CANADA Canada - WhtMale, 50-65, 5'6''-5'10'', long grey hair, Sorel boots size 11,Whistler BC, Nov 2013

dotr

Reaction score
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/b...s-service/unidentified/2014jag0128-000650.pdf
BURNABY – The BC Coroners Service, assisted by the Sea to Sky RCMP Detachment and BC Police Missing Persons Centre, is seeking the public’s help in identifying a man whose body was found in a heavily wooded area approximately eight kilometres north of Whistler.The man is known to have bought food items at the Nesters Market in Whistler on Nov.13, 2013; he is thought to have perished shortly thereafter. He may have suffered from emotional stress at the time of his disappearance.He was found near a mountain bike trail within 200 metres of Highway 99 near the midpoint of Green Lake. There are no suspicious circumstances surrounding this death.He is Caucasian and is estimated to be between 50 and 65 years of age. He has long grey hair held in a short ponytail with a ‘scrunchie’. He is between 5’6” and 5’10” tall and has a medium build. He has no remarkable scars or tattoos.He was wearing a heavy black three-quarter-length winter coat with a fur trimmed hood, under which he wore a dark-blue fleece hoodie with bright yellow “NAVY” lettering emblazoned on the chest. The man was also wearing black “Sportec” jogging pants and Sorel winter boots size 11L. He was also in possession of bifocal glasses. Among the personal effects recovered at the scene was a dark backpack with a yellow “Academy of Learning” logo''

Whistler John Doe (2014)
latest

Accessories
  • A yellow-metal Roman numeral watch with a brown band and square face.
  • Sunglasses.
  • Bifocal glasses.
  • A red, helium balloon tank.
  • A bottle of Lucid Absinthe.
  • A dark-colored backpack with "Academy of Learning" in yellow lettering.
  • A receipt from November 14, 2013 in an unspecified pocket.
Gallery

Lengthy article.
April 10, 2020
'Every face tells a story'
Inside the 33-year effort to identify mystery remains found on Whistler Mountain
By Brandon Barrett
https://www.piquenewsmagazine.com/whistler/every-face-tells-a-story/Content?oid=15262743

• Photos courtesy of the RCMP

• A bust recreated from a 3D-printed skull of Whistler's John Doe at the New York Academy of
Unfortunately this one appears to be an even older Whistler John Doe case. British Columbia has a lot of issues with disappearances and bodies based on cursory research today.

Whistler John Doe (2014)
latest

Accessories
  • A yellow-metal Roman numeral watch with a brown band and square face.
  • Sunglasses.
  • Bifocal glasses.
  • A red, helium balloon tank.
  • A bottle of Lucid Absinthe.
  • A dark-colored backpack with "Academy of Learning" in yellow lettering.
  • A receipt from November 14, 2013 in an unspecified pocket.
Gallery

There are a lot of extremely unique details here. We have the only pure-absinthe brand sold in the United States by Hood River, Oregon distillery; we have a Steve and Barry's "Navy" hoodie even though Steve and Barry's went bankrupt in 2008 and was only ever located in the States; we have "Sportec" running pants, which are a British brand; then we have Sorel winter boots and a thick winter coat; a pair of bifocals and sunglasses were recovered; then most helpfully, an "Academy of Learning" label on a backpack. "Academy of Learning" has a specific label on the bag and I was able to match that. It's a Canadian company with headquarters in Mississauga, Ontario.

Some of the recovered items point to homelessness, especially as a news article described how the bicyclist who found the body found him in a sort of trail camp he had created. That makes me think someone living outdoors. Not to mention disparate brands of clothes that seem a bit hodgepodge. But then again, is absinthe the go-to libation for homeless folks? He had money for absinthe and was seen at a store November 13 purchasing groceries; a receipt from November 14 was in his pocket.

I looked up the weather history in the area for November 14, 2013 and discovered that it was unseasonably warm. About 54 degrees Fahrenheit with lows in the 40s. Since he was found wearing Sorel boots and a heavy 3/4-length winter coat with fur hood, I went looking for dates after November 14, 2013 where snow was possible with colder temps. According to Blackcomb, a resort at Whistler, the temperature dropped on November 16 and it snowed 2 inches, and on November 17, it snowed 4 inches. That leads me to believe it was either November 16 or 17 when the man passed.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.46.12 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 12.46.12 AM.png
    171.6 KB · Views: 10
Wait, what????

