CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Hockley+Valley+Provincial+Nature+Reserve/@43.9809757,-80.0588166,3a,37.7y/data=!3m8!1e2!3m6!1sAF1QipP4pcBd2ZDEA57O-3DcdAADv1wKPYK-63_b5ZFn!2e10!3e12!6shttps://lh5.googleusercontent.com/p/AF1QipP4pcBd2ZDEA57O-3DcdAADv1wKPYK-63_b5ZFn=w86-h152-k-no!7i2988!8i5312!4m8!1m2!2m1!1s10th+Sideroad+in+Mono!3m4!1s0x882affc8197a2e3d:0x249e7650ab501d95!8m2!3d43.9809757!4d-80.0588166

Perhaps we should think about, if this Hockley Valley Provincial Nature Reserve ^^ played an indirect role in connection with Sonia's murder (Orangeville) and SL's violent, nearly fatal attack on her (Mono) in 2010 at intervals of 3 months (8+10/2010).

SoniaVaraschinShelleyLoder2010MapNatureReserve.jpg

It might be, that the same killer stayed there for a reason (don't know yet, which except hiking) in August and December. In August 2010 someone killed SV, and in December someone assaulted Shelley, both women in a very violent way. SV and SL had a similar age and had similar (pretty) optics. It could be, that the match is no coincidence and the perp somehow found a "set of 2", he wanted to kill. Maybe, he found Sonia first, couldn't finish his plan and returned 3 months later to "complete" his compulsion, to kill two females. Sonia he found through a dating portal perhaps (we don't know); Shelley he may have found through her Photo studio/advertising (we also don't know).
-.-.-
If you want to learn, why I suddenly have these thoughts, you might read the following WS thread:
Found Deceased - IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #121

My personally "poi" in that case would have been 23 around the time (2010) in case Sonia/Shelley. He may have had "yellow" hair at the time, possibly also "orange". The perp, who was seen near Mono, had orange hair, if I remember right. My "poi" in 2010 had money on his hands, AFAIK, and I think, at many times he could have been at different locations, just where he wanted to fly/drive, if he had free time.
SoniaPhantom.jpeg
Please, do a comparison of ^^ this pic and my avatar. Do you see a resemblance, slightly? Do you think, this sketch from 2010 (Shelley/Mono) could be the man from 2017 (Delphi/Indiana - avatar)?
-.-.-
If you are discarding my idea of a possible connection, I will have understanding, immediately. :)
(Unfortunately we have no sketch in case Sonia; nobody was seen near her home or at the second/third crime scene.)

I've been thinking of Sonia a lot these days and I'm wondering if satellite imagery going back nearly 10 years could be used to see when Sonia's vehicle was moving around the night she was murdered? I don't know how this technology works or if information is saved that long, but I wonder if LE ever delved into this option? Perhaps the technology wasn't available back then, or if it was, maybe the quality wasn't the best. It's just a thought. Perhaps they could narrow down the timeline this way? Also, I realize investigators used the Parabon Snapshot technology awhile ago; so why are they not releasing the computer generated photo to the public? Wouldn't that get the tip lines buzzing again? Perhaps LE know who did this and are just watching and waiting? For what, we can only guess. I realize this technology can eliminate many persons of interest as well as focus on a more viable suspect. So frustrating.
Praying for an arrest this year.

Winnie, that's a brilliant idea about satellite. We need one of the journos to get involved deep again to probe with new -- or even old -- questions again; this would be a great start, to press for responses about satellite imaging.
I'm sorry but I think I must have missed if Snapshot parabon was used in Sonia's case. I feel like for many years I kept well abreast of the details but as time has passed and hope for answers has dimmed a bit, I'm out of the loop. My feeling is that LE has not used the new tech. I think a lot of sleuthers were vociferously actively calling for this use. (I have my own fears for why LE hasn't). If I've missed that Parabon was used, I'll be so happy to hear this. And if so then, yes, LE should release some details about the profile.
By just about every count, Sonia's murder continues to impact the community and people have not forgotten her. So let's hope the 10-year anniversary will bring real, rigorous, probing journalist spotlight on her case (not a token update), and some pressure on LE to share more info with her family and the public. I know LE wants to solve her case -- it's just that, after all this time, maybe we need some fresh eyes and new strategies. My word, we need that tip LE keeps saying is out there in the "public" to come into the light of day!
Hoping everyone is staying safe and healthy in these ongoing pandemic conditions.

