Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Discussion in 'Past Trial Discussion Threads' started by Tricia, Jan 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

We pay for this crap too! At least you Californians do! Lol

2. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

Ooh, that's hard to answer, because it's only an armchair opinion of him and not actual knowledge per se, but I would say that trying to understand crimes and their perpetrators and learning to identify their hallmarks, studying patterns and signs of deception, in general, is empowering. Not falling victim to society's and life's predators is empowering. Not being a victim is empowering. Helping others to see when they could be in danger, spotting when something doesn't feel, look or sound right, and learning skills to protect oneself in relationships and modelling that ability to self protect for our kids and our friends, even if it's not about the risk of being murdered or physically hurt but about being emotionally abused, is not to frighten but to help where help is needed with boundaries.

However, I realize that following true crime and dissecting monsters who have already carried out their evil deeds is not the same or anywhere near as hard as having to deal with a monster in one's own real life. Learning about it though is better than burying one's head in the sand, I would say.

JMO

MsBetsy, minusfour, bessie and 11 others like this.
  3. la2cabo

la2cabo Well-Known Member

And we pay for sex change operations for crying out loud!!!

4. mom2chloe

mom2chloe Well-Known Member

I get it! And homeless drug users who poop in the streets sadly enough. Maybe an alternative sentence exists for CM! Lol
    Kidding. Sort of; although it seems an appropriate sentence for him to spend his time under similar circumstances. Unfortunately such a punishment wouldn’t keep the general public safe. Ugh
    Maybe those sentenced to DP or LWOP in California could earn their keep by cleaning up the muck others have created?!

5. MsBetsy

MsBetsy Well-Known Member

Has the article by Law and Crime been posted where they describe what the defense plans to present to the jury in terms of "lingering doubt?"
    It explains in more detail that they plan to tell the jury that they made the wrong decision, they got the wrong guy, hoping they can influence their decision when determining whether to sentence him to death.
    I'm assuming it was but I didn't see it here. I wondered what people's response to that was, and if anyone, especially those who are experienced in law, have known this approach to work before.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    oceanblueeyes and wary like this.
  6. la2cabo

There was a L&C article posted that sounds like what you're describing. I think if the DT goes that route they may insult the jury and their plan might backfire.

7. la2cabo

This article?

Here’s How Charles Merritt’s Attorneys Plan on Persuading Jurors at Sentencing for McStay Murders

oceanblueeyes, Edmo, Tortoise and 2 others like this.
  8. citygirl

citygirl Well-Known Member

But some people have that intuitive skill. You have it; a keen sense of human nature. And you are gifted enough to put it in words for all to understand.

9. MsBetsy

That's the one.
    Yeah, it doesn't make sense. In order for them to make a decision based on any lingering doubt, they are basically saying they were unsure of their decision to have found him guilty.
    The defense would basically be making the jury admit they made a mistake.

10. Bernina

Bernina Well-Known Member

"Privatization of the Prison System"...that's as far as you need to go to understand why DOC is so messed up.

bessie, QueenBofOB, la2cabo and 6 others like this.
  11. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

Maybe it's their last ditch effort to go for ineffective assistance of counsel for CM's appeal. It would make as much sense as "DK did it from Hawaii". :rolleyes:

12. MrsPC

MrsPC Well-Known Member

Only problem is...ineffective assistance of counsel appeal won't hold up as far as them not offering any mitigating evidence, because the Judge already required to have it in writing from the entire defense team that they were not presenting anything & also held an in camera (closed door) review on it. So they are shitouttaluck...lol

But of course I fully expect the defense team to harp on "lingering doubt" in their closing. The mongrels!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  13. geevee

geevee Well-Known Stickie

Actually, I think CM would rather get DP, I think he's scared sh*tless of being in general population and knows the chances are slim CA is going to execute him before he croaks of natural causes. He's probably safer on death row and if he behaves himself he can earn a few privileges. Without a job or other distractions, he can finally write his book! lol

MerBeach, QueenBofOB, la2cabo and 5 others like this.
  14. Force Ten

Force Ten Well-Known Member

Yeah, that really baffles me. Regardless of where we stand on this issue, if you're in prison despite what offense it is, a sex change should not even be an option. It's not a health issue.

15. MsBetsy

Well, it is covered now because gender dysphoria is a medical diagnosis, but somehow I don't think this will be something Merrit will be concerned about.
    His life will be miserable enough, although I'm sure he will invest much of his time working on his appeal.
    Imo

MerBeach, QueenBofOB, Bernina and 3 others like this.
  16. thelmadawg

thelmadawg Well-Known Member

I was struck by Tortoise's eval. of Merritt. If he is a true narcissist with sociopathy, he will continue to blame Joey for abandoning him, Summer for calling him out, the kids for being brats - all a twisted rationale for why they made him do what he did. I doubt he will ever reflect upon it deeply other than what it has done to mess up his life. Fortunately for the rest of us, he will, at least, be in a place where the prison walls will contain him until he dies.

17. missingm

missingm Well-Known Member

The occurrence is so rare. In the aggregate I bet that hangnails cost more.

18. Tortoise

Tortoise Well-Known Member

What continues to baffle me is the way in which the matter of Tracey Riccobene fizzled out with not a word from either side.

No word from the prosecution about the defence's failure to call a logical witness.
    No word from the defence through their PI, after claiming TR knew about evidence that was not public.

I know what attorneys say is not evidence and I know the jury can't consider matters not in evidence, but aside from that, what to make of it?

Is there going to be a surprise in defence closing in the penalty phase? An allegation perhaps that this was a "witness" the prosecutors had a duty to call and a hint that whatever statement she made originally is relevant to his continued professions of innocence?

Should the trial at least not have heard from the police or the FBI about why they turned her over to the defence?

Was this a set up by the defence, all along knowing she had no credibility, not intending to call her, so that they could attack Dan's alibi, and giving Merritt a loophole to claim ineffective assistance of counsel and/or prosecutorial misconduct?

19. Karinna

Karinna Well-Known Member

I don't think TR would of been a very credible witness for the DT, and it would of opened up issues for the DT they wouldn't have wanted on cross by the PT i would think? So maybe they thought it wouldn't be such a good idea after all?

20. Bernina

Bernina Well-Known Member

A person who is incarcerated mid-transition is a liability for the prison. It's the safety of the inmate and how far admin wants to go to protect said inmate. It comes down to $$$. Is it cheaper to keep patching the trans inmate up in medical (rape, etc.), keep them in seg, or complete the transition?
    I don't have a clue how complete they go as far as surgery but I doubt it includes electrolysis, Adam's Apple and chin sculpting, and implants. More than likely it's just a cut and tuck, and monthly hormone or birth control pills.
    The question is: How far does DOC go for women incarcerated with implants? Do they get their 10,000 mile lift or are they stuck as is? THAT is more of a cosmetic/vanity deal unless it was prior breast cancer, I wouldn't have a clue.
    @Edmo? Can you shed any light on this?

travelbug, Lilibet, MerBeach and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.