CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure we’ve got the whole picture on the car driving through the field. Since GW kept the mock up cruiser at his property on Orchard Beach Rd, how did he get from his house over there? Did his gf see him driving his regular vehicle through the field over to Orchard Beach Rd from the woods where she was hiding or did someone else see him driving the cruiser through another field to get to #2? Also, the man that was shot and reported to LE that the man who shot him was driving a police cruiser, was he shot on Portapique Beach Rd or Orchard Beach Rd? I’m not clear on where that happened.

If he rode through a field where the girlfriend could see him doing so, I'm akin to believe she'd have come out when all the legit LE arrived on scene knowing he'd left the area already. If it was a field down there, I think the witness would be someone else.

There's also at least one more witness who hid in the woods for hours. Brothers CE1 and CE2 heard gunshots and saw fires. CE1 went to check out what was going on and eventually CE2 left their Dad's place to go looking for him. He found him deceased on the side of the road. He turned off his flashlight and ran away as fast as he could. Hid off a side road for a breather and looked back to see a smaller flashlight scanning around and looking for him. He went deep into the woods to hide. Called his dad and told him to turn off the lights and hide and to NOT call him back so that the phone wouldn't ring. He laid there for hours and came out hypothermic. Just wow.

Another possibility for being the one to see him leave over a field in a vehicle perhaps?? IMO.

Not sure we’ve got the whole picture on the car driving through the field. Since GW kept the mock up cruiser at his property on Orchard Beach Rd, how did he get from his house over there? Did his gf see him driving his regular vehicle through the field over to Orchard Beach Rd from the woods where she was hiding or did someone else see him driving the cruiser through another field to get to #2? Also, the man that was shot and reported to LE that the man who shot him was driving a police cruiser, was he shot on Portapique Beach Rd or Orchard Beach Rd? I’m not clear on where that happened.

Here’s a link to a snippet of the PC, as much as is known at this time apparently.
Nova Scotia shooting: Vehicle seen driving through field may have been suspect evading perimeter, RCMP say | Watch News Videos Online

I've been wondering whether anyone heard from Sean McLeod or Alanna Jenkins on Sunday morning, but haven't seen anything definitive one way or the other. It occurred to me that he may have arrived there in the middle of the night and killed them, then stayed in their home until burning it down in the morning. If Sean McLeod was a "hunting buddy", he may have even gone there to get additional guns and/or ammunition.

That's a total possibility too. I am totally of the opinion that he spent his "rest" time in Wentworth well out of the perimeter and in opposite direction he'd be suspected to head to.

You may very well be onto something with the weapons coming from scenes too.

The more information that comes out, the more it seems to me that it went further than being a narcissistic control freak, that in fact a deep misogyny drove GW. MSM interviews with his former neighbours and friends all point to the fact that it was his troubled relationship with his girlfriend that raised a red flag for them. Yet no one acted on this. I believe that we as a society need to address this minimization of those men who exhibit "power over" behaviour with women.
My approach would be to teach every young woman what it means to be respected and that she deserves to be respected. Teach her that whether or not she comes from a place where abuse was tolerated, it is NOT acceptable. Teach her what constitutes physical, sexual, emotional and psychological abuse. Give every young woman a copy of Men who Hate Women and the Women that Love Them, so they can learn this is not what a healthy relationship looks like. I say all this because I somehow doubt we can corral all these malignant narcissists and transform them into nice people. I realize there are some really nice young men that end up with narcissistic women too. I think all kids in their senior year need to take a course on how a narcissist operates, his/her little bag of “tricks” to keep control of you and strip you of your self worth. Knowledge is power. Know what to look for, the big red flags and then turn around and run the other way. JMHO

I'm very curious how he evaded the police blockade that descended on his (the shooter) neighbourhood. Did he drive out under their noses after shooting and torching people and property? There's really no other explanation for how police were on the scene within 12 minutes (10:38OPM) and he was shooting and torching the following morning. Apparently he was in Wentworth at 6:30AM, the couple was dead at 8AM. Where were RCMP during those 90 minutes? Did they fail to call for help?
Where did these times come from? They stated at the PC today that the Wentworth incident took place at 9:35am.

As far as how he escaped, I think he may have been able to leave the scene relatively uncontested , as LE wouldn't have realized he'd be in uniform driving a perfect replica cruiser. Also, there would have been officers there from several detachments, so it's perfectly reasonable for those at the scene to have assumed he was one of them. As somebody else mentioned, anybody who saw the car driving through a field likely would have thought it was LE involved in the search.

I'd be very interested to find out exactly what time they determined he was the suspect/perp.

Where did these times come from? They stated at the PC today that the Wentworth incident took place at 9:35am.

As far as how he escaped, I think he may have been able to leave the scene relatively uncontested , as LE wouldn't have realized he'd be in uniform driving a perfect replica cruiser. Also, there would have been officers there from several detachments, so it's perfectly reasonable for those at the scene to have assumed he was one of them. As somebody else mentioned, anybody who saw the car driving through a field likely would have thought it was LE involved in the search.

I'd be very interested to find out exactly what time they determined he was the suspect/perp.

Exactly. It would have been very easy for him to drive right by another cruiser in the initial commotion without the "legit" LEO thinking anything was wrong

I've been wondering whether anyone heard from Sean McLeod or Alanna Jenkins on Sunday morning, but haven't seen anything definitive one way or the other. It occurred to me that he may have arrived there in the middle of the night and killed them, then stayed in their home until burning it down in the morning. If Sean McLeod was a "hunting buddy", he may have even gone there to get additional guns and/or ammunition.

