Canada - Canadian hockey team fatal bus accident tragedy, 6 April 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
https://www.thestar.com/news/canada...ess-safety-of-broncos-crash-intersection.html

foot dragging and cya by the province. In the meantime, everyone waits for answers.

You would hope a tragedy of this magnitude would prompt a more immediate response.

Humboldt Broncos
@HumboldtBroncos
·
23h
The notes, the flowers, and the continued outpouring of love and support means so much. We see you, we love you, we thank you. #humboldtstrong

AB1758CA-BBA3-414E-8605-112A9AB01DB6.jpeg

Nearly four weeks may have passed but please know we still care about the victims and the injured.

He had a shearing type of injury through his upper back," says Dr. Ken Thomas, an orthopaedic surgeon and Straschnitzki's current doctor at the Foothills Medical Centre in Calgary.

"The spinal cord passes through the vertebral bodies. So when you shear that spinal column, the spinal cord gets hung up and pinched and bruised."

Emergency surgery

When Straschnitzki arrived at Royal University Hospital in Saskatoon the night of the accident, he was alert and able to tell the doctors he couldn't feel anything in his legs.

A detailed neurological examination revealed he had a fracture between the second and third vertebrae of the thoracic spine, quite a rigid part of the spinal column that connects to the ribs.

He was unable to move anything below his mid chest.

When he was thrown from the bus, it appears "he landed on his shoulders on the ground with neck flexed, and with his head curled up like you'd do in a somersault," says Dr. Daryl Fourney, the neurosurgeon on call that night.
"It was like a bad somersault, there was too much flexion and compression of the vertebrae."

Current research suggests decompressing the spine as quickly as possible, within 24 hours of the injury, can yield the best results — although it's not always feasible to do complex spinal surgery in that kind of timeframe.

In Straschnitzki's case it was, and the next morning he underwent a four-and-a-half hour operation to realign his vertebrae so as not to further pinch the spinal cord. Dr. Fourney removed a ruptured disc and some bone to stabilize the spine, then held it in place with tiny screws.

"He did fine through the surgery," the doctor says.

But the injury was severe.

"I had the discussions with Ryan and his family," Dr. Fourney explains. "The chance of significant recovery, with current technology in 2018, is poor. It is unlikely he will regain any meaningful function below the level of the injury."

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/ryan-straschnitzki-spine-injury-rehab-broncos-bus-crash-1.4642860

Update on Ryan Straschnitzki's condition. I hope and pray some progress can be made.

Finally got my hands on a HUMBOLDT STRONG t-shirt...

:tears:

Still feels like it happened yesterday.

:candle:

#HumboldtStrong

Finally got my hands on a HUMBOLDT STRONG t-shirt...

:tears:

Still feels like it happened yesterday.

:candle:

#HumboldtStrong

On Sunday it will be a month since this horrible accident. My thoughts are with the families and the victims of this tragedy. In their lives, a month is such a short period of time, I know they are still suffering and still in the early days of hopefully starting to recover.

But it’s also a full month in time. There have been few to no updates, and no concrete action has been taken by authorities to improve the safety at the intersection. Twenty two people have died there, and yet they don’t know if its dangerous? Now they,re going to hire a consultant sometime in the future. One has to wonder how many “experts” they already employ, yet they need consultants? In the meantime, tHe truck driver is out there, perhaps driving truck for someone else. Are there other lives at risk because of this? Or perhaps the truck driver is blameless, and he has to wait for many months for authorities to finally decide what happened.

I hope with all my heart that investigators are working days, nights, and weekends to reach their findings as tquickly as possible. These young men and their families and friends deserve nothing less.

An article by Kelly Chase in The Players Tribune- For Humboldt

In every small town in Canada there is a place that everyone knows.

Wherever that place might be, it is, in a metaphorical sense, the center of the town. It’s where you spend your Friday nights, your Saturday mornings. It’s where your dad plays poker with his buddies on weeknights, where your mom brings her homemade cookies for everyone to try — it’s where you want to be.

That place is the hockey rink. It has only a few hundred seats and just the one sheet of ice. It’s unremarkable, but also irreplaceable. No matter where you wind up sleeping after you leave, that building is your real home...

more at link https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/kelly-chase-humboldt-broncos

It's been a month and my heart still aches for everyone affected by this horrible tragedy. I proudly wear my Humboldt Strong pin wherever I go. I know it has affected my billet guys as well. They've reached out just to say hi or update me on what's been happening in their lives. One sent me the link above.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canad...player-says--should-be-split-evenly-1.3917261

I wonder what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/canad...player-says--should-be-split-evenly-1.3917261

I wonder what will happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm wondering too. I expected it to be split 29-ways. Now that the amount is this high, suddenly there need to be 'recommendations'. I'm leaning towards agreeing with Mr. Straschnitzki.

