Canada - Dawn Dumont Walker, 48, accused of abducting her son and faking their deaths, Saskatoon, 23 Jul 2022

After reading several recent articles about Indigenous groups' earnest efforts to have Dawn Walker (Dawn Dumont) returned to Canada, my impression is that the goal is to have the USA homeland security (false passport) charges dropped and forgotten. They want the charges reduced to mischief (faking death of a child) and custody violation. Homeland Security charges, if found guilty, are mandatory 2 years in prison. Mischief and custody violation in Canada probably mean probation and reduced contact with the child.

If Walker is returned to Canada, there should be new charges related to identity theft. I suspect that new charges would result in more complaints from the Indigenous groups - claiming that Walker is a helpless victim of 2022 Canadian genocide of Indigenous women and children - as that is how it is presented today by her supporters.

August 18 2022
''A hearing was previously scheduled for Aug. 10, but was stricken at Walker’s request, according to her electronic court file. That meant the U.S. government’s request for her pretrial detention was granted; the government sought her detention on the grounds that she is believed to be a serious flight risk.

The motion claimed “no condition or combination of conditions” would reasonably ensure her appearance in court, based on an allegation that she used aliases and “multiple and false identifiers,” as well as outstanding warrants. The motion document was filed on Aug. 8.''

''An arraignment hearing is also scheduled in a Portland courtroom on Sept. 7.''

Outstanding warrants? I wonder what that is about. Can we assume that the warrants are from the USA rather than Canada? Canadian warrants would have been dealt with since she was easy to find in Canada.

I just realized that the child was with his father on Friday, July 22 (the day he was abducted), he visited his mother at 6 PM that evening, and he had to be returned to his father on Monday, July 25. That almost sounds like she had weekend visitation while the child spent most of the time with his father.

"An affidavit from Clinton Lindsly, a special agent with Homeland Security, says Walker and her son’s biological father had been engaged in a lengthy custody dispute and she was supposed to return the boy on July 25." (link)

The more I read that Dawn Walker was "supposed to return the boy" to his father, the more I lean towards the father having primary custody of the child. That makes more sense regarding faking the child's death.

I originally thought that Walker objected to the child visiting his father, but if the child was living with his father, visiting the mother for the weekend, and had to be returned to the father on Monday, Walker was objecting to equal shared custody or the father having primary custody.

That might explain why the custody dispute was protracted and complicated. If Walker did not want shared custody, and sought sole custody, I suppose outside parties would have looked at the two parents and determined which was better able to provide a stable home for the child.

This is not a case of Indigenous women versus non-Indigenous men, but more likely a question of which parent could provide a stable, healthy home environment for the child. Earlier instances where Walker tried to take the child to Victoria and Ottawa would have worked against her in a custody application, as it violates the best interests of the child to have access to both parents.

“I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men.” (link)

Dawn Dumont, aka Dawn Walker, made four attempts in four years to start a new life in Ottawa, Victoria, and the USA. With each attempt, she sought to violate child custody law. Dawn Dumont was always safe. Her 7 year old son, whose identity she tried to erase, was not safe.

And what's this about fundraisers for Dawn Walker after she transferred $70k in hidden funds to a to fraudulent bank account? There was $100k in the account. Dawn Walker does not need money ... so why are people associated with Dawn Walker's community asking for money?
I think that the "attempts" to relocate were court hearings, where Walker petitioned the court for permission to relocate herself and her child to Ottawa and Victoria. (Similiar to what is done in most of the U.S.)
If there were actual attempts to leave and violate the law, she wouldn't have had unsupervised residential time with her son. Also, during the summer, parenting plans usually change and it's hard to tell who has the most residential time throughout the year and during school. It well might be a near 50/50 residential time for each parent. I don't know about Canada but where I live the courts are using the term "shared custody", even if it is not 50/50 residential time. My daughter cannot even move out of her child's school district without permission from the court. She can't even move to the next town and promise to keep the child in the same school.

I don't see her doing all this for no reason - maybe she was being just selfish, but we don't know. She had to know they would follow the money, cell phones etc.
Unfortunately some people who do want to disappear do a very good job doing it and can allude authorities. It is very sad because it casts doubt on legitimate missing persons. And as a society we should all be concerned with that because a legitimate missing person situation can happen to anyone. Although in Dawn's case IDK what the details are but it was elaborate in the way it occurred so I'm sure something would have given her away to LE & it begins to unravel. I still think if there was an actual problem in her life with DV she could have told someone whom she trusted and gotten help that way but she chose to do something else. She wasn't an individual who doesn't have resources and contacts who are have clout politically which can go a long way to keep her and her son safe. But she chose something else and I can think of perhaps a spiteful angle to it from her perspective IMO I wouldn't be surprised at all if that may be an element to this whole staged disappearance.

