Centuries-old "Viking death squad" graves reveal 54 skeletons, severed heads

Discussion in 'Up to the Minute' started by wfgodot, Jan 25, 2012.

1. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

In the long run - though really not long afterward - the English were worn down from fighting Vikings, and the Conquerer slipped in.

The Viking death squads who got a taste of their own medicine: Mass grave shows how the Anglo-Saxons hit back at invaders
    So - who exactly might these particular Vikings have been??
    more of the story, with skeletons & severed heads pics, at Daily Mail link above

2. Loading...

3. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

4. kgeaux

kgeaux New Member

I love history! I've read so much about Vicking invasions on Britain, so this is very interesting to me. Thanks for the link!

5. wfgodot

wfgodot Former Member

You're welcome! I love it too. My initial comment - about the Vikings wearing down the English and eventually allowing William of Normandy to conquer England - was really literally true; if English King Harold had not have had to fight King Harald III Hadrada's invading force from Norway (co-led by Harold's own brother, Tostig Godwinson; the English defeated the Norwegian king and Tostig at Stamford Bridge), then immediately moved his army hundreds of miles south when he heard that William's forces had invaded, the outcome of the latter fight might have been far different. The Conquerer did conquer, but was lucky that he faced, in 1066, a tired English army in order to do so.