GUILTY Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Discussion in 'Trials' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lilibet

Lilibet Watching and Waiting

I think you have tapped into the truth. I have suspected that Summer told Joey “No more.” I think she knew about Chase’s past and didn’t want him dragging their family down. If Joey finally took a stand against Chase instead of Summer we know that Chase would be furious...mostly at Summer. And the rest is tragic history.

TheRaven, lindugh, Hapworth and 15 others like this.
  2. mrjitty

mrjitty Well-Known Member

Yes.

There is a slip up in Chase's interview which I believe reveals Joey came not to Chick-Fil-A but to Chase's house. In my opinion they had a verbal fight. Joey went home and told Summer. Then he called Chase. Then Chase turned his phone off and drove over in a rage.

It's interesting he can't clearly say when was the last time but then (i believe) speaks from an experiential memory of the time before the last time, but accidentally reveals it was at his home and not CFA

I think like @Tortoise says, he was already contemplating the murders, but I believe that afternoon, while Joey was driving home he finally decided what he would do.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2019
  3. Niner

Niner Long time Websleuther

Back in the late 50s & early 60s my dad was a veterinarian (artifical insemination) for the cows at San Quentin (and all of Marin & Sonoma Counties). I remember I was about 7 or 8 and went with him on his rounds. They wouldn't let me in - I had to wait at the guards' gate...

4. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

I, perhaps look at the death penalty option more simplistically.

I ask myself these simple questions.

1. Is Charles Merritt one of the worst among other CA murderers? YES!

2. Does Charles Merritt deserve the harshest punishment allowed under CA law? YES!

3. Why do I think he deserves the harshest punishment allowable?

*. Murdered multiple victims in mass.

* Two of his victims were tiny children way under the age of 12.

* The murders were brutal overkills which were extremely heinous, and cruel.

* Motive to murder was for financial greed/gain, and to eliminate all eye witnesses.

* His choice of murder weapon he used against all 4.

Imo, it's just a no brainer for me when determining which sentence should be imposed fitting the crimes committed by CM.

Imo, for the jury to not hand down a recommendation of death, and instead go will a lower sentence than death, and recommend LWOP means they have given this hideous creature a break.. by not deeming him as one of the very worst... when there is no question he IS one of the worst.

The crimes he has done deserves the very harshest punishment allowed under CA law.

Only the punishment of death fits the 4 murders he did against all 4 of his victims...how he did them, why he did them, and what he used to end all of the beautiful lives taken by him.

Jmho

lindugh, Niner, Paulette and 15 others like this.
  5. MissJames

MissJames a yellowflutterby changed my life : )

No doubt . I was replying to a post about Chris Watts being moved to a prison out of state to lessen the threat .
    CW & CM will always need protection ...until they don’t ; )

Edmo, QueenBofOB, Lilibet and 5 others like this.
  6. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

He also commented on the thread that it's very rare for murders to occur in prisons.
    Someone had commented that child murderers get killed "all the time" in prison, but apparently it happens very rarely because prisons don't want to risk a lawsuit against them, so they take precautions to prevent it.
    Assault in prisons, however, has been increasing. Or at least the number of allegations have increased drastically.
    Apparently most of them have proved to be inconclusive.
    Probably because they can't find witnesses since nobody in prison is willing to talk. Just a guess. Imo

7. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Great observations.

I think he had trouble answering because he was thinking to himself about the "real actual last time he saw him" which would have been burying him in desert with rest of family, and he was struggling because he could not give that answer.
    Then the 2nd to last time he saw him was probably when he was in the act of killing him and he could not give that answer either.
    So the 3rd to last time he saw him when they were discussing (or arguing) about whatever news Joey was giving him was probably ok to use that answer and just leave out any arguing or yelling parts to make it seem like a normal business meeting.

I can see where that question stumped him.
    Its a great observation that he had major trouble with that question.

