Casey appeals her 4 Lying to LE convictions

Lol, this is to delay, delay, delay those depositions even longer. Have to come up with something that is not incriminating for those, yet evasive. Haven't had time to conjure that up yet.

IDK about Florida, but if it is just misdemeanor appeals, that will give them about a month, maybe a week or 2 more. If felony convictions, that could take up to 2 years if it involves writing briefs to the Court of Appeals, and then the Supreme Court, at least here it would.

This is my transcription from the end of the sentencing hearing:

The Court sentences you to 1 year in jail - imposing a $1,000 fine on each count - all 4 counts to run consecutive to each other - giving you credit for the time that you have previously served. JB, CM - we are going to spend some time this morning figuring out her credit for time served and it's going to take us probably about an hour to sort it out due to the previous sentences she has been given, but with the good time and gain time, depending on preliminary figures, some time early August, late July, but I can't say that until I determine time served, and then the jail has to apply their good time and gain time that she has gained in this. So, if you want to wait around - and if you have a different figure, then we can get that taken care of.

I will reserve jurisdiction for 60 days to determine the cost of investigation.

LDB: Wants to set hearing - any time after 30 days.

CM: Want to see the invoices and check the validity.

LDB: She should have all the documentation within her suggested time frame.

HHJBP: Week of August 29? 25th or 26th.

LDB: Thursday the 25th. Don't know ICA's status at that time. Does Defense want to waive her presence.

HHJBP: She can waive her appearance or she can come.

CM: It would be our intention to waive.

HHJBP: I would also impose the statutory court costs. ICA - you have a right to appeal. If you can't afford an attorney, the court will appoint one. Do you wish to appeal?

JB conferring with ICA.

JB: We would like to reserve our right.

HHJBP: You have 30 days to file an appeal. Does she have the financial where with all to file appeal?

JB: No.

HHJBP: She will need to fill out an affidavit of insolvency. An untimely notice of appeal is a forfeit of her right. It is your responsibility to file the appropriate paperwork before you are relieved of your responsibility in this case.

Court in recess.

Rediculous......if these appeals goes through!
Evil........I am so disappointed in the court system in Fla.

That's what I don't understand. Her own defense attorney admitted in court that she is a LIAR.

I haven't read the appeal but I assume it is based on the argument DCS made in court, that it is a violation of double jeopardy .... that the four lies were actually part of one big lie/interview, and should have been one count (maybe two?). Not saying I agree (and neither did HHJP).

More interested in knowing what can be gained by an appeal, since she is due out Sunday. Can she be compensated financially somehow if found to have served more jail time than necessary?

Because of the suits and upcoming filings against her, she will be able to keep from testifying - is this the reason?

That's my take... delay, delay, delay.

This may put a crimp in her interview plans (if any) though :)

none of this makes any sense to me. If you're going to appeal ANYTHING? Appeal all charges. The felonies which will hurt you more in the long run than any misdemeanor. Only to stall a civil case? I'm quitting my job so I don't have to continue paying for this. grrrrrr

She is appealing these convictions because it keeps her from having to give her deposition to John Morgan. She didn't file these expecting them to be reversed, she filed them to delay the depositions.

~jmo~

Go Go Gadget Lawyers!

(and she'll skip)

Sorry - I corrected the thread name. It was not the felony convictions she is appealing. I am just so mad right now - I can't think straight!:banghead:

LG gets up this morning, staggers to the computer, still pretty weary from 2 months of trial watching, reads the first newstory - appealing lying to LE convictions, says Huh??? And then - Oh I get it - and checks the date - hmmm, now even more confusing - it isn't April 1st, it is July 15th, so that's not it.

WTH??? :waitasec: This is a joke, right?

Any chance she could lose and get a higher sentence on each charge? Edited to say - WHAT? Arguing the check charges?? Hey do we get to see that unusual grief counsellor again?

It would be great if all of these have to be held in Perry's court even though they are probably not going to be.

so is she saying the jury got it 1/2 wrong? cause i'm fairly certain folks would agree with her on that part.

The wesh article says it is the 4 misdemeanors. Guess we will wait to see what gets set for this. Wish I knew more about Florida Laws and procedures.

I haven't read the appeal but I assume it is based on the argument DCS made in court, that it is a violation of double jeopardy .... that the four lies were actually part of one big lie/interview, and should have been one count (maybe two?). Not saying I agree (and neither did HHJP).

More interested in knowing what can be gained by an appeal, since she is due out Sunday. Can she be compensated financially somehow if found to have served more jail time than necessary?
This is what I believe as well. If she wins on appeal, I would imagine the next step is suing the state of Florida for wrongful imprisonment, which would lead to compensation by the state.

Whew - at least Rodgrigues stepped aside - I had serious concerns about him - I didn't think he handled the last Morgan depos with the Anthonys well at all! He reminded me a lot of Judge Larry...

This is my transcription from the end of the sentencing hearing:

The Court sentences you to 1 year in jail - imposing a $1,000 fine on each count - all 4 counts to run consecutive to each other - giving you credit for the time that you have previously served. JB, CM - we are going to spend some time this morning figuring out her credit for time served and it's going to take us probably about an hour to sort it out due to the previous sentences she has been given, but with the good time and gain time, depending on preliminary figures, some time early August, late July, but I can't say that until I determine time served, and then the jail has to apply their good time and gain time that she has gained in this. So, if you want to wait around - and if you have a different figure, then we can get that taken care of.

I will reserve jurisdiction for 60 days to determine the cost of investigation.

LDB: Wants to set hearing - any time after 30 days.

CM: Want to see the invoices and check the validity.

LDB: She should have all the documentation within her suggested time frame.

HHJBP: Week of August 29? 25th or 26th.

LDB: Thursday the 25th. Don't know ICA's status at that time. Does Defense want to waive her presence.

HHJBP: She can waive her appearance or she can come.

CM: It would be our intention to waive.

HHJBP: I would also impose the statutory court costs. ICA - you have a right to appeal. If you can't afford an attorney, the court will appoint one. Do you wish to appeal?

JB conferring with ICA.

JB: We would like to reserve our right.

HHJBP: You have 30 days to file an appeal. Does she have the financial where with all to file appeal?

JB: No.

HHJBP: She will need to fill out an affidavit of insolvency. An untimely notice of appeal is a forfeit of her right. It is your responsibility to file the appropriate paperwork before you are relieved of your responsibility in this case.

Court in recess.
Her 30 days have been up! Caey & Baez is trying to make a fool out of our Justice system. It has to stop, but what can be done. This is so sad.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23
Back