Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boyle routinely emailed the Toronto Sun reporter for years. She wrote a book about Omar Khadr, Guantanamo's Child. It appears that Boyle was attempting to establish himself as a travel writer and foreign correspondent journalist.

Boyle routinely emailed the Toronto Sun reporter for years. She wrote a book about Omar Khadr, Guantanamo's Child. It appears that Boyle was attempting to establish himself as a travel writer and foreign correspondent journalist.
Speculation is that he was trying to set them up in the expat community in Kabul. Contractors, aid workers, journalists and others. That they were planning to stay if it worked out, that they would deal with expired visas, giving birth and a new baby, etc. on the fly. Very glamourous, once-in-a-lifetime opportunity, and all that. Boyle had the inside track (or thought he did) to access the Taliban for interviews. Not so he could be a terrorist, but so he could write a book.
BBM

I’m not sure where the bolded info is coming from unless you are that reporter or know her. ;) Or else it’s in the book she wrote or I’ve missed something along the way, which is entirely possible. Help me out with links, please. Thanks. :)

Yep. Firedragon, you have some truly interesting theories, but they seem to be one step ahead of what the rest of us can find, and the links you have provided don't quite support what you're saying. Again, apologies if I'm missing something; but if I'm not, it would be good to know that we can keep this topic accurate, and free of red herrings.

Did someone finally persuade JB and CC that it is in their best interests to be quiet? I’m actually a bit surprised at the silence and I do have to wonder what is going on. Hoping they have realized that the media is not their friend and are just busy getting counseling and putting their lives put back together.

There's a 13-minute video interview with both Caitlin and Joshua, posted by ABC News this morning: http://abcnews.go.com/International...l-treatment-taliban-captors/story?id=51267549

From the link...

She said some of their guards “hated children” and would target their eldest son for beatings, sometimes with a stick, claiming the young boy was “making problems” or being “too loud.”

... snip...

They used British history -- the tale of the execution of Charles I in 1649 -- to make up a game about beheadings, to ease their eldest son’s fear should their captors do the same to his parents.

“He certainly knew that this type of thing could happen to his family, so he had great fun pretending to be Oliver Cromwell chasing Charles I around and trying to behead him,” she said.*

... snip ....

“But he had to know that these people were bad that he was interacting with outside of his family,” she said.

... snip ...

“I think it’s a sad statement on the state of affairs of the world when a family is asked to justify their decision to have children in any circumstance,” he said.

Unreal.

BBM

Monsters.

There is no justification. None.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I'm struck by the staging of the interview.

The Boyles obviously are crafting their message and ABC went all in. Clearly the setting was chosen for effect, but ABC provides no context. It takes away from the credibility of ABC and Brian Ross's reporting, in my opinion. It's unprofessional. It's entertainment, not news.

All relevant followup questions are avoided because the Boyles don't wish to discuss certain topics. But the video doesn't make that clear. It is only reported in the online article.

The photo of Caitlan and the children accompanying ABC's online article is in a well lit, furnished, carpeted place. Looks like a waiting room or office. Caitlan has on a different skirt or dress than in the interview. But again, no specifics are provided on where and when it was taken, let alone why the interview was conducted in such a self-serving environment.

From the link...

She said some of their guards “hated children” and would target their eldest son for beatings, sometimes with a stick, claiming the young boy was “making problems” or being “too loud.”

... snip...

They used British history -- the tale of the execution of Charles I in 1649 -- to make up a game about beheadings, to ease their eldest son’s fear should their captors do the same to his parents.

“He certainly knew that this type of thing could happen to his family, so he had great fun pretending to be Oliver Cromwell chasing Charles I around and trying to behead him,” she said.*

... snip ....

“But he had to know that these people were bad that he was interacting with outside of his family,” she said.

... snip ...

“I think it’s a sad statement on the state of affairs of the world when a family is asked to justify their decision to have children in any circumstance,” he said.

Unreal.

BBM

Monsters.

There is no justification. None.

Totally agree! If conditions were as harsh and treatment as brutal as Joshua and Caitlan relate, having three more children was beyond narcissistic. Caitlan says their son lived in terror 24/7 his whole life, subject to random beatings and the constant threat of beheading. Every other person besides his parents were evil. Yet when asked what deprivations bothered her the most, she bemoaned the lack of toys and day trips to the zoo. Most children in the world grow up using found objects as toys. The lack of manufactured toys was not his biggest deprivation. It's beyond me that food, clothing, bedding or even some daily exercise outside would not be the top of the list. I'm stunned. When Caitlan had a long pause before she gave that answer, I thought she was going to say something about not being able to have her parents and extended family in the children's lives. Something, anything, about family ties--not being able to show them photos or tell them about the children.....

