Cat Shaving Bandit

Discussion in 'Bizarre and Off-Beat News' started by Wyle_E_Coyote, May 7, 2017.

1. Wyle_E_Coyote

Wyle_E_Coyote Well-Known Member

2. Loading...

3. fred&edna

fred&edna Well-Known Member

4. Indy Anna

Indy Anna Well-Known Member

Strange. Someone must be travelling the world shaving cats. Just look for someone whose face has been scratched to smithereens.

5. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

there are some psychos out there shaving cats to sell them as sphinx or hairless cats

these ones escaped apparently

6. Indy Anna

But, some of the cats have been taken and shaved 2 or 3 times. Why would someone keep taking the same cats if they keep escaping? I wonder if any domestic cats in the areas where those cats live have disappeared and not returned?

7. mom2four717

mom2four717 Well-Known Member

Oddly enough.........we have a kitty who we have suspected of being shaved!?!
    We are about 3 hours north of the Virginia location. If Emmett is not being shaved he has a bizarre feline hair loss pattern at 3 years old. He doesn't have a skin disorder. Its always his tummy and part of both outer thighs. All very symmetrical and tidy.
    Very peculiar.....

8. mom2four717

At the risk of sounding like I am raising future tummy shavers, my kids think it's a hoot to look for our cats and dogs "belly buttons".

9. Indy Anna

Someone would be spoiling the fun of looking for the "belly button" by shaving their tummies. :)

Can you be sure it isn't a skin condition--like contact dermatitis? Just curious.

10. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

it's happened more than once?!

11. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

sorry I probably didn't read the article but why would someone keep letting their cat outside unsupervised after it happened once?

12. Gunslinging Granny

Gunslinging Granny Well-Known Member

That first cat's photo shows an incision line where it had surgery. It still has a stain of that orange disinfectant stuff that vets use. I think this story is untrue.

13. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

if someone is doing it repeatedly to the same cats, they are a psychopath experimenting and it won't be long before they start cutting and burning the cats, breaking limbs, and worse

14. hec60504

hec60504 New Member

This seems like fake news to me, sorry.

15. LadyL

LadyL Well-Known Member

which one? I didn't see that

16. Indy Anna

I wondered the same, but I once knew a family who lived in a townhouse and had a cat that would somehow get outside although they tried to keep him inside. If someone opened the door, he would make a bound for it and "fly" out the door; otherwise, they thought he must be getting out through the attic. Some cats, no matter how much a person tries to domesticate them, are natural outdoor cats, IMO.

17. Indy Anna

Yes, I did go back and look and saw the incision line and a small tinge of orange. If the cat recently had surgery, of course it would be shaved in that area. Aha! The vet did it! :)

18. mom2four717

I'm trying to upload a picture of our kitty.
    Stand by, I feel like a Geezer. received_10211202142461942.jpg
    received_10211202138021831.jpg

Both sides are very tidy and match. No skin irritation or loss on other parts of his cute body.This is the second time he has come home with a new hair style.

19. Indy Anna

That is a very odd pattern of hair loss. But, it would be the areas in contact with a surface he was sitting on, so it might be contact dermatitis or a plant allergy. IDK.

Here are some possible causes of hair loss in cats: http://www.petmd.com/cat/conditions/skin/c_ct_alopecia

And a slide show to help ID cause: http://pets.webmd.com/cats/ss/slideshow-skin-problems-in-cats

It would be best, of course, to get a diagnosis from a vet who can begin treatment for a skin condition/allergy, or verify that someone is shaving your cat.

Best wishes.

20. mom2four717

He is due for a visit to the vet.