CANADA - shooter in RCMP vehicle & uniform, 22 killed (plus perp), Portapique, NS, 18 April 2020 #3

Discussion in 'Rampage Killings and Terrorist Attacks' started by dyannaON, Apr 19, 2020.

1. MistyWaters

MistyWaters Well-Known Member

The other inquiry referred to was ordered in 2013, began in 2015 and the Final Report was issued November, 2019???? Wow, I hope the upcoming announcement includes an expedited procedure.

From your link -
    “Furey repeated on Thursday he would like the investigation to take a restorative approach, which is what the province did in 2015 when it looked into allegations of long-term abuse at a former orphanage in the Halifax area.”

Amoca, deugirtni, dotr and 1 other person like this.

2. Peace777

Peace777 Well-Known Member

So from the Maclean's article it does look like GW was involved with drugs/drug mafia perhaps too? Also could he have been a police informant? If so the RCMP have a lot to answer for. Something still smells fishy about this case. The common law is slinking into the background. Maybe she knows if she "spills the beans" her life is in danger? I don't get the theory that he withdrew all the money maybe because he was going to take on a new identity, he could have done that without killing people. What was his motive for going on this murderous rampage? Hmm will we ever know the whole truth?

3. tayaway

tayaway Well-Known Member

If he was a CI, it would explain why no follow ups were done. LE in both Canada and America protect their valued CI. It's a policing issue that most of us know nothing about. It's standard procedure, so I'm not sure what the RCMP need to answer for, other than their statement that there was no relationship between them and GW, if that is indeed false.

dotr likes this.
  4. Skibunny

Skibunny Member

Is there any chance that the $475,000 was a payment to GW for the info he produced leading to the arrests in NB? Seems like a very high amount.

jillybean51 and dotr like this.
  5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I would say next to zero.

I think he withdrew the cash because COVID turned him into a doomsday prepper type. To me he fits the profile of someone who operates under a "don't trust anyone" philosophy. His parking lot encounter with the HPD has a huge anti-authority vibe.

Amoca, paganini, Errrr and 5 others like this.
  6. jillybean51

jillybean51 Well-Known Member

The article also says that it’s highly irregular for a citizen to get their money from Brinks..,

Amoca and tayaway like this.
  7. Bo.Jack

Bo.Jack New Member

Curious..
    Does CSIS pay their "associates" this way?

8. SaintJohn2020

SaintJohn2020 New Member

I was told a long time a go by a teller at TD they flag anyone who takes 10k cash at once, and watch out for any patterns for possible money laundering. I didn't even think you could redrawth 500k from a regular bank. Brinks is in the cash business though... maybe it's easier and raises less reg flags

deugirtni and tayaway like this.
  9. Lexiintoronto

Lexiintoronto Well-Known Member

I haven’t followed the story closely—did they recover the 475K?

I’m not convinced he was an agent of any sort yet. There could have been something about to happen involving a debt or lawsuit and he wanted to squirrel away money.

If—and I don’t know this—he was splitting with his common-law girlfriend, maybe he was going to hide assets?

If he was an agent of sorts, why didn’t the RCMP know of his replica cars and clothes. I’d think they would have checked out every detail about him.

jillybean51 likes this.
  10. MistyWaters

“Wortman, a 51-year-old denturist, is said to have arranged the withdrawal from Brink’s after transferring the cash from an account at a major Canadian bank.”

A lot of banks don’t hold a whole lot of cash on hand anymore because of the wide usage of credit and debit payments. They’d have to get it shipped in through Brinks and usually cash shipments to branches are not daily. So rather than GW waiting, I suppose it could be possible the arrangement was made for him to pick up the cash directly from Brinks.

11. MistyWaters

According to Maclean’s -

The Nova Scotia killer had ties to criminals and withdrew a huge sum of cash before the shooting - Macleans.ca
    “It is not clear what happened to the money from the moment the killer took it out of the Brink’s location to the time he was shot by RCMP officers during an attempted arrest at a gas station in Enfield, N.S., on April 19.

