CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone seen the new ITO redacted documents? I have seen a few articles indicating they have been releases- but wondering if anyone has seen or can post the redacted documents.

Page 109, sort of intriguing, at some point after police responded to Portapique — BBM
S/Sgt Halliday said the following -
- <redacted>
- <redacted>
- <redacted> was Gabriel Wortman’s ex-wife and was currently unaccounted for.

I wonder if the common law wife had been married to GW at one time, then got divorced but later the couple got back together. I can’t think of any other explanation of an ex-wife in Portapique who was unaccounted for unless there’s still much more that we don’t know.

You wrote - “Yes you were right about it not being the girlfriend and it was someone who had worked with him.” as if you know for a fact this was not the girlfriend who gave that information in the interview (even though she also worked with him).

What is your source....or is this your opinion?

It was according to the published search warrants and it was in reference to it being someone else giving information and not the girlfriend due to a brief description. It’s not a big deal and I don’t want to go back searching for it.

It was according to the published search warrants and it was in reference to it being someone else giving information and not the girlfriend due to a brief description. It’s not a big deal and I don’t want to go back searching for it.

The redacted statement dated Apr 19th is on page 30 of the recent scribd download. There’s one comment that’s quite chilling, suggesting this person may’ve had prior knowledge of events that occurred.

GABRIEL WORTMAN collected police cars and bought the decals for the cars and was going to use the car for downed officers.

The redacted statement dated Apr 19th is on page 30 of the recent scribd download. There’s one comment that’s quite chilling, suggesting this person may’ve had prior knowledge of events that occurred.

GABRIEL WORTMAN collected police cars and bought the decals for the cars and was going to use the car for downed officers.
What does that even mean, "downed officers"? I don't think it means "for killing officers in the future", since it's in the past tense.

Could it mean 'for joining future memorial services for downed officers"?

Last edited:
Page 109, sort of intriguing, at some point after police responded to Portapique — BBM
- <redacted>
- <redacted>

I wonder if the common law wife had been married to GW at one time, then got divorced but later the couple got back together. I can’t think of any other explanation of an ex-wife in Portapique who was unaccounted for unless there’s still much more that we don’t know.
Possibly that was written on the Sat night, and the relationship between GW and his 'girlfriend' (as we seem to be calling her) was unclear to police.

I read that and my head exploded. Use it for downed officers? Like we usually ever have downed officers...that's crazy. It didn't make any sense given it has never happened in our province before. Till this madman did his deeds.

What does that even mean, "downed officers"? I don't think it means "for killing officers in the future", since it's in the past tense.

Could it mean 'for joining future memorial services for downed officers"?

I can only guess but I’d associate it to the term most common, a fallen soldier or a soldier who is “down” has been killed, he’s laying down, no longer standing. So to me the use of the word “downed” would be synonymous to “killed” but this is just my opinion.

Given another statement indicated GWs distain toward police, I think it’d be really unusual he’d create a replica car to drive during a memorial service given he also apparently knew it was illegal to drive it anywhere.

Last edited:
I can only guess but I’d associate it to the term most common, a fallen soldier or a soldier who is “down” has been killed, he’s laying down, no longer standing. So to me the use of the word “downed” would be synonymous to “killed” but this is just my opinion.

Given another statement indicated GWs distain toward police, I think it’d be really unusual he’d create a replica car to drive during a memorial service given he also apparently knew it was illegal to drive it anywhere.

See, that's what confused me. It's said in the ITO statement that he was disdainful of the RCMP. So, offering to be a colour party (I can't think of the correct term, hopefully this works?) wouldn't work in real life. It's written in statement that" he didn't like the RCMP and thought he was better than they were". But as a cover story, I guess it might theoretically work. But in reality, knowing what we now know, that is a horrific thing to think of...

Possibly that was written on the Sat night, and the relationship between GW and his 'girlfriend' (as we seem to be calling her) was unclear to police.

I’ve always assumed police have instant access to public records to provide the full array of information on any suspect they were seeking but who knows. But I do notice the report was written by a Staff Sergeant, not an officer, who I wouldn’t think would normally rely on hearsay. The gentleman who was shot referred to her as a wife or girlfriend, he didn’t know for sure iirc, but not an ex. Another bit of mystery but thinking about it, we really only know small bits and pieces of the background other than what occurred on that horrible weekend.

