CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, I think that they are stand alone murders. I also do not see any connection to the vicious beating of Shelley Loder.
Crime is increasing in Orangeville area, even as we speak, if I am to believe Orangeville.com.
This area is building up quickly, and with it comes crime of all sorts.
Some townsfolk just do not want to see it, which is understandable, as they led a relatively peaceful life prior to all of this.
The crime rate in Hamilton has always been there - however, in Audrey's case I believe that her murder was up front and personal.
Shelley Loder's was just a vicious attack without any motive. This was done by a very deranged person in broad daylight. He may be in prison, or in a mental hospital over "other issues".
Just my humble opinion.
JB

Sonia Varaschin’s final days filled with strife, mother says
Sun May 22 2011
Although Sonia Varaschin has been portrayed as a smiling, bubbly nurse who was loved by all, her life was hardly carefree.

In fact, her life was full of conflict in the days leading up to her murder, her mother says.

At the same time, OPP investigators have revealed that they will announce a “new phase” in the murder case Wednesday, although it does not involve an arrest or a person of interest, or even a reward.
Parts of the new phase in the investigation will lead back to Southlake Regional Health Centre in Newmarket, where some of the alleged conflict took place.

“We’re taking a look at all the issues surrounding her life — her friends, her work associates. All that is part of the ongoing investigation,” Det. Insp. Karski said.

According to Michele, Sonia had a confrontation with a supervisor while employed as a nurse at Southlake over Sonia’s decision to change a dosage that was prescribed for a patient.

The supervisor, Michele says, challenged why Sonia had changed the doctor’s orders without authorization and created tension in the workplace.

“She would come home crying every night,” Michele says. “She felt she was being treated like a criminal. She couldn’t take it anymore. I wanted to hire a lawyer, but she refused.”

Sonia quit the hospital and had been working happily for a month or so in Mississauga at the time of her murder, her mother says.

In addition, there was an alleged conflict between the hospital and the Workers’ Safety and Insurance Board over disability pay Sonia was due after taking time off to heal a shoulder injury suffered on the job, Michele says.

In fact, Michele says, a key meeting was called for that Monday, Aug. 30, within hours of her daughter’s murder, to decide who was responsible for making that payment.
In addition to those alleged disputes, Michele has revealed for the first time that her daughter, who lived alone, had several disputes with three or four young men, who had rented a unit a few doors away, because of their late-night rowdiness.

“She was a nurse who worked shifts, so she called the police on them several times
,” Michele says, adding that the young men have since moved out of the complex.
RS&BBM - long article
read more: http://www.thespec.com/news/crime/article/535910--sonia-varaschin-s-final-days-filled-with-strife-mother-says

That article is from 2011. Do you know if anything come out of the "new phase" of the investigation?

ETA: I guess the new phase was the DNA testing that started shortly after that article was printed (end of May 2011).
Oh, I'm sorry!! I was looking for news about Sonia, and this article was on the top, so when I saw May 22, I thought it was from this year....my apologies :blushing:
I just so want this case to be solved, her parents need to find out who did this to her and why, and see justice for her killer.

Please don't apologize, Hazel! I also thought it was a great reminder. I hope you didn't take my reply as criticism, because I didn't intend it that way at all. I was just curious about the new phase comment from the article and was hoping that there was progress with the investigation that we hadn't heard about yet. Sonia is never far from my mind, and like you, I so want justice for her and her family.

I would track down and askfor the dna of the 3 men who lived in those units, whom Sonia complained about to the police for rowdiness and late nite partying.

It will be two years this August. No disrespect for the Lead Detective on this case, who had to get caught up on hundreds of pages, and then direct the investigation.
Perhaps a new recruit on the team with "fresh eyes" will assist the Lead

I'm hoping there is a spur of activity in LE going on now in relation to Sonia's case; the depressing two-year anniversary should be an action galvanizer. I also hope there will actually be some REAL info given at end-of-August; it would be helpful to know if the young (former) neighbours have been DNA-tested and cleared, and if former co-workers and former dates (and the former bf) have also all been sampled. We could then work on fresh ideas! I just desperately hope, amid this deafening silence, that LE has much more to work with than I fear is the case................

