Cell Phone/Driving Horror Story

Niner said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: is RIGHT!! geez... good thing I don't own a cell phone! Solves THAT problem!! :p
Actually, everyone should have a cell phone. If your car breaks down and you are all alone at night, it is nice to have a phone to be able to call for help.
Or if you are lost. I've had several occasions where I was so glad I had a cell phone. You don't have to use it while driving but it's good to have one in a car. Even insurance companies encourage that.

CyberLaw said:
Now I am not a Doctor, nor Brain Surgeon, but it has to do with the function of the brain and how a "conversation" with a passenger differs from a "conversation" on a cell phone. How the brain processes and "reacts" to each.........

Please note: Phone conversations have been shown to cause a cognitive distraction in drivers. In other words, the driver's brain is intensely engaged with the conversation, although he may appear to be paying attention to the road.

The only difference is that your hands are free. The only safe way to have a "phone conversation" while you are driving is to pull over to the side of the road. Concentrate on the conversation, and not on the driving. Or not answer the phone and concentrate on driving and not a conversation.

It has been shown, by doing both, you have a four times higher chance of having an accident. It should be noted also, that if you are having an angry conversation, your driving will relflect that. You will be a lot more agressive.......and the cognitive distraction increases significantly.

A Father and his daughter were at a level train crossing. There would be some sort of "warning" of a train approaching. The man did not pay attention as he was having a "conversation" with some one on his cell phone. I don't have to tell you the rest........

A women and her 4 year old son were driving in a "difficult" rural area, in weather that was not ideal. In this area, you have to grab the steering wheel and drive extremely slow and carefully as it is winding and snowy. The extra hazzard is that this road is winding beside a lake. You need 110% attention. The women was on her cell phone.........I don't have to tell you the rest.

It did not matter if hands free were used, or not, just the fact that "their" mind was on a conversation and not on the road was enough............it is extremely sad to think of what happened to them and that it could have been prevented. Especially the kids........

So in conclusion is it not the "method" of having the conversation, it is the conversation itself.

I even find this "when I am on the phone at home" and doing other things, like when I go to check dinner and find I put dinner in the oven, but did not turn the oven on. My mind was on the "conversation"..........
Do you have any statistics that show how many accidents have involved cell phone talking?
Because I see people driving down the road everyday and 4 out of 5 people are talking on cell phones, including me.
I've never had an accident, I use my blinkers, wear my seatbelt and drive better than some people I see on the road who don't use blinkers, speed and have road rage.

I don't see many accidents around me, so I would guess that talking on a cell phone does not cause THAT many accidents or I would be seeing one pretty much every few minutes.

Harvard study finds economic cost of cell phone accidents equals benefit of calls on the road

Harvard researchers estimate about one in 20 U.S. traffic accidents involve a driver talking on a cell phone, but say laws banning cellular phone use while driving would cost society about as much as they would save. Data on the number of crashes caused by cell phones is incomplete, said the study released Monday by the Harvard Center for Risk Analysis. But it suggested that drivers talking on their phones are responsible for about 6 percent of U.S. auto accidents each year, killing an estimated 2,600 people and injuring 330,000 others.

...The Harvard study found that a cell phone user has about 13 chances in 1 million of being killed in an accident while making a call; that compares with 49 in 1 million for someone driving without a seat belt.

Other drivers and pedestrians have about four chances in 1 million of dying in an accident caused by a cell phone user, according to the study. Their chance of being killed by a drunken driver is more than four times as high -- 18 in a million.

The statistics are based on an average cell phone owner using 600 minutes a year.

Harvard's statistics update a center study released two years ago that estimated the chance of being killed while driving and talking on a cell phone were about six in a million and 1.5 in a million for other people on the road.

More: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2002/12/02/financial1113EST0084.DTL

In conclusion, I think people have more of a chance of being injured by a family member in domestic violence than being hurt by a person talking on a cell phone while driving. I think this whole thing gets blown out of proportion by people making assumptions about what they think is right and wrong because they do or do not do it.

For the record: I don't talk on the cell phone all the time in my car :) Just when I feel it's safe to do so. If the road is icy or there's a lot of traffic with slow downs and I'm trying to find a place, I won't talk on the phone. I just do so mostly on routes I'm familar with, sometimes on the highway when there's light traffic, if I'm stopped at stop lights or on long drives when I am bored and feel like dozing off!

I think I'm a responsible driver. Not perfect, but responsible.
I do some things that aren't "compliant" such as go a few miles or so over the speed limit when I'm running late. A lot of people do, doesn't make it ok to do so. But knock on wood, I've never caused an accident or been in one. I almost was the other day when I was really tired and NOT on the phone and traffic came to a dead stop and I slammed on the brakes. I had to swerve in the other lane and luckily no one was there. I was on some cold medicine and was drowsy and had to get up early for a meeting before work. Needless to say my heart was pounding.
That's not my typical driving style.

