~*~ Caylee's Law ~*~

Discussion in 'Caylee Anthony 2 years old' started by Kavya01, Jul 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MissJames

MissJames a yellowflutterby changed my life : )

Maybe they need a reminder.

2. fifteen89

fifteen89 New Member

Just saw a facebook post about how Caylee's law is "so confusing and could totally get someone screwed over......how can you possibly know if your child died? unless you do it yourself, which in that case i don't think you'll be calling to report them dead or missing. there needs to be more thought on the broader spectrum of this law before it is passed by ANY legislature."

Trust me, this is not my facebook post. I read "how can you possibly know if your child died? unless you do it yourself, which in that case i don't think you'll be calling to report them dead or missing." and thought wow. Part of the point of Caylee's law is just that - so there's a way to charge the Casey Anthony's of the world with a felony even if decomposition has caused the loss of any forensic evidence that would otherwise be available to LE if the death were reported in a timely manner.

Please talk to people and make sure they understand the point of this.

3. MaureenN

MaureenN New Member

Not sure if this has been brought up in the thread, yet (have read a few pages, but it's so long!).

My first hesitation regarding this law was that I didn't want to give Casey any more attention. Every time she hears about this law being passed, used, discussed, she's going to feel special & important. She's going to feel famous. She may feel victimized, but in a way that makes her content & justified.

It's a good idea to have something in place that makes parents/caregivers take responsibility for the children in their care. But, I wish it wasn't something that gave Casey any more feelings of self-worth or that even nodded to the possibility that the far-fetched accidental drowning/abusive father coverup/twisted meter-reader body-hiding story was true & that Casey was just a broken victim in all of this.

4. eileenhawkeye

eileenhawkeye Well-Known Member

I really hope that people who are signing this petition aren't emotional and hysterical while doing so. :maddening: (Or was that the sarcasm part?) You shouldn't be signing a petition just because "I have to do this for Caylee!". No, you should think about how this law will affect 300 million Americans. I have a feeling that people would sign anything as long as it was called "Caylee's Law".

5. ColdDayIn

ColdDayIn Well-Known Member

Yesterday, I saw on the national news that of the 14 states trying to pass this law, Tennessee was not one of them! I couldn't believe that!! Booo!

So I e-mailed my state senators and representatives. After I e-mailed them, I e-mailed both of my local news stations and wrote a letter about Caylee's Law, how TN was not included in the states considering, 1 million+ people have signed, etc. and that I would like them to run a short story about Caylee's Law, urging people to contact our lawmakers.

From one news station I got back a response from one of the news anchors about how they had been in contact with one of our state rep. and he is trying to draft a bill to be presented in January and they were going to continue covering this. She also said "You are among many frustrated viewers who would like to see something positive come out of this tragedy."

The other news station told me it was a great idea and they would run the story tonight or in the near future and thanked me.

Anyway, just thought I would share in case anybody needs some ideas to try to get the ball rolling in your state!

PS- I will die if ICA decides to hide in TN :|

6. ColdDayIn

Wow. I just saw your post after i posted. I wondered why TN wasn't included with all of the other southern states when the national news was talking about which states were bringing this law forward. I am going to forward that magazine article to my newschannel.

I found this quote interesting from the article “When we file the bill and get feedback on it, we’ll get an idea of whether it’s needed or not,” he said.

Apparently, they must not be receiving enough feedback at this point, so they need more before the bill is filed so it's a moot point??

7. whiteangora

whiteangora I'm on the right track baby. I was "Born This Way"

Thanks. I've been gathering some articles and contacting local political parties. There is no good reason not to have such a law.
    It sure is a disgrace to our present day society when you need a LAW to be sure people report a missing child.

8. Omachka

Omachka Member

Respectfully clipped since I think we've covered all that in other posts and must agree to disagree on those points. I disagree that this law wouldn't have amounted to a "hill of beans" in this case. Casey wouldn't be getting out of jail on Sunday if it had been in place. As for all our overburdened LE, innocent parents and taxpayers... who do you think those million signers are? I can tell you that many of my LE friends feel exactly as I do and all that I've spoken to have signed the petition. They feel more overburdened by people they arrest getting out of jail on technicalities and then having to "babysit them" (their words not mine).

I respect your opinion and your right to make it known but those of us who believe differently also have a right to their opinion without being accused of running on pure irrational emotion. I will admit that this case has tugged on me since the very beginning but I can assure you, I didn't run off screaming to sign the first thing I saw with Caylee's name on it. This law makes sense to me and I was totally surprised that it wasn't already on the books.

In the meantime, if you do think of something that could be passed that would help protect children, please let me know. I'd be happy to help if it's something that's needed. Children's rights should always come first since they are dependent on their parents for protection.

