This little girl seems to have vanished into thin air, but someone out there must know something.

Looks like these new leads went nowhere. I would like for her father to have some kind of knowledge of what happened to his daughter; Nicole's mother died without ever knowing.

I don't often post but have been following this missing person's case for years now and the things that strike out to me, despite law enforcement apparently "ruling out" family members, are as follows;

1) Apparently a note was found in Nicole's Handwriting in a journal that said something along the lines of "I am going to dissappear" - this was quoted by another user previously in this websleuths thread

2) According to a City News article you can find at this url: http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/03/t...emerge-in-1985-disappearance-of-nicole-morin/, "Nicole’s mother, who passed away in 2007, had a child from a previous marriage taken from her by the boy’s father. Fifteen years later, her son showed up at her door."

3) According to a Toronto Star article you can find at this url: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/08/01/nicole_morins_disappearance_still_haunts_her_family.html , "At one point in the investigation, police travelled to Quebec to interview Art Morin’s brother-in-law, who was convicted of murdering Morin’s sister Gertrude in 1961. He has since died and police determined he was not in Toronto at the time of Nicole’s disappearance."

4) Nicole's mother waited several hours (longer than would be expected for the mother of a missing 8 year old child) before calling the police to report Nicole missing.

5) taken from: http://www.***********/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/29ui8l/the_disappearance_of_nicole_morin/ "Nicole's father suggested in 2010 that someone connected to his ex-wife may have taken Nicole to avoid him gaining custody
http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/15433/Nicole_Morin_Unsolved_Disappearance_-_1985/#.U7qk_LGmX1j"

I'm not saying the 5 items are related, and the brother in law who committed murder likely has nothing to do with this case, but I would honestly like to know how far the police actually dug into the history of Nicole's mother and the disappearance of her son for 15 years prior to Nicole's disappearance years later. Something tells me where there's smoke there's fire, it seems like too many coincidences of missing children in this family.

I wonder how thoroughly this train of investigation has been pursued. I am not pointing fingers, merely wondering if the mother's family has indefinitely been cleared of any suspicion in this case, especially many years after the fact with the case reopened and new sets of eyes going over the information.

Thanks for reading my opinion!

I don't often post but have been following this missing person's case for years now and the things that strike out to me, despite law enforcement apparently "ruling out" family members, are as follows;

1) Apparently a note was found in Nicole's Handwriting in a journal that said something along the lines of "I am going to dissappear" - this was quoted by another user previously in this websleuths thread

2) According to a City News article you can find at this url: http://www.citynews.ca/2014/07/03/t...emerge-in-1985-disappearance-of-nicole-morin/, "Nicole’s mother, who passed away in 2007, had a child from a previous marriage taken from her by the boy’s father. Fifteen years later, her son showed up at her door."

3) According to a Toronto Star article you can find at this url: http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2010/08/01/nicole_morins_disappearance_still_haunts_her_family.html , "At one point in the investigation, police travelled to Quebec to interview Art Morin’s brother-in-law, who was convicted of murdering Morin’s sister Gertrude in 1961. He has since died and police determined he was not in Toronto at the time of Nicole’s disappearance."

4) Nicole's mother waited several hours (longer than would be expected for the mother of a missing 8 year old child) before calling the police to report Nicole missing.

5) taken from: http://www.***********/r/UnresolvedMysteries/comments/29ui8l/the_disappearance_of_nicole_morin/ "Nicole's father suggested in 2010 that someone connected to his ex-wife may have taken Nicole to avoid him gaining custody
http://www.yourememberthat.com/media/15433/Nicole_Morin_Unsolved_Disappearance_-_1985/#.U7qk_LGmX1j"

I'm not saying the 5 items are related, and the brother in law who committed murder likely has nothing to do with this case, but I would honestly like to know how far the police actually dug into the history of Nicole's mother and the disappearance of her son for 15 years prior to Nicole's disappearance years later. Something tells me where there's smoke there's fire, it seems like too many coincidences of missing children in this family.

I wonder how thoroughly this train of investigation has been pursued. I am not pointing fingers, merely wondering if the mother's family has indefinitely been cleared of any suspicion in this case, especially many years after the fact with the case reopened and new sets of eyes going over the information.