Yeah. I have a theory about that. It makes me think he committed suicide with it. Inhaling too much helium can cause asphyxiation or immediate embolisms. In theory he would pass out first and then die without pain. But it can really backfire. There are some unfortunate Google searches about this topic. Paired with the absinthe, there's kind of a picture there. And info about what police found indicate he died in a state of "emotional distress" with no suspicions about foul play.

Yeah. I have a theory about that. It makes me think he committed suicide with it. Inhaling too much helium can cause asphyxiation or immediate embolisms. In theory he would pass out first and then die without pain. But it can really backfire. There are some unfortunate Google searches about this topic. Paired with the absinthe, there's kind of a picture there. And info about what police found indicate he died in a state of "emotional distress" with no suspicions about foul play.

I did not know that. Yeah, it makes sense, doesn't it? Poor guy.

I wonder if that's what he bought on the 14th?

So I think I may have a possible identity to rule out.

Anthony Paul Manghelli, off-road motorbike enthusiast/racer and marathoner who disappeared in October 2010 at the age of 50 after specifically quitting job, leaving residence in Santa Paula, CA, putting belongings into storage, and disappearing. There is a 1998 San Francisco Marathon photo used in NamUs profile that already shows greying hair and patches of white/grey in beard. Face shape really looks similar to sketch. Add on 15 years of aging to the photo and he would conceivably be fully greyed by 2013. Research shows brother Donald Manghelli of Portland, OR was estate conservator appointed in 2014, four years after disappearance. Brother Donald has online presence with photos that look similar to sketch.

Online records show a "Tony Manghelli" participating in S.F. Marathon in 1998, Portland Marathon in 1999, and many AMA-approved events in the 2000s, including two events in 2010, right before he left. I am hoping to email the organizers behind that race to see if anybody has memories or records of him. Best-case scenario this is not him and he's off on his own on a motorcycle and someone can confirm that.

always frustrated trying to look into cases from Canada...how long until we get a comprehensive searchable government database such as NamUs??
(i'd like to give a shout-out to the site Ontario's Missing Adults, a great comprehensive database for missing adults in Ontario run by the public! Wish there was one of these for every province....)

i am liking Richard Vanalstine as a potential ID if you think hair can go completely from brown to grey between ages of 54 and 56 - from Dundalk Ontario (possible connection with the bag), wore his long hair in a ponytail, and left his house planning to live out in the bush for a while. Now I don't know why he would have ended up in BC but he sounds like the type to wander and explore. No mention on if he wore glasses or not.
01489_Image_L-229x300.jpg

Last edited:
some more Canadian possibilities:
BC:
Roderic Maynard - short grey hair, had 'personal issues', a little heavyset for this UID
showImage

Douglas Renz - from the general area, has the same balding pattern as the UID, not grey at the time but ofc could have gone grey after 2010.
showImage

Wesley Foulds - also an older, greying gentleman from the general area. Sounds like he committed suicide in the Dam though but hey you never know..
showImage

AB:
David Powell - looks like he wore bifocals, longish white/blonde hair, but likely ruled-out since he wore false teeth?
showImage

always frustrated trying to look into cases from Canada...how long until we get a comprehensive searchable government database such as NamUs??
(i'd like to give a shout-out to the site Ontario's Missing Adults, a great comprehensive database for missing adults in Ontario run by the public! Wish there was one of these for every province....)

i am liking Richard Vanalstine as a potential ID if you think hair can go completely from brown to grey between ages of 54 and 56 - from Dundalk Ontario (possible connection with the bag), wore his long hair in a ponytail, and left his house planning to live out in the bush for a while. Now I don't know why he would have ended up in BC but he sounds like the type to wander and explore. No mention on if he wore glasses or not.
01489_Image_L-229x300.jpg

I completely agree about Canada. It's a shame, but my understanding is a lot of it is about privacy laws? That seems to be the reasoning I've heard for limited public information. Which is bad because British Columbia seems to have a real problem up there with missing persons and unidentified remains.