See, that's what confused me. It's said in the ITO statement that he was disdainful of the RCMP. So, offering to be a colour party (I can't think of the correct term, hopefully this works?) wouldn't work in real life. It's written in statement that" he didn't like the RCMP and thought he was better than they were". But as a cover story, I guess it might theoretically work. But in reality, knowing what we now know, that is a horrific thing to think of...

The same person who made the statement also said GW was severely abused as a boy, was very smart, cheated and was a psychopath who had guns at the warehouse and dental office.

Its widely known in Canada when honouring a member, the RCMP march, they don’t drive around in police cars so I must admit I just can’t imagine a story about the fake cruiser being required to honour a fallen officer as a cover story, not at all.

upload_2020-5-26_21-7-14.jpeg
“Before the funeral service, a procession of about 2,700 police officers wound its way through the city with pipers and drummers leading the mourners.“
Funeral for Moncton Mounties killed in the line of duty attended by thousands

- <redacted>
- <redacted>

IMO a lot of stuff in this transcript is verbatim transcription of police notes so perhaps officers are interpreting someone to be an ex-wife who is just a gf. IMO They had no clear idea what was going on at the time and no partner was found until morning so they were just grasping for explanations and scenarios and what immediate witnesses were telling them and that’s what went in their notes. In many of the interviews there were differing opinions as to who the woman was that lived and worked with him and who he abused.

On page 28 is a statement taken from “[redacted], Common Law of GW”, so IMO this is the closest to her legal relationship we get. She says in that interview “they weren’t married”. The continuation of the sentence, ‘but had FaceTimed friends”, and how that relates to her marital status is probably just a miss-writing by the officer IMO.

The event sequence gets a bit clearer through this interview. They were having drinks at the Warehouse. Then they must have gone back to the house because she observed him pouring gasoline all over the cottage at 200 Portapique Beach and then observed him pour it over the Warehouse at 136 Orchard Beach and that there were guns on the front seat of the cruiser. Then she must have escaped.

On page 22 the statement from the person injured in the car at Portapique said they saw flames and went to investigate. Saw a police cruiser sitting in the front yard of a “small blue house”. Went as far as the gw Warehouse and saw it in flames. Did a U-turn back past the blue house, saw the kitchen there in flames and a man sitting the cruiser in the driveway. Then the cruiser overtook them and shot at them. I’m not sure which house is the blue house but it was on Orchard Beach somewhere between the Warehouse and the intersection of Portapique Beach Rd leaving Portapique. Eerie that gw just sat in his car watching the flames spread through the kitchen of that house. {Maybe 71 Orchard Beach Rd that was reported burned? ... somewhere.)

Another piece from an interviewed witness on page 69 says “[redacted] received a text from [redacted] which was a picture of her and gw in the warehouse around 6:00 pm.” It’s interesting that this witness went to the address on Portland Street on March 19 to meet the police and seems to have known a lot about the relationship.

Mass shooting search warrant documents released May 25, 2020

As information continues to trickle out (and speculation flows quickly) I find myself going back and forth wondering how much of this was planned. When "they" were in the warehouse face timing with people, did he know in a few hours all he owned there would be in flames? Did the argument with his g/f trigger this whole series of events? If he wanted a scorched earth policy, did locals see the flames and rush to assist....making him kill them so they didn't interfere with his warped plan? But then why kill the neighbours who were still in their homes (and sit there in a car watching it spread)? Were the other victims places where he thought his g/f might seek refuge? (imagine her feeling of guilt if that is true, though not her fault). Did he plan on continuing this the next day or did that evolve overnight while he was at Debert? When the couple saw the house on fire on Orchard Beach Road, he shot at them, but it does surprise me he did not seem to pursue them much or prevent their escape. That seemed odd to me unless he has a deliberate plan of escape already in his mind.
If I got paid to ask questions I'd be a rich man.

IMO a lot of stuff in this transcript is verbatim transcription of police notes so perhaps officers are interpreting someone to be an ex-wife who is just a gf. IMO They had no clear idea what was going on at the time and no partner was found until morning so they were just grasping for explanations and scenarios and what immediate witnesses were telling them and that’s what went in their notes. In many of the interviews there were differing opinions as to who the woman was that lived and worked with him and who he abused.

