Found Deceased Canada - Thomas Billings, 22, Vancouver, 25 Nov 2013 - British tourist

How far away is the location of Tom's last known sighting from the location where Matthew Huszar disappeared?

Many visitors to Canada are unprepared for the ruggedness of the wilderness. From Germany alone, there are seven instances (not seven people) of mishaps over the last 30 years. Six of the instances are in the last 10 years. The "buddy system" is more than a swimming rule.

7 instances of Germans going missing in B.C.’s wilderness

7. "June 27, 2012: The body of a hiker was found off a backcountry trail near North Vancouver. The B.C. Coroner’s Service later identified the body as that of exchange student Jasper Houben, aged 22."

http://www2.macleans.ca/2012/07/05/7-instances-of-germans-going-missing-in-b-c-s-wilderness/

Tom is not a victim of "vulnerable tourist". The interview with his father makes it very clear that Tom was well educated, an experienced hiker, and a world traveller. The couch surfing people reported him missing, so they're not likely responsible.

It genuinely sounds like he went hiking and something went wrong.

I'm in BC and just caught a snippet on the local news and think I heard it right ... that Tom's family is taking video of the aerial search and will be posting it to youtube in hopes that the public might be able to zero in on something that could lead to Tom. I recall this being done a few years ago in another case (iirc, it was a pilot friend of Richard Branson's that had gone missing).

Hopefully this technique will generate some info on places to search further.

Not to disparage Tom's temp roommate, but I'm still concerned re the 2 reported sightings on the North Shore and the backpack issue. IF Tom was seen without his backpack at Delaney's, is it because he had it under a table at the café and it simply wasn't noticed (which would then lend credibility to the sighting at Grouse where he supposedly had his backpack). We would then have to conclude that, if his backpack was back at the original couch surfing location on Broadway, so was Tom.

I can't seem to find who reported Tom missing .. whether his temp roommate or his family. Maybe I just missed it or have forgotten. Anyone else have a link to that?

Also, I wonder where his credit cards were last used. Does it show a transaction at Delaney's, or was he using cash? If cash, when/where was it last withdrawn?

Note to self ... must read the links I post ;)

It WAS Tom's host who reported him missing.

Note to self ... must read the links I post ;)

It WAS Tom's host who reported him missing.

It was. He left his backpack there and went for a day hike, and there are computer searches of hiking trails. He didn't return from his day hike and he was reported missing. It's been too long. It sounds like his mother is very distraught and that his father was not crazy about his son's adventures.

He looks really familiar, but I can't work out why. Maybe he reminds me of somebody else.

Yes!! I was thinking that. Even the name Tom Billings got me before I opened the thread. No idea why. He looks so familiar to me :banghead:

I'm in BC and just caught a snippet on the local news and think I heard it right ... that Tom's family is taking video of the aerial search and will be posting it to youtube in hopes that the public might be able to zero in on something that could lead to Tom. I recall this being done a few years ago in another case (iirc, it was a pilot friend of Richard Branson's that had gone missing).

Hopefully this technique will generate some info on places to search further.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/briti...earch-photos-videos-shown-to-public-1.2476706

Help Bring Tom Billings Home: with North Shore Search and Rescue - Northern Creeks, Grouse Mountain - YouTube

Yes!! I was thinking that. Even the name Tom Billings got me before I opened the thread. No idea why. He looks so familiar to me :banghead:

The picture of him smiling big with his head turned a bit to the side and wearing what I believe is a black suit (it's on page 1 of the thread) he looks so familiar….

He must look similar to someone I have seen in a movie or something.

Some news today from the link otto provided above:

Every lead is being looked at and every share has spread the word just a little further. Due to this specific effort, today we received a credible tip from two hikers who may have seen Tom on November 25 in Lynn Headwaters. This tip is a huge help in that it:

1.Allows for official reactivation of the search efforts
2.Gives us a focused search area in which to perform methodical ground and air searches

Prior to this, we were working on a point last seen in Vancouver, with no definite destination, other than some indication he was going hiking on the North Shore and the fact that he was wearing hiking boots. Today, we are hopeful this possible sighting will put us at least into the ballpark. What does this mean for our video and photo search efforts? The current videos are still in the search area, and further videos will be uploaded. So, we are asking for the public to keep looking and watching this site and the social media for further releases.
<bbm>

To give an idea of how difficult a search this is, here is a map of the Lynn Headwaters Regional Park:

http://www.metrovancouver.org/about/maps/Maps/LynnHeadmap.pdf

I'm trying to figure out if Tom, as an experienced hiker, would have chosen the more difficult trails, or as a tourist would have taken one of the easy or intermediate trails. If the time of the sighting at Delaney's is known (presumably sometime after 10:00 am, and not knowing how long he may have stayed at the café or done some local sightseeing) he more than likely would have chosen a trail with a return route that would bring him back out before dark. With that in mind, I think we can eliminate 3 of the 4 "Challenging Routes" (8 to 10+ hours return) and most likely the Norvan Falls route of the "Intermediate Trails" (6 hours return).

The remaining 5 trails are all under 4.5 hours return which would allow them to be completed before dark. Those trails are the green and blue lines on the linked map. It would appear to cut the search area by about half ... nonetheless a difficult search due to the terrain.

ETA: Being from Britain, he also might have been interested in the Baden-Powell trail which goes west off Lynn Valley Road and has a suspension bridge and the Lynn Valley Café. Have searchers enquired at the café wrt any possible sightings?

I would pick Lynn peak if I were the hiker. Although Norvan falls has great reviews.

He didn't sign in at the trailhead? Usually there are log books. Single hikers should always use them. They should also always leave their hiking plans with someone in case of a situation like this. And to hike in an unfamiliar area with no supplies is just stupid. He may have been an avid hiker, but he doesn't sound like a savvy hiker.

I would pick Lynn peak if I were the hiker. Although Norvan falls has great reviews.

He was last seen at 9:00 am in Vancouver, but the actual time he would have left Vancouver to arrive approx. an hour later and be seen at Delaney's on Lynn Valley Rd is unknown. Sunset was at 4:20 pm that day, so I can't see him choosing the lengthier trails that would have kept him out past sunset.

He didn't sign in at the trailhead? Usually there are log books. Single hikers should always use them. They should also always leave their hiking plans with someone in case of a situation like this. And to hike in an unfamiliar area with no supplies is just stupid. He may have been an avid hiker, but he doesn't sound like a savvy hiker.

The media used the term "avid hiker" (so not necessarily "experienced" as the term I used). Regardless of where he is on the scale of abilities, accidents can happen.

If he didn't sign in however, maybe he wasn't there.

Just read through this thread now.

I can't imagine how difficult this must be on his parents! What a horrible holiday season for them...not knowing what happened to their son, off in a foreign country, far from home.

Hoping for a positive outcome!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back