Recovered/Located Canada - Rosemarie Helga Doederlein, Quebec, 1954

How can I edit the title? Does someone know?
Just click the "Report" link on the bottom left of your post and ask them to change it. Somebody should get back to you. Also, have them change the last name to the correct spelling, Doederlein.

By the way, I checked the online newspapers and it's odd there were no articles about this case at the time. If it was reported to the police then a newspaper more than likely would have wrote an article, imo.

Just click the "Report" link on the bottom left of your post and ask them to change it. Somebody should get back to you. Also, have them change the last name to the correct spelling, Doederlein.

By the way, I checked the online newspapers and it's odd there were no articles about this case at the time. If it was reported to the police then a newspaper more than likely would have wrote an article, imo.
Thanks I did! And you're right, an article would have been written.

Though i'm not sure it was reported to the police at the time, given that they had just arrived from Germany and didn't speak the langage. ETA according to the source below, they did report it.

Vera Hastie has held onto her missing big sister's old purse, prayer book and jewelry for nearly 70 years.

Two months after the Döderlein family arrived in Quebec from Germany in September 1954, Hastie's 14-year-old sister Rosemarie went to get bread from the bakery and never came back.

Along with her daughter Christa, Vera Doederlein Hastie recently asked the public for help on social media to solve the enigma that has surrounded her sister for 68 years.

“People have been so generous with us. We receive thousands of messages, especially from experts. They want to help us, even if it doesn’t concern them. I find it so touching, “says the sixty-something with emotion.

Vera Doederlein,11 (left), with her sister Rosemarie, 13, in Germany in April 1954. They sailed for Montreal in September and, later that year, Rosemarie disappeared.
Vera Doederlein,11 (left), with her sister Rosemarie, 13, in Germany in April 1954. They sailed for Montreal in September and, later that year, Rosemarie disappeared.Photo courtesy Vera Doederlein
It has been nearly 68 years since Vera Hastie (née Doederlein) last saw her sister Rosemarie or heard her voice — and she says not a day goes by that she doesn’t think of her

Rosemarie Doederlein was 14 when her mother sent her to a bakery a few blocks from their Notre-Dame-de-Grâce apartment one afternoon in late 1954, mere weeks after the girls and their parents had arrived in Montreal from Germany.

She never returned.

“It was after 4 when my mum all of a sudden realized, ‘Rosemarie should be back,’ ” Vera, 79, recalled in a phone interview from California, where she has lived since the early 1960s.

When he got home from work, her father went to the bakery: Rosemarie had never made it there. He tried Merton School in Côte-St-Luc, but the door was locked. Next her parents went to the police, who had the school unlocked and searched it — to no avail.

Vera, 11 at the time, remembered the police detectives at the family’s Randall Ave. apartment when she got home from school the following afternoon. They asked a few questions; her father translated because the girls spoke only German.
More at link:

''An age progression image of Rosemarie Doederlein, who is 81 if she is still alive. She disappeared in Montreal in late 1954 at 14 and has not been seen or heard from since. Image by Samantha Steinberg, a forensic artist with the Miami-Dade Police Department.''
1656361503315.png

Doe Network:

---
Screen Shot 2022-07-01 at 3.26.18 PM.png
Name: Rosemarie Helga Doederlein
Case Classification: Involuntary Missing
Missing Since: November 20, 1954
Location Last Seen: Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Physical Description​

Date of Birth: November 17, 1940
Race: White
Height: 5'0"
Weight: 100 lbs
Hair Color: Brown Short bob just below the ears
Eye Color: Blue
Distinguishing Marks/Features: Unknown

Identifiers​

Dentals: Not Available
Fingerprints: Not Available
DNA: Not Available

Circumstances of Disappearance​

Rosemarie Helga Doederlein was last seen on November 20, 1954. She was supposed to go to a bakery but never made it there. She has never been seen again.

The fate of Rosemarie Doederlein, who vanished in 1954, is at last known

The AWARE Foundation, Inc.

19m ·

https://www.facebook.com/#
***UPDATE***We bring you this update with mixed emotions. Rosemarie Doederlein went missing in 1954 at the age of 14. Decades later, through the efforts of a Toronto Police Detective, a social media campaign, and 3rd party DNA, the family now has some answers. Unfortunately, Rosemarie passed away at age 69, after living a full life. She went on to marry, have children, divorce and marry again. She was living in Ontario at the time of her passing. A few questions still remain in this case, such as, what happened the day Rosemarie went missing? Did she leave on her own? Was she taken by a stranger? How did she get to Ontario? Loved ones and law enforcement officials are left to try and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Rosemarie Doederlein. #TheAWAREFoundation #TheMissing
May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'AWARE MISSING PERSON πο ROSEMARIE DOEDERLEIN Age at Age ResPEn in th Peace between November 17th December of the exact date her Rosemarie was 14 with had recently relocated months orior. On night agreed walk few bakery, mother. Rosemarie Doderlein was never seen heard from agal soon leamed that never bakery that night. Rosemarie spoke flue erman her The Montreal Police Department able provide an age photo what may today. you have any information on Rosemarie Doederlein, please call Montreal on 514- 280-2000, CASE# 09-220512-07. f MONTREAL POLICE DEPARTMENT 514-280-2000'

The AWARE Foundation, Inc.