After reading several recent articles about Indigenous groups' earnest efforts to have Dawn Walker (Dawn Dumont) returned to Canada, my impression is that the goal is to have the USA homeland security (false passport) charges dropped and forgotten. They want the charges reduced to mischief (faking death of a child) and custody violation. Homeland Security charges, if found guilty, are mandatory 2 years in prison. Mischief and custody violation in Canada probably mean probation and reduced contact with the child.

If Walker is returned to Canada, there should be new charges related to identity theft. I suspect that new charges would result in more complaints from the Indigenous groups - claiming that Walker is a helpless victim of 2022 Canadian genocide of Indigenous women and children - as that is how it is presented today by her supporters.

As I said in an earlier post political clout goes a long way. So perhaps the charges will be lowered to "Mischef." But for me an aggrivating factor here is that her staged disappearance with her child takes away from legitimate missing persons cases, sadly. It just helps cast doubt on the other legitimate ones. That should not be understated here.

The more I read that Dawn Walker was "supposed to return the boy" to his father, the more I lean towards the father having primary custody of the child. That makes more sense regarding faking the child's death.

I originally thought that Walker objected to the child visiting his father, but if the child was living with his father, visiting the mother for the weekend, and had to be returned to the father on Monday, Walker was objecting to equal shared custody or the father having primary custody.

That might explain why the custody dispute was protracted and complicated. If Walker did not want shared custody, and sought sole custody, I suppose outside parties would have looked at the two parents and determined which was better able to provide a stable home for the child.

This is not a case of Indigenous women versus non-Indigenous men, but more likely a question of which parent could provide a stable, healthy home environment for the child. Earlier instances where Walker tried to take the child to Victoria and Ottawa would have worked against her in a custody application, as it violates the best interests of the child to have access to both parents.

“I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men.” (link)

“I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men."

I am wondering if that ^^^ is really the case in her situation?

She is accusing her ex of recent physical assaults upon her, and of abusing their young son.

The police said they investigated the accusations and found no evidence to support them.

I am not sure I am believing her story about the recent abuse.

I think that the "attempts" to relocate were court hearings, where Walker petitioned the court for permission to relocate herself and her child to Ottawa and Victoria. (Similiar to what is done in most of the U.S.)
If there were actual attempts to leave and violate the law, she wouldn't have had unsupervised residential time with her son. Also, during the summer, parenting plans usually change and it's hard to tell who has the most residential time throughout the year and during school. It well might be a near 50/50 residential time for each parent. I don't know about Canada but where I live the courts are using the term "shared custody", even if it is not 50/50 residential time. My daughter cannot even move out of her child's school district without permission from the court. She can't even move to the next town and promise to keep the child in the same school.
Most divorces, where there are children, end with joint custody. That does not mean a 50-50 split with time, but rather that all major decisions are made with joint input from both parents. It also means that neither parent can deprive the child of access to the other parent.

The only way that Dawn Walker could move to another city with the child is with agreement from the other parent, or if she had sole custody. If the other parent refused to allow Walker to move away with the child, then she would fight for sole custody. That could explain why there was a 4 year custody battle. It's not unusual for acrimonious custody battles to include false allegations.

Dawn Walker alleges domestic violence. It is important to remember that Walker's relationship with the child's father ended 4 years ago. The child's father has since married and has a toddler daughter.

All allegations of domestic violence have been thoroughly investigated (per police) and there's nothing to it. What I want to know is when exactly did this domestic violence occur? Walker gives the impression that it happened just prior to the abduction. However, we know that the father has not been involved with Walker for 4 years, other than to transfer care of the child, and we know that Walker picked up the child at the amusement park around 6 PM Friday evening. I suspect that the father wanted the child transferred in a public place to avoid false allegations.

We know that Walker had to "return" the child on Monday morning. The missing Vinnie website originally stated that the child was spending the following weekend (after the abduction) with family at the lake. That would suggest that Walker had visitation every other weekend. Although this may be the Summer plan, it's unusual for the child to live with his father's family during the Summer, have visitation with the mother on alternating weekends, and then to live with the mother during the school year. I think that would be very disruptive for a 7 year old child.

Another point regarding allegations of domestic violence 4 years after the relationship has ended, the courts do not assume that parental conflict means the child experiences violence.

