CANADA CANADA/USA - Amund Nielsen Ramsøy, immigrated to US from Norway, Dawson City, Yukon, approx 1928

Sandy Lynn Erickson

Reaction score
I am writing for assistance in finding information about a missing person whose last location was in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada.

Amund Nielsen Ramsøy immigrated to the United States in 1911 at the age of 19.
He was reported missing in 1928. His mother Guri Ramsøy, a widow, spent the next 29 years searching for her son. She passed away in Ramsøy, Norway never being able to locate him.

Amund’s Norwegian Family wants some answers and some closure to the story of his disappearance

Attachments

• 7DD4B6A9-6644-4C3E-A142-54F6A973367A.jpeg
    7DD4B6A9-6644-4C3E-A142-54F6A973367A.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 22
My first thought was - could this be related to the Mad Trapper? Albert Johnson? He was Scandinavian. They believe he was between 35-40 but age can prove tricky and DNA test on those who have come forward to claim him as family proved to not match.

Long shot here - have you already seen this info? It might not be him, but mother is named "Guri":

Amund N Ramsøy

Also this mentions Thief River Falls, Minnesota

Amund Nilsen Ramsøy

Gives us a jumping off place to try!
His mother’s name is Guri and he did stay in Thief River Falls, MN with Tobias Skjerping. He told authorities that he would stay there for three weeks.

My first thought was - could this be related to the Mad Trapper? Albert Johnson? He was Scandinavian. They believe he was between 35-40 but age can prove tricky and DNA test on those who have come forward to claim him as family proved to not match.
Í am going to share this with family. I believe that he was very resourceful and very self-sufficient. His family members were known to be excellent hunters.

Last edited:
Long shot here - have you already seen this info? It might not be him, but mother is named "Guri":

Amund N Ramsøy

Also this mentions Thief River Falls, Minnesota

Amund Nilsen Ramsøy

Gives us a jumping off place to try!

This is Amund N Ramsøy. Yes! It was documented that he was in the following places:
Thief River Falls, MN
Pierre, South Dakota
Sweet Grass, Montana
Seattle, Washington
Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada

I am writing for assistance in finding information about a missing person whose last location was in Dawson City, Yukon Territory, Canada.

He was reported missing in 1928. His mother Guri Ramsøy, a widow, spent the next 29 years searching for her son. She passed away in Ramsøy, Norway never being able to locate him.

Amund’s Norwegian Family wants some answers and some closure to the story of his disappearance

Attachments

• 44DF3C17-3BAC-4E04-95B9-757BD0D8CC77.jpeg
    44DF3C17-3BAC-4E04-95B9-757BD0D8CC77.jpeg
    129.7 KB · Views: 14
  • A97BB925-906A-4337-9A90-E9E71B04F871.jpeg
    A97BB925-906A-4337-9A90-E9E71B04F871.jpeg
    100.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 714EB986-8D86-4A25-B198-5901E5BB23BC.jpeg
    714EB986-8D86-4A25-B198-5901E5BB23BC.jpeg
    112.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 976A7AAC-1270-4C10-97D4-6AE7E48CCC93.jpeg
    976A7AAC-1270-4C10-97D4-6AE7E48CCC93.jpeg
    78.5 KB · Views: 8
He may have been a farm laborer in Brooks, Alberta.
Light Complexion
Freckled Nose
Blue Eyes
Red Hair
6’ 1”
Mentions Thief River Falls, MN
Sweet Grass, Montana
W.S Tobias [Uncle - Tobias Skjerping]

Í am going to share this with family. I believe that he was very resourceful and very self-sufficient. His family members were known to be excellent hunters.

Sandy, the man known as Albert Johnson was killed in the Northwest Territories. I'm posting a link from DNASolves which is Othram Labs' press page. They are working with Alberta's Chief Medical Examiner in trying to ID this man. The family of Mr. Ramsey could submit DNA or a test kit, if they've already done one, to this company.
Who is the Mad Trapper of Rat River?

I have to be honest:
I am crying for Guri Hegg Skjerping Ramsøy
as we get replies on the Disappearance of Amund Nielsen Ramsøy

‘Chin up’, she says.

This is the beginning of the end of our search
for Amund Nielsen Ramsøy.

100 years since Amund Nielsen Ramsøy’s Disappearance and the feelings associated with that event in history bring a flood of tears to my eyes.

I had never met Guri as she is a cousin of my great-grandfather T P Hegg.

My feelings regarding her experience are still
profoundly intense as I know of the details of the event that eventually lead to Amund Nielsen Ramsøy’s disappearance.

Amund emmigrated from Norway in 1911. His father was injured and succumbed to injuries in a shipping accident in 1914. Letters continued to be exchanged by mother, Guri, and son, Amund, until 1919 when Amund sought entry in to Canada and worked on a farm in Brooks, Canada. Contact with the red coats was documented in 1923 as Amund entered the MacKenzie District near Dawson City, YT, Canada. I am waiting for documents to verify Amund Nielson Ramsøy’s location in 1928.

The last letters arrived in 1928.

Hi @Sandy Lynn Erickson, I've been looking into your Amund today & while I haven't tracked him down I'm confident that the gentleman you were hoping was him during the 1920 and 1940 is not your Amund. I've included links to the Ancestry.ca records in a "free sharing link". You shouldn't need an account (free or paid) to access them.
  1. While he did list his immigration year as 1911 he was inNorton, Walsh, North Dakota during the 1910 census, and your Amund really did immigrate in 1911. AR***ND Nelson discovered in 1910 United States Federal Census
  2. He married Annie Gurine Erickson in 1913 in Sargent, North Dakota when we know that your Armund was still single in 1919 when he crossed from Brooks, Alberta to the USA. Amund Nelson discovered in U.S., Evangelical Lutheran Church in America Church Records, 1781-1969
  3. During the WWII draft his DOB was listed as 15 Oct 1890 (same spouse and location as the 1920 and 1940 census) Amund Nelson discovered in U.S., World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942
  4. When he died in 1985 in Wilhalla, Pembina, North Dakota (age 94) his parents were recorded as Nels and Dena Peterson (same DOB 15 Oct 1890) Amund Nelson discovered in North Dakota, U.S., State Death Certificates, 1908-2007
There is a death record for an Amund A Ramsey on 18 Apr 1958 in Grant, South Dakota (certificate 303703, page 334), but there is no information about his age, and I can't find any information about where he may have lived prior to 1958, so I think this is a long shot.

I created a profile for him on Familysearch, and hopefully someone will be able to join in and contribute more. This page is public facing (no login required) but feel free to login and make changes to it. If you're not already a member, it's a free genealogy site (completely free).
FamilySearch.org

And also a profile on wikitree which has a slightly different user base and may attract different leads. Amund (Nilssen) Ramso (1892-aft.1928) | WikiTree FREE Family Tree

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kenzo2011
Back