Can someone remind me whether or not we had some discussion here on any possible connections between Sonia's case and the disappearance of Penny Warne from Wasaga Beach in 2009? Penny is still missing, all these years later. She was trained as a nurse but working at Wal-Mart at the time she disappeared. The nurse thing may be a coincidence. Apparently, Penny had recently established an Internet dating profile, had chatted with some men, and had been on a (or a couple of) date(s) with one person in particular, including a man with whom she was supposed to have met for a Valentine's date Feb 14 (she may have missed work already feb 13 -- a Friday; she was last seen Feb 11). I believe I read either a post somewhere or media report that the internet contacts had been checked and cleared. Anyway -- I remember something about Penny here or elsewhere (UC?) about Penny's case....

Does anyone recall, or have fresh ideas, in relation to Sonia? We are coming up end-of-aug to the two-year anniversay of Sonia's murder, but the board has never been so silent.

Hoping that VICLAS connects the perp in this case to others.

The Numbers

Since the implementation of ViCLAS across the country, the database continues to swell with cases. As of April 2007, there were approximately 300,000 cases on the system and over 3,200 linkages have been made thus far.

When linkages are made between cases they are put into a “Series.” These “Series” can contain any number of linkages, depending on how many cases an offender was involved in. There are currently over 88,000 series now on ViCLAS. These numbers confirm that there are a large number of serial offenders committing crimes against people on a regular basis in Canada. Linkages are expected to increase dramatically as compliance rates (compliance rates are based on the actual number of cases being put on the system, as compared to the currently much larger number of cases that qualify as ViCLAS reportable cases) increase and many provinces make reporting mandatory, as it now is in the provinces of Ontario and Quebec.

http://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/tops-opst/bs-sc/viclas-salvac-eng.htm

It still stands, unsolved. Her parents don't even know "how she died" They had the funeral - paid to have the blood stained apartment cleaned up. placed her townhouse up for sale, etc. etc.
Victim's families are often left with financial difficulty by the murder victim, even car payments owing or mortgage payments owing on the victim's home.

And banks want their money. We quite often don't consider that in the real world.
It is a very cruel world out there at times.
Too many times - in my opinion!!

New article:http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...a-varaschin-murder-probe-police-break-silence

Not much new info though. It's been almost two years since her murder.

At the end of the summit, police announced the killer may have become irritable and anxious, and increased his alcohol or drug use after the murder.

He may also have missed routine activities, like work or school.

He might have left the area or cut his social interactions.

Investigators told the public they also suspect he feels comfortable in the Orangeville area, either through work, recreation or illegal activity.

Police have said that the killer knew of Varaschin but they have never publicly said that she knew him.

The bolded selection makes me think it's someone from the townhouse complex. Because of the drugs and alcohol use in the profile, I also have to think it's some young doink who raped her and she fought back and he had to shut her up and ended up killing her. I don't think anything was stolen from her home so I don't see robbery as the motive. I totally agree that the perp knows O'ville very well. I suspect that the perp was drunk at the time of the murder as well because of the act of taking her in her car to the dump site and parking so close to the initial crime scene.

I hope the police are following potential suspects that have not volunteered their DNA. Anyone who was living near her townhouse and all visitors from that night should have already been tested. This case really makes me mad. I'm so sure someone is sitting on info about who did this. JMO

Matou --
the FBI statement in relation to this case intimated the perp may be someone who (excessively) consumes alcohol or drugs, so your suggestion about the perp being drunk seems to fit LE's profile. But just think: he managed to avoid all cameras in the area. He removed a person from her home and drove her car, was likely covered in blood and ... was not detected. I think this is someone who likely flies out of control quickly (in a rage) but who can equally quickly think and calculate coldly. I don't think he's "young" as is so often suggested NOR that he is an anxious-fidgety type prone to increased absenteeism post this crime. I believe he is more a "leader"-type -- but not someone who enjoys the spotlight -- who likes to control situations and may have a career that reflects this. I believe he is likely to be overly cautious but his "paranoia" isn't evident to others around him. This is why I believe he parked his car well away from Sonia's townhouse just as a regular matter of course for him. Anyway. This all feels very clear to me but I know it flies in the face of LE's representation. Some otheres here, though, also feel the same as I do. More thoughts?????????????