The lawyer for family members of the killer’s victims said Wednesday that the estate filing at probate court lists a large sum of cash, which he believes was recovered by the RCMP.

“I assume the public trustee has it,” said Robert Pineo, who is suing the estate....”

12. Oscarjackson12

Oscarjackson12 Active Member

Yes you can but the bank would need to order the cash so they wouldn’t deplete their regular available cash.

Any amount of $10,000 that is withdrawn or deposited you just need to sign a legal form saying where the money is from etc. That’s a legal requirement in Canada to prevent money laundering. For him I would assume it was his personal or business account.

tayaway likes this.
  13. MistyWaters

I’d guess the transaction was associated with his dental business and he may well have been involved in money laundering. This was not a person who was a law abiding citizen.

But something I noticed contained in the released warrants iirc, police noted a female recorded voice indicating the denture business was closed due to COVID-19 and anticipated to reopen mid April. I’d guess this recording was placed around mid-March, when the closure of business began. I can’t remember the exact date it was to reopen and I will look later, but the date a few days prior to the gunman’s massacre. Given he appeared to be a compulsive sort of person I thought it was interesting that recording hadn’t been updated to a tentative future date.

So just based on that, the remote and far out possibility occurred to me the $475,000 cash on Mar 30th were proceeds of the sale of the business. Not saying I’m right, but that the abandoned business phone recording seems unusual to me. In one of the media reports was there also a reference to his impending semi-retirement at Portapique as well?

This is all purely speculation but as it’d be very easy to trace money sent by the RCMP or from any other source, I don’t think the $475,000 is destined to become an unsolved mystery intertwined with conspiracy theories involving the RCMP.

Lexiintoronto and jillybean51 like this.
  14. Scoobydo2

Scoobydo2 Member

15. tayaway

tayaway Well-Known Member

Canadaland episode 267 (Jesse Brown & Desmond Cole) briefly explores the Macleans article about the RCMP informant theory.

Starts at around the 48:48 mark.

Scoobydo2, Panniniclaus and 1214SD like this.
  16. Tilly23

Tilly23 Well-Known Member

A new story at CBC:
    N.S. gunman liquidated assets, stockpiled gas and food due to COVID-19 fears, RCMP say
    Shooter told people he created a replica police cruiser to pay tribute to fallen officers

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/nova...investigation-gunman-covid-paranoia-1.5628184

an excerpt:

Campbell said RCMP discovered hundreds of thousands of dollars in a fire-proof container on one of the properties Wortman owned in Portapique. He said investigators are auditing his financial records and would not specify the exact amount of cash seized.

So far, he said they think the gunman believed it wasn't safe to leave his savings in the bank.

The article also addresses the Maclean's story. They interviewed someone who actually was police informant about how he received payments.

Worth a read!

MOO

17. Oscarjackson12

Well the answering machine message wasn’t unusual because there was no business in Canada that knew when they would be allowed to re-open by govt. So it wouldn’t make any sense to leave a guessed at date.

18. MistyWaters

Yes I agree and that was my point, March 19th a recording saying the business was closed to Apr 15th when they would reassess, then no update. The shootings occurred Apr 18/19th.

EEB48166-DBAC-4169-ABA3-68FA26B86472.jpeg
    page 15
    Mass shooting search warrant documents released May 25, 2020

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:52 AM
  19. Oscarjackson12

I was pointing that out simply because you had mentioned that you were surprised that he hadn’t put a date. Geez I was so naive back then thinking that this - the closure of everything - would only last a few weeks. Nope.

20. MistyWaters

Yes, I understand what you meant and I thought I might’ve worded it wrong. I wasn’t expecting the business would’ve been opened, just that the phone message hasn’t been updated by April 15th. It is also my understanding dental/denturist businesses were indeed open only for emergency situations during that time but obviously not his business.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 1:43 PM