CANADA Canada - Shelley Loder, 44, Mono, 7 Dec 2010

http://www.thestar.com/news/article/904813
Shelly Loder, oops sorry about that- I was doubting myself even as I typed the initials..
On a quiet country road just north of Orangeville, a 44-year-old woman was viciously attacked Tuesday afternoon

She was found by a family member inside a photo studio that stands next her house, an old converted school in Mono where she lives with her husband and two kids.

I have always wondered... (as a photographer.)
How well known was Shelley?
Would someone have known that they could go there to steal her equipment?
Could this have been a robbery that went very badly?
Was anything taken, or not?

My immediate thought when I heard about Shelley last year was.... "that is incredibly creepy, it sounds just like Sherry!"

Sherry Black, brutally murdered in her book store which was next to her house... 1 week before Shelley's attack.
I know, it's too far away... but it certainly was creepy...and someone might go to Canada after killing someone here...
Was just really weird... that's all.

http://www.sherryblackinfo.com/details-of-the-crime/

UT- Sherry Black stabbed to death at her home bookstore 11/30/10 - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

http://www.fox13now.com/news/local/...r-seeks-publics-help-20111128,0,2980999.story

Hello...this is my first post here. No Stone Unturned, would the young offender you mention, that looks like the composite sketch, be in his late thirties today? This would be very helpful to know as this sketch does look familiar to me.

(I did deal with a young offender who looked very much like this composite! I'll do some digging and see if I can locate him. He was released back into the 'regular school sytem' after he'd served three years for murder one. He killed a woman at age 13 and was placed in a jail for young offenders).

Hello...this is my first post here. No Stone Unturned, would the young offender you mention, that looks like the composite sketch, be in his late thirties today? This would be very helpful to know as this sketch does look familiar to me.

Hi and welcome! I'd say late thirties to early forties at this very moment!

Hope that helped! (Sorry it took me so long to respond; I rarely check this thread!!:seeya:)

Hi and welcome! I'd say late thirties to early forties at this very moment!

Hope that helped! (Sorry it took me so long to respond; I rarely check this thread!!)

Thank you so much. That information is an immense help.

I hope that SL is recovering well and can remember more details about her attacker.

Mar 07, 2012 - 2:49 PM
Varaschin murder, Loder attack, human remains discovered
Author of serial killer book discusses these and more

Having spent three years researching and writing about Canadian murderers, author Lee Mellor has more insight than most people into the world of violence.
While Dufferin and area has several unsolved violent crimes on its books in the past couple years, Mellor is convinced it’s merely a string of isolated events.

“Serial killers are so rare, it’s not a conclusion we should lead to,” he said, referring to 2010 murder of Orangeville’s Sonia Varaschin, the near-fatal attack on Mono resident Shelley Loder that same year, as well as several discoveries of human remains — Van Sanh Tieu inside a burned down Alton building and Kera Freeland in a Caledon ditch, both last March, as well as skeletal remains found near Caledon Village just a couple weeks ago.

Turning specifically to Varaschin’s murder, the Brighton-area author feels her killer’s original intent may not have been murder. Rather, he suspects the perpetrator had a “disorganized mindset” and “lost control” of the situation.
Though he doesn’t believe Varaschin’s murder is directly related to the vicious attack on Loder about three months later, he acknowledges similarities in the cases.
He added both crimes involved “very personal and hand-to-hand” violence and the attacker likely knew their victim’s habits.
“I believe both women had to be under surveillance by the person that attacked them,” Mellor said.
OPP spokesperson Const. Peter Leon said police have ruled out a possible link between the crimes.
“There is no link,” Leon said, adding police continue to investigate both incidents. “Varaschin is certainly still ongoing. They still have an investigative team in place.
“As far as the Loder case, I know they are still working on items with that as well.”
more: http://www.orangeville.com/news/local/article/1312160--varaschin-murder-loder-attack-human-remains-discovered
(interesting article - posting it also on SV's, KF's and Audrey's threads)

This is so frustrating. I’m wondering, is the composite sketch in the Shelley Loder case still valid or not. I understand that it’s the same composite sketch used for two different assaults – the SL assault and another assault on a woman in a park in Barrie. I have identified the man in the composite sketch and notified Law Enforcement and yet nothing seems to be happening. His resemblance to the SL composite sketch is uncanny and he matches the description. His behaviour also matches the weak profile they did of SV’s killer.

Another thing that bothers me is how LE states right away that there is no connection between the murders of SL and SV. They said there was no connection between the murders committed by Russell Williams when there was and I believe that LE also said this about Bernardo’s victims Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French. I also remember reading that Bernardo was positively identified in a composite sketch and brought in for questioning as the Scarborough Rapist but they let him go which allowed him to continue on and commit his most horrific crimes. They never should have happened.

I realize I’m venting……. but it seems like nothing is being done. :banghead:

If I'm frustrated, I can't imagine how frustrated SV's parents and SL's husband must feel.