I'm not sure how he got away with not being caught on camera. He drove the car to the main strip in O'ville and it's very strange that there is no video captured of this. He drove through the back alley and I guess there aren't many cameras positioned there. The car was NOT well away from her home IMO. He could easily walk back to the townhouse complex if he had to. The camera thing doesn't change anything for me. He was lucky the businesses on the path did not have cameras or they were perhaps not functional. The van was captured on video but was coming from the west of Broadway and the perp was likely coming from the east onto the alley on Broadway. I also think he has people protecting him by withholding info. JMO

Matou --
I think he brought Sonia's car close to where his own car was parked. He must have been covered in blood so he woudn't want to walk any (even small) distance in the "open" because he would be so easily identified. In a car, he is more protected. So I believe he parked his vehicle a short distance from her townhouse and yet I don't necessarily think the crime was pre-meditated. (I think he's careful and private as a rule, and always parks a short distance from where he goes). And then after leaving Sonia in Caledon, he had to return to his vehicle. That's why Sonia's car was located where it was, IMO -- because it was close to his car. I know there are equally vaild or better theories that the perp didn't have a car, and walked to Sonia's and then walked home from where her car was left. That would suggest he does live in the area. Think about it: he would have been very exposed, walking in blood-covered clothes. THAT would be very "risky" behaviour as LE has described him in their profile -- but then again, he wouldn't have had a choice in that, regardless if he had removed Sonia or not. I'm more inclined to think he's a planner, that he used the vehicle (Sonia's, his own) in the same way he used Sonia's bedding as a "cover" for transport. I could be mistaken. But I just think if he was more the brash and reckless type generally, we would have more clues. I actually hope you are right that someone is protecting him -- that someone knows something and is keeping it quiet, because that secret will inevitably rupture. If someone knows something, it's only a matter of time before that leaks. I'm more worried that he looks like the "great guy" next door (so to speak) y'know -- the guy everyone says could never do something like this, in a million years. Myself, I don't think someone is "protecting" him but maybe that someone has some uneasy questions and is afraid to trust their "gut". Something sits wrong, but they keep telling themselves it's impossible he could be involved................ People need to trust those gut feelings.

New article:http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/cri...a-varaschin-murder-probe-police-break-silence

Not much new info though. It's been almost two years since her murder.

The bolded selection makes me think it's someone from the townhouse complex. Because of the drugs and alcohol use in the profile, I also have to think it's some young doink who raped her and she fought back and he had to shut her up and ended up killing her. I don't think anything was stolen from her home so I don't see robbery as the motive. I totally agree that the perp knows O'ville very well. I suspect that the perp was drunk at the time of the murder as well because of the act of taking her in her car to the dump site and parking so close to the initial crime scene.

I hope the police are following potential suspects that have not volunteered their DNA. Anyone who was living near her townhouse and all visitors from that night should have already been tested. This case really makes me mad. I'm so sure someone is sitting on info about who did this. JMO

This reminds me of the Holly Jones case in Toronto. They could be following someone who refused to test--hopefully, this is the case or else this case may never be solved.

Matou --
the FBI statement in relation to this case intimated the perp may be someone who (excessively) consumes alcohol or drugs, so your suggestion about the perp being drunk seems to fit LE's profile. But just think: he managed to avoid all cameras in the area. He removed a person from her home and drove her car, was likely covered in blood and ... was not detected. I think this is someone who likely flies out of control quickly (in a rage) but who can equally quickly think and calculate coldly. I don't think he's "young" as is so often suggested NOR that he is an anxious-fidgety type prone to increased absenteeism post this crime. I believe he is more a "leader"-type -- but not someone who enjoys the spotlight -- who likes to control situations and may have a career that reflects this. I believe he is likely to be overly cautious but his "paranoia" isn't evident to others around him. This is why I believe he parked his car well away from Sonia's townhouse just as a regular matter of course for him. Anyway. This all feels very clear to me but I know it flies in the face of LE's representation. Some otheres here, though, also feel the same as I do. More thoughts?????????????