9. ColdDayIn

Would you mind sharing the articles you have gathered up? I just e-mailed back my local news station, and I am getting ready to e-mail the Tennessean. I am also going to write to our newspaper editor. When I read the Tennessean article, it infuriated me. As I said in my e-mail to our news anchor--It's this kind of reporting that leads people to believe that this is what the majority of people believe, which I do not think is the case, and makes people back off the issue (especially those that do not have internet access or have jobs that do not allow them the time to do their own research).

I also cited the case of Lauryn Dickens in my e-mail in argument to this not happening in TN.

Maybe with you being on the extreme west end of our state, and me being on the extreme east end of our state, between the 2 of us, we can push this along even farther!

10. MissJames

Yes that was the sarcastic part ,since that is was some who oppose it are suggesting.

My husband and I were foster parents for a total of 17 years ( we took a break because we had adopted 2 of them and at that time they ,and our older 3 ,needed all of our attention)
    I took care of the ones that lived ,broken and damaged . Again,I make no apologies for my passion or my anger and yes I'm doing this for Caylee and for ALL THE CAYLEE's

11. MissJames

:skip: Thank You!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

12. MissJames

I'd like to add that the fake scenario that ICA stuck with ,right up to the opening statement, wasted an enormous amount of LEO's time,taxpayer's money and community resources.
    For the sake of argument ,let's say this was an accident. Maybe with a law like this in place Casey (or George :rolleyes: ) would have been facing tougher charges by NOT reporting it. Perhaps ,given their choices ,they would not have hidden an accident.
    BTW ,as I noted in another thread, during a June 24th sidebar HHJP and the DT refer to the OS as a THEORY of what MAY HAVE happened . The jurors took it as the truth .

13. MissJames

Eventually Casey will be a distant memory ,but we'll always be reminded of Caylee,the victim. JMO I do understand your reasoning,but I actually think it will infuriate ICA that Caylee is getting the attention.
    I'll never forget the phone call when she said "all they want is to find Caylee"

14. legalmania

legalmania Verified Paralegal

I just can't see this happening. People wanted something like this since O.J. Not only is it double jeopardy but you can't go back and prosecute someone on an old law. Let's say the law was passed today, people from yesterday are immune from the new law.

15. ColdDayIn

Ok. Update. I e-mailed The Tennessean magazine, regarding their idiotic article. I already received a response from the man that wrote the article, and had to laugh at how asinine it was. He must be about 8 years old? Anyhow, I am glad I didn't just e-mail him, but also e-mailed several other people in different departments, with the same e-mail. I am going to take some time to collect my thoughts before I write back. Here is my e-mail and his response:

His response:

PS- If any fellow Tennesseans feel the same, please don't hesitate to write also. For that matter...even if you don't live in TN.

16. rotterdam

rotterdam New Member

From my PA state rep:

Thank you for the email regarding this horrible situation of Caylee Anthony. I would certainly think as a parent that another parent who would not report their child’s disappearance and/or death is beyond despicable and should be dealt with in a serious manner. We do in Pennsylvania have a law under title 18 the Crimes Code § 4303 Concealing the death of child is an offense which is a misdemeanor of the first degree, which would involve jail time. But that involves the death of a child but does not address the disappearance of a child. Therefore, I am sure that many representatives are rushing to write legislation regarding the non-reporting of the disappearance of a child from a guardian or a care taker. I will certainly select what I feel is the most well written piece of legislation regarding Caylee’s Law and will sign my name to it as a co-sponsor. Hopefully something like this could become law this year. We will hope and pray for this.

Thank you for the email,

Dan

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dan Moul
    STATE REPRESENTATIVE
    91st Legislative District
    G-32 Irvis Office Building
    Gettysburg: 717-334-3010
    Harrisburg: 717-783-5217

17. downport

downport Member

Michele Chowder (sp?) the originator of Caylee's Law was just interviewed on HLN.

18. ColdDayIn

That's Awesome!!! Go YOU & PA!!!

19. MissJames

As she was live on the air just now,JVM said the petition had almost half a million signatures :maddening:

As of right now it's up to 1,168,126 :woohoo::woohoo:

20. MargotKidder

MargotKidder New Member

There is nothing going on in the Tennessee Legislature because they are not in session. It is a part time legislature that only meets every year from January until May. It has been like that for as long as I can remember.

The public defender in the article was from Nashville. Lauryn Dickens was from Memphis, so I would assume that she would not have heard of her case.

I am a Tennessean against this law. It is not logical and makes no sense to me. And if we have a provision for a special session of the legislature in our system of law, I see no reason to call one just for this. I am for laws that help children, but I am not for a law that would potentially punish good and hard-working parents.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.