,Sean McLeod and Alanna Jenkins both worked for Corrections Canada, so what would their reaction be to their hunting buddy arriving in a police cruiser?https://www.cbc.ca/news2/interactives/ns-memorial/

BBM.

So, I missed that confirmation. Perhaps, IMO, he headed their way with a story "Girlfriend and I had a fight so I need a place to crash for the night" … or something like that. They then become his first victims on Sunday. Perhaps, IMO, only 'picked' because they lived in the opposite direction to which he'd be suspected to be travelling.

I think he picked Gina because he knew she was a single woman who would likely be home alone. I could be completely off base with my assumption but in my rural New England town a LOT of people have registered guns for hunting. It would be a real crap shoot if you showed up at a random house that there wasn’t someone with a gun answering the door. Perhaps he thought that too so singled out Gina rather than a random house? It’s so sick and pointless.

I think he slept somewhere, but where would he feel safe? I've read plenty of accounts of murderers sleeping in the middle of a crime, being exhausted by the adrenaline, alcohol, maybe had been sleepless on previous nights. Then, the next morning, decided what to do next. We know what decision he came to.
If he slept somewhere, or whatever he was doing during that down time, I am amazed that he came out of it in the same alcohol fuelled rage as the night before! You would expect some back-pedalling moves to make excuses or alibis. Instead, he just doubled down!

Quite a history of violence / threats - toward his own father/mother... death threats and a beating from GW
...he described an incident a decade ago involving his brother Gwynn phoning him to say his son Gabriel was coming to Moncton to “shoot” and “kill” him and his wife. He talked about reporting the incident to the RCMP detachment at Bible Hill near Portapique and how an officer interviewed his son but he denied his father’s claims.

The killer’s father, who also described being “beaten” by his son during a vacation in Cuba ...

MSM Link
WARMINGTON: Father of Nova Scotia mass killer heartbroken

I think he picked Gina because he knew she was a single woman who would likely be home alone. I could be completely off base with my assumption but in my rural New England town a LOT of people have registered guns for hunting. It would be a real crap shoot if you showed up at a random house that there wasn’t someone with a gun answering the door. Perhaps he thought that too so singled out Gina rather than a random house? It’s so sick and pointless.
Here in Canada, while there are plenty of people with firearms, not many people would answer the door with one, myself included.
Why? Because we do not have "castle doctrine", and while it is technically legal to use a firearm to protect yourself, up to and including lethal force, there is a very heavy burden of proof required that there was not a less lethal method of defense available. Of the cases where a criminal was killed by a homeowner with a firearm, there are only 3 cases (that I know) of where murder charges were cleared in court, and there is only 1 case (that I know) of where a murder charge was not laid. That person was a LEO. If a person uses a firearm to defend themselves, they can expect be charged with a variety of criminal charges, up to even 1st degree murder.

Last edited:
... There's also at least one more witness who hid in the woods for hours. Brothers CE1 and CE2 heard gunshots and saw fires. CE1 went to check out what was going on and eventually CE2 left their Dad's place to go looking for him. He found him deceased on the side of the road. He turned off his flashlight and ran away as fast as he could. Hid off a side road for a breather and looked back to see a smaller flashlight scanning around and looking for him. He went deep into the woods to hide. Called his dad and told him to turn off the lights and hide and to NOT call him back so that the phone wouldn't ring. He laid there for hours and came out hypothermic. Just wow. ....
How would the shooter have known that the dead man's brother would come looking for him, leading the shooter to go and seek out said brother? Could it have been the shooter's gf who was also said to have been hiding in the woods whose 'flashlight' he'd seen? (Assuming the shooter thought his gf was still tied up at that point, so presumably the shooter also wouldn't have been looking in the woods for her either?)

Is it known if the shooter's gf was also suffering from hypothermia after being in the woods for some 8+ hours?
Her entire story would be very interesting to know. She was restrained with handcuffs, but managed to escape. If she was a cat, this would have been one of her 9 lives. Very fortunate or smart (or both) woman. Thankful that she did not become a murder victim.

If he slept somewhere, or whatever he was doing during that down time, I am amazed that he came out of it in the same alcohol fuelled rage as the night before! You would expect some back-pedalling moves to make excuses or alibis. Instead, he just doubled down!

I'm hesitant to think he was in a drunken rage. Do we know he drank heavily that night? I think he was possibly a functioning alcoholic so if he was maybe he was sipping all through the night and never sobered up. I'm also hoping no ones missing who hasn't been accounted for ; all those unaccounted hours .

I'm hesitant to think he was in a drunken rage. Do we know he drank heavily that night? I think he was possibly a functioning alcoholic so if he was maybe he was sipping all through the night and never sobered up. I'm also hoping no ones missing who hasn't been accounted for ; all those unaccounted hours .
I agree. From experience, shooting a handgun accurately at a target more than 25yds requires both training, competency, and fine motor skills. Doing the same with moving targets, even more so. Even if sober, this is NOT an easy task, without extensive training and practice. If GW was under the influence of alcohol, IMO there would have been significantly fewer lives lost.

This leads to one of my (many) unanswered questions... If presented only with the body count and the lack of injured people, a logical conclusion is that the killer had extensive training. So, where did GW learn, train, practice handgun shooting, and with whom? Without his PAL license, it would not have been at an established range. There is a huge missing piece to this puzzle and I am certain that the RCMP investigation is actively pursuing the answer to this question also.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam