Chase Merritt Charged W/Murder of Joseph, Summer, Gianni and Joe Jr McStay #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the link I posted (daily mail) "Now Merritt – who actually took a voluntary lie detector test at the time of their disappearance and was the last person to see Joseph alive – has decided to write a tell all book, in an effort to clear up the mystery." I've heard before that suspects or those who know they themselves may be a suspect or are guilty will sometimes get "someone" to give them a lie detector test. It's telling that he doesn't say with whom the test was taken. But, as I mentioned, I haven't followed the case until just doing a review this week of how it turned out. So maybe some of you guys discussed the polygraph long ago.

I confess to being an idiot who believed him, Joseph's best friend.

BBM:
I always heard them called "jackets".
Usually, the inmates get a hold of those before the convicted inmate (he's not a new fish because of his prior incarcerations) gets to the prison. And you are absolutely right about the MM as far as CM throwing their name around to get "street cred".
Anywhere the prison admin puts him, he still has to watch his back. Where there's a will, there's a way, and inmates have a lot of time to devise plans to get to targets.

They called it "Paperwork" in the county system, as well as people having "Snitch Jackets." Inmates are also able to communicate to other inmates from California to Boston with coded letters etc. They are EXTREMELY resourceful when they "investigate" each other. Now, they also smuggle cell phones in, so I can imagine they are receiving info MUCH quicker these days.

I also experienced inmates who were listed as a "witness" in cases they had no part of and were brought back to the County to be housed with someone who was on a hit list from prison. They know the law/rules and USE it for their gain, whatever that may be.

They called it "Paperwork" in the county system, as well as people having "Snitch Jackets." Inmates are also able to communicate to other inmates from California to Boston with coded letters etc. They are EXTREMELY resourceful when they "investigate" each other. Now, they also smuggle cell phones in, so I can imagine they are receiving info MUCH quicker these days.

I also experienced inmates who were listed as a "witness" in cases they had no part of and were brought back to the County to be housed with someone who was on a hit list from prison. They know the law/rules and USE it for their gain, whatever that may be.
This is chilling.Who knew?

I agree with you and Tortoise that there was advanced planning. Tortoise posted once that cell pings from Merritts phone were near the McStay home I think on the 2nd. It appears that he was looking for opportunity.

Does anyone recall why he said he dropped in and found MacGyver helping out with the painting? Wish I knew how many times he was near or at the residence days prior to the murders. I think MacGyver was very very fortunate that he escaped with his life.

True. McGyver was a sitting duck. He is very lucky. I wonder whist his thoughts are on this case now.

Well, I think the major difference is that Keyes had no problem admitting he was a murderer. Although he seemed to enjoy sharing all the brutal details of his crime with investigators, he was preoccupied with the fear that his young daughter would one day find out about the horrible things he did. Although he showed no remorse, he just couldn't bear the shame he would cause to his child.

Whereas Merritt doesn't seem to care about anyone but himself.
Imo

Imo, no matter what happened Keyes was going to find a way to kill himself once he was caught.

Sociopaths who are often narcissists like Merritt never care about how their children may be hurt by what they have done.

Merritt didn't give a flying flip about his children even before he made them children of a quadruple murderer.

Its heartbreaking actually how murderers like him will use their children as mere pawns to save their own worthless hide.

I'm glad he didn't put his children on the stand in the penalty phase even though he knew they would lie for him.

Sociopaths tend to see their children as mere ornaments, and see them as a mirror or extension of themselves, only there to put the sociopath in a better light for appearance sake.

Appearances are very important to one. Not what they truly are inside, but what they want others to think they are.

Having a wife/husband/partner or children helps them carry out their mask of deception by faking 'normalcy.'

They don't have any type of emotions or bonds normal parents deeply have for their children. They are simply there to make them look better.

That is why it never bothered him one bit if they became homeless or didn't have food to eat. It take ones with a conscience to really care about others. CM didn't nor does he care now

Imo, when he blasted to all ...who would listen.. how bad supposedly Summer was, and verbally critical of their two little sons he thought that is what normal people would do.

So he had to fake what he thought was normal in his sociopathic mind.....when in truth no normal minded true best friend would ever utter such hideous revolting things... especially under the trying circumstances surrounding the entire family vanishing into thin air.

What's even more disheartening is there were those who believed him at the time.

It does show how easily a sociopath can always seem to find a few who will believe their pathological lies no matter how odd their statements or lies may be.

Many SKs are sociopaths, and they were able to lie to all of their many victims, where they were able to lure their victims into going with them willingly at first.... rather than forcing them.

Its chilling how well many of them can deceive their targeted victims into believing them.

Jmhoo

Yes that is fascinating isn't it.

I commented about this before in relation to staging. The killer usually forgets to write any dialogue for the victim.

You also talked about things the killer would know, that no one else would know, that he would tell his attorneys about , as talking points etc.

I have wondered if that missing 'JosephJr laptop' might fit into that category. The D attorneys kept bringing that up, acting as if it held all this important financial information, and if it was a found, we would all know that CM was telling the truth about Joey being the one who created those checks, etc.

It makes me wonder if maybe Chase stole that laptop himself. And maybe that was what he used to create the checks. And he promptly destroyed or disposed of it after the killings?

Thus he knew of it's existence and fed the info to this team, so they could make it look shady. Implying DK, Mikey or McGyver took it instead.

You also talked about things the killer would know, that no one else would know, that he would tell his attorneys about , as talking points etc.

I have wondered if that missing 'JosephJr laptop' might fit into that category. The D attorneys kept bringing that up, acting as if it held all this important financial information, and if it was a found, we would all know that CM was telling the truth about Joey being the one who created those checks, etc.

It makes me wonder if maybe Chase stole that laptop himself. And maybe that was what he used to create the checks. And he promptly destroyed or disposed of it after the killings?

Thus he knew of it's existence and fed the info to this team, so they could make it look shady. Implying DK, Mikey or McGyver took it instead.

Yes good call. I suspect you are right.

For me it was always a big red flag that the defence didn't turn up any primary exhibits like Chase's passport, his computer gear, the cheque blanks etc etc

I can believe he might have thrown some things away but it seems odd they produced nothing

We will hear something since he's on the witness list.
Yes, I don't know who they're cutting off the list though. I think Imes said they could cut it to three maybe four, and they originally had

Tracy Russell - Summer's sister - skype
Kenneth Aranda - Summer's brother - skype
Summer's mother? Blanche
Patrick McStay
McGyver McCargar
Guy Joseph - Joey's friend
Sgt Ryan Smith
Sgt Edward Bachman?

Eliminated one witness (probably Bachman or Smith) - defense to stipulate to his date of birth for purposes of establishing his age.

I don't know if one of the officers is going to talk about his criminal record.

Yes, I don't know who they're cutting off the list though. I think Imes said they could cut it to three maybe four, and they originally had

Tracy Russell - Summer's sister - skype
Kenneth Aranda - Summer's brother - skype
Summer's mother? Blanche
Patrick McStay
McGyver McCargar
Guy Joseph - Joey's friend
Sgt Ryan Smith
Sgt Edward Bachman?

Eliminated one witness (probably Bachman or Smith) - defense to stipulate to his date of birth for purposes of establishing his age.

I don't know if one of the officers is going to talk about his criminal record.

I really hope L&C will have cameras in the court when CM's past is revealed to the jury by the PT. I believe, it will give the jury some peace of mind they have made the correct decision about him. Fingers crossed we will be able to see it.

Out of interest can Chase still write a book and profit from these murders?
He can write a book, however, my understanding is he cannot profit from the murders since he's the convicted killer. I'll do a little googling to see if this is accurate.

ETA: I did some research and found the answer to be clear as mud. There was a Son of Sam law that said the killer cannot profit, however, it appears the law was overturned. I think any profits have to be given to the victims, pay restitution and/or fines or be given to the victim's compensation board. In a nutshell I don't think Merritt can profit from the murders. If anyone else finds a different answer I would welcome the correction. The laws are very confusing, IMO. I think as a safeguard Joey and Summer's families should file a wrongful death suit and get a judgment to ensure that Merritt never, ever profits in any way.

Last edited:
With Hubby and I being somewhat "known in our communities" due to our businesses these many years, and hiring hundreds of people over the years, we have met our share of, shall I say, "real doozies".
After several very costly, financially and emotionally bad situations. I made him swear to me three things, or I would leave him.
1. If ever one of us feels there is someone in our lives that is destructive to our lives-they are history. Friends, employees or family members.
2. No one was to EVER have access to our bank accounts except us. EVER.
3. We are partners and best friends. We honestly communicate what's going on to each other, good, bad or indifferent.
We've been through some real hell over the last 30 years. But, together we are one.
I've envisioned Summer as being the same. However, I think Joey just had not had enough experiences to put him in that same way of thinking (yet).
If Merritt had not killed them all, I do think that Joey would have got there, which I believe would have made them very successful.

Imo, no matter what happened Keyes was going to find a way to kill himself once he was caught.

Sociopaths who are often narcissists like Merritt never care about how their children may be hurt by what they have done.

Merritt didn't give a flying flip about his children even before he made them children of a quadruple murderer.

Its heartbreaking actually how murderers like him will use their children as mere pawns to save their own worthless hide.

I'm glad he didn't put his children on the stand in the penalty phase even though he knew they would lie for him.

Sociopaths tend to see their children as mere ornaments, and see them as a mirror or extension of themselves, only there to put the sociopath in a better light for appearance sake.

Appearances are very important to one. Not what they truly are inside, but what they want others to think they are.

Having a wife/husband/partner or children helps them carry out their mask of deception by faking 'normalcy.'

They don't have any type of emotions or bonds normal parents deeply have for their children. They are simply there to make them look better.

That is why it never bothered him one bit if they became homeless or didn't have food to eat. It take ones with a conscience to really care about others. CM didn't nor does he care now

Imo, when he blasted to all ...who would listen.. how bad supposedly Summer was, and verbally critical of their two little sons he thought that is what normal people would do.

So he had to fake what he thought was normal in his sociopathic mind.....when in truth no normal minded true best friend would ever utter such hideous revolting things... especially under the trying circumstances surrounding the entire family vanishing into thin air.

What's even more disheartening is there were those who believed him at the time.

It does show how easily a sociopath can always seem to find a few who will believe their pathological lies no matter how odd their statements or lies may be.

Many SKs are sociopaths, and they were able to lie to all of their many victims, where they were able to lure their victims into going with them willingly at first.... rather than forcing them.

Its chilling how well many of them can deceive their targeted victims into believing them.

Jmhoo

From Patrick McStay.

Today I was shocked when the UPS man rang my doorbell and left a box for me. When I opened it was again shocked even more when I saw a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of beautiful Red Roses and arrangement. I was reminded at that point of all the things that we all went through on the internet and the people who all know who they are and what they did.

So I thought "what a wonderful person this is to sent me "Roses" to ease my troubles knowing a little kindness is so welcome at this time.

I'm going to share with you what the note said as it is so heartfelt and I thank Cabo for such a Kind and Generous Thoughts!

Note: To-Patrick McStay:: (I will use the WS name not the real name) La2Cabo::
Thank you so much for allowing for me to be on the journey w/you + for always being so graceful. I hope you can move forward and cherish the beautiful memories. Much love to you.

I Thank You La2Cabo for taking the ime and thinking of me at this time of need!

Patrick
I asked Roundhouseman to post this for me on WS.

Attachments

• 0F5AA45C-F3C0-4B51-86E1-417F3F102C3E.jpeg
    0F5AA45C-F3C0-4B51-86E1-417F3F102C3E.jpeg
    73.8 KB · Views: 70
  • C8F3062E-7EEA-4F24-B220-EFDC65D8BCB1.jpeg
    C8F3062E-7EEA-4F24-B220-EFDC65D8BCB1.jpeg
    87.9 KB · Views: 73
From Patrick McStay.

Today I was shocked when the UPS man rang my doorbell and left a box for me. When I opened it was again shocked even more when I saw a BEAUTIFUL bouquet of beautiful Red Roses and arrangement. I was reminded at that point of all the things that we all went through on the internet and the people who all know who they are and what they did.

So I thought "what a wonderful person this is to sent me "Roses" to ease my troubles knowing a little kindness is so welcome at this time.

I'm going to share with you what the note said as it is so heartfelt and I thank Cabo for such a Kind and Generous Thoughts!

Thank you so much for allowing for me to be on the journey w/you + for always being so graceful. I hope you can move forward and cherish the beautiful memories. Much love to you.

Patrick

@la2cabo What a lovely thoughtful thing to do!

@Roundhouseman So glad you’re there for the family!

From Patrick McStay.

Patrick

Beautiful flowers, what a sweet gesture @la2cabo! And thanks @Roundhouseman for passing on Patrick's message.

I've seen dozens of children over the last few years... newborn - 10 generally. I presume older than that people just leave them home. I disagree with them being in there because I'm in criminal court. You never know what kind of case is going to come up next.

I've only ever seen them asked to leave when it was a closed hearing though. So apparently others disagree with my opinion. :confused:

Just last month I was a juror in a federal court case here in Iowa. For 4 days the defendant's girlfriend and <6 month old daughter were present in the court room. The baby would fuss and mom would leave a bit till she settled down and then bring her back in.

I've personally seen inmates go from the County system to the State system in my almost 20 years in Law Enforcement in California. I worked in County Corrections for half of my career and visited several State Corrections Institutions during that time. CM, being WHITE, will NOT be accepted by ANYONE in state prison for his crimes. Especially BABY KILLERS! His own kind (Whites) will be responsible for him in State Prison, just a FACT, whether you want to believe that or not now. There will be pressure from "other" prison gangs for the Whites to "Take care of their own." This is a FACT, no matter what we on the outside think. This is the reality of prison life in California.

CM will HAVE to depend on the State for his safety while he is housed in prison, for the REST of his life on Earth. The two major prison gangs are the Aryan Brotherhood and Mexican Mafia, which are literally nationwide in the US.

CM attempted to say the MS Family fled to Mexico, which will make him points (NOT) with the MM in prison, let alone the AB. I seriously can't think of a "Most Wanted" type of inmate in prison than CM now.

He will literally need to be guarded 24 hours a day, for his last remaining days on Earth. Just an opinion from one who has also dealt with such inmates sentenced to life in prison in California.

To have a job, like you have Edmo, you would see some atrocious actions among inmates.:eek:
Something the general public are not aware of.
For some, who find it upsetting, if someone is rude to us, I don't envy what you have experienced.
As CM has been 'locked up' for such a long period already, I would think he has had many bad encounters.
MOO.

From Patrick McStay.

Patrick

With all the ugliness around us, this is just beautiful.:):)
Thank you, for letting us know, kindness exists even in horrific situations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member