Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
That is nuts! I think inmates and all the time they have on their hands can be very resourceful people.

One of my pet peeves is inmates being allowed to get married while incarcerated and conjugal visits. It's suppose to be punishment, not Club Med.
We pay for this crap too! At least you Californians do! Lol

Sometimes you scare me a little, Tortoise. You seem to have gotten right inside his head; that is, what you suggest may have been this killer's motivations and acts click together so well, so reasonably, that it finally all makes a terrible kind of sense in my head.
a055.gif

Thank you for your insight. This particular monster terrifies me, so I do want him unmasked. But suddenly, I'm not ready. I'm afraid.

Does understanding him as you do help you to feel less afraid of him, Tortoise? Or more afraid?
a095.gif
Ooh, that's hard to answer, because it's only an armchair opinion of him and not actual knowledge per se, but I would say that trying to understand crimes and their perpetrators and learning to identify their hallmarks, studying patterns and signs of deception, in general, is empowering. Not falling victim to society's and life's predators is empowering. Not being a victim is empowering. Helping others to see when they could be in danger, spotting when something doesn't feel, look or sound right, and learning skills to protect oneself in relationships and modelling that ability to self protect for our kids and our friends, even if it's not about the risk of being murdered or physically hurt but about being emotionally abused, is not to frighten but to help where help is needed with boundaries.

However, I realize that following true crime and dissecting monsters who have already carried out their evil deeds is not the same or anywhere near as hard as having to deal with a monster in one's own real life. Learning about it though is better than burying one's head in the sand, I would say.

JMO

And we pay for sex change operations for crying out loud!!!
I get it! And homeless drug users who poop in the streets sadly enough. Maybe an alternative sentence exists for CM! Lol
Kidding. Sort of; although it seems an appropriate sentence for him to spend his time under similar circumstances. Unfortunately such a punishment wouldn’t keep the general public safe. Ugh
Maybe those sentenced to DP or LWOP in California could earn their keep by cleaning up the muck others have created?!

Has the article by Law and Crime been posted where they describe what the defense plans to present to the jury in terms of "lingering doubt?"
It explains in more detail that they plan to tell the jury that they made the wrong decision, they got the wrong guy, hoping they can influence their decision when determining whether to sentence him to death.
I'm assuming it was but I didn't see it here. I wondered what people's response to that was, and if anyone, especially those who are experienced in law, have known this approach to work before.

Last edited:
Has the article by Law and Crime been posted where they describe what the defense plans to present to the jury in terms of "lingering doubt?"
It explains in more detail that they plan to tell the jury that they made the wrong decision, they got the wrong guy, hoping they can influence their decision when determining whether to sentence him to death.
I'm assuming it was but I didn't see it here. I wondered what people's response to that was, and if anyone, especially those who are experienced in law, have known this approach to work before.
There was a L&C article posted that sounds like what you're describing. I think if the DT goes that route they may insult the jury and their plan might backfire.

This article?

Here’s How Charles Merritt’s Attorneys Plan on Persuading Jurors at Sentencing for McStay Murders

Ooh, that's hard to answer, because it's only an armchair opinion of him and not actual knowledge per se, but I would say that trying to understand crimes and their perpetrators and learning to identify their hallmarks, studying patterns and signs of deception, in general, is empowering. Not falling victim to society's and life's predators is empowering. Not being a victim is empowering. Helping others to see when they could be in danger, spotting when something doesn't feel, look or sound right, and learning skills to protect oneself in relationships and modelling that ability to self protect for our kids and our friends, even if it's not about the risk of being murdered or physically hurt but about being emotionally abused, is not to frighten but to help where help is needed with boundaries.

However, I realize that following true crime and dissecting monsters who have already carried out their evil deeds is not the same or anywhere near as hard as having to deal with a monster in one's own real life. Learning about it though is better than burying one's head in the sand, I would say.

JMO
But some people have that intuitive skill. You have it; a keen sense of human nature. And you are gifted enough to put it in words for all to understand.

There was a L&C article posted that sounds like what you're describing. I think if the DT goes that route they may insult the jury and their plan might backfire.
That's the one.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. In order for them to make a decision based on any lingering doubt, they are basically saying they were unsure of their decision to have found him guilty.
The defense would basically be making the jury admit they made a mistake.

That's the one.
Yeah, it doesn't make sense. In order for them to make a decision based on any lingering doubt, they are basically saying they were unsure of their decision to have found him guilty.
The defense would basically be making the jury admit they made a mistake.

