Canadian man uses iPad to enter US

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by ~n/t~, Jan 4, 2012.

1. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

2. Loading...

3. otto

otto Verified Expert

It's rather amusing. The US has been somewhat critical of customs in other countries, yet to enter the US all one needs is an electronic copy of a passport - something that can never be validated.

4. Kat

Kat Kind words do not cost much

He didn't enter just on a scanned copy of his passport on his Ipad from what I can tell.

5. redheadedgal

redheadedgal Active Member

statement today from the dept. of homeland security:

Washington - The assertion that a traveler was admitted into the U.S. using solely a scanned image of his passport on an iPad is categorically false. In this case, the individual had both a driver's license and birth certificate, which the CBP officer used to determine identity and citizenship in order to admit the traveler into the country.

http://cbp.gov/xp/cgov/newsroom/news_releases/national/01042012_2.xml

btw, i frequently cross the border @ detroit and since they absolutely do require a passport or other authorized doc -which it sounds like this guy didn't have- i honestly don't know how he got through. canadians were told to have and use a passport b/c it was required by US law now.

6. ~n/t~

~n/t~ New Member

yes it's absolutely mandatory to have a passport to and from the US and Canada. I don't think it was right call by the CBP officer to let this guy get through, imo. They made passports MANDATORY for a reason.

Luckily, he isn't a terrorist and all worked out fine but it's the what if that's scary.