Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

I read the same. My own speculation is that, out of an abundance of caution, the boy is in care of his paternal grandparents / relatives / etc such that LE can assess any claims of DV against his father in addition to whatever caused his mother to leave Canada with him.

This leaves the child (presumably) in the care of relatives he knows / feels safe and comfortable with, while allowing LE to untangle any kind of custody dispute.

Quite likely he is released to the custody of his father soon, but this is a cautious intermediate step IMO
It was reported that the father drove to Oregon on Friday to pick up his son.

Although Dawn Walker has filed complaints of domestic violence with police against a former partner, and police have investigated those complaints, there have been no charges against the father. Those complaints are closed.

There would be no reason to re-investigate the father (if he is indeed the subject of the complaint) after Dawn abducted his child and transported that child to a foreign country. The father is one of the two legal guardians of the child.

"U.S. agency representatives in consultation with the SPS are currently working out the details of returning Vincent Jansen to a legal guardian."

There doesn't appear to be anything to untangle regarding custody. The father clearly has shared custody rights, which is why Dawn could not legally move to another city with the child. She could leave anytime, the child had to remain in Saskatoon.

What should happen, to protect the child from further abduction and potential psychological harm, is that the father is given sole custody and the mother is given supervised visitation at some point in the future.

We all know how seriously Saskatchewan takes DV victims over and over again. They fail women.

Her ex is remarried and has a daughter. How many years ago was it that D and he were a couple? How could DV be occurring when there only interaction was drop offs of their mutual son? It’s not as if she was fleeing for her life from an existing abusive relationship, her ex had already moved on.

Without knowing anything more it appears to me she wanted sole custody while the child’s father intended to remain a constant presence in this life. How often do we hear of the damage caused to children by fathers who totally abandon their parenting obligations?

FSIN says they are concerned about the child "Chief Richard Stonechild of Okanese First Nation said: “The leadership of Okanese First Nation has become aware of significant child welfare concerns regarding our young band member Vincent Jansen. We are responsible for all of our citizens, regardless of their residency, and care and custody status.” DV is always just physical so we really don't know.

FSIN says they are concerned about the child "Chief Richard Stonechild of Okanese First Nation said: “The leadership of Okanese First Nation has become aware of significant child welfare concerns regarding our young band member Vincent Jansen. We are responsible for all of our citizens, regardless of their residency, and care and custody status.” DV is always just physical so we really don't know.

FSIN is certainly not responsible for the boy’s custody status nor are they a neutral party. Considering DW acts as the organizations Executive Operating Officer with part of their focus on missing and murdered aboriginal woman, it appears they’ve chosen to support her fraudulent disappearing act regardless.

The relationship between Dawn Walker and the child's father ended 4 years ago. The father is married and has a child that appears to be around 2 years old (based on photos from the missing child's webpage).

I have to agree that @MistyWaters that the only contact the parents should have relates to transferring the child. Sadly, we know that Walker is uncooperative regarding joint custody (evidenced by her abduction of the child).

It's very odd that Walker's employer wants to get involved in the custody dispute. It sounds like the allegations have shifted from "domestic abuse" (when the disappearance was staged) to "child neglect" (after the child is found).

I hope that the employer has factual evidence to support their claims. Seems like dangerous territory for the The Federation of Sovereign Indigenous Nations (FSIN) to assert that the father and his family are harming the child, and to threaten to intervene.

“The leadership of Okanese First Nation has become aware of significant child welfare concerns regarding our young band member Vincent Jansen," said Stonechild in a prepared statement. "We are responsible for all of our citizens, regardless of their residency, and care and custody status."

He said under the First Nation's inherent and Treaty Rights it can intervene when an under-age band members' safety is at risk.

"We will assert our self-determination and jurisdiction to ensure all measures are taken," continued Stonechild."

It looks like Dawn Walker, aka Dawn Dumont, is Metis.

"Canada English rights to Cree and Metis comedian and writer Dawn Dumont’s THE TOUR, a hilarious retelling loosely based on the true story of a group of First Nation dancers that left Saskatchewan and toured through Europe in the early 1970s, perfect for fans of David Sedaris, to Deborah Willis at Freehand Books by Stephanie Sinclair at Transatlantic Agency."