Hapworth, Niner, MsFacetious and 12 others like this.
  8. oceanblueeyes

oceanblueeyes Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but I have read many articles over the years about prison inmates. It's actually very rare for any inmate to be killed in GP.

As far as having a target in his back because he is a baby killer no longer makes him among the few who murdered children. He is only one among many.

Tragically our prisons have become filled more, and more ..with inmates who have murdered children, even those who raped children before murdering them, but rarely does any harm come nor are they often killed in GP.

If put in GP I think CM will fit right in. He has been in prison GP before.

Imoo

9. Longtimenoc

Longtimenoc Well-Known Member

I agree with you and Tortoise that there was advanced planning. Tortoise posted once that cell pings from Merritts phone were near the McStay home I think on the 2nd. It appears that he was looking for opportunity.

Does anyone recall why he said he dropped in and found MacGyver helping out with the painting? Wish I knew how many times he was near or at the residence days prior to the murders. I think MacGyver was very very fortunate that he escaped with his life.

TheRaven, lindugh, Niner and 11 others like this.
  10. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

McGyver said he saw Merritt there on Sunday 31st, and Tuesday 2nd. McGyver was also there on the 3rd but didn't see Merritt that time.

I haven't seen Merritt's cell phone records for the 31st but his phone was pinging off towers near the residence on Tuesday 2nd and Wednesday the 3rd. His phone was also off grid Thursday 4th until 9.36 am (later than usual for his phone) and when it connected he was travelling north on the i15 away from the residence. Potentially he could have been there 31st, 2nd, 3rd and 4th.

lindugh, MerBeach, Edmo and 9 others like this.
  11. Tortoise

I think there is much to be learned from what the killer knew but never said to the detectives when he had the opportunity and was asked about Joey's illness, when it was important to him that they think the family left of their own free will, Joey was probably just sick from stress, and had no enemies -

Merritt, who worked with McStay in his water features business, was arrested in 2014. Merritt had been working on a book about the McStay family murders when he was taken into custody, CBS News reported at the time.

In the book, titled "Afraid of the Light," Merrick claimed Joseph McStay had been concerned his wife may have been poisoning him.

California man guilty of killing family of 4 found in desert graves

JMO

lindugh, Niner, katydid23 and 8 others like this.
  12. Longtimenoc

Thank you so much. I wonder if the PT will use this evidence of premeditation in final arguments. They should. It's horrible.

QueenBofOB, Lilibet, MsBetsy and 5 others like this.
  13. Longtimenoc

I always thought that Joseph was suffering from a bad case of premonition. Like he had a vague sense of unease, kind of like mothers intuition. The unspeakable yet to come made him physically ill perhaps.

Hapworth, MerBeach, Niner and 9 others like this.
  14. Tortoise

I think Merritt was poisoning him, not to kill him but to make him weak.

JMO

15. Longtimenoc

Makes sense. At some point he began to realize he needed to rid himself of Summer also since she would uncover the thefts and prevent him from having any access to the business.

lindugh, QueenBofOB, Lilibet and 5 others like this.
  16. Hatfield

Hatfield Well-Known Member

Interesting. I wonder if M first attempted a poisoning of him and it didnt work. Maybe he was driving around his house to see if the affects of a poison worked on him.

17. mrjitty

Now that the conviction is in, I find this stuff by far the most fascinating.

IMO you picked up on a major clue here. Wonder if the detectives were on to this?

lindugh, MerBeach, Lilibet and 5 others like this.
  18. mrjitty

Like @Tortoise I suspect he was poisoning him for a long time.

Same as the Helen Bailey case

19. fridaybaker

fridaybaker Well-Known Member

Okay, if this is true, can we expect the same for Chase? Housed out of state?

Lilibet likes this.
  20. Tortoise

I think he'd been monitoring that for quite a while. He knew Joey was having problems playing soccer and paintball.

The symptoms I read about (can't remember where now) were nausea, vertigo, pains and weakness in his limbs. Those can all be symptoms of poisoning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.