GUILTY Canada - William Staples, 67, & Rhonda Borelli, 36, murdered, Binbrook, Ont, Jan 1998

Ex wife of accused has a few things to say in court yesterday:
Life of accused in disarray, ex-wife tells Staples trial

.... The Crown believes the murders happened between Jan. 16 and 19.

On Jan. 20, news of Bill and Rhonda's disappearance was spreading.

Echlin drove to the farm. Mark was there.

"He seemed upset. He was definitely crying ... I didn't see any reason to be crying at that time."

At that point, she told the jury, it still seemed likely Bill and Rhonda had merely gone away for a few days.

On May 27, 1998 she went to Mulligan's to talk to Mark about child support. It would be another two weeks before Bill and Rhonda's bodies were found. Yet, perhaps oddly, Mark said that soon Felicia would get $100,000 from Bill's will. ....

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/4914533-life-of-accused-in-disarray-ex-wife-tells-staples-trial/

This is really weird. There was a headline the other day, but when I followed the link, it went to a completely differently headline about something completely different. I looked again this morning, and this is all I can find. I wonder why it was removed.
The Hamilton Spectator

Cousin accuses Staples of killing his mother too, double murder trial hears

In one of the strangest exchanges of Mark Staples' double murder trial so far, court heard his cousin believes the accused killed his own mother -- along with his father and sister. ... http://goo.gl/MFgl1t

If one googles 'cousin accused staples of killing his mother too', it shows a couple of links, but they all seem to lead back to a completely different story.

The above is the most I can find about it, and it is located at the newspaper's FB:

https://www.facebook.com/hamiltonspectator/photos/a.386043807246.203764.374180572246/10152747931712247/?type=1

''The officer was asked by the defence if he was aware there were "wiretap authorizations for these individuals as well."

"No, I don't know that," Garland said''

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4...ing-his-mother-too-double-murder-trial-hears/

The headline about the cousin caught my eye too and clicking through I was surprised I couldn't find a thing.
I wonder if the statement was thrown out by the judge (via DT) as it was not answering the question put forward -- I don't know?

The concern I have now is that the officer didn't know if there was authorization for wiretapping -- YIKES -- that could be a problem!

It says: "In one of the strangest exchanges of Mark Staples' double murder trial so far, court heard his cousin believes the accused killed his own mother -- along with his father and sister. ", so sounds like the 'cousin' said this, but the story did not include anything at all about the cousin. If a statement was thrown out by the judge, you would assume that the reporter would also have been aware of that, and would not have published it at all, so where are these little pieces/trails coming from? This article about the authorization.. it's so poorly written.. difficult to make heads or tails out of it. Nothing seems to have been posted today.

Finally another update:

A forensic anthropologist, who later examined the skeletons, said any one of the skull fractures could have caused Bill's death. He also discovered Bill's jaw was fractured.

Bullock determined the cause of death for Bill was "blunt force head injuries" and "a lot of fractures ... consistent with very heavy blows."

Bill's head injuries were similar to what might be seen of someone who has been hit by a train, according to the doctor.

No fractures were found on Rhonda, the doctor says, nor was there any evidence of sexual assault.

Most of her neck tissue was gone, making it impossible to know if she was cut or strangled.

Bullock ruled Rhonda's cause of death as "undetermined."

It is likely only her killer knows how she was murdered.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4950102-live-difficult-morning-for-jury-in-staples-murder-trial/

This is such a sad, ugly case of greed gone wild.
Of course there's been no mention of parking ticket (that you normally get when you enter the parking lot) because the bad guy probably took it with him and destroyed it.
Of course there's no way of going back in time to look at video surveillance....probably taped over it by now.

Perhaps the oddest piece is why no one found the bodies earlier !!!

Scary to think that there were no patrols by security personnel

all MOO

http://www.insidehalton.com/news-st...aphic-details-of-victims-decomposing-remains/

With police photographs of the badly decomposed remains of his father and sister on screens all around him, Mark Staples covers his eyes with a hand and does not look.

It is the first time he has had any noticeable reaction to evidence at his double murder trial.

The images are very disturbing. They were taken June 9, 1998, hours after Bill Staples' white pickup truck was found in a Park 'N Fly lot near the Toronto airport... By the time the truck was found, five months had passed.