I think people get into their cars thinking they don't want to cause an accident, so most people I would hope can manage what distractions they have. Yes, there are those few who do not. But it's not fair to blame everyone because a few people may drive poorly or have an accident. You may never know what exactly caused that accident. It might not have ben the cell phone after all. A simple sneeze can make you close your eyes.
A spider scared the heck out of me once.

Blanket, general statements just don't apply to everyone.

CyberLaw said:
Now I am not a Doctor, nor Brain Surgeon, but it has to do with the function of the brain and how a "conversation" with a passenger differs from a "conversation" on a cell phone. How the brain processes and "reacts" to each.........

Please note: Phone conversations have been shown to cause a cognitive distraction in drivers. In other words, the driver's brain is intensely engaged with the conversation, although he may appear to be paying attention to the road.

The only difference is that your hands are free. The only safe way to have a "phone conversation" while you are driving is to pull over to the side of the road. Concentrate on the conversation, and not on the driving. Or not answer the phone and concentrate on driving and not a conversation.

It has been shown, by doing both, you have a four times higher chance of having an accident. It should be noted also, that if you are having an angry conversation, your driving will relflect that. You will be a lot more agressive.......and the cognitive distraction increases significantly.

A Father and his daughter were at a level train crossing. There would be some sort of "warning" of a train approaching. The man did not pay attention as he was having a "conversation" with some one on his cell phone. I don't have to tell you the rest........

A women and her 4 year old son were driving in a "difficult" rural area, in weather that was not ideal. In this area, you have to grab the steering wheel and drive extremely slow and carefully as it is winding and snowy. The extra hazzard is that this road is winding beside a lake. You need 110% attention. The women was on her cell phone.........I don't have to tell you the rest.

It did not matter if hands free were used, or not, just the fact that "their" mind was on a conversation and not on the road was enough............it is extremely sad to think of what happened to them and that it could have been prevented. Especially the kids........

So in conclusion is it not the "method" of having the conversation, it is the conversation itself.

I even find this "when I am on the phone at home" and doing other things, like when I go to check dinner and find I put dinner in the oven, but did not turn the oven on. My mind was on the "conversation"..........
See, I don't have this problem and can talk on the cell while driving cause I usually pay no attention to who is talking;) ( my husband) I just say "uh huh" a lot !

Well for starters: Here is a small sampling of OTHER countries that limit cell phone use.

Gee, if cell phone use is so "innocent" and has no impact on driving, I wonder why all of these countries went to the measure they did to limit use.

I wonder why, could it be that these countries know something that NA does not.

Australia - banned in all states, Finland, Italy,Switzerland, Spain, UK and many, many more countries that either ban cell phone use, or limit it to when your car is not running. Almost every other country from A - Z. Except of course the USA.

Several states have legislation pending that either bans cell phone use or limiting the use of cell phones while driving.

Connecticut - full ban, DC, New Jersery, New York, in addition several other states are debating a bill for cell phone limit or ban.

There is even a bill at the National level being debated.

In addition, there is a bill on a second reading in Ontario to ban cell phone use.

I guess these countries, states and province must have missed the one study that says cell phone use is not linked to an increase in accidents, fatalities and near accident.

Niner said:
:eek: :eek: :eek: is RIGHT!! geez... good thing I don't own a cell phone! Solves THAT problem!! :p
You better watch out the next time you drive down Foothills. I'll be the one waving to you with one hand, while holding onto my cell with the other!! :angel:

WebbyCat said:
Talking on cell phones while driving should be illegal. QUOTE] :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
WebbyCat said:
Using a hand held mobile phone and driving is illegal in over 30 countries, including the UK, those caught in the UK are usually prosecuted for dangerous or careless driving also.

Offenders are fined fined £30 initially - rising to a maximum £1,000 if their case goes to court.

Those caught breaking the ban will also get three penalty points on their driving licence for each offence, (a maximum of 12 points on a licence is an automatic driving ban).

Is this not the case in the USA?

There is not national ban on cell phones as far as I know.

It is a "patchwork" of different laws for different states.

Ontario is "proposing" a ban on some cell phone use, but I doubt it will go ahead.

I've known some people who shouldn't be allowed to have conversations while driving. Nevermind cell phone usage...

Toby said:
I've known some people who shouldn't be allowed to have conversations while driving. Nevermind cell phone usage...

Have you run into the minivan drivers on Louisiana highways? Brutal, just brutal.I don't know where they got permission to drive. LOL!

One difference between a cell phone conversation and talking to a passenger - the passenger is there being a second set of eyes if you get distracted.

Of course, I talk on the cell while driving, but I'm one of the safe ones, of course!

Are you kidding, the "soccer" moms running stop signs, speeding, driving like a maniac, so they can get their kids to school. While they are talking on a cell phone. They don't seem to "realize" that they put other people especially kids at risk.

How about a women who was driving and putting make-up on with BOTH hands........she had her kids in the back seat..........

Soccer Moms just won't stand for being outlawed...they just won't have it...:D

There was a case in Denver where a 16 year old was attempting to use his cell phone, and ran into a bicyclist on the shoulder, killing him. As part of his restitution, he had to give talks on the dangers of driving while using a cell phone. A very sad case.

