Casey Anthony's Attorney Yanks Facebook Photos

Status
Not open for further replies.
[/U][/COLOR]We always appreciate your feedback or other suggestions about Facebook, but you understand that we may use them without any obligation to compensate you for them (just as you have no obligation to offer them). [/I]
http://www.facebook.com/terms.php

SOMEbody didn't read the terms of service! Amazing.

Which on the OT - if you're a parent or a grandparent of a child of a Facebook account, or considering it - you may want to read the tos. If your child is 13, you have no control over your child's account. Facebook says so.

MIND YOU THIS, his copyright gripe pales in comparison to what he should be far more focused on, IMO. The state wants to take his client's life and thus far he has been such an incompetent lawyer (my opinion) that he is slowly becoming Casey's executioner... now his attention is moving further away from saving his client by going for blood and seeking court action over snapshots. HELLO... there is an easy solution: have a formal DMCA takedown notice sent to the image snatchers. Simple, to the point, no need to create court drama. Of course, if the person ignores a DMCA takedown notice then they deserve whatever trouble comes out of it... simple as that.

Oh and let me say this about the image collage someone did of him, using his facebook pics: unless he took that pic of himself, the person that took his picture is the one with the copyright gripe, not him. He can't claim copyright on images he didn't take...

He is going for drama if he is really hiring a lawyer to go after bloggers using his pics... like I said, this can be fixed by him with a simple DMCA takedown notice... no drama needed.

BBM
That is exactly what I believe he is doing...going for the Drama, another reason for Baez to go seek out the Media and bring more attention to himself.:twocents:

I don't believe for a second he did not know about the PRIVACY settings on Facebook...Baez IMO CHOSE NOT to set his account to Private :twocents:

Intellectual property rights.

Ahhh, I get it now.That explains everything. lol

This isn't a direct facebook issue... it's an issue of people taking stuff off of his Facebook account and posting it. That still violates his rights as the owner of the images. The TOS says straight up that YOU own your content... Facebook just gets to use the IP content that goes along with what you upload.

BBM
That is exactly what I believe he is doing...going for the Drama, another reason for Baez to go seek out the Media and bring more attention to himself.:twocents:

I don't believe for a second he did not know about the PRIVACY settings on Facebook...Baez IMO CHOSE NOT to set his account to Private :twocents:

I agree... I can imagine he is eating this up, that we are all sitting around discussing it. LoL

Alright kiddos, lets get this out of the way: do not be fooled into thinking that just because a piece of work, like a picture, is put in the public arena that it is fair game and without merit of a copyright. Since January 1, 1978 when you produce something (like a photo) it is under automatic copyright protection. Also on his side: he can register a copyright with the gov't, as extra proof of ownership, up to 5 years after the publication of his images (say, on facebook), so he can fight someone in court. As a matter of fact, if he registers the images within the first 3 months of putting the images out there, the image snatcher can be made to pay the attorney fees of the plaintiff.

Sorry guys... Baez has a legitimate gripe in this fight...

http://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ1.pdf

The problem is every time he logs into FB he is "signing" a contract (TOS) that allows for the public use of his photos based on his privacy settings. In the FB tos it states very clearly that others may use material posted on your FB if you have it set to "everyone". FB then goes on to state that tools are provided to you to protect your copyrighted material. Those "tools" are the privacy settings. So by having his privacy settings set to everyone JB would be placing the material into public domain with out copyright protection based on the TOS for FB.

This has actually been a big gripe with FB for a long time and is rather well known.

http://www.facebook.com/terms.php?ref=pf
Some samplings from the TOS:

For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos ("IP content"), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook ("IP License"). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

When you publish content or information using the "everyone" setting, it means that you are allowing everyone, including people off of Facebook, to access and use that information, and to associate it with you (i.e., your name and profile picture).

We will provide you with tools to help you protect your intellectual property rights. (this is the privacy settings)

So in essence JB has given permission for his pictures to be used by the way he set his privacy settings. He will lose this civil suite IMHO.

I agree... I can imagine he is eating this up, that we are all sitting around discussing it. LoL

Well now that they are awake and dressed, I'm off with the kids..so I won't be sitting around discussing...Now what was that guys name with a Facebook account that had his privacy setting set to "Everyone" instead of Private?????

BBM

BBM

Well he did not know that phone calls from prison were recorded. :D

It's not as though anyone actually profited from the use of his photos.
Who in their right mind would actually want to pay Money for them?
He better stick to what he knows least about , representing his client,
lest he become famous for his lack of knowledge of civil law too.
Wow, how many "Lawyer that knows the least about law" awards does he want?

Karma for those who broker a deal to sell pictures of a dead child to make money for legal expenses for the person charged with the murder. Just a guess, I could be wrong. jmo

It must have occurred to him he hasn't done anything to show his incompetency in awhile. Never ceases to amaze me this goof is "practicing" law.

I agree it's just some smoke and mirrors for something coming down soon.

BBM

Well he did not know that phone calls from prison were recorded. :D

Well, aren't we learning that what Baez very conveniently doesn't want to know, he doesn't know?

That's his MO - " I did not know that!"

I'm just not convinced "Not clear on the concept" and "Lawyer" are a good match.

Why don't men ever just read the directions for pete's sake (re: Facebook)!!!

ETA: No offense to those men who do actually take the time and read instructions, terms of agreement, service, etc.!! :angel:

Well, aren't we learning that what Baez very conveniently doesn't want to know, he doesn't know?

That's his MO - " I did not know that!"

I'm just not convinced "Not clear on the concept" and "Lawyer" are a good match.

LOL!

Do not forget the ever useful 'I don't remember'.

BBM

I haven't seen the pics, but if they are really of him on GR's boat, this is a totally "look at me" moment. He WANTS people to know he has fb pics with GR and him.

I do not have FB myself. My children do and I know very little about it but enough to know that whatever you put on internet is pretty much out there. Anyone can get at it given the right circumstances. He is a public image and what jury would find favor for him when they hear what he did with Caylee's pictures? jmo

I'm just eternally grateful it wasn't a picture of Baez in a Speedo......

It must have occurred to him he hasn't done anything to show his incompetency in awhile. Never ceases to amaze me this goof is "practicing" law.

I agree it's just some smoke and mirrors for something coming down soon.

When you say "in awhile" are you talking about this week?????

I haven't seen the pics, but if they are really of him on GR's boat, this is a totally "look at me" moment. He WANTS people to know he has fb pics with GR and him.

There's video of it on the Fox news website. That's when JB told Casey he was going up to NY to do "some business" very early in the case.
Geraldo showed the video on his show and went on about how gorgeous JB's young wife was.

There's video of it on the Fox news website. That's when JB told Casey he was going up to NY to do "some business" very early in the case.
Geraldo showed the video on his show and went on about how gorgeous JB's young wife was.

And is her name "Trophy?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member