Bumping and wondering about the status of the DNA collected in SV's case.
National DNA Data Bank celebrates 20 years of service to law enforcement and criminal justice communities
News provided by
Royal Canadian Mounted Police
June 30 2020
''OTTAWA, ON, June 30, 2020 /CNW/ - Twenty years ago, DNA was a relatively new tool and like all areas of forensic science, it has evolved over time. Today, forensic science, including DNA analysis, plays a significant role in crime scene investigations and has proven to be a powerful tool for the administration of justice.

While DNA made its first appearance in Canadian courtrooms in the late 1980s, it was not until 2000 that legislation led to the creation of the National DNA Data Bank (NDDB). This meant that for the first time, it was now possible to collect and store the DNA profiles of convicted offenders and of unknown DNA from crime scenes. The main goals of the NDDB are to link crime scenes across jurisdictions, help identify or eliminate a suspect, and determine whether a serial offender has been involved in certain crimes whether the crimes took place locally, across the country, or halfway around the world.''
''Quick facts
  • In 1989, a blood sample the size of a quarter was needed to develop a DNA profile. Today, a sample the size of about 10 per cent of what would fit on the head of a pin is all that is required.
  • NDDB employees work with barcodes and have no information about the specifics of the investigation or the personal identification of the convicted offender. This respects privacy and ensures the system produces hits based on science.
  • Total number of DNA profiles in the Convicted Offender Index: 402,960
  • Total number of DNA profiles in the Crime Scene Index: 175,596
  • Total number of hits reported: 70,203
  • Oldest case involving a crime scene sample: 1964
  • Most number of hits to a single convicted offender DNA profile: 63
  • Oldest case assisted through a hit made by the NDDB: 1976, a homicide in British Columbia''

Re post
Aug 2019
‘Who left the DNA?’ Sonia Varaschin murder investigators exploring ‘new science’ to find Orangeville nurse’s killer
''Speaking to The Banner on Wednesday, Aug. 28, Glassford said investigators continue to explore STR mix technology, which aims to separate multiple samples of DNA collected in one sample from each other.

“There was DNA at the scene. We’re trying to identify that DNA. Who left the DNA there?” Glassford explained.

“We don’t have blinders on. We’re not just saying there is one person. There could have been more than one person involved,” he said. “We have a very stubborn team that wants to find a resolution, find the person or persons responsible.”

Glassford said investigators have also “examined” DNA phenotyping, which aims to predict a person’s physical appearance or ancestry for forensic purposes.

“I don’t want to say too much about that. It’s been considered. We’re not ignoring it,” he said. “I wouldn’t say we’re done with it.”

Then, there is familial DNA searching, which is designed to confirm or refute whether a person leaving DNA at a crime scene is a father, son, or full sibling of someone already in the DNA database.''

Murder of Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin featured in new OPP unsolved homicide, missing persons video series
NEWS Jan 22, 2020 by Chris Halliday Orangeville Banner

Can you help find the clue needed to solve the murder of Orangeville nurse Sonia Varaschin?

It’s been more than nine years since the 42-year-old woman's homicide, but many unanswered questions about her death remain.

On Wednesday (Jan. 22), the OPP released a video in hopes the behind-the-scenes look could help spark new tips from the public that could potentially help crack two unsolved cases.
-.-
For example, it tells the story of how an Orangeville Police Service (OPS) officer frequently visits the location where Varaschin’s body was found to better connect with the case.

“It’s not an easy role to assume, there’s a lot of emotion involved in it,” explained OPS Det. Jodee Hobor. “Throughout working on this case, I would come out and sit here.”

For example, it tells the story of how an Orangeville Police Service (OPS) officer frequently visits the location where Varaschin’s body was found to better connect with the case.

“It’s not an easy role to assume, there’s a lot of emotion involved in it,” explained OPS Det. Jodee Hobor. “Throughout working on this case, I would come out and sit here.”

I thought:
Maybe, she should spend time at the other CS as well: where the bed sheet (or similar) was found and where her car was parked? Maybe, intuition would set in there? Idk.