Joshua's claims about the severity of Caitlan's injuries--broken cheekbone, broken hand, 3 broken fingers--can easily be substantiated. Not that the public will likely know. But I hope her physician and mental health provider (if she has one) can use that to verify other claims as well.

I was struck that Joshua's claims about his own injuries are more vague. He smirked several times about his resistance to the captors, how he was more righteous than they were and how God chose him over them.

Why shouldn't a family be asked to justify their decision to add a child to their home?

Last weekend I helped my daughter pick out a rescue kitten from Petsmart. It was like an inquisition to fill out and answer the form, in order to qualify as the new home for the kitty.

I see no reason why potential parents human children shouldn't be asked the same things.

Do you have children?
Yes
No
List any additional people in the household.

Who will be responsible for the cat's care (the primary caretaker)?
Feeding, cleaning the litter box, taking the cat to the vet, etc.

What is the age of this primary caretaker?*

Has anyone in your household experienced allergies or asthma?
Yes
No
Are you prepared to care for this cat for 15–20 years?
Yes
No
I'm not sure
Why are you looking to adopt a cat? Check all that apply
Companion for you/spouse
Companion for children
Companion for pet
As a gift
Replace lost/deceased cat
Other
ABOUT YOUR PHYSICAL HOME
What kind of home do you live in?*
House
Apartment
Studio
Condo
Townhouse
Duplex
Other
How long have you lived at this address?

Do you have plans to move in the near future?
Yes
No
Maybe
Do you rent or own your home?
Rent
Own
Do you have any of the following? Check all that apply.
Patio
Balcony
Pet door
Unscreened windows
Unscreened doors
Backyard
In what areas of your home will you cat be allowed?

Where will you keep the litter box?

CAT CARE & OTHER PETS
How many hours a day will your cat be left alone?*

Where will your new cat be left when alone?

Will your new cat be an indoor or outdoor pet?*
Indoor
Outdoor
Both
Is this your first pet?*
Yes
No
Do you currently have any other pets?*
Yes
No
What pets have you previously owned?
Cats
Dogs
Birds / Fish / Rabbits / Hamsters, etc.
Other
None
Do you plan to declaw your new cat?*
Yes
No
Unsure
Depends on behavior
Name of current Veterinarian

First

Last
Vet's Phone Number

What is your limit on vet expenses?*

Is there a cat behavior that would not be acceptable to you?

Were you ever in a situation where you were not able to keep a pet?*
Yes
No
I AGREE
I certify that all of the above information is true and accurate. I understand that if I adopt a pet from Kitten Rescue, this online form will become part of the adoption record.
Full Legal Name (as Signature)*

Today's Date*

Their thoughts on children are pathological. Beheadings, beatings? There is no way to express the horror of the idea that they think bringing children into this setting is just fine.

Instead of they themselves abusing the children, they go along with others doing it to the children.

Well, the beheading game sounds like horrid abuse.

What a disturbed pair they are

Anyone else think he might have NPD? A little cult leader with a follower of one (Caitlan) who wants to breed more disciples. Just a theory.

OK, so in order to counter their son’s fear of beheading they taught him to pretend to be Oliver Cromwell trying to behead Charles I? Did they think teaching him to have the same “values” as their captors was somehow empowering and “great fun”? No, just no.

They used British history — the tale of the execution of Charles I in 1649 — to make up a game about beheadings, to ease their eldest son’s fear, should their captors do the same to his parents.
“He certainly knew that this type of thing could happen to his family, so he had great fun pretending to be Oliver Cromwell chasing Charles I around and trying to behead him,” she said. “So we made it a game so that he wasn’t afraid, because there was, you know, there was nothing we could do if it came to that except try to make him less afraid.”

BBM

http://abcnews.go.com/International...l-treatment-taliban-captors/story?id=51267549

At four years old, their oldest was still young enough that they shouldn't have had to resort to playing beheading games to shield him from some knowledge of the family's plight. Even if the captors somehow conveyed the threat of beheading to the child in a way that he couldn't help but understand, the parents could have simply said "Sometimes people say things they don't mean to scare other people. That isn't going to happen to us. Good people are working very hard to bring us back home, and the bad people know that and won't hurt us so badly."