Wow Poochiewoo, I think it's great you identified someone from the composite sketch and came forward with the info!!

You deserve to rant if LE has now ignored you - at the very least they could say whether or not he is ruled out. Your rant is spot on, btw and Ita.

Another thing that bothers me is how LE states right away that there is no connection between the murders of SL and SV. They said there was no connection between the murders committed by Russell Williams when there was and I believe that LE also said this about Bernardo’s victims Leslie Mahaffy and Kristen French. I also remember reading that Bernardo was positively identified in a composite sketch and brought in for questioning as the Scarborough Rapist but they let him go which allowed him to continue on and commit his most horrific crimes. They never should have happened.

I agree with your frustration -- we saw version of this is in Pickton case also.

True story: I was a teenager teaching sailing at Scarborough Bluffs at the tail end of PB's rape spree, and was pulled over several times (I had blonde hair) by police as I came home at night. It wasn't for some time that I became aware of what the spot checks were for.

I suspect that the "no connection" statement is for the benefit of the investigation -- though how, precisely, I'm not sure. Why the public ought to feel safer that three maniacs rather than one are running around I don't know.
s

On the other hand, maybe LE really do have DNA, but none of it matches the other crimes? Is there some sort of serial killer competition going on, with wannabees copycat "trainees''?
Did someone want to make things look to be sexually related (attacking women alone), to distract from true motives, business?

This is so frustrating. I’m wondering, is the composite sketch in the Shelley Loder case still valid or not. I understand that it’s the same composite sketch used for two different assaults – the SL assault and another assault on a woman in a park in Barrie. I have identified the man in the composite sketch and notified Law Enforcement and yet nothing seems to be happening. His resemblance to the SL composite sketch is uncanny and he matches the description. His behaviour also matches the weak profile they did of SV’s killer.

I realize I’m venting……. but it seems like nothing is being done. :banghead:

If I'm frustrated, I can't imagine how frustrated SV's parents and SL's husband must feel.

I wanted to thank you for making that call. LE will still have to find some connection and evidence to link him to the crime. But at least his name is put in there for investigation.

As far as denying any connection between the cases. Judging from other cases LE will most usually deny cases are related unless they have absolute proof that they are connected. (Like having matching DNA or bullets) They have good reason for doing that. If they publicly admit the two cases are related, then later find two different suspects the suspects will use that statement in court to try to get reasonable doubt.

Just because they are denying it publicly doesn't mean they aren't suspecting it privately.

I agree with your frustration -- we saw version of this is in Pickton case also.

True story: I was a teenager teaching sailing at Scarborough Bluffs at the tail end of PB's rape spree, and was pulled over several times (I had blonde hair) by police as I came home at night. It wasn't for some time that I became aware of what the spot checks were for.

I suspect that the "no connection" statement is for the benefit of the investigation -- though how, precisely, I'm not sure. Why the public ought to feel safer that three maniacs rather than one are running around I don't know.
s

Freaky story about PB Scapa. I love your point about feeling safer with 3 maniacs running around rather than one. I think the public has a right to know if we're dealing with a serial killer. We can then be extra vigilant.

Forgot to mention.....another thing I was wondering about in the SL composite sketch. LE states that "a man was seen walking in the area near Shelley Loder's home when she was attacked on Dec. 7th." I don't know how such detail could be given about his lips especially his top lip and nose if he was just seen walking in the area. He has a very distinct and unique top lip and a much smaller bottom lip. Such detail in my opinion, could only be given by someone who knows this man or has seen him face to face.

I had the same feeling when I saw these three sketches (SL sketch, Timmins Times and The Whig) and someone on Unsolvedcanada did too. I think there are similarities between them and as LE states, the last two sketch descriptions were given by children so we need to take that into consideration.

I was just wondering, does anyone else see similarities here?

d66458d742a5b74385266f4bd0dc.jpg

10204.dat

1197484.dat

I had the same feeling when I saw these three sketches (SL sketch, Timmins Times and The Whig) and someone on Unsolvedcanada did too. I think there are similarities between them and as LE states, the last two sketch descriptions were given by children so we need to take that into consideration.

I was just wondering, does anyone else see similarities here?
<rsbm>

Hi Poochie !!

I know the first sketch relates to the attack on SL, but which crimes do the other two relate to? Thanks.

sb

Hi all --
I'm not sure if someone has posted this already, but I came across this site when searching for updates on Shelley's case:

http://www.wayn.com/profiles/shelleyrobb

The profile name is Shelley Robb, but the description seems to be for Shelley Loder from Orangeville. The space appears to be a social-travel network --
do any of you have ideas on this? Perhaps it is not important. But I wondered IF this IS Shelley from before her attack if she was a member for the travel perks/info and might have met someone on the site? Could someone have misunderstood her membership there?

Perhaps this is not the same SL.
But, wow, we need some ideas here. It is awful that Shelley's attack is still not solved.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back