The site is for submitting short stories; the author (who seems NOT to be the young woman whose image is posted heading the story; if you click the author's moniker it seems to be someone else...) appears to describe elsewhere that the narrative is a "true story" -- though it's hard for me to say for sure, since I haven't properly followed all the links. It's just bizarre. But there is definitely the statement about 2 brothers confessing to Sonia's murder.
I have called this in as a tip, even though I'm not especially hopeful about it.
Here's hoping SOMETHING will move in Sonia's case very soon.
Keep safe and well, all.

Last edited:
Rbbm,
WARMINGTON: OPP determined to solve 2010 murder of Sonia Varaschin | Toronto Sun
Aug 29, 2020
''Police may not yet have Sonia Varaschin’s killer in handcuffs but there are things that the killer who has eluded justice for ten years may not realize they do have.

They have DNA. They have an understanding of his possible movements after the murder.''

''And it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may be on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville.

Could this new detail help lead to the arrest of the person who murdered the 42-year-old nurse?''

Rbbm,
WARMINGTON: OPP determined to solve 2010 murder of Sonia Varaschin | Toronto Sun
Aug 29, 2020
''Police may not yet have Sonia Varaschin’s killer in handcuffs but there are things that the killer who has eluded justice for ten years may not realize they do have.

They have DNA. They have an understanding of his possible movements after the murder.''

''And it turns out, police are also holding security video footage of a car travelling away from the homicide scene at a high rate of speed, a vehicle they believe may be on its way to dispose of her body near Orangeville.

Could this new detail help lead to the arrest of the person who murdered the 42-year-old nurse?''
Do we assume, that it was SV's own car on the way to the place of disposing? If I remember right, her parked car seemed to have been used for driving her body to the place, it was found.

Do we assume, that it was SV's own car on the way to the place of disposing? If I remember right, her parked car seemed to have been used for driving her body to the place, it was found.
Though I don't believe it has ever been released/stated as fact, it is the assumption, it was Sonia's car that was used to transport her, due to the blood evidence left behind on it.

Well, I have finished re-speed reading this tragic story. Speed-reading in the four hour sense of the term, lol.

The question that nags, and has been asked many times, is "Why was she taken from her house?". Most of the time the question is just dropped, and the only answer to the question that I can find on these boards is that the killer was concerned about his /her/their own DNA being left at the scene. I can't find any other offerings than that.

It got me to thinking, do we really know that she died in her home? No. While the police may have worded it that way, and while much of the damage was clearly inflicted at the home, the moment of death may have occurred later. If that were to be the case, where was this eventual killer taking Sonia? I can think of three possibilities.

1, the person that entered her home demanded something from her, such as an address to somewhere, or a debit card and PIN. When Sonia was not forthcoming, the perp became violent, and hurt her very badly, bundling her and dragging her to the car with the hopes that they may still get their answer. En route, it became clear that Sonia was no longer alive, and the plan changed and she was left at the Beech Grove location.
2. that the killer was taking Sonia to another actual destination until it was realized that they had went too far and she was thus left off the side of the road.
3. the the killer may have been someone close to her that hurt her badly in a fit of rage, and then realizing what they had done, decided to take her to the hospital. On the way, realizing that Sonia had passed, they panicked and left her at the side of the road.

Or, variants of these.

While I am sure that the police have went over every theory a million different ways, it just stuck out to me how often this question was posed in the group and went unanswered.

I'd love to hear any other thoughts on it.

1, the person that entered her home demanded something from her, such as an address to somewhere, or a debit card and PIN. When Sonia was not forthcoming, the perp became violent, and hurt her very badly, bundling her and dragging her to the car with the hopes that they may still get their answer. En route, it became clear that Sonia was no longer alive, and the plan changed and she was left at the Beech Grove location.
bbm
Something diffuse re SV's new employer, the Pharmacy, to get drugs/medications through her?

I always thought Dellen Millard and possibly Mark Smich were involved although I’m not sure they knew each other back then. It is interesting to note that Dellen Millard turned 25 years old on Aug. 30th 2010. I believe he was familiar with the Caledon area from his Brampton flight club days as a younger kid but this is just my guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie