GUILTY Canada - Tess Richey, 22, Toronto, 25 Nov 2017 *Arrest*

It doesn't make me feel better at all IMO. What about his parents? Siblings, if any? Why can't they be interviewed? His mother must be able to shed some light, no? I'm guessing they can probably refuse to be interviewed? They don't want to be involved? They don't have to come forward? What is the problem? This is very telling IMHO. Makes that FB post so much more questionable.

I'm so full of rant!! Sorry.....

They may have lawyered up as soon as it broke. He has one brother, hope its ok to state that fact.
Two parents, two households, must be someone outside of the family who knew him??

What I don't get is that he went to university, where are the people he grew up with? hung out with?
Neighbours? Teachers?

The street where I live, everyone would have an opinion and be right out front gabbing about it.
Thats what I hate about my area but really, he has grown up in a bubble?

The police seem to know only that he lived with and worked for his father. I am puzzled by that, not critical, just puzzled.

It doesn't make me feel better at all IMO. What about his parents? Siblings, if any? Why can't they be interviewed? His mother must be able to shed some light, no? I'm guessing they can probably refuse to be interviewed? They don't want to be involved? They don't have to come forward? What is the problem? This is very telling IMHO. Makes that FB post so much more questionable.

I'm so full of rant!! Sorry.....

Im sure the police have tried speaking with the family but my understanding is that no one has to talk to the police at all. You do have to identify yourself and maybe give your address but thats it.

If I am wrong, any lawyers feel free to point out any obligations on the part of John/Jane Doe.

Mind you, this guy had a tape out well before the arrest, so thats probably when they lawyered up.

I don't think the police are terribly confident of this case, thats why they're asking for help.

Just 'taking' from Det. Idsinga in the BM case, they need to get a break or two. I fear thats true here.

Lets hope someone steps up and soon.

Was Kalen in court yesterday? Tweets from a sister and a friend of Tess' seem to say so. Nothing in the news. Seems like it was another video appearance.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...d-for-man-accused-of-killing-tess-richey.html
Kalen Schlatter, 21, is now facing a first-degree murder charge after initially being charged with second-degree murder.
The new charge, of first-degree murder, means police believe the killing was both planned and deliberate. “A murder is planned if it was conceived of and thought out before it was carried out. A murder is deliberate if the acts involved were intended and purposeful,” criminal lawyer Daniel Brown explained to the Star.

Brown has no involvement in this case.
“The plan to kill need not be elaborate or complicated and the deliberation need not be lengthy. All that matters is that some form of planning to kill the person occurred at some point and that the accused person deliberately carried out the plan successfully,” he said.
rbbm.

Schlatter to appear in court tomorrow. Very glad to hear of the upgrade to first degree murder.

One sick puppy is heading to the big house.

So *advertiser censored**ing happy the charges were upped. Through sleuthing, and tracking the one photo we have of Kalen posted through his friend - I discovered I know someone who was at york the same time as him, and was friends with the person who posted the one known pic we have.

They said they knew Kalen but never pursued a friendship and kept their distance because "he made me very uncomfortable". They are currently looking through old photos from that time now to see if he is in any of them. They'll be reaching out to other people to contact the police about their interactions with him.

It looks like the narrative has always been: this guy gives people the creeps and made them uncomfortable. ****.

One picture is enough to believe he makes people uncomfortable. Possibly, a reason the family members won't speak to the police??

So *advertiser censored**ing happy the charges were upped. Through sleuthing, and tracking the one photo we have of Kalen posted through his friend - I discovered I know someone who was at york the same time as him, and was friends with the person who posted the one known pic we have.

They said they knew Kalen but never pursued a friendship and kept their distance because "he made me very uncomfortable". They are currently looking through old photos from that time now to see if he is in any of them. They'll be reaching out to other people to contact the police about their interactions with him.

It looks like the narrative has always been: this guy gives people the creeps and made them uncomfortable. ****.

i spoke with someone who knew him and it was kind of the same.

i don't know how i feel about this development. i think this just makes it all the more depressing.

https://www.cp24.com/news/charge-upgraded-to-first-degree-murder-in-tess-richey-case-1.3852613
The suspect is scheduled to make a court appearance on Thursday.

Richey’s sister and mother took to Twitter on Wednesday to thank police for their work on the case.

“This is the best news we could hope for in this situation. Thank you Toronto Police detectives Ted Lioumanis and Graham Gibson for their tireless efforts in Tess’ case. Their diligence has brought Tess the justice she deserves and, we hold out hope, will continue to get throughout the court process,” Rachel Richey tweeted on Wednesday afternoon.

“Until that time we find strength in our remaining numbers and will continue to honour and remember Tess and the joy and love she brought to so many lives. She was the heart of our family.”

Holy crap, I just heard about this on CP24 this morning. He's set to appear in court for the upgrade today. This means her poor murder was planned and deliberate. To be completely honest, I wasn't necessarily expecting this, even with all the sleuthing and stories. He sounded like a troubled individual, to the point that people who knew him may not have been surprised to learn of his original charge, but to know now that it was specifically planned and deliberate? I'm very curious to know how this unfolded, and what evidence they have or gathered, from his arrest until now.

Me thinks some form of his digital footprint? Something found on his phone, computer, etc? That, or someone came to TPS with more information. Maybe he told someone something concerning beforehand.

Editing to add: I did actually have the thought that he could be a complete misogynist, that his experiences and beliefs formed a complete hatred towards women. Maybe there's evidence to support this now, thus detailing a possible motive.

Holy crap, I just heard about this on CP24 this morning. He's set to appear in court for the upgrade today. This means her poor murder was planned and deliberate. To be completely honest, I wasn't necessarily expecting this, even with all the sleuthing and stories. He sounded like a troubled individual, to the point that people who knew him may not have been surprised to learn of his original charge, but to know now that it was specifically planned and deliberate? I'm very curious to know how this unfolded, and what evidence they have or gathered, from his arrest until now.

Me thinks some form of his digital footprint? Something found on his phone, computer, etc? That, or someone came to TPS with more information. Maybe he told someone something concerning beforehand.
I don't think this was necessarily planned. First degree murder also applies to murder while in the process of another crime such as sexual assault, kidnapping or hijacking. I think he tried to sexually assault her and she sadly died.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

I don't think this was necessarily planned. First degree murder also applies to murder while in the process of another crime such as sexual assault, kidnapping or hijacking. I think he tried to sexually assault her and she sadly died.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk
It's a possibility, but it still means whatever harm he caused her was planned and deliberate, at least in my opinion. It took forethought.

This entire case makes me sick to my stomach. As a woman, it leaves me always watching my back on the streets, it makes fear of meeting a man, getting to know him in a lengthy fashion, and maybe never knowing him at all. This kid is one sick puppy.

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/20...d-for-man-accused-of-killing-tess-richey.html
In some rare cases, he added, a murder that wasn’t planned or deliberate could be elevated from second-degree to first-degree murder if it happens while the accused committed “one of a few enumerated crimes,” including hijacking, sexual assault or forcible confinement.

Either police had evidence that now suggested the murder was planned and deliberate, or that one of the other specific crimes was occurring at the same time
The escalated charge comes as a result of a combination of evidence, including new witness statements, an ongoing review of the video footage from the area that night, and results from the centre of forensic sciences. “I can’t explain to you what took us to the first (degree charge),” Lioumanis said in an interview with the Star Wednesday. “But I’m confident that the evidence I have now has taken us to that, and we’ll put it before the courts.”

“It’s not a one-time, one piece of evidence, that put us over the edge.”

Police have previously said the pair were together “for some time” before Tess was killed, but have not elaborated on what they believe happened. The information is considered evidence.
rbbm.

Upon further thought, I think that if this upgrade to first degree murder was due to sexual assault, it would have happened much sooner. Evidence of sexual assault would have been discovered through the autopsy, in my opinion. TPS is also strongly thanking the public and crediting new witness testimony for this development in evidence.

On the other hand, they do credit the centre of forensic sciences, and state that KS and his family have been uncooperative. Could they have honestly been withholding DNA samples all this time?

Nonetheless, I go back to the fact that evidence of sexual assault would have been found through the autopsy. They connected him to the murder without DNA it seems.

Wth is going on?

Cannot imagine what the new evidence might be or what the community did to help provide it, but wondering if it came down to more cctv footage.
Glad that people came forward with information, nobody should go out for an evening of fun and not return home ever again.
speculation, imo.
http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/man-accused-in-tess-richey-slaying-has-case-put-over
“I’m not going to get into what the new evidence is (but) I’m going to tell you that new evidence presented itself to us,” Det. Ted Lioumanis told reporters following a brief court appearance at which Schlatter’s case was put over until April 23.

“I want to acknowledge the community for that. I want to thank them for that for coming forward.”
Schlatter sported a full beard, was wearing an orange prison jumpsuit, and didn’t make eye contact with the camera during his brief appearance.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cindy88
Back