As we all know from other cases, Psychopaths can carry on their lives as if nothing has happened--Michael Raffaerty comes to mind. Although he did get rid of one major piece of evidence--the back seat of his car.

quote from FlowerCB: "As we all know from other cases, Psychopaths can carry on their lives as if nothing has happened--Michael Raffaerty comes to mind. Although he did get rid of one major piece of evidence--the back seat of his car"

Exactly. Using Sonia's car means the perp didn't need to do something similarly "suspicious." Removing a back seat or having stains or shampooing soon after are precisely the kinds of things that might put the public on alert. He may have had a change of clothes in his car -- again, perhaps as a matter of course rather than pre-med -- or a blanket, to cover his own seats when he returned home. His clothes must have been blood-soaked or at least blood splattered. I wonder about his car mats; we had the bloody boot print (I think it was a print in blood, rather than in dirt, right?) so it would be interesting to know if any car mats were discarded. Again, this supposes he did drive that night. We don't actually know, and some others here are sure he must live close and have walked.

We still don't know the cause of death and/or the weapon used. If it was something from Sonia's house, that suggests the crime wasn't pre-meditated. I have been thinking a lot about whether Sonia opened the door to her attacker willingly, or whether he suprised her while sleeping, overpowered her while she was letting the cat out, or hid and waited somewhere in the house while she was at her folks. I think i believe he surprised her while sleeping. This is because I believe she was murdered in her bed and then bundled in the sheets used to carry her out. But I also think I may remember some discussion of blood elsewhere in he unit, whih may mean I'm mistaken. I don't recall any discussion of signs of struggle. Sonia would fight for her life, I believe -- hence why I feel she was not conscious when first assaulted.

I hope we will have news soon. I wish Sonia could speak to us, send us signs.... This latest news of a head, foot and hands in the credit river, which could have come from Caledon or o-ville or just about anywhere the river flows, is agonizing.

sorry if someone has already posted this story (but I don't think so). I have an identical post on UC. There isn't much new info EXCEPT: this report says there wee clear indications of a struggle in Sonia's townhome. Does anyone else ever remember hearing of a "struggle"? We knew when she went missing there were "signs" of foul play (the blood, the missing bedding) but ... did other reports suggest a "stuggle" -- that Sonia fought back? Or is this reporter iNTERPRETING? I have always based my assumption that Sonia was surprised in her sleep in part because I hadn't encountered reports of signs that Sonia fought back. Thoughts?
http://www.caledonenterprise.com/opinion/waiting-for-justice/

Thursday, August, 16, 2012 - 11:11:23 AM

Waiting for justice

Who killed Sonia Varaschin? It’s a question that has been asked for the past two years and yet, there are never any answers.

This month will be a difficult time for those close to Sonia; her family and friends who have been left in the dark as to who took their daughter, sister and friend from them.

If you live in the area, you will remember well the name and face of Sonia Varaschin, and the time when the entire community sprung into action to help bring the former Caledon resident home safely.

It’s been nearly two years since the petite 42-year-old nurse was taken from her Orangeville townhouse where she lived alone. If there was ever any doubt she had been met with foul play, police fears were solidified after finding her blood-splattered car in downtown Orangeville on Aug. 30 and blood in her home where it became clear a struggle had occurred. But hope was still held out for Sonia’s safe return.

It didn’t come.

Despite the hundreds of posters tacked up across Orangeville and Caledon, on businesses, lampposts and mailboxes, with newspapers and television screens showcasing a dark-haired woman with a sweet smile, Sonia never made it home.

What her Bolton-area family feared most came true just a week after her disappearance. Word spread fast that a woman’s body had been discovered in a Caledon field on Sept. 5, not far from the Orangeville border. Police later confirmed what everyone already knew; Sonia wasn’t coming home.

Her disappearance and subsequent murder shocked the surrounding communities and changed the way women felt about being alone in their own homes.

We tend to think of small town communities as havens of safety. The murder of Sonia Varaschin changed that mentality. It changed how we live.

Although the hysteria of the initial distress has subsided in the two years since she was last seen living and breathing, no closure for her family and the community has come. There’s always a nagging presence in the back of your mind as we wait for the day to learn who killed Sonia Varaschin.

But as the days and years go by with little updates from the police in a case that we’re assured hasn’t gone cold, hope for a conviction is waning.

There is no closure, but that doesn’t mean we’ll stop holding out hope for someone out there to slip up, and for justice to be served for a murder that changed many of us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member