Canadian hostage, wife & children freed from Afghanistan, husband arrested for abuse, Oct 2017 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read that he is just as smug in his twitter posts.
I never "followed" their twitter account yet I went to it one day and found that I was blocked.

Didn't know he was actively searching for book and/or movie deals.

https://nypost.com/2018/01/06/the-p...mer-taliban-hostage-charged-with-sex-assault/ JAN 6, 2018

The puzzling case of a former Taliban hostage charged with sex assault

“They saw themselves as helpers of the poor all over the world,” said Denise Bukowski, a Toronto-based literary agent who told The Post she had been in talks with Boyle to represent him in a book and film deal before he was arrested earlier this month.

“He was very keen on making a film about his life,” she said, adding that she has corresponded with Boyle for weeks to discuss his future prospects. “But now, after the charges, I’m not sure what’s going to happen.”

He claims to have edited every Wikipedia entry on radical Islam.

Wow. I'm a newbie to this case and I didn't know just how open JB has been about his passion for radical Islam.

Also, reading that NY Post article made me sad for CC. Just as she was home-schooled in a religious household, so was I. When I went back to school I was completely disconnected from the real world and extremely naive. I'm worried about what kind of narrative JB created for her if this is similar to my upbringing.

MOO

I'm somewhat of a newbie of this case, partly angered, partly confused for things I'm not sure about.

I have a few questions: If they were "held hostage" (I have my own views on that), would they have been forced to convert to Islam? Why is CC all of a sudden practicing the habits of the Muslim faith? Was she FORCED to do so? Was she forced to do so by JB (considering he DID marry Omar's sister previously) ? Where they practicing the faith PRIOR to leaving?

I feel so sorry for CC. I believe she was highly influenced by JB. There is so much more to this story that I am really hoping comes out.

JMHO.

Wow. I'm a newbie to this case and I didn't know just how open JB has been about his passion for radical Islam.

Also, reading that NY Post article made me sad for CC. Just as she was home-schooled in a religious household, so was I. When I went back to school I was completely disconnected from the real world and extremely naive. I'm worried about what kind of narrative JB created for her if this is similar to my upbringing.

MOO

:welcome: sknikixel Your perspective is valuable. CC’s own family spoke of her as “naive” shortly after she disappeared, so I suspect that between homeschooling and interacting with JB as a teen on a Star Wars forum, she didn’t have a lot of opportunities to broaden her horizons. She did live with him for a few months in Toronto some time before he married into the Khadr family. She was in her mid-20s when they went traveling, married and traveled to the ‘stans. I don’t recall ever hearing if she went to college or worked or what before doing that.

I had not seen that video footage before either, just the photo.

None of the videos in that article will play for me. Maybe it’s an iPad thing? Can someone describe that one in more detail, please. :)

I'm somewhat of a newbie of this case, partly angered, partly confused for things I'm not sure about.

I have a few questions: If they were "held hostage" (I have my own views on that), would they have been forced to convert to Islam? Why is CC all of a sudden practicing the habits of the Muslim faith? Was she FORCED to do so? Was she forced to do so by JB (considering he DID marry Omar's sister previously) ? Where they practicing the faith PRIOR to leaving?

I feel so sorry for CC. I believe she was highly influenced by JB. There is so much more to this story that I am really hoping comes out.

JMHO.
BBM

Welcome to the thread! I believe other hostages have been released who have not converted to Islam, so I doubt JB and CC were forced to do so.

I find it hard to believe that JB could marry a Khadr and not have already converted. We have heard that JB had a prayer rug at the call center job he held shortly after he and CC married, so he had already converted or seemed to be converting. This was before they traveled to Afghanistan. But CC is wearing normal clothing while pregnant and carrying a backpack in one photo.

So, I suspect CC’s conversion happened while in Afghanistan under JB’s influence and pressure. He is a force to be reckoned with and I can imagine he convinced her to do so. That she is still wearing a hijab and involved in the Muslim homeschool community seems to indicate it is her continued choice. If she gets out from under JB’s “spell” it will be interesting to see what happens. But I’m not too optimistic about that happening, since he has been in her life since her teens on the Star Wars forum. He seems to be her “everything.”
JMO

None of the videos in that article will play for me. Maybe it’s an iPad thing? Can someone describe that one in more detail, please. :)

This is the photo
afp_te3sl.jpg

The video gives the before and after of the photo. He seems to want to take the little boy inside and/or away from the cameras and is holding his son by the scruff of the neck, the little boy stumbles along the way and JB still helps him along by grabbing the back of the shirt down by the waist. then as they start walking up the steps he moves his hand from the back and holds his son under the armpit, top of arm, as they walk.
JB seems to be holding a cellphone and I think I see him smile as we walks away with this son.

Here is the video, Hopefully this works
https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1073516611511/

The pregnancies and childbearing while in Afghanistan really disturb me. Although CC’s parents said early in their disappearance that her ultimate goal was to be a housewife and mother, I have a hard time with a woman who would think those circumstances were appropriate. That being said, there are women in the west who are forced/tricked into childbearing by controlling partners who see them as baby-makers and isolate them. How much easier to force this on a woman while in captivity and/or far away from family and friends. Having babies ties the woman to the man forever. Hmmmmmmm....

http://www.redbookmag.com/love-sex/relationships/advice/a12069/reproductive-control/

The upper arm grab is almost exclusively used by abusers or people with extremely poor parenting skills. If a teacher or childcare worker in my jurisdiction grabbed a child by the upper arm they would be disciplined/fired. Holding hands while walking side by side is much more appropriate. The upper arm grab and drag is very much a power differential signal - could you imagine grabbing your boss there, or your spouse during a normal walk in your backyard? Culturally in the past that type of abusive behaviour was tolerated; that JB felt comfortable exhibiting it in front of the cameras is certainly a "tell" of his parenting skills.

“God has given me and my family unparalleled resilience and determination, and to allow that to stagnate, to pursue personal pleasure or comfort while there is still deliberate and organized injustice in the world would be a betrayal of all I believe, and tantamount to sacrilege,” he wrote.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/local...-wife-were-kidnapped-because-she-was-pregnant OCT 15,2017

Went back to earlier articles and photos and this statement just upset me so in light of the assault charges IMO
There was that one photo in the above article that I mentioned in Thread 1 that made me sad the first time I saw it and still makes me sad at the way he is moving the little boy by the scruff of the neck

He disgusts me. He was happier when his wife was supposedly being beaten and raped? While his children were being supposedly beaten?? Send him back then.

This is the photo
View attachment 128548

The video gives the before and after of the photo. He seems to want to take the little boy inside and/or away from the cameras and is holding his son by the scruff of the neck, the little boy stumbles along the way and JB still helps him along by grabbing the back of the shirt down by the waist. then as they start walking up the steps he moves his hand from the back and holds his son under the armpit, top of arm, as they walk.
JB seems to be holding a cellphone and I think I see him smile as we walks away with this son.

Here is the video, Hopefully this works
https://globalnews.ca/video/rd/1073516611511/

The photographer seems to be hiding across the road and behind a car to get this footage. I find it very inappropriate that they would secretly film a child like this. When JB spots the photographer, he seems in a hurry to usher his child indoors away from the camera.

The photographer was not hiding, they were on the neighbour's driveway across the street (kind of kitty-corner) and there was a group of about ten media permanently set up with media vans etc. GlobalNews is MSM, they don't hide their photographers. The media had been outside the house for a few days so JB saw/knew about them. (I thought it was odd JB used the public side yard instead of the more private backyard, but that was his choice)

It must have been awkward for the Boyles, and speaks to media intrusion in our lives, but they were not paparazzi trying to catch JB in a "gotcha".

JMHO.

IIRC from the first few articles, JB was supposedly a practicing Brethren before they went to the “stans.” I’ll see if I can find it, if anyone knows differently please correct me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC from the first few articles, JB was supposedly a practicing Brethren before they went to the “stans.” I’ll see if I can find it, if anyone knows differently please correct me.

You are correct. This info was about JB at work in 2012 or earlier, prior to leaving on their trip.

Co-workers said he had converted or was converting to Islam, according to a 2013 news release issued by Terry Ritchie, then the mayor of Perth-Andover, during the couple’s captivity.
“Josh kept a prayer rug rolled up in the basement of the call centre where he was an employee for less than a year,” Ritchie wrote. “He was given special breaks from his job as a customer service representative to pray at appropriate times,” co-workers say.

http://nationalpost.com/feature/joshua-boyle

The photographer seems to be hiding across the road and behind a car to get this footage. I find it very inappropriate that they would secretly film a child like this. When JB spots the photographer, he seems in a hurry to usher his child indoors away from the camera.

I disagree. I would not be surprised if JB set it up with the photog. He (smugly) looked directly at the camera multiple times. He knew the photog was there imo

He disgusts me. He was happier when his wife was supposedly being beaten and raped? While his children were being supposedly beaten?? Send him back then.

BBM

Does anyone know if there is any chance JB can be tried for treason under the Canadian government, and deported?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow