GUILTY Canada - Paul Bernardo & Karla Homolka, murdered, 1993

OMG! OMG!

I was so hoping that I would come back here today and read that this was just some huge mistake or rumor or nightmare.

I can't fathom this. Karla has shown no remorse, in my opinion.

What sort of man would want to procreate with her?

How do you explain Mommy's exploits to this child?

Wasn't it part of her parole conditions to stay away from children?

I am just stunned. I feel ill. :sick:

It seems like a gap in our laws - it seems to me that when you are convicted of a violent felony, there maybe should be some type of application process you must go through to qualify you to live with children (yours or someone elses). I don't think Karla Homolka should ever have a child under her care and control. But at the least, she should have to go through some tests to prove she can provide a fit home, since there's already plenty of evidence to prove the opposite.

julianne said:
scm....I don't think none of us KNOWS her....but don't you know enough ABOUT her to base a decision?
I understand that the original question was rhetorical. Since I don't know Karla and she doesn't know me and that (the opportunity for me to leave my kids with her) will probably never happen, then no, I don't see a scenario happening where I would leave my kids with her.

If I knew her and it could possibly be a scenario, my decision would depend on a million different factors. My reality is I don't know her, I don't know what she's like today, I don't know if she has changed, etc...Nothing I read in the letters (which were several years old) causes me to think poorly of her.

Rightly or wrongly, it's just not in my nature to condemn her today or to hope that the rest of her life is filled with pain and misery. As I stated before, I hope that after causing so much pain and heartache in the world, she could now do something different. Will she? I don't know and I probably never will know.

She is universally hated (and I understand why), but I hope she can overcome all of that hostile energy and do something positive. I've no doubt that Karla will ultimately pay for her crimes, so I don't perceive her situation in terms of "she shouldn't be allowed to do this and that" and "she should suffer."

I don't feel pity for her. I abhor the choices she made in her earlier life. She's made her bed and can lie in it. However, I'm unable to add myself to the throngs of people that hate her. I just don't see the benefit of that - it doesn't benefit me, it doesn't benefit her and it doesn't benefit anyone else.

southcitymom said:
I understand that the original question was rhetorical. Since I don't know Karla and she doesn't know me and that (the opportunity for me to leave my kids with her) will probably never happen, then no, I don't see a scenario happening where I would leave my kids with her.

If I knew her and it could possibly be a scenario, my decision would depend on a million different factors. My reality is I don't know her, I don't know what she's like today, I don't know if she has changed, etc...Nothing I read in the letters (which were several years old) causes me to think poorly of her.

Rightly or wrongly, it's just not in my nature to condemn her today or to hope that the rest of her life is filled with pain and misery. As I stated before, I hope that after causing so much pain and heartache in the world, she could now do something different. Will she? I don't know and I probably never will know.

She is universally hated (and I understand why), but I hope she can overcome all of that hostile energy and do something positive. I've no doubt that Karla will ultimately pay for her crimes, so I don't perceive her situation in terms of "she shouldn't be allowed to do this and that" and "she should suffer."

I don't feel pity for her. I abhor the choices she made in her earlier life. She's made her bed and can lie in it. However, I'm unable to add myself to the throngs of people that hate her. I just don't see the benefit of that - it doesn't benefit me, it doesn't benefit her and it doesn't benefit anyone else.
We must have read different letters then, because I'm not sure how you can say that?
She shows absolutely no remorse, is concerned only for own welfare and seems to expect pity from people..after what she did I don't know how she lies straight in bed at night.

Someone does not do the stuff she did and then after 10 years, suddenly become miraculously healed.
Never once did she mention the seriousness of her crimes, or wondered why she might have to do the sexual offenders program..hello you had sex with dead girls Karla- you drugged and helped kill your own sister then watched your b/friend have sex with her..I think that qualifies you as a sex offender..

It's hard not to hate someone like South, you are doing better than me.

narlacat said:
We must have read different letters then, because I'm not sure how you can say that?
She shows absolutely no remorse, is concerned only for own welfare and seems to expect pity from people..after what she did I don't know how she lies straight in bed at night.

Someone does not do the stuff she did and then after 10 years, suddenly become miraculously healed.
Never once did she mention the seriousness of her crimes, or wondered why she might have to do the sexual offenders program..hello you had sex with dead girls Karla- you drugged and helped kill your own sister then watched your b/freind have sex with her..I think that qualifies you as a sex offender..