I notice many drivers tend to look at their passenger while talking, instead of keeping their eyes on the road. I know it is courteous to look at who you are talking to, but not while driving.:doh: IMO, talking to a passenger can be just as distracting as talking on a hands-free cell.

CyberLaw said:
Well for starters: Here is a small sampling of OTHER countries that limit cell phone use.

Gee, if cell phone use is so "innocent" and has no impact on driving, I wonder why all of these countries went to the measure they did to limit use.

I wonder why, could it be that these countries know something that NA does not.

Australia - banned in all states, Finland, Italy,Switzerland, Spain, UK and many, many more countries that either ban cell phone use, or limit it to when your car is not running. Almost every other country from A - Z. Except of course the USA.

Several states have legislation pending that either bans cell phone use or limiting the use of cell phones while driving.

Connecticut - full ban, DC, New Jersery, New York, in addition several other states are debating a bill for cell phone limit or ban.

There is even a bill at the National level being debated.

In addition, there is a bill on a second reading in Ontario to ban cell phone use.

I guess these countries, states and province must have missed the one study that says cell phone use is not linked to an increase in accidents, fatalities and near accident.
you can't possibly compare other countries' laws to ours.
In Cost Rica on parts of the pacific coast, they don't even have doors on their homes because of low crime. Try that in our country!
Some countries ban many things ... things that would surprise you.
That is why we're a free country.
You can't single out cell phones while driving without giving the rest of the story.

Some people are irresponsible while driving, period. Others are not.
It really depends on the person, too.

Speeding is against the law, yet who doesn't do that???
Come on, fess up.
You would be lying if you said you didn't.
What about using blinkers?
Do you know how many accidents are caused because people don't use blinkers? You'd be surprised.
Driving drunk and speeding still far exceed the number of accidents involving cell phone usage.

I understand where you're coming from though, and I'm not saying it doesn't annoy me when people are on their cell phone and driving like idiots. But it's not everyone. There are people driving like idiots who aren't on cell phones. The cell phones just make it more annoying.

So the UK, Australia are considered "third world countries like Costa Rica".

As far as I know UK and Australia and all Europeans countries are extremely 'enlightened" for the safety of their citizens. They will enact laws that may infringe on an individual rights to endanger other people on the road, but if it saves lives then they look out for all people, not just the individual.

One of the differences is that some people feel they can do whatever they want as long as it does not impede on their personal automony. In other counties they will impede on a person automony, if it is in the "best interest" of all people.

We are not comparing housing standard between two countries, because if we are you would be amazed at the housing prices in the UK. A little rural house in the US may go for 70 - 80K and the same type of house in the UK will start at 300 K.

So housing standards and cell phone use in different counties are like apples and oranges and have no relevance.

Yes I was hit by a person on a cell phone, this women was have a argument with her husband while she was driving and was not fully concentrating on the road, but ticked off and yelling at the other person and was driving aggresive as a result of her anger. Her conversation spilled over to her driving.

Sorry I don't have to speed, as I always plan ahead for my trips, leave my self plenty of time and respect all people on the road and the rules of the road. After all, speeding causes accidents............

CyberLaw said:
So the UK, Australia are considered "third world countries like Costa Rica".

As far as I know UK and Australia and all Europeans countries are extremely 'enlightened" for the safety of their citizens. They will enact laws that may infringe on an individual rights to endanger other people on the road, but if it saves lives then they look out for all people, not just the individual.

One of the differences is that some people feel they can do whatever they want as long as it does not impede on their personal automony. In other counties they will impede on a person automony, if it is in the "best interest" of all people.

We are not comparing housing standard between two countries, because if we are you would be amazed at the housing prices in the UK. A little rural house in the US may go for 70 - 80K and the same type of house in the UK will start at 300 K.

So housing standards and cell phone use in different counties are like apples and oranges and have no relevance.

Yes I was hit by a person on a cell phone, this women was have a argument with her husband while she was driving and was not fully concentrating on the road, but ticked off and yelling at the other person and was driving aggresive as a result of her anger. Her conversation spilled over to her driving.

Sorry I don't have to speed, as I always plan ahead for my trips, leave my self plenty of time and respect all people on the road and the rules of the road. After all, speeding causes accidents............
So you never break laws?
You never speed?
Do you always use blinkers / turn signals?
Do you come to complete stops?
Do you ever engage in road rage?

I am just asking these questions to not only you but everyone because a lot of people who want to enforce certain laws do not always follow the laws already in place. I am just wondering if those people who are for banning cell phone usage follow the other laws that cause the most amounts of accidents in the country.

To back up my previous post:

The Most Common Causes of Accidents

Almost 18 million traffic accidents are reported in the United States annually, and more than 450,000 are reported in Canada each year. Human error is responsible for about 90 percent of these accidents.

The most frequent traffic violations committed by poor drivers are:

(1) speeding—the principal contributing factor in fatal and nonfatal traffic accidents;
(2) failing to yield…

More: http://www.britannica.com/ebi/article-197059
<!-- querybold:end -->

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member