As I said in an earlier post political clout goes a long way. So perhaps the charges will be lowered to "Mischef." But for me an aggrivating factor here is that her staged disappearance with her child takes away from legitimate missing persons cases, sadly. It just helps cast doubt on the other legitimate ones. That should not be understated here.
Not only that, but false allegations of domestic violence during a 4 year custody disputes takes away from people who legitimately experience domestic violence. Custody courts hear it all the time to the extent that domestic violence has been set aside as parental conflict that does not indicate violence towards the child. Domestic violence is not a consideration in custody decisions because it is too often used falsely to attempt to gain the upper hand in custody.

What most likely happened, during 4 years of custody dispute, is that an independent party, usually a psychologist, was brought in to represent the child and to determine the best interests of the child regarding where the child should live. If the decision was that they child should live with his father and have alternating weekend visitation with Walker, that could trigger Walker to spend months developing a plan to fake the death of the child.

“I am fighting systems that continuously fail to protect me as an Indigenous woman and protect non-Indigenous men."

I am wondering if that ^^^ is really the case in her situation?

She is accusing her ex of recent physical assaults upon her, and of abusing their young son.

The police said they investigated the accusations and found no evidence to support them.

I am not sure I am believing her story about the recent abuse.
I don't believe the abuse allegations at all. I also don't believe that white Canadian men are given more credibility in custody disputes than wealthy, well educated, successful Indigenous women in Canada. I believe that Walker wanted sole custody so she could move to Ottawa or Victoria for work.

Walker's aunt, an outspoken advocate for extraditing Walker to Canada, is renowned for her advocacy for child wellness and strengthening family. Walker has access to people in positions of authority, through family and her FSIN role, but she chose to formally have the 7 year old child designated a deceased/missing person rather than allow the child to have access to his father.

"Jansen and Walker were partners four years ago, he said, and since then Jansen said Walker has tried to move away with the seven-year-old three times, including twice to Ottawa and once to the Victoria area.

“I know that is something that is kind of on her mind, so I’m hoping maybe it was a moment she wasn’t thinking clearly or something, that they just went. I think Dawn has resources that she could do that, but I don’t know,” he said. “They could be anywhere.”

When asked why he thought Walker might try to move away from Saskatoon, Jansen said he wasn’t entirely sure.

Part of it was work related, but I think part was maybe for a fresh start,” he said."

August 2 (Walker and child missing)

The only way that Dawn Walker could move to another city with the child is with agreement from the other parent, or if she had sole custody. If the other parent refused to allow Walker to move away with the child, then she would fight for sole custody.
It appears that Canada's procedures are similar to the U.S. Claiming DV and trying to eliminate the father from residential time is separate from trying to relocate.

The court must rule if either parent can relocate, no agreement is needed from the other parent. After failing at least twice in court, Walker already knew there was no chance in **** she would be able to move without abandoning her child.

She would need evidence for recent claims of (child abuse) domestic violence to get a parenting plan changed and still would have to get permission to move. Even a parent with restricted access can argue that a child shouldn't be taken away from established school, friends, church, extended family, etc.

Permission to relocate does not give sole custody to either parent and the child might spend all non-school time with one parent. I'm guessing that Walker had an attorney and knew that without provable DV, she wasn't going to get sole custody and was stuck with the parenting plan.

It appears that Canada's procedures are similar to the U.S. Claiming DV and trying to eliminate the father from residential time is separate from trying to relocate.

The court must rule if either parent can relocate, no agreement is needed from the other parent. After failing at least twice in court, Walker already knew there was no chance in **** she would be able to move without abandoning her child.

She would need evidence for recent claims of (child abuse) domestic violence to get a parenting plan changed and still would have to get permission to move. Even a parent with restricted access can argue that a child shouldn't be taken away from established school, friends, church, extended family, etc.

Permission to relocate does not give sole custody to either parent and the child might spend all non-school time with one parent. I'm guessing that Walker had an attorney and knew that without provable DV, she wasn't going to get sole custody and was stuck with the parenting plan.

I agree that child custody, and joint custody, is similar in the USA, Canada and many Western countries.

I'm fairly certain that after 4 years of arguing about the child, they had exhausted all options for custody dispute resolution. I'm guessing there was a strict schedule regarding birthdays, all holidays, religion, education and extended family. I think that Dawn Walker did not like being told when she could spend time with the child, so she crafted a devious plan to convince everyone that the child was dead.

rbbm.
''Judge Stacie F. Beckerman of the U.S. district court in Oregon ordered that Dawn Marie Walker, 48, be returned to Canadian officials Wednesday.

The prosecution and defence both consented to Walker’s return to Canada after she waived a formal extradition process, which would likely be lengthy.

Scott Kerin, Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon, told the court that returning Walker to Canada is in the best interest for both countries.

Agents with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are to drive her to the Canadian border where she is to be released to law enforcement.''