I'm wondering too. I expected it to be split 29-ways. Now that the amount is this high, suddenly there need to be 'recommendations'. I'm leaning towards agreeing with Mr. Straschnitzki.
Maybe build something, like a memorial, some legacy, then divide in equal parts? JMOO
No other families have offered an opinion, but officials with the team have said they will establish an advisory committee that will make recommendations on how the money should be doled out.

"They will end up going through a process that involves the courts," said Kevin Garinger, president of the Humboldt Broncos. "We want to do it fairly.

"We just want to make sure that if there is anyone who wants to or needs to dispute anything ... that they have a way of doing that."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/-humboldt-broncos-1.4650777

It is very difficult indeed. I just hope the injured like Ryan receive enough money to cover their future lifetime needs as it can cost an absolute fortune running into millions over decades.

It is very difficult indeed. I just hope the injured like Ryan receive enough money to cover their future lifetime needs as it can cost an absolute fortune running into millions over decades.

That's the thing that's in the back of my mind where I'd be against splitting it evenly. I think the share would be a bit over 500k each - would that even be enough for that? I kinda doubt it...

IMo equal an equal split is probably not equitable. While all have no doubt suffered, some like Ryan have been impacted much more physically, and for a lifetime. I am not being unfeeling, it’s just that imo the respective awards should reflect some combination of both the mental and physical impacts. I wish there was even more $ available. Insurance alone will not come close to being enough, given the number of people impacted.

Duane Daines knows what it's like to have your life change in an instant, so he's paying it forward.

The Canadian Pro Rodeo Hall of Famer plans to donate the wheelchair he used at the 2018 Sheraton Celebrity Dance Off to Ryan Straschnitzki.

The Airdrie teen was left paralyzed from the chest down following the April 6 crash involving the Humboldt Broncos team bus.

https://rdnewsnow.com/article/582593/daines-wheelchair-broncos-crash-survivor

Statement from the family of Xavier Labelle

We are forever grateful for the love, prayers, and support shown towards our family, and our Bronco family, by the many people in our community and around the world that have been touched by this tragedy. We have been deeply moved by your generosity and kindness. Thank you.

Xavier is healing from his multiple injuries. The compassion and care provided by the first responders, medical team, and community has been exceptional. He was moved to the Saskatoon City Hospital Rehabilitation Centre to work with the many professionals who will continue to aid in his recovery.

Our hearts are forever broken over the loss of so many beautiful loved ones. Each of these wonderful people, and their families, will never be forgotten.

We’d like to thank the media and the community. As you have journeyed with us, you have continued to respect our privacy and shown compassion towards us as we have been learning to navigate new horizons. Our perspective has changed dramatically, and we will be moving forward with much love and heartfelt gratitude for others in our life.

With love,

Paul, Tanya, Isaac, Xavier and Viviana LaBelle

https://humboldtstrong.info/2018/05...xavier-labelle/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

8D0FFF4A-D6F5-4DAA-8758-4B03701584DB.jpg

Stay strong Xavier you are doing great!

Warms my heart to see pictures and videos of the guys smiling and working hard to get well. They have a long road ahead, mentally and physically, but they have the hockey family beside them all the way.

Just saw this on Twitter: Manitoban gets Humboldt Broncos championship jacket back from B.C. stranger

It started the day after the Humboldt Broncos bus crash in early April. A bus carrying the junior hockey team in Saskatchewan collided with a semi-trailer on the way to a game. Sixteen people died. Everyone in Canada got to know who the Broncos were — and their signature gold and green colours...

more at link http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/manitoba-humboldt-broncos-vancouver-1.4656153

The Humboldt Broncos hockey club says a team will be ready to hit the ice in time for the 2018-19 Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League season.

The club said in a news release Friday that it’s recruiting a head coach and general manager to replace Darcy Haugan.

Haugan was one of 16 people killed April 6 when the team’s bus and a semi-trailer collided in rural Saskatchewan. Thirteen players were injured.

“Darcy Haugan was selfless, inspirational and motivating, building up his players to be great ambassadors and role models both on the ice and in the community,” said team president Kevin Garinger.

“He took our team to new heights. It will be incredibly difficult to find someone that can rise to his standards.”

As the team recruits the next coach, 80 prospective players will be asked to an invite-only camp from May 25 to May 27 in Saskatoon. It’s not clear whether any of the injured players will return to the team for the upcoming season.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/hockey/article-humboldt-broncos-to-return-for-2018-19-season/

-One of the hockey players who was injured in the Humboldt Broncos bus crash is taking his first step to getting back on the ice.

Kaleb Dahlgren, 20, has committed to play for the Lions hockey team at York University in Toronto.

"My goal is to attend York in the fall of this year," he said Friday in a statement on Twitter. "However, the school has assured me I can begin whenever my body is ready."

https://www.ctvnews.ca/sports/injur...-with-york-university-s-hockey-team-1.3925798

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RonaldLew
Back