CANADA Canada - Valerie Leblanc, 18, Gatineau QC, 23 Aug 2011

He was wearing a cap and had his head down so it was hard to create a composite sketch. He was seen around the scene but he may have been seen around the area or around the college. Be careful and walk with other people, call police or 911.

Investigation is progressing and police are receiving more info from the public.

It didn't seem like it was over yet.

- no charges for three of them.

- who burned the body? the main witness or the murderer? LE is not sure yet

- Reporter asked if they are also in contact with the NCC (National Capital Commission). They got no specific answer regarding this question, but I do imagine they are (JMHO).

- Gatineau police are in contact with the Ottawa Police, the RCMP, the OPP and the Montreal Police.

CBC article is now being updated with new information from the Press Release:
Gatineau police have released a description of a key witness that could assist the investigation into the death of Valerie Leblanc, 18.

They would not rule out the male witness as a suspect.
WOW!!! To me this is shocking, but could explain WHY the group of 4 didn't call LE immediately. I had thought of this possibility, that the one responsible could have wanted to go back to 'disturb' the crime scene, and to 'explain' why his DNA was at the crime scene (all just my theory) -- it is just so incredible that Valerie would have been so unlucky, that only in a matter of hours, she would have met her killer and then 4 people who would tamper with her body :maddening:
ALL JUST MY OPINION

ETA: I just re-read the article, and realized that they are calling "the witness" the person that was seen around the area, the one whose 'description' we've been given. I mistakenly thought by "witness" they meant one of the four people who first found Valerie's body. My apologies :/

Gatineau police released a detailed description Thursday of a key witness in the investigation of the death of Valerie Leblanc, 18.
link : CBC

The witness is described as:
  • a white man in his 20s
  • about six-feet-tall and 200 pounds
  • a chubby face, with short black hair
  • no facial hair
  • a tall, chubby build
  • had a summer tan "with a particular olive complexion."
The witness was wearing:
  • an open black, nylon jacket
  • a black T-shirt with a red and golden logo
  • a black cap
  • black wrinkled pants.

• He was walking decisively and looked worried.

• The man also left the scene on a black mountain bike.

• Police say there is not enough information for a sketch because the man had his head down, looking at the ground.

Lanthier said it was “hard to say” whether the man is dangerous.

The two officers warned people, especially women, to take precautions while walking in woods near the crime scene. They advised people to bring a whistle and a cellphone and tell someone where they’re going.

“Be careful, because the investigation is not over yet. Walk with somebody else, do not walk alone. If you see something, don’t hesitate to call the police force, 911. They’ll take it seriously,” Lanthier said.

Read more: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/Gatine...EGEP+student/5339117/story.html#ixzz1WjJIDt9k

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/local/article/958479--someone-knows-what-happened

I am wondering what is meant by "particular" ?

"He also has “a summer tan, with a particular olive complexion.”

Do they mean a specific ethnicity, or - that the person may have an odd orangey colour, sometimes associated with suntan salons, or"spray on tan"?

Also thinking how this man at first was walking decisively but later looking worried.Thinking of a recent case of someone getting knocked down and killed by a bike, I wondered if something like that happened and from there- well who could explain that.

"The man was walking a mountain bike “decisively” between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. with his head down. The bike had big tires and a straight handlebar."

http://www.metronews.ca/ottawa/local/article/958479--someone-knows-what-happened

I am wondering what is meant by "particular" ?

"He also has “a summer tan, with a particular olive complexion.”

Do they mean a specific ethnicity, or - that the person may have an odd orangey colour, sometimes associated with suntan salons, or"spray on tan"?

Also thinking how this man at first was walking decisively but later looking worried.Thinking of a recent case of someone getting knocked down and killed by a bike, I wondered if something like that happened and from there- well who could explain that.

"The man was walking a mountain bike “decisively” between 8 a.m. and 1 p.m. with his head down. The bike had big tires and a straight handlebar."
good points dotr. In one article he was described as 'white' with a summer tan, but then they add with a "particular olive complexion". In a few missing cases, I have noticed the missing person described as 'white' when it was clear (to me at least), that the person was either hispanic/latino (as in native), or 'mixed'. In this case the 'key witness' is described to have a pointy nose and pointy chin...IMO that sounds more like aran/indian? I see why LE are having a hard time doing a composite sketch.

Something else I have been wondering about is why was he walking his bike instead of fleeing the scene quickly riding it? Was he too shaky to ride it? Was he hurt? Was there something wrong with the bike? or did he think he will call less attention to himself by just walking alongside it? was he seen at any point in time riding the bike?

good points dotr. In one article he was described as 'white' with a summer tan, but then they add with a "particular olive complexion". In a few missing cases, I have noticed the missing person described as 'white' when it was clear (to me at least), that the person was either hispanic/latino (as in native), or 'mixed'. In this case the 'key witness' is described to have a pointy nose and pointy chin...IMO that sounds more like aran/indian? I see why LE are having a hard time doing a composite sketch.

Something else I have been wondering about is why was he walking his bike instead of fleeing the scene quickly riding it? Was he too shaky to ride it? Was he hurt? Was there something wrong with the bike? or did he think he will call less attention to himself by just walking alongside it? was he seen at any point in time riding the bike?

I get a different sense of the"witness" from this link.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...blanc_witness_110901/20110901/?hub=OttawaHome
Police said they're looking for a "worried" looking man wheeling his black mountain bike away "with a decisive pace" from where Leblanc's burned, beaten body was found behind her Gatineau school Aug. 23.

They said they don't know whether this man could be a suspect in the murder.

He is described as a white man with black hair, about six feet tall and 200 pounds with a chubby face, pointy nose and pointy chin.

He was wearing a black jacket, black t-shirt with a red or golden logo and black, wrinkled pants.

He had an olive complexion, was described as tanned and had a strong but not athletic build.

He had a black hat pulled over his face with his head down, so police said there isn't enough information to release a sketch with what they have now.

The description was put together from multiple tips from the scene and over the hotline set up by Gatineau police.

I get a different sense of the"witness" from this link.

http://ottawa.ctv.ca/servlet/an/loc...blanc_witness_110901/20110901/?hub=OttawaHome
He is described as a white man with black hair, about six feet tall and 200 pounds with a chubby face, pointy nose and pointy chin.

He had an olive complexion, was described as tanned and had a strong but not athletic build.
RSBM
My point exactly. Description varies a bit from different news outlets.
I wish we could watch the Press Release again, and do a literal transcript of what the LE said.
Also IMO there could be a slight problem with translation. Perhaps it would be a good idea to see how the articles in French are describing the "key witness"??

In this other article there is no mention of 'olive complexion' nor 'tanned' nor 'white'.
Based on the combined accounts police say they are looking for a man that fits the following description:

- He is in his 20's who is about 6 feet tall, weighing 200 pounds with a strong build but not athletic.

- The man has a chubby face, pointed nose and chin and has black hair that is probably short.

- He was wearing a black baseball cap and looking down at the time so few witnesses saw his face.

- He was also wearing a black coat, a black t-shirt with a red and gold logo, and black rippled pants.

- He also had an attitude qualified as worrying and walked with purpose.

Witnesses also say he had a mountain bike with big tires and flat handle bars that he walked alongside of.

At the same time, I find it interesting that LE are not asking for the "witness" to come forward with info, but instead asking for anyone who might recognize him, so I find it 'odd' that he is being referred to as a 'witness', IYKWIM.
Still they are releasing a description and ask that anyone who may know this person come forward.
http://www.1310news.com/news/local/article/272748--gatineau-police-seek-essential-witness-in-leblanc-murder

Almost sounds like a composite of the person LE is searching for in the Margarita S. thread...

This is an unrelated case, which happened last night. Not the same area, but not that far, on the other side of the river.
<snips>
A woman's body was found in a parking lot at King Edward Avenue and George Street at 2:50 a.m. Friday, according to Ottawa Police.

Crews appeared to be focusing their search on a bit of brush between the fence and the Ottawa Hydro Electric building next door.

Alain Pratte works across the street and when he arrived at 6 am he could not see the body.

"It seems like it's behind the fence," he said. "Photographers were taking pictures behind the fence and up on the roof looking down."

A bicycle and a back pack were on the scene hidden behind the SUV but it's not clear how they got there or if they are related.
http://www.1310news.com/news/local/article/273078--ottawa-police-investigating-suspicious-death

Almost sounds like a composite of the person LE is searching for in the Margarita S. thread...
I imagined the 'witness' totally different. I have this mental view of either a 'couch potato' who spends hours playing video games, hence the 'belly' and the non-athletic description, plus he was not even riding the bike. Or someone who drinks lots of beer (belly again).
Babak is too old, and I don't think anyone would describe him as 'white'.
Am having a hard time putting together a chubby face, with pointy chin and nose.

I'd like to listen to the description again in French to get what they said. They did their own translation/interpreting into English and some of it may have been literal e.g. the worrying look and decisive walk. I did listen to both but I was interrupted and I didn't have headphones on. They did mention the olive complexion in french and also that it looked like he had a tan from spending time outdoors. The first descriptor they gave of this person was 'white male' so I think they mean he's white with a darker complexion. They emphasized his large mountain bike tires when they mentioned it too. I found that odd and also that he walked beside his bike in a decisive way which may mean in a straight forward focused way. I wasn't sure about the attitude part which was described as worrying. Was that the way people responded to his presence or was that the affect he had at the time. Maybe he had a frown or upset face.

I imagined the 'witness' totally different. I have this mental view of either a 'couch potato' who spends hours playing video games, hence the 'belly' and the non-athletic description, plus he was not even riding the bike. Or someone who drinks lots of beer (belly again).
Babak is too old, and I don't think anyone would describe him as 'white'.
Am having a hard time putting together a chubby face, with pointy chin and nose.

I agree with Hazel, I should have clarified that I meant those kind of features (chubbiness(pot belly ect.),pudgy face, but with sharp features, short black hair ect....but caucasion and younger.
I hope that there might be cameras somewhere in the area just to get an idea of who might have been around that day.Who knows- with some luck a news/weather helicopter might have passed by and taken photos of the landscape below.

Have we heard anything about Valerie's cellphone? Was it found?
The article I posted (post No. 7) , regarding her cellphone has been totally changed.
Luckily was able to find that article in another news format (link below)
The first hint Valerie Leblanc&#8217;s family had that something awful had happened was when the teen&#8217;s backpack was found Tuesday near the trail where her burned and battered body was later discovered.

The bag, found by a cleaner in a field behind the CEGEP de l&#8217;Outaouais, contained contact info for Leblanc&#8217;s family.

When Huguette Leblanc &#8212; Valerie&#8217;s grandmother &#8212; met the man to collect the bag, she realized the only thing Leblanc had on her was her cellphone, so she went down to the trail.
more: http://m.ottawasun.com/2011/08/23/gatineau-cops-probe-suspicious-death?noimage

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie
Back