Maybe it's their last ditch effort to go for ineffective assistance of counsel for CM's appeal. It would make as much sense as "DK did it from Hawaii". :rolleyes:

Maybe it's their last ditch effort to go for ineffective assistance of counsel for CM's appeal. It would make as much sense as "DK did it from Hawaii". :rolleyes:
Only problem is...ineffective assistance of counsel appeal won't hold up as far as them not offering any mitigating evidence, because the Judge already required to have it in writing from the entire defense team that they were not presenting anything & also held an in camera (closed door) review on it. So they are shitouttaluck...lol

But of course I fully expect the defense team to harp on "lingering doubt" in their closing. The mongrels!

Last edited:
Only problem is...ineffective assistance of counsel appeal won't hold up as far as them not offering any mitigating evidence, because the Judge already required to have it in writing from the entire defense team that they were not presenting anything & also held an in camera (closed door) review on it. So they are shitouttaluck...lol

But of course I fully expect the defense team to harp on "lingering doubt" in their closing. The mongrels!

Actually, I think CM would rather get DP, I think he's scared sh*tless of being in general population and knows the chances are slim CA is going to execute him before he croaks of natural causes. He's probably safer on death row and if he behaves himself he can earn a few privileges. Without a job or other distractions, he can finally write his book! lol

Yeah, that really baffles me. Regardless of where we stand on this issue, if you're in prison despite what offense it is, a sex change should not even be an option. It's not a health issue.
Well, it is covered now because gender dysphoria is a medical diagnosis, but somehow I don't think this will be something Merrit will be concerned about.
His life will be miserable enough, although I'm sure he will invest much of his time working on his appeal.
Imo

I was struck by Tortoise's eval. of Merritt. If he is a true narcissist with sociopathy, he will continue to blame Joey for abandoning him, Summer for calling him out, the kids for being brats - all a twisted rationale for why they made him do what he did. I doubt he will ever reflect upon it deeply other than what it has done to mess up his life. Fortunately for the rest of us, he will, at least, be in a place where the prison walls will contain him until he dies.

What continues to baffle me is the way in which the matter of Tracey Riccobene fizzled out with not a word from either side.

No word from the prosecution about the defence's failure to call a logical witness.
No word from the defence through their PI, after claiming TR knew about evidence that was not public.

I know what attorneys say is not evidence and I know the jury can't consider matters not in evidence, but aside from that, what to make of it?

Is there going to be a surprise in defence closing in the penalty phase? An allegation perhaps that this was a "witness" the prosecutors had a duty to call and a hint that whatever statement she made originally is relevant to his continued professions of innocence?

Should the trial at least not have heard from the police or the FBI about why they turned her over to the defence?

Was this a set up by the defence, all along knowing she had no credibility, not intending to call her, so that they could attack Dan's alibi, and giving Merritt a loophole to claim ineffective assistance of counsel and/or prosecutorial misconduct?

What continues to baffle me is the way in which the matter of Tracey Riccobene fizzled out with not a word from either side.

No word from the prosecution about the defence's failure to call a logical witness.
No word from the defence through their PI, after claiming TR knew about evidence that was not public.

I know what attorneys say is not evidence and I know the jury can't consider matters not in evidence, but aside from that, what to make of it?

Is there going to be a surprise in defence closing in the penalty phase? An allegation perhaps that this was a "witness" the prosecutors had a duty to call and a hint that whatever statement she made originally is relevant to his continued professions of innocence?

Should the trial at least not have heard from the police or the FBI about why they turned her over to the defence?

Was this a set up by the defence, all along knowing she had no credibility, not intending to call her, so that they could attack Dan's alibi, and giving Merritt a loophole to claim ineffective assistance of counsel and/or prosecutorial misconduct?
I don't think TR would of been a very credible witness for the DT, and it would of opened up issues for the DT they wouldn't have wanted on cross by the PT i would think? So maybe they thought it wouldn't be such a good idea after all?

Yeah, that really baffles me. Regardless of where we stand on this issue, if you're in prison despite what offense it is, a sex change should not even be an option. It's not a health issue.
A person who is incarcerated mid-transition is a liability for the prison. It's the safety of the inmate and how far admin wants to go to protect said inmate. It comes down to $$$. Is it cheaper to keep patching the trans inmate up in medical (rape, etc.), keep them in seg, or complete the transition?
I don't have a clue how complete they go as far as surgery but I doubt it includes electrolysis, Adam's Apple and chin sculpting, and implants. More than likely it's just a cut and tuck, and monthly hormone or birth control pills.
The question is: How far does DOC go for women incarcerated with implants? Do they get their 10,000 mile lift or are they stuck as is? THAT is more of a cosmetic/vanity deal unless it was prior breast cancer, I wouldn't have a clue.
@Edmo? Can you shed any light on this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member