CANADA Canada - Sonia Varaschin, 42, Orangeville, 29 Aug 2010 - #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used the map ruler - 4KM (2.5 miles) from SV recovery location to Exotic Animal recovery location as the crow flies.

Each stretch of the 4 sides of geography are apx 3KM (1.8 miles).

This is NOT far at all - not in rural Ontario! People would walk and certainly drive this easily and in 5 minutes or less. Also via ATV etc.

I HOPE LE reviews the exotic pet store purchases, for that number of snakes, somebody has stopped purchasing, and an alligator....well...people know about this!

It's important that this is being investigated a possible animal cruelty case. Cruelty to animals does not occur in isolation. People who abuse animals can be people who abuse people.

Exotic reptiles found dead in Caledon ditch | Toronto Sun

I used the map ruler - 4KM (2.5 miles) from SV recovery location to Exotic Animal recovery location as the crow flies.

Each stretch of the 4 sides of geography are apx 3KM (1.8 miles).

This is NOT far at all - not in rural Ontario! People would walk and certainly drive this easily and in 5 minutes or less. Also via ATV etc.

I HOPE LE reviews the exotic pet store purchases, for that number of snakes, somebody has stopped purchasing, and an alligator....well...people know about this!

Snakes need food and aquariums. Snakes eat frozen rodents. As for an alligator, someone knows. You're right.

Bumping for Sonia --
reminder from the 10-year ann article at Investigators still working to crack Varaschin murder a decade later : Orangeville Citizen : https://citizen.on.ca that:

"He's [Det,Insp. S. Glassford] explaining the angle that the car was found, and how it might tell the direction her killer came to park the vehicle in plain sight. Did her killer come from Broadway, making multiple 3 point turns to park? Did they come from Third St. and make a wide turn to park or do they come down Dairy Lane and pull in like common sense, Glassford said, would suggest?

'Down here, where we are, is to me important. They obviously know that this little laneway's here and then you can park a car. To leave her car in an area that the public has access to, this car could have been sitting here for days you wouldn't notice it, whereas a car parked in the middle of nowhere is going to stand out to people,' said Glassford. 'Maybe there's been some thought there or maybe not, maybe they had to get the car back into town and from their takeoff, who knows.' ” (End of excerpt.)

I have always thought the perp (or perps), at least post-attack, was/were calculating their moves, that the "risks" were strategically mobilized. So I believe (contrary, I know, to others' equally viable views here) that the perp(s) parked their vehicle near the tack shop so that no passersby (maybe Sonia herself?) could recognize/identify it parked near her house, stealthily walked to the townhouse and likely entered without Sonia knowing or by some ruse (ex: need to use the phone) or by familiarity (she knew them in some way), then used her car to transport Sonia to the remote location and then back to their vehicle. The perp(s) was/were likely covered in blood; being in a car (Sonia's) at that point post-attack seems to me to offer more protection than less in terms of minimizing visibility and suspicion (contrary, for example, to their arrival). But why did they remove Sonia from her home???? Maybe to distance from the scene, as general theories go; maybe for opportunity to "return" to the crime later; maybe to degrade evidence; maybe to plant suspicion on her BF, since she was relocated closer to his residence; maybe, as some folks have said, for remorse and so the family wouldn't find her in her home or as an attempt to revive her; or... -?

I don't know if Sonia's murder was pre-meditated or not, and certainly the brutality of it all indicates this is the action of someone VERY dangerous; I'd agree the violence seems like madness. But actions before and after the crime all seem to me cold and calculated rather than as wildly impassioned as I think the crime itself..... So the identifier "young and reckless" as we've heard doesn't fully add up in my mind, although I know I may be wrong.

I guess the urgent questions remain: did anyone hear or see anything strange on that Sunday-Monday eve/morn that Sonia was murdered -? Was someone seen walking to her townhouse or (contrary to my theory) from the tack shop in the those hours? Was another vehicle seen near there in that time? Did anyone return home late, act strangely, clean their car and/or clothes on that Monday??

Ahhh, I know. We've been through this all before, including the debates over differing theories. It just feels like we remain in such a stall..... Glassford says the case is solvable, but that it can often take 20, 30 years. I sure hope we don't have to wait that long.....

Last edited:
Just a reminder, from ONTARIO COLD CASE: OPP could be searching for multiple suspects in unsolved Sonia Varaschin murder case :

" 'It’s quite apparent from our scene examination that when the culprit left the scene, he was covered in a significant amount of blood. The blood would be expected to be on both footwear and clothing,' Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard said days following Sonia’s disappearance, adding it was not known if she’d been removed from her home dead or alive."

SOMEBODY must have had to clean their car and/or clean/destroy clothing and footwear. WHO might have seen that? Shoes or clothes in the garbage? I think it was a Monday morning - Aug 30 2010. Might a neighbour, girlfriend or wife, mother, sibling, friend, co-worker have spied ANYTHING unusual? Call it in.....

How to Solve a Cold Case - Michael Arntfield - Paperback (harpercollins.ca)
by Michael Arntfield
On Sale: 04/19/2022
213101.jpg

"Get inside the mind of an elite cold case detective and learn how to solve a murder.

Despite advances in DNA evidence and forensic analysis, almost half of murder cases in Canada and the US remain unsolved. By 2016, the solved rate had dropped so significantly in the United States that it was the lowest in recorded history, with one in two killers never even identified, much less arrested and successfully prosecuted. And the statistics are just as bad in Canada.

As a sought-after global expert and former detective, Arntfield has devoted his career to helping solve cold cases and serial murders, including the creation of the Western University Cold Case Society, which pairs students with police detectives to help solve crimes.

In How to Solve a Cold Case, Arntfield outlines the history of cold case squads in Canada and the US, and lays out the steps to understanding and solving crime. Arntfield shows you what to look for, how to avoid common mistakes, recognize patterns and discover what others have missed. Weaving in case studies of cold crimes from across Canada and the US, as well as a chapter on how armchair detectives can get involved, How to Solve a Cold Case is a must-read for mystery fans and true crime buffs everywhere.''

Book looks fab.

One thing that frustrates me: regardless of the debates regarding whether the perp(s) walked or drove home after returning Sonia's car outside the tack shop, we KNOW that her killer/accomplice drove her vehicle. That's not in ANY dispute. Were fingerprints collected from the seat adjuster, rearview mirror, door handle, trunk lift? ("Shiny," hard, and clean surfaces all tend to yield better results as per https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06...w-victim-of-crimes-can-help-police/100180538; remember that Sonia' dad had washed her car that Sunday). What position was the driver seat in -- I assume in a different position than what Sonia would have set? And if so, does the position suggest someone of medium or tall-ish height? And:

Where are her car and house keys???? And if they are in LE custody, did these yield prints? If not: can the public help in identifying her key-ring / key holder if missing? Were these Sonia's spare or regular keys? Were there any identifying/ personalized features on that ring?

My word. Holdback info is vital to integrity of an investigation, I know. But how can the public help if we don't know what to keep an eye out for?

Last edited:
Again - maybe, it will help in 2022:
ONTARIO COLD CASE: Is an arrest close in brutal attack of Shelley Loder?
The vicious attack on Shelley Loder and the murder of Sonia Varaschin occurred three months apart in 2010. There are similarities and dissimilarities to each crime. Could the same offender be responsible? Could it be a copycat? The OPP doesn’t believe they're connected but continues to keep an open mind.
LoderSketch1_Super_Portrait.jpg

This sketch ^^ in case SL ................
(Afaik, he had orange hair at the time.)

“It may not have been the same day but somebody remembered seeing a person walking on that street, on that road (Mono),” he said. “We haven’t been able to identify the person but we don’t believe he is involved, but we have to keep an open mind on all this information.”

Last edited:
Just a reminder, from ONTARIO COLD CASE: OPP could be searching for multiple suspects in unsolved Sonia Varaschin murder case :

" 'It’s quite apparent from our scene examination that when the culprit left the scene, he was covered in a significant amount of blood. The blood would be expected to be on both footwear and clothing,' Det. Insp. Mark Pritchard said days following Sonia’s disappearance, adding it was not known if she’d been removed from her home dead or alive."

SOMEBODY must have had to clean their car and/or clean/destroy clothing and footwear. WHO might have seen that? Shoes or clothes in the garbage? I think it was a Monday morning - Aug 30 2010. Might a neighbour, girlfriend or wife, mother, sibling, friend, co-worker have spied ANYTHING unusual? Call it in.....

At the very least, what happened to the work boots?

Wouldn't dumping bloody clothing and shoes be risky? Then again cleaning up is risky too. What do killers typically do in these scenarios?

Another thing, how long would all of this take? From entering the town house to ditching the car in the lot, how much time would this take someone? Not to mention they still had to get home, get rid of the rest of the evidence and act like nothing happened.

Exactly, Whiterhino!!
Did the perp have to be in to work Monday morning? Were they late? Were they acting strangely? Did they say something "off"?
It's possible that somebody in Ontario familiar with Sonia's case has a memory that keeps tugging, some question mark that points to something odd, in relation to someone's behaviour (whatever that might mean) that day. What clue, what piece of evidence or detail, what line of questioning might prompt them to see connections and, more importantly, galvanize them to call in a tip?

Will LE ever specifically say if they pulled fingerprints off the rear-view mirror or other surface of Sonia's car, or from any of the crime scenes? (I know this isn't useful if prints belong to others known to Sonia who would reasonably be expected to have prior prints in her home or car. But I've been watching a LOT of real crime shows lately, and often the perp(s) will leave bloodied prints - that's a likely distinction from expected ones). We don't know what the murder weapon is because LE has never told us; all we know is (sorry for the graphic refs here) that Sonia lost a lot of blood. IF a knife was used, often (as shows like Forensic Files and others indicate), an attacker is likely to cut themselves if the knife becomes slippery. Is this how LE gathered DNA? Is this a reason why LE has talked about "mixed DNA" samples in Sonia's case -- is that because Sonia's and the perp's blood is mixed, or is it a reference to the possibility of two (or more?) perps? What's the update on using the "new technology" to separate mixed DNA samples that LE discussed earlier?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998