GUILTY Canada - Vicky Shachtay, 23, paraplegic, killed by bomb, Innisfail, AB, 25 Nov 2011

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2011/12/09/19103716.html
CALGARY — There's forgiveness within a man whose stepdaughter was killed by an exploding package left on her doorstep in Innisfail, Alta., but he wants to know why.

Rick Bercier told QMI Agency he cannot understand how someone could do that to another person.

"I'm a man of faith, so I'm not going to harbour any bitter feelings or ill will," he said.

"I just want to know why.

"I've already forgiven this person in my heart. I have to, to move forward."

That's some quick forgiveness right there, considering they don't even know who did it.

That's some quick forgiveness right there, considering they don't even know who did it.

ITA. I felt like saying don't let that door to hit you in the butt on your way to moving forward.

Does anyone know who benefits financially From Vicky's death?

ITA. I felt like saying don't let that door to hit you in the butt on your way to moving forward.

Does anyone know who benefits financially From Vicky's death?

Things to consider:

- There may have been a substantial settlement wrt the accident that caused Vicky's injuries

- She may have been a beneficiary of a LWT subsequent to her mom's death (were there others who were not included in that LWT who may have felt slighted)

- If either of the above scenarios, she may have had her own LWT drawn up as a result of receiving substantial monies.

http://www.ipolitics.ca/2012/01/04/canada-extremely-lucky-to-face-few-bomb-threats-attacks-rcmp/
"Since 9/11 and the subsequent series of anthrax attacks and scares in the U.S. and Canada, officers have been increasingly prepared to deal with chemical, biological, radiological and nuclear threats in addition to more traditional explosive devices.

There have been high-profile cases in Canada in the past decade, including the Toronto 18, which plotted in 2006 to cause catastrophic physical and economic damage by storming Parliament Hill and detonate truck bombs in Toronto.

This past November, an Alberta woman was killed by a letter bomb. Vicky Shachtay, a 23-year-old wheelchair-confined mother and church volunteer, was killed inside her home when a hand-delivered package exploded. RCMP investigators believe it to be a targeted murder, but the case remains under investigation"

Bump for Victoria.

How can it be that a young, disabled mother gets blown to smithereens in Canada and there are no updates or at least a snippet about an ongoing investigation?

Still no arrests in this case?? I have looked but the latest article I can find is the one posted above. So sad for her family.

BUMP FOR VICKY !!

This case is ominously quiet for such a horrible crime. Why no info ??

Good progress by LE today was announced:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/05/27/calgary-innisfail-explosion-mother.html

A Brian Malley, 55, of Innisfail has been arrested. He was in the financial services industry. Raises a few questions of possible motives. Was he a person related to the accident that crippled her? Or perhaps embezzling her as in finance, might have been her investment advisor? Murder for embezzlement or revenge?

In any case, cudos to LE for making real progress here. It helps for the family to put closure and get the criminals, and appreciated as I am sure this took a lot of time and effort.

Should be more announcements Monday as Brian Malley is scheduled to appear on Monday.

Oh wow, the suspect was her financial advisor and seems like he was embezzling her settlement from the accident that paralyzed her, as dmander suggested. He was best friends with her stepfather too, according to the CBC.

"She started getting suspicious when all her money was gone and she was supposed to be living off the interest of the investment and she was broke all of a sudden and she hadn't spent all that much," Sarah said.
Shachtay began asking Malley more questions about her portfolio, Sarah said.

"So that's probbaly what did it," she said.
Murder by explosive package? He was a former Mountie too, according to the victim's sister. Did he deliver the package himself or did he risk it and send it with another person to establish an alibi for himself?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/story/2012/05/27/calgary-innisfail-explosion-mother.html

the article says he was her investment advisor and a former mountie! :gasp:

CTV just reported that the suspect was at her funeral. :(

the article says he was her investment advisor and a former mountie! :gasp:

The article was subsequently corrected LadyL ... not former RCMP, but a municipal force that hasn't been disclosed as yet.

In Alberta, most towns and Municipalities have Sherriff's, Peace Officer's and Bylaw Officer's in addition to RCMP and City/Town detachments. He may have been in one of those categories. Not that it makes a big difference. MOO

So very sad all around.

It sounds like it was all about money. I guess the accused, a friend of the family, managed the financial settlement from her accident (that left her in a wheelchair). I get he impression he either spent, or poorly managed, the money and in order to cover that financial mess, he decided to blow her up. I suspect that he intended to kill her daughter as well ... as the daughter would stand to inherit the bulk of the financial settlement.

As a former officer, he probably thought he had it all figured out ... not realizing that someone would follow the money trail. The guy should rot in jail for thinking he could hide his crimes by blowing up a wheelchair bound single mother.

Malley was a "peace officer"

It sounds like it was all about money. I guess the accused, a friend of the family, managed the financial settlement from her accident (that left her in a wheelchair). I get he impression he either spent, or poorly managed, the money and in order to cover that financial mess, he decided to blow her up. I suspect that he intended to kill her daughter as well ... as the daughter would stand to inherit the bulk of the financial settlement.

As a former officer, he probably thought he had it all figured out ... not realizing that someone would follow the money trail. The guy should rot in jail for thinking he could hide his crimes by blowing up a wheelchair bound single mother.

Malley was a "peace officer"

This " officer" should have at least been smart enough to know that one of the main things LE would investigate would be the money trail.

I'd like to know whether he built the device and delivered it, or hired someone to do both for him.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
woohoo3
Back