CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.orangeville.com/videozone/1070466
Not sure if this video has been posted yet - correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe I recognize the distinctive voice of Detective Smyth (RW case)at the intro.

Yes, the voice IS unique but I cannot be certain from where I've heard it before! Hhmmm.....

Sonia, we're all working to solve this for you. Be at peace.:911:

http://www.globaltoronto.com/timeline/6442471936/story.html

Sonia Varaschin murder: One year later

Monday, August 29, 2011 3:30 PM

Sonia Varashin, 42, of Orangeville, was reported missing on August 30, 2010.

Photo Credit: Orangeville Banner , Susan Braithwaite

It has been one year since 42-year-old nurse Sonia Varaschin went missing from her Orangeville home. The case remains unsolved despite a number of leads.

Global News takes a look back at the key moments of the investigation.

Read it on Global News: Sonia Varaschin murder: One year later

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/a...-yearlong-search-for-nurse-s-killer-continues
‘This is not CSI,’ police say as yearlong search for nurse’s killer continues

Published 4 minutes ago
In May, the OPP openly taunted the unknown killer at a news conference to announce they were collecting DNA samples from possible suspects.

“We have your DNA and it’s only a matter of time before we find out who you are,” Const. Peter Leon said.

But when asked Tuesday when the collection process is expected to be completed, Chamberland would only say that police “have no timelines.”

Police have said Varaschin might have been killed by a person she met on a dating website.

Using computer files seized from her home, police are tracking down the men who contacted Varaschin online to see if they can match up DNA evidence — or exclude them as suspects.

Quoted from dotr above:

But when asked Tuesday when the collection process is expected to be completed, Chamberland would only say that police “have no timelines.”

With all due respect to LE - why do I get the feeling that they're without answers to Sonia's murder?:twocents:

Quoted from dotr above:

With all due respect to LE - why do I get the feeling that they're without answers to Sonia's murder?:twocents:
I too was baffled by that answer, and made me wonder if it means some people on "the list" have refused to provide DNA or weather LE is still adding names to the list. It could also mean they still haven't gotten the results back from the forensics center.

LE have said they do have the DNA from Sonia's killer. Could someone knowledgeable in DNA testing, confirm to us if the sex of the perp, as well as eye colour and ethnicity could be determined if the sample came from hair follicle, skin tissue, etc. Thanks in advance :)
How about height, age?

I too was baffled by that answer, and made me wonder if it means some people on "the list" have refused to provide DNA or weather LE is still adding names to the list. It could also mean they still haven't gotten the results back from the forensics center.

LE have said they do have the DNA from Sonia's killer. Could someone knowledgeable in DNA testing, confirm to us if the sex of the perp, as well as eye colour and ethnicity could be determined if the sample came from hair follicle, skin tissue, etc. Thanks in advance :)
How about height, age?

If the DNA comes from sperm than we know the perp is male and what likely happened to Sonia. I'm not sure if physical attributes such as eye colour can be determined from DNA.

Off topic: What happened to Shelley Loder and her injuries? Has she been able to give a statement to police? TIA

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Crime/2011/08/29/18617371.html
Police have said there was no evidence of forced entry at the victim’s townhouse, but do not believe her slaying was random. They ruled out her previous boyfriend, but are trying to track anyone she may have been seeing in the months prior to her murder.

The OPP have not revealed her cause of death, but plan to make a statement Tuesday about progress in the investigation, Const. Peter Leon said.

Leon said officers are making good progress collecting DNA

Police have said there was no evidence of forced entry at the victim’s townhouse, but do not believe her slaying was random. They ruled out her previous boyfriend, but are trying to track anyone she may have been seeing in the months prior to her murder.

The OPP have not revealed her cause of death, but plan to make a statement Tuesday about progress in the investigation, Const. Peter Leon said.

I thought LE wanted DNA from all the men who she knew and not necessarily from men she was seeing. It could be someone who she knew from the neighbourhood, not a date. This is really frustrating.

Thanks dotr, I'm looking forward to Tuesday's statement.
No forced entry, not random and trying to track anyone she may have been seeing previous months, IMO seem to indicate LE believe Sonia let her killer in :( and not that Sonia forgot to lock the door, and the perp let himself/herself in ... all just MOO.

Glad to see that LE are confident in the progress of the investigation. They sure are not giving up on Sonia. :thumb:

The perp used the front door (at least to leave) from the photos and video I posted upthread. He left with her and her car so he had her car keys. His prints should be on those keys if he touched them with his bare hands. Maybe her keys were in view and she left the screen door unlocked. Him leaving through the front door is so risky and makes me think the perp was drunk or on drugs to take such a risk. JMO I wish LE would just give out more info in case it could help someone ID him, jog someone's memory about that night and following morning. Also, how the perp acted on the day Sonia was discovered, which was very soon after she was killed. The pert would have been freaking out I'm sure. Did he get a new girlfriend to diffuse things, to throw suspicion off of himself? (thinking to Rafferty in the Tori Stafford case).

I thought LE wanted DNA from all the men who she knew and not necessarily from men she was seeing. It could be someone who she knew from the neighbourhood, not a date. This is really frustrating.

I wonder if by LE looking further into people SV may have dated , might be indicative of the "type" of DNA that was retrieved....

http://www.citytv.com/toronto/cityn...raschin-s-death-remains-unsolved-1-year-later
Detectives also said last May that they would collect cheek swabs from Varaschin’s male personal and work associates.

Varaschin had been working at a Mississauga pharmaceutical company when she was murdered. She had quit a job at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket a month earlier due to disputes. She formerly worked as a nurse at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

I know this sounds terrible - but have LE checked out all family members? Brothers, male cousins, etc. It DOES seem to be that LE are looking for a male in this case. Just wondering and my mind is wandering.....:eek:

----------------------------

Quoted from dotr:
Varaschin had been working at a Mississauga pharmaceutical company when she was murdered. She had quit a job at Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket a month earlier due to disputes. She formerly worked as a nurse at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto.

This might be far out there - but hospital workers and people working at a phamaceutical company DO have great access to drugs. Could the killer have been demanding drugs from Sonia? (I'm grasping at straws here!)

Matou and everyone:

I don't have the link at the moment, but regarding blood stains - I did read that LE are looking for "blood-soaked sheets and other bed linens/covers" from Sonia's house. I believe that these items have never been located.:maddening:

It's coming so quickly to SV's one year anniversary. I'm pleased that the family is moving away from the area. That, at least, might offer a bit of peace. :(

---------------------------

I did locate the link about the blood soaked bedsheets:
http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...-blood-soaked-bedding-in-sonia-varaschin-case

This indicates (I think) that Sonia was killed horribly in or near her bedroom. The killer then found the sheets an 'easy' way to get rid of evidence. Just awful.

Thoughts??

I think you're right... From this article it does make it sound like she was in her bedroom when she was killed.

http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/535910--sonia-varaschin-s-final-days-filled-with-strife-mother-says

"On that fateful night, Michele wonders, did Sonia open her door to let in her cat, inviting a stranger? Sonia was likely in her nightclothes and getting ready for bed, her mother thinks. Her bedroom was blood-soaked after."

He (Const. Leon) is adamant Varaschin's killer - or killers - will be found.

"Every day that does pass brings us that much closer to hopefully finding the individual or individuals responsible for this horrific crime," he said.

As for the investigation, the voluntary DNA cheek swabs of certain men that began about three months ago continues. Among those asked to provide DNA samples, men Varaschin may have met through a dating website. Some have refused but Leon won't reveal how many explaining to 680News that it is part of the investigation. He also said contrary to what you see on television shows, DNA testing is incredibly time consuming.

I wonder if those who refused are being investigated further? Either they have an alibi for that night and morning or they don't.

http://www.680news.com/news/local/a...ar-anniversary-of-murder-of-orangeville-nurse

Well, in MY opinion I think LE should heavily pursue those who refused to have the swab done. There's really no reason not to co-operate with the police. Unless............:furious:

Well, in MY opinion I think LE should heavily pursue those who refused to have the swab done. There's really no reason not to co-operate with the police. Unless............:furious:

Some refused?!!! That's not good. I thought I had read that these men were being very cooperative. *Nothing to hide, nothing to fear comes to mind*

No worries Matou and N_S_U, sooner or later they will involuntarily 'donate'/discard DNA, much like in little Holly's case :(
Might take some time tough. I still can't believe some men refused to cooperate, tsk tsk :no: don't they realize it DOES make him/them look bad, and no excuse of 'protecting their privacy'!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jbks