The sketch for Whistler John Doe suggests a really specific kind of face shape. Perhaps it's due to the facial expression of the body for the sketching that creates such a sad, depressed look. But the sketch suggests a missing lower tooth and prominent cheek bones with a long, narrow face. That backpack, though, like you said, throws a wrench, because it's either a huge clue, or it's a dead end if most of these personal items came from a donation bin. That being said, the watch looks old but isn't just some Target piece, it's a Japanese brand that probably originally cost more than $100. I tend to believe anyone who pays more than $50 for a watch is doing so because they want special features or a brand name and can afford it. So this reinforces my belief that this man wasn't homeless but living in the Whistler area on purpose. In fact, I think it's pretty significant that these are all of the items the man had with him. If he were really homeless or that had been his camp, they would have found quite a bit more to list. So I wonder what his local residence was if this was just the place where he died?

Actually, this brings up a question I've had: What happens to a hotel room or an apartment/residence if you do not return? In the hotel's case, all of your belongings are in the room. Where do they go? Is a hotel responsible for calling the police and handing them over? Do the items go into hotel storage? Are they just tossed? I would hope police and hotels communicate regarding such circumstances, right? Or is this useless data?

I'm liking the circumstances of Anthony Paul Manghelli. Hard to tell whether he matches facially based on just that one very old and tiny photo.

With the long hair, it's not just whether a missing person has time to go gray, it also needs time for the hair to grow out that long. Which I think rules out Vanalstine and Renz, probably also Carlson and Foulds.

Would like to see Tweedle without his hat and beard. The UID has a long narrow nose like that and I think the overall face shape matches.

Seriously wondering about Maynard, too. He could have lost weight if he was living rough. But I think his jaw is way too prominent.

Several look possible but none of them really grab me.

I'm liking the circumstances of Anthony Paul Manghelli. Hard to tell whether he matches facially based on just that one very old and tiny photo.

With the long hair, it's not just whether a missing person has time to go gray, it also needs time for the hair to grow out that long. Which I think rules out Vanalstine and Renz, probably also Carlson and Foulds.

Would like to see Tweedle without his hat and beard. The UID has a long narrow nose like that and I think the overall face shape matches.

Seriously wondering about Maynard, too. He could have lost weight if he was living rough. But I think his jaw is way too prominent.

Several look possible but none of them really grab me.

Right? It feels like combing for totally improbable odds and then you get a hit like that where it's someone who left on purpose, who seemed to want to escape from others for whatever unknown reason, and with a background of living in Calabasas and Simi Valley where there's the suggestion of having some money. I'm pretty sure anybody whose hobby is desert motorcycle racing isn't poor. Plus, I know the 1998 pic doesn't suggest age, but the face shape kind of grabbed me. And since he had already had some patches of white in the beard and grey in the hair at 38, I'd expect he'd be on his way to full white by 50. I dunno. Something about it jumped out at me. I did actually email the coroner in BC to ask if they would consider him as I learned family have been doing DNA tests looking for him.

I received a response from BC Coroner's Service re: Anthony Paul Manghelli as a possible ID on Whistler John Doe. They're following up but believe he has been excluded forensically already. SVU contact believes it wasn't a bad comparison facially but they, too, agree it's a bit of a stretch for Manghelli to end up a transient in Canada. Honestly, for Manghelli's whereabouts, I may concentrate my searches on desert areas of California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico given his interests in desert motorcycle racing. Makes you also wonder if he decided to do an international trip with his bike. Could he have gone to South America, Africa, Asia, or Australia with someone and never returned?

I received a response from BC Coroner's Service re: Anthony Paul Manghelli as a possible ID on Whistler John Doe. They're following up but believe he has been excluded forensically already. SVU contact believes it wasn't a bad comparison facially but they, too, agree it's a bit of a stretch for Manghelli to end up a transient in Canada. Honestly, for Manghelli's whereabouts, I may concentrate my searches on desert areas of California, Nevada, Arizona, and New Mexico given his interests in desert motorcycle racing. Makes you also wonder if he decided to do an international trip with his bike. Could he have gone to South America, Africa, Asia, or Australia with someone and never returned?

For desert racing, don't overlook Mexico and the Sahara...

I agree it's a bit of a stretch but you never know what a person who loses contact is going to do, especially if they lost contact due to depression or other issues...

For desert racing, don't overlook Mexico and the Sahara...

I agree it's a bit of a stretch but you never know what a person who loses contact is going to do, especially if they lost contact due to depression or other issues...

That's actually what the contact said. I really appreciated how jovial they were about it. He ended his comment with, "But hey, stranger things have happened!" I admitted when I wrote that I found it more of a hunch than a match based on evidence. But after the Christopher McCandless story, you never know what might drive someone to go into the outdoors alone.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back