The father's child is not Indigenous. I'm curious - is the child of Metis and non-Indigenous parents Metis? Does it depend on percentages?

The Tour was written prior to Feb 2020.

Looks like it was re-released under a different title The Prairie Chicken Dance Tour in 2021.

Interesting. I'm curious whether books considered for the Stephen Leacock Literary Humour Award have to be written in the previous year, or can be written at any time in the past.

Quote below from link above. I’m curious why the Okanese First Nation didn’t exercise it’s responsibility prior to DW staging her disappearance and that of her child. Instead she’s now in a hot mess of legal trouble which may negatively impede her future custody arrangements.

”The leadership of Okanese First Nation has become aware of significant child welfare concerns regarding our young band member Vincent Jansen," said Stonechild in a prepared statement. "We are responsible for all of our citizens, regardless of their residency, and care and custody status."

Made me angry all over again!
This doesn't sit well with me. Based on the staged scene (hoax), there were accusations against an unnamed former partner regarding domestic violence. I suppose we were supposed to think that Dawn was a victim of a former partner. After the missing child was located, those accusations have been replaced with accusations against an unnamed person of child neglect. What are we supposed to think at this point? The domestic violence accusations suited Dawn's employer when the scene looked like a kidnapping, but now that it is a child abduction case the accusations suit the new information? It starts to sound like nonsense.

July 26 Staged Scene: kidnapping or drowning

"Walker has experienced domestic violence, FSIN Vice-Chief Heather Bear says. However, Bear declines to make any allegations." link

August 5 Abducted Child Located

“The leadership of Okanese First Nation has become aware of significant child welfare concerns regarding our young band member Vincent Jansen," said Stonechild in a prepared statement." link

She has a law degree. She's bright enough to know how her actions would be interpreted.

She wanted sole custody of the child so she could live in Ottawa or Victoria. She probably thought that she had better job opportunities in those places. After being told three times that she could do whatever she wanted, but the child would remain in Saskatoon, it looks like she decided to do what she wanted anyway. She probably believed that she could restart life again.

She published under the name Dawn Dumont. She was arrested under the name Dawn Walker. Perhaps she had a plan using a different name.

Of course people would look at what she was willing to throw away and conclude that there's no way that she abducted the child and fled to a foreign country. That is very likely what she wanted people to see. The abandoned blanket by the river, fishing rod, purse, truck, instant allegations of abusive former partner, close affiliation with missing/murdered Indigenous women ... all a ruse.

View attachment 358042

She sounds very successful and well-educated. But one's Intelligence Quotient does not necessarily equal one's Emotional Quotient.

Just a possibility ..... perhaps the son has told his mum that he is witnessing (unreported) DV in his father's home.
No reports indicate that was the case….”historical“ would appear to me to indicate a history of numerous reports alleging DW was the victim.

FSIN Vice Chief Heather Bear has said Walker previously experienced domestic violence. Saskatoon police confirmed they have historical reports of domestic violence allegations involving her.

Consideration is being given to previous contact that Saskatoon police has had with Dawn,” Obst said, though he declined to specify or offer any updates….”

No reports indicate that was the case….”historical“ would appear to me to indicate a history of numerous reports alleging DW was the victim.

“FSIN Vice Chief Heather Bear has said Walker previously experienced domestic violence. Saskatoon police confirmed they have historical reports of domestic violence allegations involving her.

Consideration is being given to previous contact that Saskatoon police has had with Dawn,” Obst said, though he declined to specify or offer any updates….”

Well, if something unreported has been going on the police are not going to know about it. There are volatile home situations that go unreported and denied due to a fear factor. imo

It is just a suggestion, as we have all heard of cases where mothers feel they have no recourse but to flee with their child. Because the courts have no proof of allegations and keep child arrangements as they are.

I find this whole situation really puzzling. Everyone (especially her ... a lawyer) knows that the Hague Convention means there are no international borders where child custody is concerned.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zorba347
Back