Today's news story:

58 minutes ago | Vote 0 0
Staples jury ordered from court twice in 15-minute period
Mark Staples is charged with two counts of first degree murder. His trial enters its fifth week.
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont

In the first instance, Sciarra was questioning Moore about mistakes made during a five-month search for Mark's father and sister, Bill Staples and Rhonda Borelli, who disappeared from their Binbrook farm in January 1998.

It was thought that Toronto or Peel police had checked for Bill's missing truck in parking lots near the Toronto airport, but in fact that hadn't been done. In June of that year, the truck was indeed found at a Park'N Fly lot, with the badly decomposed remains of the wealthy farmer and his grown daughter in the back.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4957978-staples-murder-trial-hears-of-search-for-missing-truck/

Tuesday's Court session:

5 hours ago |
Staples murder trial: Farmhouse searched for blood and bones
Hamilton Spectator
By Susan Clairmont

A retired forensic identification officer searched for human blood and bones and signs of a struggle and violence at the Staples farmhouse and found only a few samples to submit for testing.

Frank Pederson, who was with the Hamilton police service, spent a month searching the Staples farm property, outbuildings, house and trailer after Bill Staples and his daughter Rhonda Borelli vanished in January 1998.

The jury heard he found small amounts of blood on a kitchen light switch, on two towels and on a golf ball.

He did not find obvious signs of a struggle or violence and, when digging through the ashes of a "burn bin" he did not find any human bones.

http://www.thespec.com/news-story/4959788-staples-murder-trial-farmhouse-searched-for-blood-and-bones/

Aww thanks newone. I have seriously been waiting so long for this trial. It seems that because the trial is so long removed from the crime, that only one rews agency is sending anyone to cover. The news stories sure aren't riveting, by any means, are they? Leads one to wonder. Jeez, surely when such a crime is committed, there must be evidence to find! Where is it?

I am grateful for your updates on this case......

Aww thanks newone. I have seriously been waiting so long for this trial. It seems that because the trial is so long removed from the crime, that only one rews agency is sending anyone to cover. The news stories sure aren't riveting, by any means, are they? Leads one to wonder. Jeez, surely when such a crime is committed, there must be evidence to find! Where is it?

To me cases like this one are heartbreaking. Too easy to forget that there are family members whose hearts have been broken and no answers.
I am gobsmacked that the vehicle wasn't found sooner -- that's where things got messed up ((my guess)).

I'm not sure which day's Court session this is from, I think yesterday's since it says this article was posted 16 hours ago and it is now 11pm EST. Not sure where today's is. They got into some of the DNA evidence aspect of things.

CLAIRMONT: Blood from murder suspect's sister found in drive shed

..... But there was something in the first drive shed.

"It's a concrete floor with dirt on the surface of the floor. There was some darker staining."

It tested positive for blood.

In his lab, he broke the sample down further. It was human blood. Female blood.

Then he compared it to a DNA profile he had generated of Rhonda, using the pulp from a tooth removed during her autopsy.

In January 2000 he reported that four samples taken from within the stain on the drive shed floor "matched the profile of Rhonda Borelli."

The probability that it could be someone else's blood was 1 in 62,000, according to the tests available at the time.

On July 4, 2013, the samples were checked again using the latest testing methods. Now the chance that the blood belonged to someone other than Rhonda was one in 1.58 quintillion.

"I must confess, I don't even know how many zeros it's got," Newman said when asked what a quintillion is. "It's more zeros than you have on your calculator."

What science can't say, Newman told the jury, is how much of Rhonda's blood is within the stain. Or when the stain was made.

http://www.mykawartha.com/news-story/4961688-staples-murder-trial-burn-bin-items-underwent-forensic-testing/

Yes.. it had not really occurred to me before/at the time the vehicle was found.. but.. I wonder if the truck was in fact there the entire time, or if it more recently appeared there, closer to the time of its discovery. I wonder if they are able to state for sure that the truck had been there the entire time. It seems so unlikely that it wouldnt' be noticed, if not by LE, then what about by whoever is in charge of the 'park 'n fly' revenues? Do they not do checks every now and then to ensure that nobody is getting a free ride?

To me cases like this one are heartbreaking. Too easy to forget that there are family members whose hearts have been broken and no answers.
I am gobsmacked that the vehicle wasn't found sooner -- that's where things got messed up ((my guess)).

Ah, so this is why no news since Wednesday.

Susan ClairmontVerified account ‏@susanclairmont

A reminder that the Mark Staples double murder trial does not sit today. It will resume Monday. #HamOnt

6:49 AM - 6 Nov 2014

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amberdw2021
Back