''U.S. federal public defender Megha Desai told the court that Walker is the victim of intimate partner abuse and, as a result, has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.''

Beckerman said Tuesday that she lamented that Walker ended up in her courtroom in Oregon and did not get the support she needed at home.

“I hope that you are able to see your son soon,” she said to Walker.''

rbbm.
''Judge Stacie F. Beckerman of the U.S. district court in Oregon ordered that Dawn Marie Walker, 48, be returned to Canadian officials Wednesday.

The prosecution and defence both consented to Walker’s return to Canada after she waived a formal extradition process, which would likely be lengthy.

Scott Kerin, Assistant U.S. Attorney for the District of Oregon, told the court that returning Walker to Canada is in the best interest for both countries.

Agents with the U.S. Department of Homeland Security are to drive her to the Canadian border where she is to be released to law enforcement.''

''U.S. federal public defender Megha Desai told the court that Walker is the victim of intimate partner abuse and, as a result, has been diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder.''

Beckerman said Tuesday that she lamented that Walker ended up in her courtroom in Oregon and did not get the support she needed at home.

Disgusting

rbbm.

What in the actual $@&! is going on here?? I thought the domestic violence was not proven? She faked her and her sons death, stole passports and identities, and abducted her son across the border and is told by the judge “I hope you get to see your son soon“?!

I hope there is more information coming about this because at this point it makes no sense and encourages women to just fake their kids death and abduct them when custody doesn’t go their way.

If Dawn is truly a domestic violence victim then I am sorry for her and hope she gets the help she needs, but I don’t see how this was the answer, or why she’s getting sympathy for what she did.

JMO

I'm curious whether the child's father, who has not been in a relationship with Walker for at least 4 years, will react to USA court records deeming him somehow involved with partner abuse causing PTSD. The USA courts have also treated Walker as a victim of Canadian police, who thoroughly investigated all allegations and did not file charges.

If the child's father does not stand up for himself, many people will wonder what he did to Walker. He is again in the same situation he was in when Walker faked the child's death and hid - where he was viewed as responsible for harming them.

I'm curious whether Canadian police will file identity theft charges when she is back in Canada.

“Also in the backdrop of this case is that she has been the victim of intimate partner abuse and suffers from post-traumatic stress disorder,” the [USA federal public defender] said.

“Ms. Walker, most people in our courtroom arrive here after experiencing some trauma in their lives and that’s especially true for the women who end up in our courtroom. And I’m sorry that you weren’t able to get the support that you needed at home and that you ended up here in an Oregon courtroom,” [U.S. district court magistrate judge Stacie F. Beckerman] said.

In a media conference after her arrest, Saskatoon police Deputy Chief Randy Huisman said any previous allegations made by Walker to police were “thoroughly investigated” and no charges resulted from those investigations."

Star Phoenix

Aug 24 2022
''SASKATOON - Family and friends of an Indigenous woman arrested in the United States say she will have her community’s support upon her return to Canada.

Dawn Walker, 48, was to be handed to Canadian authorities Wednesday after spending two weeks in U.S. federal custody.

“It’s the best news ever really,” said Kathy Walker, who is Dawn Walker’s younger sister.

“It’s truly an answer to our prayers and hopes. The battle’s not over, but just to know she’s no longer sitting in a U.S. jail is wonderful news.”

Sunchild said Walker’s story has resonated with other women across Canada who have their own stories of abuse, and they will continue to support Walker as her case makes its way through the courts.

“I’m so happy that people were able to see Dawn’s point of view,” Sunchild said. “It’s really great to see people were supporting her and could relate to her story.”

Kathy Walker said her sister’s story is not unique, and women across Canada have been reaching out to her family.''

“There’s so many mothers who have shared their stories ... who have said they totally understand what Dawn has gone through,” Kathy Walker said. “She felt that was the only thing she could do to protect herself and her son.”

I, as a woman, am incensed by this mother hiding behind her sex and her whining about how she has been mistreated, in this particular case, because of it.

I know, yes, I know she is also complaining about her indigenous status being another reason for her unfair treatment vis-a-vis that of the child's father who is non-indigenous.

Further, I am saddened to imagine the experience of the child when he learns his own mother staged his death, or abduction.

The unnecessary sorrow she caused the child's father and all who love him by wanting them believe he had probably drowned or had been abducted is unforgivable, IMO.

The support she has garnered from individuals and groups with whom she is associated is misplaced. There are men, women and children who deserve their support, but this Dawn Dumont Walker person is not amongst them.

IMO, whatever her "reasons" for her behaviour, none is proven, nor justifiable.

IMO, her actions are unconscionable. And grotesque.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998
Back