It's hard not to hate someone like South, you are doing better than me.
Narla, several times in the letters she says that she feels guilt and remorse and shame - it's just a matter of whether you believe her or not, but she does say it. If you believe some of the things she says in the letters, then you believe that she has remorse. Those letters are like anything else - you will probably find in them what you are looking for.

I can't hold what she does not mention (the seriousness of her crime) against her because it's only eleven or so letters - I imagine she has discussed the nature of her crimes with many people - we are just not privy to those discussions.

As far as her being concerned about her own welfare - of course she is - we all are. Even those of us who commit the most awful crimes are still concerned for ourselves while we are alive. It's only human. I - unlike many others - do not feel like Karla ceased to be human when she committed these crimes. I do not expect committed criminals to stop being concerned with themselves. (ie - I do not expect humans to stop acting like humans)

Again - rightly or wrongly - when I read of a crime like this, my heart aches equally for the victims and the perpatrators. I cannot imagine the darkness a human must live in that would allow them to do the things that Karla did. It is a darkness that I wouldn't wish on anybody. I can't in good consciousness add to that darkness by hating her. That's not the way my brain or my heart works.

I do understand why people feel like they hate her. I have no interest in defending Karla's prior actions or trying to make people think the way I do. I'm just offering my perspective, however skewed it may be.

southcitymom said:
Narla, several times in the letters she says that she feels guilt and remorse and shame - it's just a matter of whether you believe her or not, but she does say it. If you believe some of the things she says in the letters, then you believe that she has remorse. Those letters are like anything else - you will probably find in them what you are looking for.

I can't hold what she does not mention (the seriousness of her crime) against her because it's only eleven or so letters - I imagine she has discussed the nature of her crimes with many people - we are just not privy to those discussions.

As far as her being concerned about her own welfare - of course she is - we all are. Even those of us who commit the most awful crimes are still concerned for ourselves while we are alive. It's only human. I - unlike many others - do not feel like Karla ceased to be human when she committed these crimes. I do not expect committed criminals to stop being concerned with themselves. (ie - I do not expect humans to stop acting like humans)

Again - rightly or wrongly - when I read of a crime like this, my heart aches equally for the victims and the perpatrators. I cannot imagine the darkness a human must live in that would allow them to do the things that Karla did. It is a darkness that I wouldn't wish on anybody. I can't in good consciousness add to that darkness by hating her. That's not the way my brain or my heart works.

I do understand why people feel like they hate her. I have no interest in defending Karla's prior actions or trying to make people think the way I do. I'm just offering my perspective, however skewed it may be.
Well, you're right there, humans have always killed other humans, but.....it still doesn't make it right.

I don't hate her personally , I dont know her, but I most certainly hate the things she did and I dont think she deserves a second chance at life, she has had enough chances- she could have stopped with her sister, but she went on to do it again and again..

I don't mean to be argumentative South , but it seems it would be easy to say your heart aches equally for the victim and the perpatrator when it wasn't your kids that lives were taken and died so tragically, just think how the parents of those kids feel- to see her out enjoying life getting married having kids, everything their kids will never get to do...

She should have been locked up and the key thrown away for her crimes.

narlacat said:
Well, you're right there, humans have always killed other humans, but.....it still doesn't make it right.

I don't hate her personally , I dont know her, but I most certainly hate the things she did and I dont think she deserves a second chance at life, she has had enough chances- she could have stopped with her sister, but she went on to do it again and again..

I don't mean to be argumentative South , but it seems it would be easy to say your heart aches equally for the victim and the perpatrator when it wasn't your kids that lives were taken and died so tragically, just think how the parents of those kids feel- to see her out enjoying life getting married having kids, everything their kids will never get to do...

She should have been locked up and the key thrown away for her crimes.
My cousin was murdered, Narla, and my heart ached equally for him (we were very close) and for his murderers, so I have some personal experience with violence and loss. It hasn't changed my perspective.

southcitymom said:
My cousin was murdered, Narla, and my heart ached equally for him (we were very close) and for his murderers, so I have some personal experience with violence and loss. It hasn't changed my perspective.
Ok South, no worries but with all due respect, your cousin is not your kids.
I really do think you may feel differently about people like Holmolka if it were your kids she took out.

narlacat said:
Ok South, no worries but with all due respect, your cousin is not your kids.
I really do think you may feel differently about people like Holmolka if it were your kids she took out.
No worries, Narla. That seems to be the standard party line people use when I voice these opinions.

I've watched my aunt and my grandmother bury sons and come to peace with the people and the forces who put their children into graves, so I don't think my observations are hastily-considered or flippant. I know the truths that those women in my family arrived at, and I suspect I would arrive at the same place should such a burden become mine.

As long as I continue to read stories of parents who are able to forgive people who harm their children, I will hold out hope that such a path could be mine should I ever walk in those shoes.

southcitymom said:
No worries, Narla. That seems to be the standard party line people use when I voice these opinions.

I've watched my aunt and my grandmother bury sons and come to peace with the people and the forces who put their children into graves, so I don't think my observations are hastily-considered or flippant. I know the truths that those women in my family arrived at, and I suspect I would arrive at the same place should such a burden become mine.

As long as I continue to read stories of parents who are able to forgive people who harm their children, I will hold out hope that such a path could be mine should I ever walk in those shoes.
You are way ahead of me South :blowkiss:

Learning to forgive is a toughie and I'm only in the beginning stages, there is no way no how I could forgive some one something like what Holmolka did.
But I did forgive a friend the other week for bitching behind my back LOL....and I tell ya it took a good few weeks to arrive at that point!

narlacat said:
You are way ahead of me South :blowkiss:

Learning to forgive is a toughie and I'm only in the beginning stages, there is no way no how I could forgive some one something like what Holmolka did.
But I did forgive a friend the other week for bitching behind my back LOL....and I tell ya it took a good few weeks to arrive at that point!
You are so funny! Sometimes it is easier to forgive the "big" things than the "little" ones... love ya:blowkiss:

ETA - I am ahead of noone, Narla - particularly not you!

southcitymom said:
You are so funny! Sometimes it is easier to forgive the "big" things than the "little" ones... love ya:blowkiss:

ETA - I am ahead of noone, Narla - particularly not you!

You are too kind South :blowkiss:

You know the problem here is that a sociopath cannot ever change. Karla is despicable. I do not think the public should have ever been banned from those tapes. I know the victims families couldn't endure the pain, but perhaps everyone could REALLY know how much Karla played in that twisted, murderous spree. I believe she was all for offering up young girls to Paul without conscience or hesitation and the murders were just something that had to be done. Her sister was an accident, but without remorse she covered it up and after her sister's death even dressed in her clothes to turn Paul on and have sex.

She is an empty soul. That will never change.

Jeana (DP) said:
Oh, I didn't know that. She must be a very, very strong woman.

I think Mrs. Homolka clings to the belief that Karla was Paul's victim. I think it's the only way she could deal with what happened to Tammy. That whole family is strange anyway.

Karla is flat out sick! This girl did horrendous things with paul, they should be in cells next to each other. She led her own sister to the slaughter and helped in the sex acts, what a freaking sicko! She has cried boo hoo poor me too long. She was a willing participant in all that paul did. She lured Kristin French into the car and video taped what paul did to her and he taped what she did. This is one sick person.

cami said:
I think Mrs. Homolka clings to the belief that Karla was Paul's victim. I think it's the only way she could deal with what happened to Tammy. That whole family is strange anyway.
I think Karla also clings to the belief that she was Paul's victim.

michelle said:
Karla is flat out sick! This girl did horrendous things with paul, they should be in cells next to each other. She led her own sister to the slaughter and helped in the sex acts, what a freaking sicko! She has cried boo hoo poor me too long. She was a willing participant in all that paul did. She lured Kristin French into the car and video taped what paul did to her and he taped what she did. This is one sick person.
Im with you Michelle.....she is just flat out evil and doesnt deserve to see the light of day .....much less out getting pregnant and attempting a normal life:twocents:

dingo said:
Im with you Michelle.....she is just flat out evil and doesnt deserve to see the light of day .....much less out getting pregnant and attempting a normal life:twocents:
Tell me about it, it is the worst thing I have seen. Those girls they killed were humiliated in ways that I have never heard of! I mean they were brutally raped, beat, kicked and puched all for their sick appetites. It truly sickens me that someone like her is walking free. I am really shocked that "karma" has not caught up with her yet. Her day will come, here in this life or the next.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohbeehaave
Back