19m ·

Facebook - log in or sign up
***UPDATE***We bring you this update with mixed emotions. Rosemarie Doederlein went missing in 1954 at the age of 14. Decades later, through the efforts of a Toronto Police Detective, a social media campaign, and 3rd party DNA, the family now has some answers. Unfortunately, Rosemarie passed away at age 69, after living a full life. She went on to marry, have children, divorce and marry again. She was living in Ontario at the time of her passing. A few questions still remain in this case, such as, what happened the day Rosemarie went missing? Did she leave on her own? Was she taken by a stranger? How did she get to Ontario? Loved ones and law enforcement officials are left to try and put the pieces of the puzzle together. Our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Rosemarie Doederlein. #TheAWAREFoundation #TheMissing
May be an image of 3 people and text that says 'AWARE MISSING PERSON πο ROSEMARIE DOEDERLEIN Age at Age ResPEn in th Peace between November 17th December of the exact date her Rosemarie was 14 with had recently relocated months orior. On night agreed walk few bakery, mother. Rosemarie Doderlein was never seen heard from agal soon leamed that never bakery that night. Rosemarie spoke flue erman her The Montreal Police Department able provide an age photo what may today. you have any information on Rosemarie Doederlein, please call Montreal on 514- 280-2000, CASE# 09-220512-07. f MONTREAL POLICE DEPARTMENT 514-280-2000''AWARE MISSING PERSON πο ROSEMARIE DOEDERLEIN Age at Age ResPEn in th Peace between November 17th December of the exact date her Rosemarie was 14 with had recently relocated months orior. On night agreed walk few bakery, mother. Rosemarie Doderlein was never seen heard from agal soon leamed that never bakery that night. Rosemarie spoke flue erman her The Montreal Police Department able provide an age photo what may today. you have any information on Rosemarie Doederlein, please call Montreal on 514- 280-2000, CASE# 09-220512-07. f MONTREAL POLICE DEPARTMENT 514-280-2000'

This is astonishing. Surely she must have left on her own to establish a life in Ontario and never look back to her family in Montreal. Would she have changed her name too? How does one so young accomplish this?

With help from digitized records from the 1950s, Detective Constable Michael Kelly of the Toronto police department’s Homicide and Missing Persons Unit was able to figure out that Rosemarie surfaced in Ontario and married in June 1957 at 16 and gave birth six months later. She had five sons, got divorced, married again and moved to British Columbia, where she ran a bed-and-breakfast. She died in 2009.
She never spoke of having lived in Montreal — ever, he said, and provided false information about Germany, including incorrect names for cities and people.

She also adopted an assumed name. On her marriage certificate, she listed a false birth date, a false family name for her father and her mother’s maiden name. Kelly was able to match the handwriting on Rosemarie’s marriage certificate with that on the prayer book she left behind.

Last edited:

With help from digitized records from the 1950s, Detective Constable Michael Kelly of the Toronto police department’s Homicide and Missing Persons Unit was able to figure out that Rosemarie surfaced in Ontario and married in June 1957 at 16 and gave birth six months later. She had five sons, got divorced, married again and moved to British Columbia, where she ran a bed-and-breakfast. She died in 2009.
She never spoke of having lived in Montreal — ever, he said, and provided false information about Germany, including incorrect names for cities and people.

She also adopted an assumed name. On her marriage certificate, she listed a false birth date, a false family name for her father and her mother’s maiden name. Kelly was able to match the handwriting on Rosemarie’s marriage certificate with that on the prayer book she left behind.

Well, we know she was sexually active at age 15 and when she got pregnant, she married the person who got her pregnant. She lied about who she was, who her parents were, where she was from, etc.

Even after she got a divorce from her first marriage she continued to lie, even to her own family members and had every opportunity to reveal her past since she had moved far away from her ex and had nothing to fear. She had every opportunity to reach out to her dirt poor parents (at the time she disappeared) or sister over the years, but didn't. We also don't know her family dynamics which might have made her decide not to return. Why she finally got divorced might also help in determining the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

All this tells me she was complicit in her disappearance. Too bad we don't have the age of her husband at the time of her first marriage. That would say a lot. If he was her age that would confirm my opinion even more. If he was much older then it's possible she might have been coerced.

All this is from my male perspective. A female might have better insight into what makes another female tick than I. :)

"In Canada, sexual activity with teenagers as young as 14 was legal (until May 2008) as long as it was consensual and the adult was not in a position of authority or dependency."

Well, we know she was sexually active at age 15 and when she got pregnant, she married the person who got her pregnant. She lied about who she was, who her parents were, where she was from, etc.

Even after she got a divorce from her first marriage she continued to lie, even to her own family members and had every opportunity to reveal her past since she had moved far away from her ex and had nothing to fear. She had every opportunity to reach out to her dirt poor parents (at the time she disappeared) or sister over the years, but didn't. We also don't know her family dynamics which might have made her decide not to return. Why she finally got divorced might also help in determining the circumstances surrounding her disappearance.

All this tells me she was complicit in her disappearance. Too bad we don't have the age of her husband at the time of her first marriage. That would say a lot. If he was her age that would confirm my opinion even more. If he was much older then it's possible she might have been coerced.

All this is from my male perspective. A female might have better insight into what makes another female tick than I. :)

My mom was about the same age when her family immigrated to Canada from the Netherlands. She never forgave her family for separating her from her boyfriend who she left behind, knowing that they would never see each other again. Parental control was brutal in many post-war families coming from Holland and Germany.

It's possible, and likely that Rosemarie had a student job at the time, and may have had some funds to get to Toronto. But, I suspect that she ran off with her boyfriend and together they made their way to TO. What a sad life she must have left behind, sad for herself and her family.

Parental control was brutal in many post-war families coming from Holland and Germany.
But, I suspect that she ran off with her boyfriend and together they made their way to TO. What a sad life she must have left behind, sad for herself and her family.

I totally agree with your perspective and insight. I would think there are other missing person cases that fit this scenario and aren't because of an abduction.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mona Lisa
Back