Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
^^^ I do get that but I would have to let him know that my assistance was limited and didnt include babysitting. IMO MOO
As for where to sit etc, I would also put down boundaries. IMO MOO

Having boundaries is part of being professional, IMO. MOO

I think we've all had to deal with undesirable people in working lives, but it doesnt mean you have to be spoken to in an imperious manner. IMO, MOO

Even giving him leeway for being held in captivity/being bonkers, requires said boundaries. IMO, MOO

Probably because she is an employee of the govt department that was assisting a family who was just released from captivity and was being professional. We aren’t government employees who were assisting released hostages (well I’m not, idk about anyone else), so how I would react to a pompous douche like JB isn’t comparable to how a government employee reacted to his attitude. At work I regularly have to bite my tongue and control myself when I really want to clap back at the jerks I have to deal with. I’d assume Unger was doing her best to be professional.

Just an extra opinion of mine. I'll bet that if Ms. Unger was a fella, Boyle would not have spoken to her in such a manner or at least not to the same degree. IMO, MOO

He has zero respect for women or 'women's work'. i.e. cleaning up the mess and childcare. IMO, MOO

I did notice, in a photograph of Caitlin at the hospital, that the children seemed to be sitting on the stretcher with her. How bizarre! IMO, MOO

Last edited:
^^^ I do get that but I would have to let him know that my assistance was limited and didnt include babysitting. IMO MOO
As for where to sit etc, I would also put down boundaries. IMO MOO

Having boundaries is part of being professional, IMO. MOO

Yes having boundaries is a part of being a professional, but this wasn’t a typical setting. As far as anyone knew at the time, JB was a victim and she had no idea what he had or hadn’t gone thru. Imagine the headlines if she went off on a newly released hostage.

Or perhaps she used discretion and decided it was best to be non confrontational with JB for the sake of CC and the kids.

There would be no need to 'go off', just keep professional boundaries. One can make a point in a very nice way, esp. in distressing circumstances such as these.

Yes having boundaries is a part of being a professional, but this wasn’t a typical setting. As far as anyone knew at the time, JB was a victim and she had no idea what he had or hadn’t gone thru. Imagine the headlines if she went off on a newly released hostage.

Or perhaps she used discretion and decided it was best to be non confrontational with JB for the sake of CC and the kids.
IMO, she feared him. Did you see the video taken immediately after his release? He acted and looked like an angry Taliban member. They are notorious for their violence against women. He may have jumped up from his seat and punched her in the face if she confronted him.

IMO, she feared him. Did you see the video taken immediately after his release? He acted and looked like an angry Taliban member. They are notorious for their violence against women. He may have jumped up from his seat and punched her in the face if she confronted him.

Totally agree. He is creepy now, but he was even creepier when they first got released. That stupid fake accent and his beady eyes. I wouldn’t be surprised if he made everyone on that plane very uneasy.

Just an extra opinion of mine. I'll bet that if Ms. Unger was a fella, Boyle would not have spoken to her in such a manner or at least not to the same degree. IMO, MOO

He has zero respect for women or 'women's work'. i.e. cleaning up the mess and childcare. IMO, MOO

I did notice, in a photograph of Caitlin at the hospital, that the children seemed to be sitting on the stretcher with her. How bizarre! IMO,
MOO

(BBM)

why is that bizarre ... they have been through something traumatic and want to be close to their mom
even being at the hospital is stressful

Interview JB gave at Toronto Pearson International Airport
The accent he had in the earlier video is now gone it seems.
At the 51 second mark JB states that he never refused any mode of transportation in order to get closer to home, closer to his family.

Here is an interview with TODAY after they arrived in Smiths Falls...he was on an interview spree it seems.

IMO, At first I couldn't believe that JB moved his family out of the Boyle grandparents home soon after arriving back in Canada. The home is large, has beautiful outdoor space, is in a small town outside of Ottawa and does not have the hustle and bustle of city noise, the kids had toys, and books and so much more and when ready, the kids had their own rooms and love from the extended family. They also had security protection around them, some protection services were already in place because P Boyle is a Judge.

Here is an interview with CBC News, probably same day as the Today interview

I am not certain if it was this interview or another when JB gets upset when asked Why they went to Afghanistan, he did not like being asked that question again

Last edited:
Here is an interview with TODAY after they arrived in Smiths Falls...he was on an interview spree it seems.

IMO, At first I couldn't believe that JB moved his family out of the Boyle grandparents home soon after arriving back in Canada. The home is large, has beautiful outdoor space, is in a small town outside of Ottawa and does not have the hustle and bustle of city noise, the kids had toys, and books and so much more and when ready, the kids had their own rooms and love from the extended family. They also had security protection around them, some protection services were already in place because P Boyle is a Judge.

I found it strange he left that beautiful, spacious house as well. It seems like such a lovely and private place to recover and re-group.

jmo

Defence delays trial. I think the defence lawyer will lose simply because bondage and consent is one of the charges, and there was prior consent to that practice. It's interesting that Coleman has a lawyer when typically the only lawyers would be the Crown and the defence lawyer. I wonder why she needs a lawyer in addition to the Crown Prosecutor's office.

"The trial of former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle could be put on hold for months so that the Supreme Court of Canada can decide whether to hear an appeal of a judge’s ruling in the case.

That ruling, issued Wednesday by Ontario Court Justice Peter K. Doody, opened the door to a limited number of defence questions about the sexual history of Caitlan Coleman, Boyle’s estranged wife, and the key Crown witness in the case.

Doody ruled that defence lawyer Lawrence Greenspon could ask questions about Coleman’s history of consensual sex with Boyle, including ones that touched on biting, bondage and anal sex.

Coleman’s lawyer, Ian Carter, and Crown counsel had objected to that line of questioning. They said allowing the questions would render meaningless Sect. 276 of the Criminal Code, which prohibits irrelevant evidence about a complainant’s sexual history."​

Joshua Boyle's criminal trial could be put on hold for months

Defence delays trial. I think the defence lawyer will lose simply because bondage and consent is one of the charges, and there was prior consent to that practice. It's interesting that Coleman has a lawyer when typically the only lawyers would be the Crown and the defence lawyer. I wonder why she needs a lawyer in addition to the Crown Prosecutor's office.

"The trial of former Afghanistan hostage Joshua Boyle could be put on hold for months so that the Supreme Court of Canada can decide whether to hear an appeal of a judge’s ruling in the case.

That ruling, issued Wednesday by Ontario Court Justice Peter K. Doody, opened the door to a limited number of defence questions about the sexual history of Caitlan Coleman, Boyle’s estranged wife, and the key Crown witness in the case.

Doody ruled that defence lawyer Lawrence Greenspon could ask questions about Coleman’s history of consensual sex with Boyle, including ones that touched on biting, bondage and anal sex.

Coleman’s lawyer, Ian Carter, and Crown counsel had objected to that line of questioning. They said allowing the questions would render meaningless Sect. 276 of the Criminal Code, which prohibits irrelevant evidence about a complainant’s sexual history."​

Joshua Boyle's criminal trial could be put on hold for months

Why wouldn’t she have a lawyer? She’s not only the victim of domestic violence, there are other issues involved such as international custody and likely divorce. Also, she is in PA, so having an attorney in Canada to communicate with the court seems like it’d be helpful imo. Oh and JBs father is a judge. That alone is good reason for her to have an attorney to help protect her and her children from the abuser.

<modsnip: snarky>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads