Canada - Terry, 27, & Hailey Blanchette, 2, Blairmore, AB, 14 Sept 2015 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
All to easy to speculate. And we have been here and done this all to often before. Whatshername Baker was the easy one. But then I defended Casey Anthony to the bitter end, and not unfounded as it happens, in Law.

I also Moderate on a McCann Forum, and I ain't half as reasonable as the Moderators on this Site.

Except for the first degree murder charge.

But that doesn't tell us as much as we think it does. It doesn't necessarily mean "premeditated". It could have been 2nd degree, but got upgraded to 1st because it was in conjunction with an abduction.

From what I understand, the charges of 1st degree murder don't necessarily confirm premeditation. Without further context on the charges, we just can't know.

Edit: girlwiththestartat beat me to it. What she said.

Not sure whether that quote has been attributed to LE or whether it's simply inaccurate wording by the reporter. At the time that article was written LE had no idea what the relationship was between DS and TB other that that they knew each other. I highly doubt that at that point they'd concluded that DS planned these murders in advance. Who knows? Until a motive is revealed I really have no opinion on whether it was planned.

It is also context. Planned could be that DS planned on killing more than 1 person/child. It is suspicious that the 69 year old woman was found murdered in her home which is next door to DS' grandparents, but no one talks about this.

It is also context. Planned could be that DS planned on killing more than 1 person/child. It is suspicious that the 69 year old woman was found murdered in her home which is next door to DS' grandparents, but no one talks about this.

I'm sure its being looked at. It was a long time before Dellen Millard was charged with the murders of Laura Babcock and his own father, even though the info was out there quite quickly.

It should be noted that the accused may be wrongly accused - or even falsely accused. We may get insight tomorrow during his court appearance. Even the first degree charges should be met with skepticism until the case against him is proven, in all fairness. In light of all that has been published, this seems impossible. But in light of history, it is not unheard of, even in recent years.

Everyone deserves the right to a fair trial; the presumption of innocence.

It should be noted that the accused may be wrongly accused - or even falsely accused. We may get insight tomorrow during his court appearance. Even the first degree charges should be met with skepticism until the case against him is proven, in all fairness. In light of all that has been published, this seems impossible. But in light of history, it is not unheard of, even in recent years.

Everyone deserves the right to a fair trial; the presumption of innocence.

It was reported that DS told investigators where HDB's body was. Pretty sure that takes away any chance of him being falsely accused.

Just one thing and I am not accusing the mom of anything. She says the last time she spoke with Terry was September 9. Yet she was in the middle of moving and because of that she was not able to pick Hailey up on Sunday as she was supposed to do. So she had to contact Terry about this, right...? Or was it planned days earlier?
Idk everything is so unclear now days with im and texts. Most people in their age group text now. And I'd consider that not actually talking yet still enough to communicate pick up times and ect

The accused knew where Hailey's remains were located. That is an extremely strong indicator of guilt.

<modsnip>I really don't get how anyone could suggest DS "loved" or "honestly loved" Hailey. Nobody who loved a child could do that to them, not ever. You know who loved Hailey? Her Mom and her poor deceased Dad. They seemed to love her very much. Admirable how they took on parenting with such maturity at so young an age.

It was reported that DS told investigators where HDB's body was. Pretty sure that takes away any chance of him being falsely accused.

Do we know that for sure? Even if it's true it's possible he was covering for someone.
People make false confessions all the time, that's why LE always keep certain details about murders a secret until the trial - so they can weed out false confessions from people who weren't even involved in any way.

I'm not sure if this means anything but the Funeral Home has started posting the details. For both Hailey and Terry they have the date of death is Sept 14, 2015. Hailey wasn't found till the 15 which I thought they usually listed the date when someone is found as the date of death. Does anyone know?

I wouldn't think so, as that would not be accurate. I think it is common practice for investigators to use various indicators (insect populations, state of rigor, decomp, body temp, and other evidence) to determine as accurately as possible the time of death of the deceased. I wouldn't see why funeral homes would indicate an inaccurate date of death when the correct date is available.

The RCMP in Pincher Creek have the investigations of three murders, one suspicious death (missing woman's remains found at Oldman Reservoir) and one sudden death (in a hotel) in less than a week. That is a lot for a small-town detachment. They're getting outside help, but still! Let's hope no stone goes unturned in all these investigations.

I wouldn't think so, as that would not be accurate. I think it is common practice for investigators to use various indicators (insect populations, state of rigor, decomp, body temp, and other evidence) to determine as accurately as possible the time of death of the deceased. I wouldn't see why funeral homes would indicate an inaccurate date of death when the correct date is available.

I don't believe the funeral home is the one that issues the death certificate. Believe it is a doctor or a coroner.

It's considered first degree if the murder happens while executing another crime, such as a kidnapping or a break and enter.

Just to correct this, that may be true in the US but in Canada first degree murder charge can't be laid if police can only prove intent to commit a break and enter.

"The Prosecution is not required to prove purpose and intent to kill when the alleged murder involved killing a police officer or if the purported murder was committed in the context of the commission of terrorism, offences committed on behalf of a criminal organization, hostage taking, forcible confinement, kidnapping, hijacking, (aggravated) sexual assault (with a weapon), and intimidation." http://defence-law.com/homicide/

Personally, I don't think LE believe the intent was 'only' to kidnap Hailey and then return her once a ransom was paid, but something went wrong. Where would he have intended to keep her? The van would have to be returned in the morning, etc.

If there isn't enough evidence of premeditation, sometimes first degree is downgraded to 2nd degree at the preliminary trial, but the initial charge reflects what LE/prosecution believe happened.

The accused knew where Hailey's remains were located. That is an extremely strong indicator of guilt.
Sure. But missing answers is an extremely strong indicator of mistakes.

The police are sluggish with new details. This is an extremely strong indicator of a continuing investigation. Even if involved, the accused may not have been acting alone. Patience pays in the form of solid convictions. Rushes to judgement lead to, well, OJ acquittals.

"A good efficient, competent, noncorrupt police department will carefully set about the business of investigating homicides. They won't rush to judgment. They won't be bound by an obsession to win at all costs. They will set about trying to apprehend the killer or killers and trying to protect the innocent from suspicion." - Johnnie Cochran

http://law2.umkc.edu/faculty/projects/ftrials/Simpson/cochranclose.html

I don't entirely understand American Law, but I do predispose other aspects. Like if en there was some other reason that contributed to the death of this child.
He didn't actually have to kill her, did he. And if he killed her just because she saw too much, then that is a predisposition. But if he killed her just because he wanted to then that would be an entirely different thing. A predisposed intent. And actually more awful. If this is possible.

Britain doesn't differentiate. A child was killed.

But I suspect that Canadian Law could be a bit more convoluted.

Sorry. I was briefly trying to make some sense of this.

I've been reading on websleuths for years, reading case after case,what started me was the Casey Anthony case, when her daughter went missing, all the way through till the trial. Now this case hits way too close to home, I'm from Alberta, and this little girl stole my heart. This case was what made me sign up for an account, finally after all these years lurking and reading, I have read every single post on this website about this case.
my biggest question is why is there no kidnapping charge added to the charges that were laid? My guess is that poor Hailey was not alive when he took her out of the house, and that is why,or is there any indication or proof that tells us otherwise? Maybe the screams that were reported in the media ( if that's even true)were because her life was also taken in the house therefore there was no kidnapping because he took a dead not live child out with him? JMO.

:wagon: Great first post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members