Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, Oct 2017 #2

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by Lilibet, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

Good points. Agreed. I think it’s quite likely that the second victim is one of his parents. I really hope he stays in jail for everyone’s sake. He is not stable. His claim of being a pacifist hippy is no longer valid. Here’s hoping CC is getting some counseling and help from her parents. I wonder if she’s still living in the apartment.

2. Loading...

3. Grace.212

Grace.212 New Member

You all could be right about one of his parents being a victim, but I think its one of the children. Just my gut feeling.

I do think one of the condition he will have if CC is a victim is a restraining order to keep away until after the trial. That may take up to 2 years. I cant see why she would would want to stay here in Canada with no family support. And she would have to find a job to support her family. Who would hire him?

4. Bellbaby

Bellbaby New Member

To be a surety in Canada, you need to post $$$ as well. And if the person doesn't follow the conditions, the surety will lose the $$$.

5. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Active Member

I believe the victims are CC and one of the children., my gut feeling also. (I have been following the tweets of one retired Ottawa lawyer that speaks pretty bluntly about this case)
    We have no proof that his parents have refused to bail him out or be his surety, all we know for sure is that he will spend another week in jail while details are worked out and he goes back to court on Jan 15.
    Perhaps one of the conditions of bail is counseling of some sort. CC has stated she hopes he gets the help he needs and his family has indicated their hope he gets counseling,

6. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Active Member

Not sure if this article was posted
    Hostage US was hired to help repatriate the family (well before JB was arrested)
    What is unusual is that Global Affairs Canada kept an interest in the family. usually the federal gov't role is very limited and services(health care, housing and financial aid) are handled by the Provincial and Municipal gov't

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/new...oshua-boyles-family-readjust/article37478440/ Jan 3, 2018

Federal government hired NGO to help former hostage Joshua Boyle’s family readjust

Global Affairs Canada's decision to work with the organization, known as Hostage US, was one of several forms of rare postcaptivity government assistance provided to the family in recent weeks, according to two sources with knowledge of the case. The contract with Hostage US includes referrals for counselling, financial advice and lawyers.

7. bears10

bears10 Well-Known Member

I feel like it’s actually her mom who’s the other victim. Based on my vague memory of previous posts saying her parents were in Canada.

His parents are clearly delusional, in denial, or just very loyal to their son. They stood by him when he married into a family with serious terroristic ties. The interviews with his parents and sisters during their “captivity” speaks volumes to me. I’m surprised his father even had a career in the judicial system considering his son married the sister of a Guantanamo detainee, the daughter of a man who was an al-queda associate or whatever you want to call him. Who financed this trip to the “safe stans?” Bc JB seemed to have a pretty mediocre job at a call center. I can’t help but consider his parents enablers, and the exact opposite of victims in this situation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Grace.212

Grace.212 New Member

9. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Active Member

10. lilacc

lilacc New Member

I agree it's just as likely to be one of the children, which could also explain any riff between JB and his parents. I feel so sorry for those kids. It made me really angry to read in one of the recent articles that JB said having children was a way to snub his nose at his captors. It's as if he sees them as possessions to be used, and not as vulnerable little human beings.

I really hope CC gets herself and the children away from him. imo he's a full blown narcissist, and I don't think therapy helps people like him change their ways. I'm sure he's looking forward to manipulating every professional he comes into contact with throughout his legal proceedings (maybe I should say "trying to manipulate", because JB certainly isn't as intelligent or "cunning" as he thinks he is).

11. Lilibet

:welcome: lilacc. I didn’t notice you were new when I replied to your first post. :)

I agree he’s a narcissist and possibly more. There’s no fix. I feel terribly sorry for the kids. I agree that CC needs to get out from under his “spell.” I hope that is possible. I’m sure she’s torn and confused, among other things.

12. mikkismom

mikkismom Active Member

According to NYT, the have been released. I don't know how to link.

Sent from my VS501 using Tapatalk

Thread #1

13. Lilibet

14. kmclaren

kmclaren Member

15. Snoopster

Snoopster Active Member

I'm thrilled that this couple and their children have been released.

I will just add that I am a tad skeptical about their original motives for being in Afghanistan. With Boyle having originally married Omar Khadr's sister, it gives me pause.

(BTW, I am actually an Omar K supporter due to his young age and his behaviour since his release. But his sister is a whole 'nother matter. She strikes me as a die-hard terrorist.)

16. dotr

dotr Active Member

http://www.cp24.com/world/joshua-boyle-says-his-child-was-murdered-wife-raped-while-in-captivity-1.3630696

17. dotr

dotr Active Member

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/boyle-coleman-former-captives-return-to-canada-1.4355358

18. Grace.212

Grace.212 New Member

If Caitlin decides to return home to her small town, to have help from her parents, she may not have the same support from the Muslim population as a larger city could offer her. Apparently she is very active in the Muslim homeschooling community here. Would there be a mosque close enough for her to worship in? A move back to her home town may isolate her more.

19. Intermezzo

Intermezzo Active Member

“God has given me and my family unparalleled resilience and determination, and to allow that to stagnate, to pursue personal pleasure or comfort while there is still deliberate and organized injustice in the world would be a betrayal of all I believe, and tantamount to sacrilege,” he wrote.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-wife-were-kidnapped-because-she-was-pregnant OCT 15,2017

Went back to earlier articles and photos and this statement just upset me so in light of the assault charges IMO
    There was that one photo in the above article that I mentioned in Thread 1 that made me sad the first time I saw it and still makes me sad at the way he is moving the little boy by the scruff of the neck

20. bears10

I wasn’t sure about the Muslim community in that area of PA but according to google, there is a mosque in York which is 30 min from Stewartstown. there’s also an Islamic society in Hanover, which would be about 40 min away, and a bunch of others that are about an hour away.

21. bears10

I’m sorry but those pics of him on his cell phone, “hiding” behind bushes while making direct eye contact with the person taking the pics, with that smug smirk on his face, makes my stomach turn. That smirk really really irks me. And it’s not just that set of pics. And I agree about the pic of him grabbing his son. It may be innocent, that the kids lost his balance and JB was catching him, but I doubt it. JMO