Thanks for reading my opinion!
Good points. Thanks for sharing your views

Welcome to Ws chunchoboi and thanks for the interesting tidbits!
It would be wonderful if Nicole was actually living her life somewhere. Perhaps not likely, but certainly a possibility...

I am not an insider however I lived in an apartment on the West Mall not far from where Nicole lived. I also babysat regularly for many "clients" in Nicole's building. I knew Nicole to see.

The weekend Nicole disappeared was a long weekend in Canada and it was hot. I remember it distinctly. All the apartments had outdoor swimming pools and for the apartment kids it was "the place" to be in the summer. We would head out by noon when the pool opened, came home at 6:00 for dinner and then headed back out until the street lights came on. It was a different time. I was about 18 at the time.

Nicole left her apartment that day. Her friend was in the lobby waiting for her to come down and meet her. The elevator went to the PH where supposedly Nicole was waiting. It started down. Whether Nicole was on the elevator or not we never knew. The elevator made a stop. I can't remember the floor number. The elevator then arrived in the lobby, the door opened and it was empty.

The day Nicole disappeared a woman was seen in the building with a clipboard. What she was doing we do not know. What I do remember is that a composite drawing was done of the woman and she was never found, nor did she come forward. The apartment where Nicole lived was a big building with a lot of units. Lots of kids and people all over the place all the time.

The police arrived en mass when Nicole's mother called them. I recall distinctly sitting at the pool at my apartment the day after she disappeared when a line of policeman came walking down the West Mall shoulder to shoulder looking for her. They came in to our apartments and searched as well as having us open up all our cars and searched every nook and cranny of the parking garages. The looked everywhere for Nicole.

Over the years there have been searches based on information that has come to light but nothing has answered the question of what happened to Nicole. Every time I drive by her apartment I think of her.

It is a case that has baffled police for years and I know it eats at them. Nicole's mother has passed and her father is quite elderly now. I think everyone just hopes for some closure for Nicole's father. He has spent so long looking for her. It is extremely heart breaking.

I am not an insider however I lived in an apartment on the West Mall not far from where Nicole lived. I also babysat regularly for many "clients" in Nicole's building. I knew Nicole to see.

The weekend Nicole disappeared was a long weekend in Canada and it was hot. I remember it distinctly. All the apartments had outdoor swimming pools and for the apartment kids it was "the place" to be in the summer. We would head out by noon when the pool opened, came home at 6:00 for dinner and then headed back out until the street lights came on. It was a different time. I was about 18 at the time.

Nicole left her apartment that day. Her friend was in the lobby waiting for her to come down and meet her. The elevator went to the PH where supposedly Nicole was waiting. It started down. Whether Nicole was on the elevator or not we never knew. The elevator made a stop. I can't remember the floor number. The elevator then arrived in the lobby, the door opened and it was empty.

The day Nicole disappeared a woman was seen in the building with a clipboard. What she was doing we do not know. What I do remember is that a composite drawing was done of the woman and she was never found, nor did she come forward. The apartment where Nicole lived was a big building with a lot of units. Lots of kids and people all over the place all the time.

The police arrived en mass when Nicole's mother called them. I recall distinctly sitting at the pool at my apartment the day after she disappeared when a line of policeman came walking down the West Mall shoulder to shoulder looking for her. They came in to our apartments and searched as well as having us open up all our cars and searched every nook and cranny of the parking garages. The looked everywhere for Nicole.

Over the years there have been searches based on information that has come to light but nothing has answered the question of what happened to Nicole. Every time I drive by her apartment I think of her.

It is a case that has baffled police for years and I know it eats at them. Nicole's mother has passed and her father is quite elderly now. I think everyone just hopes for some closure for Nicole's father. He has spent so long looking for her. It is extremely heart breaking.
I did a Google sketch and I was able to find part of an article with the composite sketch you mentioned. uploadfromtaptalk1424745023153.jpeg

Thanks for your insight Tealgrove. This case is so tragic I feel very sad for Nicole's dad who must have suffered greatly all these years.

Thank you for clarifying issues I was having. If you could remember the floor it might be a help. I believe there's a reason why they haven't ask about the woman in the sketch again. I believe they know who it is.

Thank you for clarifying issues I was having. If you could remember the floor it might be a help. I believe there's a reason why they haven't ask about the woman in the sketch again. I believe they know who it is.

Welcome to Ws. Atafriendsrequest!!

Good point about LE possibly aware of the female's identity, wonder if she was "cleared' of any involvement in Nicole's disappearance?

Welcome to Ws. Atafriendsrequest!!

Good point about LE possibly aware of the female's identity, wonder if she was "cleared' of any involvement in Nicole's disappearance?

Good point about LE possibly aware of the female's identity, wonder if she was "cleared' of any involvement in Nicole's disappearance?[/QUOTE]

Good question. I'm not sure they'd give an answer to that. Could be non committal.

I do think they are on the right track focussing from the two statements from her being on the elevator. It might be possible both are correct and the one statement was her getting the mail and the second later on. I hope they checked the auto programming of the elevator and how it responded under different scenarios. Was it the service elevator? Was Nicolas friend close enough to hear if the rear door opened first if it was that elevator? Was there other floors that joined the two buildings? Perhaps Nicole decided on your own to go towards her friends apartment because of the delay. That would change the focus of the search perimeter. Or maybe even a shortcut people used to go to the pool? Something is missing at that point of time. Just my thoughts.

I am drawn back to this thread on occasion and can answer a couple more questions that we seem to have.

The apartment building did not have a service elevator. If I recall correctly, and it's been a long time, there were either 2 or 4 elevators and they were all located together at the midpoint of the building. I think there were only two. The building complex was made up of two separate IDENTICAL apartment buildings. They were not joined in any way physically other than by the land they sit upon. Stairways run at both ends of the floors from the roof to the underground garages.

There are common outside areas - shared pool and playground. Separate underground garages, roads, garbage areas etc.

In the early 80's these buildings were massive in our area and were relatively new. These were not cheap accommodations. Families, professionals, blue collar and white collar lived similarily. It was an extremely busy complex. People and cars coming and going all the time. No security desk, none of that stuff. It was just a really busy hub of activity all the time. I am sure that things went on that no one ever noticed just by virture of all the comings and goings. And, due to the large population, I'm not sure you would really notice somebody as being out of place as you wouldn't have the connection to your neighbours as much as you would in a smaller complex. These two buildings were a mini city. I think they even had little corner stores in them.

Three MAJOR roads surrounded these buildings. The West Mall, a major 4 lane road that ran from the airport in the north almost to Lake Ontario in the South. Rathburn Road - another 4 lane road that went east and west. Then, there is a MAJOR highway the 427. From Nicole's building to the 427 and gone is a 3 minute venture. The 427 almost immediately links to the 401 which runs east to the maritimes and then west to Detroit. The 401 also hooks up to the Trans Canada Highway, within 10 minutes of Nicole's apartment and on to the rest of western Canada. The perfect location for a perfect quick getaway if there ever was one.

In a busy building, with kids, cars, traffic and the comings and goings I think it would be extremely easy to spirit a child away, down a staircase, into the underground, into a vehicle and absolutely gone. To me, that is a no brainer.

I can't remember which floor the elevator stopped at and for some reason I want to say the 13th. Her friend would have heard nothing.

My theory has always been that someone got on the elevator with Nicole at the PH. Stopped it on whatever floor, hauled her out, went down the stairs and was gone in a heartbeat. I actually think it was that simple. This was time of no security cameras, cell phones, etc. etc. It was a simpler and easier time. These things rarely happened and when they did we were horribly shaken.

At this point, for all concerned and I just hope for closure for her family one way or the other. We see stories of the Cleveland girls and Jaycee Dugard and you think that maybe she is still alive somewhere and we should keep looking. I don't know what to think or hope quite frankly.

I am drawn back to this thread on occasion and can answer a couple more questions that we seem to have.

The apartment building did not have a service elevator. If I recall correctly, and it's been a long time, there were either 2 or 4 elevators and they were all located together at the midpoint of the building. I think there were only two. The building complex was made up of two separate IDENTICAL apartment buildings. They were not joined in any way physically other than by the land they sit upon. Stairways run at both ends of the floors from the roof to the underground garages.

There are common outside areas - shared pool and playground. Separate underground garages, roads, garbage areas etc.