On page 28 is a statement taken from “[redacted], Common Law of GW”, so IMO this is the closest to her legal relationship we get. She says in that interview “they weren’t married”. The continuation of the sentence, ‘but had FaceTimed friends”, and how that relates to her marital status is probably just a miss-writing by the officer IMO.

The event sequence gets a bit clearer through this interview. They were having drinks at the Warehouse. Then they must have gone back to the house because she observed him pouring gasoline all over the cottage at 200 Portapique Beach and then observed him pour it over the Warehouse at 136 Orchard Beach and that there were guns on the front seat of the cruiser. Then she must have escaped.

On page 22 the statement from the person injured in the car at Portapique said they saw flames and went to investigate. Saw a police cruiser sitting in the front yard of a “small blue house”. Went as far as the gw Warehouse and saw it in flames. Did a U-turn back past the blue house, saw the kitchen there in flames and a man sitting the cruiser in the driveway. Then the cruiser overtook them and shot at them. I’m not sure which house is the blue house but it was on Orchard Beach somewhere between the Warehouse and the intersection of Portapique Beach Rd leaving Portapique. Eerie that gw just sat in his car watching the flames spread through the kitchen of that house. {Maybe 71 Orchard Beach Rd that was reported burned? ... somewhere.)

Another piece from an interviewed witness on page 69 says “[redacted] received a text from [redacted] which was a picture of her and gw in the warehouse around 6:00 pm.” It’s interesting that this witness went to the address on Portland Street on March 19 to meet the police and seems to have known a lot about the relationship.

Mass shooting search warrant documents released May 25, 2020

Very true, for the most part, the unredacted portions of the information within the search warrants had already been released by the RCMP during press conferences.

The same person who made the statement also said GW was severely abused as a boy, was very smart, cheated and was a psychopath who had guns at the warehouse and dental office.

Its widely known in Canada when honouring a member, the RCMP march, they don’t drive around in police cars so I must admit I just can’t imagine a story about the fake cruiser being required to honour a fallen officer as a cover story, not at all.

View attachment 248720
“Before the funeral service, a procession of about 2,700 police officers wound its way through the city with pipers and drummers leading the mourners.“
Funeral for Moncton Mounties killed in the line of duty attended by thousands

I remember the first officers from Moncton who were kidnapped and murdered in 1974. I was a kid, we had just moved from there (NB) to here (NS).

The guy was almost my age. He should have "known better". In what way did he think a downed officer would be borne by his vehicle? For someone from here, he should have known better. Would make more sense if he was rebuilding it to go to car shows.

Most people thought him smart and personable, but more than one called him a "Psychopath".
It sounds like he took hostages, not relationships.
I wish the wife, ex-wife, girlfriend, ex or common law wife, whomever she was, would tell the outside world what transpired. They have the ability to change voices, put people in dark rooms, what's the point of keeping silent? Her community certainly knew who she was.
I think we'd collectively feel better if we knew more and didn't have to fill in the blanks.

I wish the wife, ex-wife, girlfriend, ex or common law wife, whomever she was, would tell the outside world what transpired. They have the ability to change voices, put people in dark rooms, what's the point of keeping silent? Her community certainly knew who she was.
I think we'd collectively feel better if we knew more and didn't have to fill in the blanks.

Patience. The GF and the other victims need time to deal with their respective traumas. The authorities have her testimony, so she's done her part.

My interpretation is that this is what a witness recalled in response to questions by a police officer, as something GW had said. That doesn't at all indicate that it's what GW actually intended, it's possibly some excuse he gave someone who asked what the decals were for. Many people, who aren't even psychopaths, don't reveal the exactly truthful contents of their mind to everyone, or even anyone. And the contents of our minds changes all the time, anyway. If he was obsessed with police, he may have sometimes admired and envied, and sometimes hated them.

It's also possible the witness, being questioned by police, feels guilty, or possibly feels they are going to get in trouble with police because they knew about, or even helped apply the decals. So then the witness is covering their own *advertiser censored**, by emphasizing how it all seemed above board and even honorable.

I think some people do refer to a long term common-law partner that way, e.g., "'So and So's wife'" meaning the common-law, especially when it has been a long term thing since at that point they are spouses under the law. My sense is that it is a reference to L, and not a reference to his ex-wife.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrak