Identified! Canada - Tofield, AB, 'Septic Tank Sam' Ntv/WhtMale 1046UMAB, Apr'77 - Gordon Edwin Sanderson

This missing man from Ontario had polio as a child and is 5'7''.
http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sho...ghlight=guerin
Philippe Guérin, 27, North Bay, Ont, 12 June 1966

I was looking at him too. I think where he went missing was a long way away from STS for someone who wouldnt have lots of mobility/ability to get a ride, so I stopped considering him but maybe its time for another look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't know if this has been mentioned before if so I am sorry but I came across this

http://unidentified.wikia.com/wiki/Septic_Tank_Sam

His body was exhumed in 1979, and a forensic pathologist named Dr. Clyde Snow from Oklahoma was brought in to reconstruct the skull in order to help with identification. Dr. Snow took numerous measurements of his skull and bones, and input the information into a computer program, which indicated that Sam was likely of aboriginal heritage and approximately 35 years old, deputing the original claim by the medical examiner that he had been a 28 year old Caucasian man. DNA samples were taken, and facial reconstructions were posted in various newspapers around the country.

ozoner mentioned William was native American.. it really points to me more like it could of been William no? has he ever been ruled out?

I don't know if this has been mentioned before if so I am sorry but I came across this

http://unidentified.wikia.com/wiki/Septic_Tank_Sam

His body was exhumed in 1979, and a forensic pathologist named Dr. Clyde Snow from Oklahoma was brought in to reconstruct the skull in order to help with identification. Dr. Snow took numerous measurements of his skull and bones, and input the information into a computer program, which indicated that Sam was likely of aboriginal heritage and approximately 35 years old, deputing the original claim by the medical examiner that he had been a 28 year old Caucasian man. DNA samples were taken, and facial reconstructions were posted in various newspapers around the country.

ozoner mentioned William was native American.. it really points to me more like it could of been William no? has he ever been ruled out?
I think I meant that SSS was Native American, but WU looks like he could have been, too.

I think I meant that SSS was Native American, but WU looks like he could have been, too.

oooh got it... my mistake sorry.. I still think William looks a lot like the UID

The more I think about it, the more I think Sam could be William Underhill. The only thing that throws me off is the height as Underhill was known to be very tall. The dental pictures of Sam do look like they could be Underhills teeth from what I can tell from pictures of him smiling!

The thing about the UID male being tied to a bed, tortured and wrapped in a yellow bed sheet, has me wondering about the absolute mess that this would make in somebody's home.
It would be terribly messy to move the body from the crime scene to the ( pun unintended ) dump spot too.
Also, who would have a blowtorch at the ready and did they start some kind of fire if it was used in a home?
The victim's body was wrapped in a yellow bed sheet, not a colour one often sees on a bed, imo. would someone possibly recall anyone who had sheets that colour or sold them?

I don't think we can read too much into the yellow bed sheet. This was the 1970s, don't forget, when the psychodelia of the 1960s hadn't yet completely died away. I was a teen at this date and had orange nylon sheets* on my bed. In fact my room was decorated in orange, yellow and sea green with gold and silver stars on one wall.

* Any other Brits remember Brentford Nylons?

I don't think the blow torch is out of the ordinary either. This was a fairly remote rural area, notwithstanding the settlement being on long distance Highway 14. I suspect people in such areas were much more self-sufficient in those days and probably had all sorts of stuff lying around for doing odd jobs.

https://home.howstuffworks.com/blowtorch5.htm
https://www.popularmechanics.com/ho...ngs-you-didnt-know-you-could-do-with-a-torch/

If the police think he wasn't local, as has been mentioned earlier, they probably ought now to test the isotopes in his teeth. Obviously if he grew up in the same isotope region that he was found in it won't get us any further but if he had drifted in from, for example, Nova Scotia, Quebec or even Alaska that should be readily identifiable.

Has Carl Charles Raun been ruled out?
https://www.services.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/missing-disparus/case-dossier.jsf?case=2014003860&id=7
attachment.php

He was 31 in 1975, so he fits the age, had brown hair and
Mr. Raun had a fused spine, causing him to wear a brace, as well as a scar from back surgery. There is a possibility that Mr. Raun disappeared as a result of foul play, however this has not been confirmed.
No mention of Polio, but he clearly had childhood health problems. He was 5'8 and 163lbs, so he is off by one 1 inch in the height department. He had a weird nickname "GRAVENKJIR", could that be an aboriginal nickname?

Attachments

• 9c5c7fb0b3345c5721888418848b4ce0.jpg
    9c5c7fb0b3345c5721888418848b4ce0.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 247
He had a weird nickname "GRAVENKJIR", could that be an aboriginal nickname?

Sounds more Scandinavian to me.

Graven means the grave or tomb
Kjir doesn't come up in any online dictionaries or searches but would be roughly pronounced as sheer or shuh.

What about William Halverson?
21, brown eyes, black hair, 5 ft 8 in, 161 lb
In my opinion, he looks pretty simmilar. Do any of you have other pictures or Halverson or any more informations about him?
attachment.php

Attachments

• Sam01.jpg
    Sam01.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 258
I think this one would be also be a good case for the DDP, though if it turns out that he was an Indigenous Canadian, it might prove to be tough.

I'm glad for a new post to bring this thread forward - have had a dilemma for a couple of months now.

I have 3 public trees on Ancestry - one dedicated to my children's fathers side of the family. I was contacted a couple of months ago through Ancestry by someone looking for their father. This someone was adopted out at birth by a single mom and had managed to find the birth mom who has scant but some recollection of the father but the surname is a prominent name in the tree. The timing and description knocked me off my chair when I read the message - it had Septic Sam all through it.

I could only reply with a please submit your DNA to LE in charge of this case to see what happens - this person then read about SS and was turned off by various on-line opinions that the murder was possibly due to SS being a pedophile. It was very heartbreaking to me to think someone would take the armchair opinions to such an extreme and possibly not seek to find out any possible relationship. It was left that they would think about it.

Have not heard from this person in a while and have no idea what they did or did not do - my fear in contacting them again anytime soon is they will retreat even further.

Any suggestions are welcome.

Has Carl Charles Raun been ruled out?
Canada's Missing | Case details
attachment.php

He was 31 in 1975, so he fits the age, had brown hair and

No mention of Polio, but he clearly had childhood health problems. He was 5'8 and 163lbs, so he is off by one 1 inch in the height department. He had a weird nickname "GRAVENKJIR", could that be an aboriginal nickname?

Does Raun have a thread on here? I was looking at this man:
Unidentified Person Case

He may have died as early as 1976, he was 5'8", he had a back ailment, and he was found in a US location that would not be inconceivable to get to from Alberta.

I do not want this to be William Underhill but he did have polio as a child
http://www.charleyproject.org/cases/u/underhill_william.html

Since the Charley Project website had some "remodelling" a few months ago, the older links aren't working. And the post I'm replying to is under a year old.

Here's the new address:
William Campbell Underhill (Charley Project profile)
Missing since 3/1/1969 from Minneapolis-St. Paul, MN

If you reach "page not found" when you click on a Charley Project link, try looking them up in "Alphabetical Cases". They're usually still there somewhere.
If you don't find them that way, it may have been that they've actually been found and their profile removed.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
boymom0304
Back