OK, so in order to counter their son’s fear of beheading they taught him to pretend to be Oliver Cromwell trying to behead Charles I? Did they think teaching him to have the same “values” as their captors was somehow empowering and “great fun”? No, just no.

They used British history — the tale of the execution of Charles I in 1649 — to make up a game about beheadings, to ease their eldest son’s fear, should their captors do the same to his parents.
“He certainly knew that this type of thing could happen to his family, so he had great fun pretending to be Oliver Cromwell chasing Charles I around and trying to behead him,” she said. “So we made it a game so that he wasn’t afraid, because there was, you know, there was nothing we could do if it came to that except try to make him less afraid.”

BBM

http://abcnews.go.com/International...l-treatment-taliban-captors/story?id=51267549

The more I think about this, the more it disturbs me. Actively teaching a child to play "let's behead someone"? Is this the terrorist version of cops & robbers?

At four years old, their oldest was still young enough that they shouldn't have had to resort to playing beheading games to shield him from some knowledge of the family's plight. Even if the captors somehow conveyed the threat of beheading to the child in a way that he couldn't help but understand, the parents could have simply said "Sometimes people say things they don't mean to scare other people. That isn't going to happen to us. Good people are working very hard to bring us back home, and the bad people know that and won't hurt us so badly."

Perfect wording. Good parents always seek to reassure their children, not give them a totally false sense of power/security by teaching them that violence is appropriate or a game. And wouldn’t this also be an opportunity to teach their son different spiritual values that the Boyles presumably held? JMO

The more I think about this, the more it disturbs me. Actively teaching a child to play "let's behead someone"? Is this the terrorist version of cops & robbers?

I confess to playing cowboys and Indians as a child in the 1950s...bang, bang you’re dead. Cringe. :facepalm: And I’m sure the Boyles will portray their child’s game that way. But we were not captives being mistreated. It was a stupid game that we didn’t allow our daughter to play in the ‘70s. I don’t believe in fantasy killing games, so maybe I’m being overly sensitive? But they were dealing with the reality of potentially being beheaded, and to make a game out of doing it to someone else seems way off the mark to me.
JMO

JB matches every NPD trait on the list. It's apparent anytime he speaks. Narcissists do usually have above average intelligence and can portray (note portray!) sensitivity, warmth or "wearing their heart on their sleeve", such as the photo op with the son in the backyard. But it all relates back to them... The photo op was more attention, looks good to the public, "I'm such a great father teaching my child about the garden", etc.

This story gets more ridiculous with the Charles thing. How are children's aid not investigating? So the captors beat the child because he made noise, yet the parents taught him a chasing/beheading game? Because that's a real quiet game, I imagine. I think they made the idea of this game up, after they were released. Which makes them seem even more off base.

Anyone remember the balloon boy/dad story? JB reminds me slightly of balloon dad's narcissist traits. Only JB has worse/stronger traits.

One wonders if the oldest boy is seeing a counselor and if his memories are anywhere close to what his parents say.

Also, didn’t they talk in another interview about being in a house with a man named Mahmoud (?) who was kind to the children and brought the family things they needed? No mention of that in this latest interview (edited out or omitted?)

ETA: Reference to Mahmoud and better conditions in CC’s first interview...

“Then we were moved to the north of Miran Shah, to the house of a man who said he was called Mahmoud. He was very nice to Najaeshi and would provide us with amenities we wouldn’t have otherwise,” she said. “He would take Najaeshi out to get him sunlight and nobody else did that at any other point.”

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/...ficial-account-of-her-rescue-in-pakistan.html

I had to stop following this thread cuz it was getting me so mad but you got me when you mentioned Balloon Boy :laughing: I will never forget that one.

I had to stop following this thread cuz it was getting me so mad but you got me when you mentioned Balloon Boy :laughing: I will never forget that one.

Ugggg, Balloon Boy! That happened just down the road from here. I can't tell you how furious the community was with those people!!!

JB reminds me so much of Balloon boy's dad. I know completely different circumstances. But the same aftermath tendancies IMO.

Balloon boy fiasco is definitely a certain piece of history lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member