GUILTY Canada - Rugby player Manny Castillo, 15, dies, opponent charged, 9 May 2007

Discussion in 'Recently Sentenced and Beyond' started by ljwf22, May 11, 2007.

1. ljwf22

ljwf22 Reality continues to ruin my life.

A 15-year-old Mississauga, Ontario boy who was critically injured in a rugby match on Wednesday has died.

Manny Castillo, a player with Lorne Park Secondary School, was pronounced dead in hospital this morning.
    <<snip>>

A 16-year-old competitor with the Erindale Raiders has been charged with aggravated assault in connection with the incident in which Manny was hurt.

Link: http://www.thestar.com/

2. Loading...

3. Gmommy

Gmommy Inactive

I have to respect this boy's family for not wanting to press charges against the other teen. My thoughts and prayers to this family and the community who mourn Manny.

4. angelmom

angelmom The love stays...forever in our hearts

I wonder what the police know or think they know that they are being so adamant about pressing charges?

I feel so bad for his family, teammates and friends. What a sad ending to a promising young life.

5. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

This is a contact sport, and sadly stuff like this happens. Rarely, but it does happen. I think the police will have an uphill battle trying to prove criminal intent, especially since Manny was grappling with the other boy, too, and not just the other way around. It's just so sad when something like this happens.

Comfort and blessing to Manny's family, and to all involved.

6. OkieGranny

OkieGranny New Member Staff Member Forum Coordinators

From July 2009:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ared-jail-time-in-rugby-death/article1199800/