In the early 80's these buildings were massive in our area and were relatively new. These were not cheap accommodations. Families, professionals, blue collar and white collar lived similarily. It was an extremely busy complex. People and cars coming and going all the time. No security desk, none of that stuff. It was just a really busy hub of activity all the time. I am sure that things went on that no one ever noticed just by virture of all the comings and goings. And, due to the large population, I'm not sure you would really notice somebody as being out of place as you wouldn't have the connection to your neighbours as much as you would in a smaller complex. These two buildings were a mini city. I think they even had little corner stores in them.

Three MAJOR roads surrounded these buildings. The West Mall, a major 4 lane road that ran from the airport in the north almost to Lake Ontario in the South. Rathburn Road - another 4 lane road that went east and west. Then, there is a MAJOR highway the 427. From Nicole's building to the 427 and gone is a 3 minute venture. The 427 almost immediately links to the 401 which runs east to the maritimes and then west to Detroit. The 401 also hooks up to the Trans Canada Highway, within 10 minutes of Nicole's apartment and on to the rest of western Canada. The perfect location for a perfect quick getaway if there ever was one.

In a busy building, with kids, cars, traffic and the comings and goings I think it would be extremely easy to spirit a child away, down a staircase, into the underground, into a vehicle and absolutely gone. To me, that is a no brainer.

I can't remember which floor the elevator stopped at and for some reason I want to say the 13th. Her friend would have heard nothing.

My theory has always been that someone got on the elevator with Nicole at the PH. Stopped it on whatever floor, hauled her out, went down the stairs and was gone in a heartbeat. I actually think it was that simple. This was time of no security cameras, cell phones, etc. etc. It was a simpler and easier time. These things rarely happened and when they did we were horribly shaken.

At this point, for all concerned and I just hope for closure for her family one way or the other. We see stories of the Cleveland girls and Jaycee Dugard and you think that maybe she is still alive somewhere and we should keep looking. I don't know what to think or hope quite frankly.

Thanks for all your detailed information setting the scene of where this happened Tealgrove it is appreciated.

Yes it can be hard to remember back that long ago. If I'm not mistaken though I believe the garage was connected between the two buildings though you might have needed a specific key to have access.

The rear of the building has a loading dock although blocked by garbage bins now. There's a large access door right there where I think the elevators would also be. Hence the belief of a service elevator.

You're right it was a different time and a different way of thinking then. There's no way they would allow people to continue to move out of a building with a missing child less than 24 later in this day and age. Remember this was the second last day of the month in the busiest moving season of the year when she went missing. If the elevator stopped on a floor where a tenant was moving out from then it might be a place to start. Not necessarily the tenant but just as easily the possible people doing the move.

Bumping, missing for 30 years now.

Nicole Morin disappearance still a mystery 30 years later

A Toronto father is still holding out hope his daughter will come home more than 30 years after she went missing as an 8-year-old.

Morin, 76, still lives in the neighbourhood where his daughter went missing and is still hoping the police will crack the case.

‘I pray for closure,’ says officer of Nicole Morin’s 30-year disappearance

Among those still carefully watching the effort is Det. Const. Melissa Elaschuk, who shares a connection to the case like no other police officer: she was friends with Morin.

Seven years old at the time of Morin’s disappearance, a young Elaschuk lived in the same condo building in Etobicoke’s West Mall neighbourhood. The girls were “the best of friends,” Elaschuk says; they walked to school together every day and often played outside.

Had Elaschuk not been with her family in Portugal at the time of Morin’s disappearance, “I truly believe it could very easily have been me and not her.

nicole-morin-compositejpg.jpg.size.xxlarge.letterbox.jpg

From the Star article, it is very creepy to think that the officer might well have been watched and targeted by the perp, when she was a child!
Cannot help but wonder if the perp is paying close attention to Elaschuck now and how it might be a feather in his cap, to tell that officer where to locate Nicole?

"Among those still carefully watching the effort is Det. Const. Melissa Elaschuk, who shares a connection to the case like no other police officer: she was friends with Morin.

Seven years old at the time of Morin’s disappearance, a young Elaschuk lived in the same condo building in Etobicoke’s West Mall neighbourhood. The girls were “the best of friends,” Elaschuk says; they walked to school together every day and often played outside.

Had Elaschuk not been with her family in Portugal at the time of Morin’s disappearance, “I truly believe it could very easily have been me and not her.

“She was going for a swim, and we literally used to go for a swim together all the time. I’d either meet her upstairs in her penthouse, or she’d come down and we would meet in the elevator,” Elaschuk says".

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back